Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > General Discussion > Does IM make U dum?
Search this Thread:
Pages (2): « 1 [2]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
doyoulikepie75
Veteran

Local time: 09:07 AM

post #31  quote:

Man. I love the stuff. Not for time-saving reasons though - I mean, I'd feel like punching myself if I typed that crazy language. But it does wonders for your self-esteem, seeing your typing up against somebody elses.

"Ha! I'm *way* smarter than this guy! Look at his terrible spelling!"

Old Post 10-01-2005 03:29 AM
Click here to Send doyoulikepie75 a Private Message Visit doyoulikepie75's homepage! Find more posts by doyoulikepie75 Add doyoulikepie75 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore doyoulikepie75 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Pippin
INReview Maven

Local time: 03:07 PM

post #32  quote:

I can't stand shorthand. I'm going to be terrible in college when I have to take notes quickly because it took me years and years before I would start using 'w/' instead of 'with' when I am in a hurry.

I have only two friends on MSN that overuse IM shorthand (I'm very lucky that most of my friends know how to spell correctly), and when I can no longer stand to try and figure out what they are saying I just tell that I need them to write legibly because I can't read what they are writing.

If I quote someone on here that used IM lingo I usually correct it in the quote.

Most of the people in my English class who use IM lingo have no idea how to spell correctly, or where to add a comma, or when to end a sentence. They are just horrible at the class and they try to use their computer language skills in their essays and can't figure out why they get poor grades. I agree with whoever said that they write their posts like an essay. I try to do that, except sometimes the post just flows better with the occasional "gonna" and "kinda."

Old Post 10-03-2005 02:02 AM
Click here to Send Pippin a Private Message Find more posts by Pippin Add Pippin to your buddy list Pippin's MSN ID is persephone@ados.com Click Here to Ignore Pippin REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

schmiggens
Outrageous

Local time: 07:07 AM

post #33  quote:

quote:
becker said this in post #30 :
I don't think IM makes you dum ......

I think it's just another step in our evolution.

The old and still in use Citizen"s Band Radios uses numbers to communicate with each other.

A CB radio is your best friend when you are traveling on Interstates. The truckdrivers are always chatting and warn each other about "Bears" and locations. They are great when you need directions. But you better know the lingo.

IM language serves to save time and money for the users.

Nothing dumb about that.

I think that's a good point, every industry and sub-culture has it's own jargon.

My b/f does 3D modelling and he goes on about things like "greebles" and "nernies" which is gibberish tio me, but to people in the know it's a term for little things you put on big things to make them seem bigger (or something).

if you're not into IM, you don't need to know the language, if you're not into HTML, you don't need to know the language, etc, etc, etc.

Old Post 10-03-2005 09:33 AM
Click here to Send schmiggens a Private Message Visit schmiggens's homepage! Find more posts by schmiggens Add schmiggens to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore schmiggens REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Spaliznad
yup

Local time: 05:07 PM

post #34  quote:

I find it kind of funny that, in a thread about how we should all type out full sentences using proper grammer, there are so many grammatical errors.

Old Post 10-22-2005 04:59 AM
Click here to Send Spaliznad a Private Message View Spaliznad's Journal Find more posts by Spaliznad Add Spaliznad to your buddy list Send an AIM message to Spaliznad Send a Yahoo message to Spaliznad Click Here to Ignore Spaliznad REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

Local time: 11:07 PM

post #35  quote:

Well I dont understand wot u mean ...

Old Post 10-22-2005 11:00 AM
Click here to Send flying panda a Private Message View flying panda's Journal Find more posts by flying panda Add flying panda to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore flying panda REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Spaliznad
yup

post #36  quote:

quote:
Pippin said this in post #32 :
I can't stand shorthand. I'm going to be terrible in college when I have to take notes quickly because it took me years and years before I would start using 'w/' instead of 'with' when I am in a hurry.

Trust me, when you start taking massive amounts of notes in a short period of time, you should have NO problem using shorthand. Hell, I've nearly created my own language.

Old Post 10-23-2005 03:36 AM
Click here to Send Spaliznad a Private Message View Spaliznad's Journal Find more posts by Spaliznad Add Spaliznad to your buddy list Send an AIM message to Spaliznad Send a Yahoo message to Spaliznad Click Here to Ignore Spaliznad REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #37  quote:

any good university student knows that Spaliznad

Old Post 10-23-2005 08:09 AM
Click here to Send flying panda a Private Message View flying panda's Journal Find more posts by flying panda Add flying panda to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore flying panda REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

Local time: 06:07 PM

post #38  quote:

my notes normally consist of doodles and drool marks from napping.

I hate class. I'm such a terrible student.

Old Post 10-23-2005 09:15 AM
Click here to Send Dekka00 a Private Message View Dekka00's Journal Visit Dekka00's homepage! Find more posts by Dekka00 Add Dekka00 to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #39  quote:

`i use an adictophone so i dont need to either listen or take notes ... its great

Old Post 10-23-2005 12:30 PM

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

Local time: 03:07 PM

post #40  quote:

Funny, people now don't have enough time to spell out what they want to say.

There is no emoticon to express my anger.

-HECK!

Old Post 10-31-2005 08:42 PM
Click here to Send HECK! a Private Message View HECK!'s Journal Find more posts by HECK! Add HECK! to your buddy list Send an AIM message to HECK! Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
peregr!n
Mutsumi Otohime

post #41  quote:

I use normal language in IM and text, unless I don't have enough space.

However, I do use smilies quite a bit ^_^ And so have the tendency to say "lol" when i'm on the phone to people...yeah, that's embarrassing...

MUM: You're STILL on the computer!

ME: Lol, yeah...

MUM: What?

ME: I mean....hee hee hee...*gulp*

Old Post 02-11-2006 10:03 PM
Click here to Send peregr!n a Private Message Find more posts by peregr!n Add peregr!n to your buddy list Send an AIM message to peregr!n peregr!n's MSN ID is warrior_hobbit Click Here to Ignore peregr!n REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

BigBonanza
Enthusiast

Local time: 06:07 PM

post #42  quote:

One day we will stop and wonder what happened to the English language.

Old Post 02-22-2006 11:59 PM
Click here to Send BigBonanza a Private Message Find more posts by BigBonanza Add BigBonanza to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore BigBonanza REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

bigbee1
Qualified Rookie

post #43  quote:

i simply cant stand this new language!

Old Post 02-24-2006 08:08 AM
Click here to Send bigbee1 a Private Message Find more posts by bigbee1 Add bigbee1 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore bigbee1 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Dreamzwalker
Agent

post #44  quote:

Spell checker makes you dumb as well. Because you start relying more on it rather then the proper spelling of words. Easier to just let spell checker do it for you

Old Post 08-03-2006 01:07 AM
Click here to Send Dreamzwalker a Private Message View Dreamzwalker's Journal Find more posts by Dreamzwalker Add Dreamzwalker to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Dreamzwalker REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote
Time: 11:07 PM Post New Thread   
Pages (2): « 1 [2]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > General Discussion > Does IM make U dum?
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: