Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > The World > Scotland Involved In Slave Trade (Black Holocaust)
Search this Thread:
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

Local time: 03:24 PM

post #31  quote:

I would have agreed with you this time Malcolm however post #15 seems to be mostly about me asking how this thread changed from it's original topic.

In response to Simco's post I will say this. Glasgow was historically a big slave port I believe. However the Scots were also one of the prime movers in the abolition of slavery. I think that they were the first British country to free slaves and abolish the slave trade.

Also, after looking through this thread again, in response to Malcoms first post, You CAN'T call Glasgow the New York of Scotland. Glasgow is the Glasgow of Scotland. It has been a big city far longer than the USA's New York, indeed it has been around longer than the USA itself. I take offence in the fact that you would demote one of the biggest cities in the UK to being a second rate version of an American city. If any thing Glasgow is the London or the Liverpool of Scotland with Edinbuorgh being the other alternative.

Old Post 07-19-2006 03:13 AM
Click here to Send White Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by White Tiger Add White Tiger to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #32  quote:

Hecks right Glasgow is more like Liverpool ( hevay industry ) wheras Edinburgh is like ( big businees and capitals cities).

Anyway I have been thinking maybe Malcolm would like to go to Glasgow and tell the Weegies about how thay are responsible for slavery. May I suggest an area called Castlemilk at say around 1.00 am on a Saturday

Old Post 07-19-2006 03:36 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

simco
Enthusiast

Local time: 10:24 AM

post #33  quote:

quote:
malcolm xx said this in post #30 :

What did he say? Did he read post # 15? Has anyone read post #15? Why hasn't his sources been questioned? or motives? Isn't anyone curious to how[why?] someone could write post #15 BUT HAS NEVER SEEN[or set foot in] THAT COUNTRY ? How can anyone to write such fiction?

Simco think for yourself.

Malcolm, if I were not such an open-minded person, I may have taken offense to your implication that I am mindless sheep...

Just to make sure that I wasn't being unfair though, I went back to post 15 and you know what I found? I found a Scot, posing questions about the country that you were using to be-rate his. BTW, I am still waiting on the research that you were doing since that post--back in MAY... Also, you don't have to GO to Zimbabwe in order to find out about it.. TV is riddled with information, the internet is a useful tool, and if you think that neither are reliable sources, there are people FROM there who live on your street or in your neighbourhood, (which I would find to be a more reliable source), although one will never know the FULL truth unless it is experienced first-hand. On that note, I would like to turn your own question back around on you... Have YOU ever been to Scotland?

I appreciate your response to my question White Tiger... it's refreshing....

Old Post 07-19-2006 07:23 PM
Click here to Send simco a Private Message Find more posts by simco Add simco to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore simco REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #34  quote:

quote:
White Tiger said this in post #31 :
I would have agreed with you this time Malcolm however post #15 seems to be mostly about me asking how this thread changed from it's original topic.

In response to Simco's post I will say this. Glasgow was historically a big slave port I believe. However the Scots were also one of the prime movers in the abolition of slavery. I think that they were the first British country to free slaves and abolish the slave trade.

Also, after looking through this thread again, in response to Malcoms first post, You CAN'T call Glasgow the New York of Scotland. Glasgow is the Glasgow of Scotland. It has been a big city far longer than the USA's New York, indeed it has been around longer than the USA itself. I take offence in the fact that you would demote one of the biggest cities in the UK to being a second rate version of an American city. If any thing Glasgow is the London or the Liverpool of Scotland with Edinbuorgh being the other alternative.

I mean't post #16. At the least, can WE agree that what was said was mean and unfair? Why are you not able to critcize one of your countrymen? Will you have this same attitude if an similar post is written about your country?

Old Post 07-19-2006 11:48 PM
Click here to Send malcolm xx a Private Message Find more posts by malcolm xx Add malcolm xx to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore malcolm xx REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #35  quote:

quote:
lodgebo said this in post #32 :
Hecks right Glasgow is more like Liverpool ( hevay industry ) wheras Edinburgh is like ( big businees and capitals cities).

Anyway I have been thinking maybe Malcolm would like to go to Glasgow and tell the Weegies about how thay are responsible for slavery. May I suggest an area called Castlemilk at say around 1.00 am on a Saturday

Does Scotland have a Black pop? I have never seen a Black person wear plaid? If yes, I put Scotland on list to visit.

Old Post 07-19-2006 11:54 PM
Click here to Send malcolm xx a Private Message Find more posts by malcolm xx Add malcolm xx to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore malcolm xx REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Sierradaddy
Days of Future Past...

Local time: 09:24 AM

post #36  quote:

quote:
malcolm xx said this in post #35 :

Does Scotland have a Black pop? I have never seen a Black person wear plaid? If yes, I put Scotland on list to visit.

Are you saying that the only countries worth visiting are those with a black population? I hope not, because that's such a dumb thing to say...

Old Post 07-20-2006 12:21 AM
Click here to Send Sierradaddy a Private Message Find more posts by Sierradaddy Add Sierradaddy to your buddy list Sierradaddy's MSN ID is smoothline98@hotmail.com Reply w/Quote

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

Local time: 07:24 AM

post #37  quote:

quote:
Sierradaddy said this in post #36 :

Are you saying that the only countries worth visiting are those with a black population? I hope not, because that's such a dumb thing to say...

I'm with you...

Old Post 07-20-2006 01:03 AM
Click here to Send Lawless a Private Message View Lawless's Journal Visit Lawless's homepage! Find more posts by Lawless Add Lawless to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Lawless REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #38  quote:

quote:

Malcom, maybe your points would be qualified if you actually did a little research. Scotland has a black population. Scottish Freemason's, for example, have admitted people regardless of race for over a century.

-HECK!

Old Post 07-20-2006 05:46 PM
Click here to Send HECK! a Private Message View HECK!'s Journal Find more posts by HECK! Add HECK! to your buddy list Send an AIM message to HECK! Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #39  quote:

quote:

Well yeah shockingly we actually do have a black population. In fact Malcolm we have a population of balck people who are related to the slaves that were freed when slavery was abolished.

Old Post 07-20-2006 06:45 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #40  quote:

Might I point out that America had a civil war over Slavery. It didn't get that bad in Britain.

Old Post 07-20-2006 07:33 PM
Click here to Send White Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by White Tiger Add White Tiger to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

hazel_dragoneye
[Why Pink?] [Ignore User]

post #41  quote:

quote:
malcolm xx said this in post #1 :

Not until Act Of Union of 1707 was Scotland allowed to participate in colonial trade.

Why are you so amazed that Scotland was involved in the slave trade? Did you ever read any of Frederick Douglass's writings? He describes how African citizens were involved in kidnapping women and children (mostly children) and selling them into slavery and thus making big bucks. He also goes onto describing how they were paid.

The kidnappers were payed based upon how many people they caught. When tribes fought over land or resources, the losing tribe would be sold into slavery. They could either be slaves of the winning tribe or sold abroad.

Almost every European country was involved in the slave trade because it was cheap labor.

Old Post 07-21-2006 12:41 AM
Click here to Send hazel_dragoneye a Private Message Find more posts by hazel_dragoneye Add hazel_dragoneye to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore hazel_dragoneye REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

simco
Enthusiast

post #42  quote:

It would seem that the only thing that we seem to agree on is that Scotland had some involvement, as did other UK countries. What the discussion is really about now, I am not sure. I think that it's good that I am not the only one who has raised the fact that Africa had some involvement as well. In my opinion, the Africans were the worst slave traders of all, as they bartered their own kind, but there may be some that will not like to hear that.. Maybe there's some more blood that we can beat out of this whole "Scotland" thing.

Old Post 07-21-2006 12:58 AM
Click here to Send simco a Private Message Find more posts by simco Add simco to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore simco REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #43  quote:

quote:
simco said this in post #42 :
It would seem that the only thing that we seem to agree on is that Scotland had some involvement, as did other UK countries. What the discussion is really about now, I am not sure. I think that it's good that I am not the only one who has raised the fact that Africa had some involvement as well. In my opinion, the Africans were the worst slave traders of all, as they bartered their own kind, but there may be some that will not like to hear that.. Maybe there's some more blood that we can beat out of this whole "Scotland" thing.

Don't forget blood Canada contributed. Similiar to Scotland, Canada's involvement in Slave Trade has been deleted from most history books.

Old Post 07-25-2006 08:26 PM

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #44  quote:

Well malcom, I don't know about it being erased from history books... but your statement is flawed. Parts of what is now known as Canda, at times under British and French rule, did have slaves. They included aboriginal people (Indians) as well as Africans.

Canada as we know it today is a far cry from any semblance of what it is four hundred years ago and you really can't compare.

For further reading might I suggest this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Canada

-HECK!

Old Post 07-25-2006 08:48 PM
Click here to Send HECK! a Private Message View HECK!'s Journal Find more posts by HECK! Add HECK! to your buddy list Send an AIM message to HECK! Reply w/Quote

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

Local time: 11:24 PM

post #45  quote:

I wonder, if I post, will malcolm tell me how much Taiwan contributed to slave trading

Old Post 07-26-2006 05:33 AM
Click here to Send gaboman a Private Message Find more posts by gaboman Add gaboman to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lickety_split
Lickety

post #46  quote:

quote:
HECK! said this in post #44 :
Well malcom, I don't know about it being erased from history books... but your statement is flawed. Parts of what is now known as Canda, at times under British and French rule, did have slaves. They included aboriginal people (Indians) as well as Africans.

Canada as we know it today is a far cry from any semblance of what it is four hundred years ago and you really can't compare.

For further reading might I suggest this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Canada

-HECK!

HECK is correct malcolm, history of slavery is not omitted or erased from Canadian history. In fact, there are historical towns which you can tour in Ontario and Nova Scotia to learn about early slave trade in Canada. What books are you reading?

Underground railroad, Harriet Tubman and all the freedom fighters are documented and part of history.

We learn about this in grade school in Canada.

Geesh, why make a controversal statement like that just because you haven't read an abundance of material out there?

Why live in the past when you can change your future?

Old Post 07-26-2006 07:59 AM
Click here to Send lickety_split a Private Message Find more posts by lickety_split Add lickety_split to your buddy list Send a Yahoo message to lickety_split Click Here to Ignore lickety_split REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #47  quote:

So far as I can recall Malcolm has got the following things wrong

1. starting this thread

2. Claiming Scotland was involved while the whole time missing the point we worked under the new UK government based in London

3. He did not mention that Scotland led the world in that aboloition of slave trading

4. He did not know if black people lived in Scotland ( still cant get over that )

5. He claimed Canada had denied it's history

6. He then denied Canadas history by not mentioning the time under Britihs and French control

7. He called me liar over Zimbabwe then claimed to prve me wrong, he nevr got round to it. He also claimed Zimbabwe wanted independance from England ( I think he means the UK) which it already has.

8. he cliamed that Scotland had a secret nuclear program. Yeah so secret they told maclolm about under the FOI act.

9. He lied about FOI act as it does not cover nuke's.

So all in all I think that Malcolm has done his usual, starting a thread, running his mouth and then realisng he has no facts when people challenge HIS racist remarks.

Old Post 07-26-2006 01:32 PM

Staff
Sierradaddy
Days of Future Past...

Local time: 09:24 AM

post #48  quote:

I like the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. He's strangely funny at times, although over time his humour wears on you. Still, his accent is fun, and he's the decendent of a Scottish slavemaster. How do I know that little fact? Well, I'm able to make things up whenever I want regarding slavery and those involved in any activity that could POTENTIALLY or NOT POTENTIALLY adversely affect black people around the world (even in Scotland, although I'm not so sure that there ARE any black people in Scotland, and if there are, they must not understand the history of where they are living...) and, of course, the "black cause"...

Oh yeah, and Zimbabwe rules. One day, when I have the time, money, and appropriate shots, I'll go there...

Old Post 07-26-2006 10:52 PM
Click here to Send Sierradaddy a Private Message Find more posts by Sierradaddy Add Sierradaddy to your buddy list Sierradaddy's MSN ID is smoothline98@hotmail.com Reply w/Quote

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #49  quote:

quote:
gaboman said this in post #45 :
I wonder, if I post, will malcolm tell me how much Taiwan contributed to slave trading

Old Post 07-27-2006 10:30 PM

simco
Enthusiast

post #50  quote:

As you may know, I am Canadian, and there is ONE bit of truth to what I read in Malcolm's posts.... I learned NOTHING about Canada's involvement with the Slave Trade. It wasn't until a few months ago that I finally was enlightened to the fact that there WERE indeed slaves in Canada, and the slave owners here were worse than those in the southern states of the US. I was SHOCKED to know this.. all I ever learned about in school was that Canada was where the underground railroad had been and that run-away slaves came here to be free. It made me sad that a HUGE chunk of Canadian History had been uncovered in both grade school and high school.

On another note though it IS also correct that, lies and innuendo are always rampant, but the truth always has a way of coming out. It is a shame that, if like in my case, Black history was not taught at all, other than as a brief mention. Youth of today at least get the benefit of Black History Month.. I certainly did not. But it would behoove any person of colour not to research it on his or her own. Clearly, slavery was wrong and I don't know of any country that it shouting it proudly from the hills that was involved in it. I think that there is a vestige of shame,.. as well there should be, but I don't think that there is a "cover-up". The truth is always there, waiting to be discovered... Seeking it is a personal choice, at least it is in my humble opinion. You cannot depend on others to tell you what you think that you should know.... Anyways, that's my 2 cents...

Old Post 07-28-2006 07:52 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #51  quote:

British abolition of slave-trade:

The Abolition of the Slave Trade Act was passed by Parliament on March 25, 1807. The act imposed a fine of ?100 for every slave found aboard a British ship. The intention was to entirely outlaw the slave trade within the whole British Empire.

The Slavery Abolition Act, passed on August 23, 1833, outlawed slavery itself in the British colonies. On August 1, 1834 all slaves in the British Empire were emancipated, but still indentured to their former owners in an apprenticeship system which was finally abolished in 1838.

Old Post 08-02-2006 07:43 PM

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #52  quote:

quote:
HECK! said this in post #38 :

Malcom, maybe your points would be qualified if you actually did a little research. Scotland has a black population. Scottish Freemason's, for example, have admitted people regardless of race for over a century.

-HECK!

An black/ white picture that looks to be from 17 century? Is this the evidence to prove Scotland's diversity? Why is it so hard to show something current ?

Old Post 08-18-2006 12:30 AM

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

Local time: 11:24 PM

post #53  quote:

He didn't post a current picture because the thread's about the history of slave trade in Scottland. You should know; you started the damn thing.

I don't call people numb-nuts often... and I won't now... but perhaps some people know what I'm thinking.

Old Post 08-18-2006 03:48 AM
Click here to Send gaboman a Private Message Find more posts by gaboman Add gaboman to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #54  quote:

Malcolm exactly waht kind of evidence are you looking for? a bunch of black people at a celidih?.

The thing is Gaboman is right yet again you have changed the rules of the game you don't want evidence from the 17th century you want to go to the 21st century. Anyways tell me waht you are looking for and I will try to get it.

PS did you know that the first black soccer player to play international football was actually a Scot who was the child of a freed slave.

Old Post 08-18-2006 01:10 PM

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #55  quote:

quote:
lodgebo said this in post #54 :
Malcolm exactly waht kind of evidence are you looking for? a bunch of black people at a celidih?.

The thing is Gaboman is right yet again you have changed the rules of the game you don't want evidence from the 17th century you want to go to the 21st century. Anyways tell me waht you are looking for and I will try to get it.

PS did you know that the first black soccer player to play international football was actually a Scot who was the child of a freed slave.

Do you know:

Scotland comes from the Greek word. "Skotos" which means DARK or BLACK?

Were the original citizens of Scotland Black? Was Scotland originally a Black country?

Old Post 02-02-2008 01:26 AM

Staff
lodgebo01
Senior Moderator

post #56  quote:

Malcolm I know the Greek legen about Prince Gaythelos banished from Greece and took his Scota to Irland and thier children went to Scotland, but there is no evidnec backing this story up.

Anyway does not matter what the Greeks called Scotland the people of Scotland called the country Scotti long before the Greek legend came about and of course the other more famous and popular name for the country Alba.

Now as for Scotland being a black country originally no way now how. It's never been in question that Scotland and similar close countries were white. Scotland was born out of 3 maybe 4 peoples the native Scots, the Irish, the Scandanavins ( vikings) and maybe the Welsh.
Also are you trying to say that in the past there were all these African countries that were black and then you move into Europe with all the white people except for Scotland which had blacks native to it? nah sorry does not wash, also can't see Africans leaving thier country to come to Scotland they are used to nice sunny weather and it's freezing up north.

Old Post 02-02-2008 02:16 AM
Click here to Send lodgebo01 a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo01 Add lodgebo01 to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #57  quote:

quote:
lodgebo01 said this in post #56 :
Malcolm I know the Greek legen about Prince Gaythelos banished from Greece and took his Scota to Irland and thier children went to Scotland, but there is no evidnec backing this story up.

Anyway does not matter what the Greeks called Scotland the people of Scotland called the country Scotti long before the Greek legend came about and of course the other more famous and popular name for the country Alba.

Now as for Scotland being a black country originally no way now how. It's never been in question that Scotland and similar close countries were white. Scotland was born out of 3 maybe 4 peoples the native Scots, the Irish, the Scandanavins ( vikings) and maybe the Welsh.
Also are you trying to say that in the past there were all these African countries that were black and then you move into Europe with all the white people except for Scotland which had blacks native to it? nah sorry does not wash, also can't see Africans leaving thier country to come to Scotland they are used to nice sunny weather and it's freezing up north.

Are you saying the info I gave is false or its false because you never heard of info.? Clarify yourself.

Old Post 02-02-2008 02:48 AM

Staff
lodgebo01
Senior Moderator

post #58  quote:

All I am saying is that the name Scotland and the Greek translation does not matter because that original natives called this country Scotti ot Alba

Old Post 02-02-2008 03:12 AM
Click here to Send lodgebo01 a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo01 Add lodgebo01 to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #59  quote:

quote:
lodgebo01 said this in post #58 :
All I am saying is that the name Scotland and the Greek translation does not matter because that original natives called this country Scotti ot Alba

I agree but why did the Greeks name a country after a word meaning dark or black? The word Africa comes from Greek Aphrike which means " without cold." Because Africa doesn't have a cold climate. If Scotland has present pop why would they name the country Black? Australia original population was Black. Spain and India native population was Black. Italy?

Old Post 02-08-2008 02:11 AM

Staff
lodgebo01
Senior Moderator

post #60  quote:

Malcolm remebere ghow I keep suggesting you do reserach welkl it's for times like this - What does "Skotos" mean?

It's a Greek word that means "the darkness before the dawn." It's been used by poets to represent the darkness of the womb before birth, or the last darkness seen before leaving hell.

The term used in behavioral science is borrowed from the science of optics and ophthalmology. ?Scotoma? is from the Greek word skotos (to darken) and means a spot on the visual field in which vision is absent or deficient.

Now there is a link apparently with the Doric language with Scotland and Greece.

Old Post 02-08-2008 11:11 PM
Time: 03:24 PM Post New Thread   
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > The World > Scotland Involved In Slave Trade (Black Holocaust)
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: