Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Sports & Recreation > International Soccer > USA ranked #6
Search this Thread:
Pages (4):  [1] 23 » Last »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Mr. F
U.S. soccer fan

Local time: 11:27 PM

USA ranked #6 post #1  quote:

In the latest FIFA rankings the USA earned its highest ranking ever- 6th, ahead of soccer powerhouses such as France, England , Portugal , Spain, Germany, and Italy way down in 14th.

The fact that Mexico moved into fifth totally ruined any joy in the new news for me. Despite having beaten Mexico on several occasions (including a 2-0 victory in the world cup), the US has never been ranked higher than their bitter rivals. Maybe if the US can manage a Gold Cup championship (combined with Mexico's early exit) it will finally happen

Old Post 07-20-2005 10:21 PM
Click here to Send Mr. F a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. F Add Mr. F to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Mr. F REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

Local time: 07:27 AM

post #2  quote:

Who does these rantings ... is it to do with points in the last international games? ... on stats or on predictions of standard?

Old Post 07-20-2005 10:47 PM
Click here to Send flying panda a Private Message View flying panda's Journal Find more posts by flying panda Add flying panda to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore flying panda REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Mr. F
U.S. soccer fan

post #3  quote:

FIFA has a whole procedure with points being awarded for matches in accordance with the opponents ranking.

Suffice it to say the process is horribly complicated, I read through it once on FIFA's web site and had a headache for a week.

One thing most people agree on- the process gives equal stature to all qualifying groups, therefore inflating the ratings of countries from CONCACAF and Africa.

Old Post 07-20-2005 11:01 PM
Click here to Send Mr. F a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. F Add Mr. F to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Mr. F REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #4  quote:

so there not intirely based on whose the better team, because if one team have a bad day, and say they were 3rd, and lose to a team that was 25th, that team would go down the rankings, even though they were much better on paper ...

Old Post 07-20-2005 11:04 PM
Click here to Send flying panda a Private Message View flying panda's Journal Find more posts by flying panda Add flying panda to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore flying panda REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Mr. F
U.S. soccer fan

post #5  quote:

Yep. The rankings are about how the teams have performed recently, not opinions about who has the better team. So if somebody like Sri Lanka manages to beat Brazil expect them to move up the next months rankings like a skyrocket

Old Post 07-20-2005 11:09 PM

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #6  quote:

does all this included friendlies? It would make sence if it did, what would be the point of friendlies if it counted to nothing

Old Post 07-20-2005 11:13 PM

Mr. F
U.S. soccer fan

post #7  quote:

Yes it does. However matches are weighted according to importance.

ps I was wrong about the regions being treated equally

For 2005, the following weighting factors will apply:

UEFA x 1.00
CONMEBOL x 0.99
CAF x 0.96
CONCACAF x 0.94
AFC x 0.93
OFC x 0.93

My latest headache I am blaming on you for making me read the procedures again

Old Post 07-20-2005 11:22 PM

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #8  quote:

Oooo, interesting, so those that play in the the UEFA chapianships will get a better ranking

Old Post 07-20-2005 11:24 PM

Mr. F
U.S. soccer fan

post #9  quote:

Friendly match x 1.00
Continental championship preliminary x 1.50
World Cup preliminary match x 1.50
Continental championship finals match x 1.75
FIFA Confederations Cup match x 1.75
World Cup finals match x 2.00

I believe that would be a continental finals match- so yes

Old Post 07-20-2005 11:28 PM

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #10  quote:

no wonder Brazil are so high, they've been in more world cup finals

Old Post 07-20-2005 11:31 PM

Mr. F
U.S. soccer fan

post #11  quote:

It only goes back 8 years , with recent years bearing more weight

Old Post 07-20-2005 11:37 PM

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #12  quote:

i also supose that winning a world cup would boost your raiting right to No. 1. and not just being in the final

Old Post 07-20-2005 11:45 PM

Mr. F
U.S. soccer fan

post #13  quote:

The winner is always #1 in the next months rankings.

I wonder what would happen if Senegal won the cup, they still might not have enough points to be #1

Old Post 07-20-2005 11:59 PM

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #14  quote:

I take it Senegal are really low then ... i doubt they could get a good enough team together

Old Post 07-21-2005 12:04 AM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #15  quote:

To tell the truth I'm supprised England are that high on the list. I would put them just outside the top ten.

Mind you that due to my disslike of Sven Goran Eriksson as England coach and the fact that he plays almost everyone of the same loosing players from the last World Cup and European Cup in any competitive match.

Old Post 07-21-2005 12:51 AM
Click here to Send White Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by White Tiger Add White Tiger to your buddy list Reply w/Quote
Time: 07:27 AM Post New Thread   
Pages (4):  [1] 23 » Last »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Sports & Recreation > International Soccer > USA ranked #6
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: