Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Politics & Government > Law > Make My Day
Search this Thread:
Pages (4): « First « 23 [4]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
TearUUp
Definitively Illumined

Local time: 05:05 AM

post #46  quote:

Good story OBAF!!! I remember once when I was a kid hearing about this guy that ran a locksmithing operation and made duplicate keys of everyone that walked into his business! He wound up going on a massive burglary spree on all the houses that he had helped his customers get back into and cars were stolen, etc. The funny thing...the guy was like 75 years old!!!

Old Post 01-22-2004 03:15 PM
Click here to Send TearUUp a Private Message Find more posts by TearUUp Add TearUUp to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore TearUUp REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

oldbutafan
The Advocate

Local time: 06:05 AM

Charges post #47  quote:

Word here is that not only did the police charge Mr. De Mar, but they charged the intruder with a "lesser charge" than they could have.

Apparently with the charges as they stand Mr. De Mar cannot claim "neccescity", thus it hurts his defense and it also opens the door for a lawsuit by the criminal.

I don't know about level of charges ... maybe tear does ? ... but I am just trying to figure out why these folks are exacerbating the situation for Mr. De Mar.

Old Post 01-22-2004 03:29 PM
Click here to Send oldbutafan a Private Message Find more posts by oldbutafan Add oldbutafan to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore oldbutafan REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

TearUUp
Definitively Illumined

post #48  quote:

Does this help?

Prosecutors declined to charge DeMar in the shooting because they concluded he acted in self-defense. They did charge him with violating the North Shore suburb's handgun ban and with breaking a state law by failing to renew his Illinois Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card after it expired in 1988. The first charge carries a $750 fine; the second up to a year in jail, a $2,500 fine or court supervision or probation.

That DeMar would face any charges in a case of self-defense irked some in Wilmette and elsewhere. But officials had little choice since DeMar violated the handgun ban.

That fact won't mollify many gun-rights advocates, some of whom packed a village board meeting Tuesday to complain that DeMar should not be punished for defending his family. "My Plan A is to call 911 and keep the family upstairs," said one Wilmette resident. "But my Plan B is to have a loaded firearm and put a bullet in the intruder."

Despite the emotional meeting, there's no reason to repeal Wilmette's ban, which was enacted in 1989. Certainly the value of a handgun ban in a low-crime community like Wilmette is mainly symbolic. This is a town, after all, that has had no homicides since 2000, and averages only a handful of other serious crimes every year.

If I go further, it dips into Gun Bans and Firearm laws which is a whole other topic!

Old Post 01-22-2004 03:51 PM
Click here to Send TearUUp a Private Message Find more posts by TearUUp Add TearUUp to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore TearUUp REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

oldbutafan
The Advocate

post #49  quote:

Tear ... I guess I wasn't clear ...

The Wilmette Police apparently charged the INTRUDER with a lesser charge than they could have, making it harder for DeMar to argue HIS case as well as leaving him open to being sued by the guy he shot ... because with the level at which the INTRUDER is charged, DeMar can't claim "neccesity".

From the previous letter/article:

Billings [the intruder] was caught at a nearby hospital and charged with felony residential burglary and possession of a stolen car, authorities said

Old Post 01-22-2004 04:54 PM
Click here to Send oldbutafan a Private Message Find more posts by oldbutafan Add oldbutafan to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore oldbutafan REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

Local time: 12:05 PM

post #50  quote:

quote:
TearUUp said this in post #46 :
Good story OBAF!!! I remember once when I was a kid hearing about this guy that ran a locksmithing operation and made duplicate keys of everyone that walked into his business! He wound up going on a massive burglary spree on all the houses that he had helped his customers get back into and cars were stolen, etc. The funny thing...the guy was like 75 years old!!!

That sounds like the Deacon Brodie story (famous in this part of the world) the inspiration for Dr Jekkly and Mr Hyde.
And that is my useless bit of information for today

Old Post 01-22-2004 04:59 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

TearUUp
Definitively Illumined

post #51  quote:

Aha...my bad! They probably charged the criminal with "Unlawful entry" or something similar! Who knows? They have taken the focus off the criminal and focused the crime on the INNOCENT guy!

Old Post 01-22-2004 05:09 PM

oldbutafan
The Advocate

post #52  quote:

quote:
TearUUp said this in post #51 :
Aha...my bad! They probably charged the criminal with "Unlawful entry" or something similar! Who knows? They have taken the focus off the criminal and focused the crime on the INNOCENT guy!

This is absolutely criminalizing the victim.

People are now saying DeMar should sue the Police and those arrogant Trustees for failing to protect him.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I have a lot of respect for Law Enforcement ... but why DIDN'T they increase surveilance ? And why did they take so long ... 13 minutes ! ... to respond ? The Police were aware of the situation and it's not like the police are overwhelmed by a heavy crime load in that area ! 13 minutes must have felt like a lifetime to Mr. De Mar.

I find it all very suspicious.

Old Post 01-22-2004 05:32 PM

TearUUp
Definitively Illumined

post #53  quote:

I agree with that! I am not one to call the cops...I myself DO NOT LIKE them, but I will not bad mouth em'...but for them to downplay the criminal and to criticize DeMar...hmmmm???

Old Post 01-22-2004 05:41 PM
Time: 12:05 PM Post New Thread   
Pages (4): « First « 23 [4]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Politics & Government > Law > Make My Day
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: