Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Medicine, Science & Technology > Earth & Life Sciences > Animal Planet > The birds!!!
Search this Thread:
Pages (4): « First « 23 [4]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

Local time: 11:31 AM

post #46  quote:

I think they are oriole too. Let me look it up real quick.

this is a black hooded oriole. Man, that's neato.

Old Post 06-11-2006 03:51 AM
Click here to Send Whidden a Private Message View Whidden's Journal Find more posts by Whidden Add Whidden to your buddy list Send an AIM message to Whidden Whidden's MSN ID is whidden1@cox.net Click Here to Ignore Whidden REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Mr. F
U.S. soccer fan

Local time: 09:31 AM

post #47  quote:

We went to the zoo yesterday. They have lots of peahens and peacocks running loose all over the place. We saw a hen with 3 little chicks, one of the staff was feeding them so you could get just a couple of feet away. On the other side of the zoo we saw a peacock walking down the sidewalk. Damon imitated his call and the thing walked right up to him. It got about a yard from him,cocked its head sideways like it was trying to figure out what that thing is (they dont call em bird brains for nothing), and after a couple of minutes walked away. There must have been 20 tourists standing around taking pictures of the whole thing, it was awesome

Old Post 07-10-2006 07:31 PM
Click here to Send Mr. F a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. F Add Mr. F to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Mr. F REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #48  quote:

That's really cool, Ron. Did you guys get pictures of that?

Old Post 07-10-2006 08:06 PM
Click here to Send Lawless a Private Message View Lawless's Journal Visit Lawless's homepage! Find more posts by Lawless Add Lawless to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Lawless REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Mr. F
U.S. soccer fan

post #49  quote:

We pretty much never bring a camera since we go like once a week

Old Post 07-13-2006 12:29 AM
Click here to Send Mr. F a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. F Add Mr. F to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Mr. F REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #50  quote:

Sandy saw this woodpecker out the window today and asked me what it was. I look at it with the binocs for awhile, then searched and it was a Northern Flicker, which is a ant eating woodpecker.

Old Post 07-30-2006 09:30 PM
Click here to Send Whidden a Private Message View Whidden's Journal Find more posts by Whidden Add Whidden to your buddy list Send an AIM message to Whidden Whidden's MSN ID is whidden1@cox.net Click Here to Ignore Whidden REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #51  quote:

Might as well update. On tuesday we sat outside, and saw a rufous hummingbird hitting the honey suckle vines on top of a cedar.

I put a feeder down there today.

Also, about a month ago, I thought I saw the Red Headed Woodpecker again and was able to get closer, and not all of his head was pure red. I got a good look at him, and it was red bellied woodpecker. So I removed the red headed from the first post.

Also, in hindsight, that black throated green warbler was really just a Female Golden Finch, so I erased him.

Old Post 07-30-2006 09:41 PM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #52  quote:

Saw the Northern Flicker again today several times. Really is a wonderful bird.

Old Post 10-14-2006 10:38 AM

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #53  quote:

Nikki quotes for the last four pics.

#1 That's a pecker

#2 that's a baby pecker bird

#3 it's an old pecker bird

#4 it's a grandfather wood pecker who is one year old

Old Post 10-14-2006 06:31 PM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #54  quote:

Now I will always think of the Northern Flicker as the "Grandfather WoodPecker that is one year old".

Old Post 10-14-2006 06:40 PM

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #55  quote:

Are they all 'peckers' to her? That was so classic.

Old Post 10-14-2006 10:11 PM
Click here to Send Lawless a Private Message View Lawless's Journal Visit Lawless's homepage! Find more posts by Lawless Add Lawless to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Lawless REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #56  quote:

Dave, I saw something on the news a couple days ago, about a new bird found, in Columbia. Did you see this?

This undated photo shows a new bird that has been discovered in a previously unexplored Andean cloud forest, conservation groups have announced, Bogota, Colombia, Monday, Oct. 9, 2006. The bright yellow and red-crowned Yariguies brush-finch was named for the indigenous tribe that once inhabited the mountainous area where it was discovered and which committed mass suicide instead of submitting to Spanish colonial rule. (AP Photo/ Blanca Huertas)

Old Post 10-14-2006 10:13 PM

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #57  quote:

Colorful New Bird Found in Colombia

By LAUREN DAKE

BOGOTA, Colombia Oct 9, 2006 (AP) A colorful bird new to science has been discovered in a remote Andean cloud forest, spurring efforts to protect the area, conservation groups have announced.

The bright yellow and red-crowned Yariguies brush-finch was named for the indigenous tribe that once inhabited the mountainous area where it was discovered and which committed mass suicide instead of submitting to Spanish colonial rule.

The discovery, published in the Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club, comes at a crucial time for conservationists. Thanks in part to the discovery, the government has decided to set aside 500 acres of the pristine cloud forest where it lives to create a national park.

Yves De Soye, of U.K.-based Birdlife International, a conservation group, said "such discoveries are very important calling attention to unprotected, vulnerable areas."

The small bird can be distinguished from its closest relative by its solid black back and the lack of white marks on its wings.

"The bird was discovered in what is the last remnants of cloud forest in that region," Camila Gomez, of the Colombia conservation group ProAves, said on Monday. "There are still lots of undiscovered flora and fauna species that live in the area."

"There are about two new birds found in the world every year," Thomas Donegan, the British half of an Anglo-Colombian research duo which discovered the bird, told The Associated Press on Monday. "It's a very rare event."

To access the bird's isolated habitat, Donegan and partner Blanca Huertas regularly hiked 12 hours into the nearly impenetrable jungle, depending on helicopters to drop off supplies at mountain peaks 10,000 feet above sea level.

"We first went to Yariguies about three years ago," Donegan said. "It's a huge patch of isolated forest that no one knew about, not even in Colombia."

The new finch, the size of a fist, is native to Colombia's eastern Andean range and considered by its discoverers to be near threatened and in need of close monitoring to prevent it winding up on a list of about 100 bird species endangered in Colombia.

One of the two birds caught by the team was released unharmed after they took pictures and DNA samples, while the other died in captivity.

Donegan said this is the first time researchers were able to confirm a new bird without having to kill it.

The last new bird discovery in Colombia was a Tapaculos species found in the south last year.

With as many as 1,865 different species, Colombia has long been considered a bird watchers' paradise, albeit a risky one because of the country's four-decade-old civil war and drug trafficking.

In 1998, rebels kidnapped four American bird watchers who were later found unharmed.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Old Post 10-14-2006 10:14 PM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #58  quote:

I did a thread on it, and had pics of the birds and the mammals and articles, the whole nine yards, and I have no idea where I put or where it wound up.

I don't even remember the name of the thread, or else I would search for it.

Old Post 10-14-2006 10:58 PM

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #59  quote:

Oh, well then, I guess that you should make another!

Old Post 10-14-2006 11:47 PM
Time: 05:31 PM Post New Thread   
Pages (4): « First « 23 [4]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Medicine, Science & Technology > Earth & Life Sciences > Animal Planet > The birds!!!
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: