Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Culture & Society > People > Africans who contributed to America
Search this Thread:
Pages (2):  [1] 2 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

Local time: 12:33 AM

Africans who contributed to America post #1  quote:

contributers to development of america. were they in your history books?

Benjamin Bannecker - built the 1st clock and laid the design for Wasington DC

Norbert Rillieux- design the sugar refining industry

Lewis Temple- invented the harpoon

Jan Matzeligen- invented machine for mass production of shoes

Elijah McCoy- developed self-lubricating systems for cars and ships

Among Granville T. Woods- inveted railway telegraphy, overhead conductory system for elecetrical system for electerical railways and the 3rd rail for subway systems

Lewis Latimore- develop process that makde electric lamp run better than Edison

Dr. Ernest E. Just was 1st to discover that cell's nucleus was not the only determinant of heredity ..... etc

Old Post 03-29-2005 10:15 PM
Click here to Send malcolm xx a Private Message Find more posts by malcolm xx Add malcolm xx to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore malcolm xx REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Nymphadora
I see you.

Local time: 07:33 PM

post #2  quote:

I'm just courious where you found that information.

Old Post 11-13-2006 01:01 AM
Click here to Send Nymphadora a Private Message View Nymphadora's Journal Find more posts by Nymphadora Add Nymphadora to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Viper1
Veteran

Local time: 06:33 PM

African Americans who contributed to America post #3  quote:

quote:
malcolm xx said this in post #1 :
contributers to development of america. were they in your history books?

Benjamin Bannecker - built the 1st clock and laid the design for Wasington DC

Actually, constructed a working wooden clock that kept accurate time and struck the hours for over 50 years, and was a technical assistant in the calculating and first-ever surveying of the Federal District, which is now Washington, D.C.

Norbert Rillieux- design the sugar refining industry

Actually, invented a sugar processing evaporator and an improved sugar refining process that safely saved time and money in the making of sugar from sugar beets or sugar cane.

Lewis Temple- invented the harpoon

Actually, was a blacksmith who designed the toggle iron harpoon in 1848 and was the standard harpoon in American whaling from the mid-19th through the early 20th centuries. The toggle iron harpoon was also called "Temple's Toggle" and "Temple's Iron".

Jan Matzeliger- invented machine for mass production of shoes

Actually, developed a shoe lasting machine that would attach the sole to the shoe in one minute, which made the mass production of affordable shoes possible.

Elijah McCoy- developed self-lubricating systems for cars and ships

Actually, was issued more than 57 patents for his inventions during his lifetime. His best known invention was a cup that fed lubricating oil to machine bearings through a small bore tube. Machinists and engineers who wanted genuine McCoy lubricators might have used the expression "the real McCoy."

Granville T. Woods- invented railway telegraphy, overhead conductory system for electrical system for electrical railways and the 3rd rail for subway systems

Actually, known as the "Black Edison, both great inventors of their time. Granville T. Woods invented more than a dozen devices to improve electric railway cars and many more for controlling the flow of electricity. His most noted invention was a system for letting the engineer of a train know how close his train was to others. This device helped cut down accidents and collisions between trains.

Lewis Latimore- develop process that made electric lamp run better than Edison

Actually, invented the water closet for railroad cars, an electric lamp with an inexpensive carbon filament and a threaded wooden socket for light bulbs.

Dr. Ernest E. Just was 1st to discover that cell's nucleus was not the only determinant of heredity ..... etc

Actually, research made advancements in the following areas: egg fertilization, experimental parthenogenesis
hydration, cell division, dehydration in living cells, the effects of ultraviolet rays in increasing chromosome numbers in animals, the effects of ultraviolet rays in altering the organization of the egg with reference to polarity.

For more information on famous black inventors, click on the following link:

http://inventors.about.com/library/blblackinventors.htm

Old Post 11-13-2006 01:48 AM
Click here to Send Viper1 a Private Message Find more posts by Viper1 Add Viper1 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Viper1 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Viper1
Veteran

post #4  quote:

Malcolm xx, I did learn about famous Americans like Harriet Tubman, Booker T. Washington, George Washington Carver and Frederick Douglass, among others.

Old Post 11-13-2006 01:57 AM
Click here to Send Viper1 a Private Message Find more posts by Viper1 Add Viper1 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Viper1 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Nymphadora
I see you.

post #5  quote:

Well, my point is this. The Information is out there, otherwise you wouldnt know it.
It's just there is so much information in books you have to look at what is higher up on the list to be inclueded. Like Ive never seen the inventor of toilet paper in a history book. Theres lots of inventors and people of great accomplishments that aren't mentioned, but the info is still out there.

I know I learned of several famous black Americans in school.

But my question is how can you be sure history books aren't mentioning several black americans with out lots of additional research. I dont know of any history books that say something like Benjamin Bannecker, a black man, built the 1st clock and laid the design for Wasington DC.

Old Post 11-13-2006 02:29 AM
Click here to Send Nymphadora a Private Message View Nymphadora's Journal Find more posts by Nymphadora Add Nymphadora to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Viper1
Veteran

post #6  quote:

That was the point I was making, Nymphadora. Not a single book or Internet site will state, "Benjamin Bannecker, a black man, built the 1st clock and laid the design for Washington, D.C." because he didn't do either of those things. Bannecker constructed a working wooden clock that kept accurate time and struck the hours for over 50 years, and was a technical assistant in the calculating and first-ever surveying of the Federal District, which is now Washington, D.C.

Old Post 11-13-2006 02:35 AM

Staff
Nymphadora
I see you.

post #7  quote:

I know Viper, I'm just elaborating on my earlier while colaborating with yours.

Old Post 11-13-2006 02:43 AM

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #8  quote:

quote:
Viper1 said this in post #6 :
That was the point I was making, Nymphadora. Not a single book or Internet site will state, "Benjamin Bannecker, a black man, built the 1st clock and laid the design for Washington, D.C." because he didn't do either of those things. Bannecker constructed a working wooden clock that kept accurate time and struck the hours for over 50 years, and was a technical assistant in the calculating and first-ever surveying of the Federal District, which is now Washington, D.C.

Old Post 11-14-2006 12:20 AM
Click here to Send malcolm xx a Private Message Find more posts by malcolm xx Add malcolm xx to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore malcolm xx REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lickety_split
Lickety

post #9  quote:

Don't you mean "mixed-race" or of "African ancestry" or " African-Americans"? Just kidding.....don't spaz out but most African's (people from the continent of AFRICA) don't identify with the African-Americans who were slaves or descendants of slaves in America.

Old Post 11-14-2006 12:44 AM
Click here to Send lickety_split a Private Message Find more posts by lickety_split Add lickety_split to your buddy list Send a Yahoo message to lickety_split Click Here to Ignore lickety_split REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #10  quote:

quote:
lickety_split said this in post #9 :
Don't you mean "mixed-race" or of "African ancestry" or " African-Americans"? Just kidding.....don't spaz out but most African's (people from the continent of AFRICA) don't identify with the African-Americans who were slaves or descendants of slaves in America.

How do you know? Are you n African American?

Old Post 11-14-2006 12:59 AM

Gold Member
lickety_split
Lickety

post #11  quote:

Would you like me more if I was? What does it matter? I'm telling you because I know it for a fact as told to me by my friend who is more of a scholar on Black History than you would ever know. I might also add that I have African (Somalian, Ethiopian and Kenyan) friends who share their perspectives with me from time to time. I also read books too. Books with pictures..... Surprise!

Old Post 11-14-2006 01:05 AM
Click here to Send lickety_split a Private Message Find more posts by lickety_split Add lickety_split to your buddy list Send a Yahoo message to lickety_split Click Here to Ignore lickety_split REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Nymphadora
I see you.

post #12  quote:

quote:
malcolm xx said this in post #8 :

could you elaborate your point. I not getting it with just the smilies.

Old Post 11-14-2006 01:17 AM

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #13  quote:

quote:
lickety_split said this in post #11 :
Would you like me more if I was? What does it matter? I'm telling you because I know it for a fact as told to me by my friend who is more of a scholar on Black History than you would ever know. I might also add that I have African (Somalian, Ethiopian and Kenyan) friends who share their perspectives with me from time to time. I also read books too. Books with pictures..... Surprise!

There are scholars who know more than me who disagree with your friend. And their are many Africans who have same position.

Old Post 11-14-2006 01:26 AM

Gold Member
lickety_split
Lickety

post #14  quote:

There are Africans who will disagree with you as well. I'm strictly speaking on your comment about Africans vs African-Americans. Had you said "African-Americans or Blacks Who Contributed To America" I would not debate that. Yes, there are scholars who know more than you who would find a difference between those Blacks who are of African-origin (born in Africa) and those who were of African descent born in America.

That was my point. Sorry if you missed it malcom_xx.

Old Post 11-14-2006 01:48 AM

Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

post #15  quote:

I am a descendant of the African Slaves and I prefer the term "Black American" because my history is distinct from recent African immigrants.

Old Post 11-14-2006 07:18 AM
Click here to Send Dekka00 a Private Message View Dekka00's Journal Visit Dekka00's homepage! Find more posts by Dekka00 Add Dekka00 to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

Local time: 08:33 AM

post #16  quote:

I'm decended from an African slave too, but I'm not American, nor am I at all black. I'm not sure what to do about this problem...

malcolm, those weird angry smiley faces you gave viper for pointing out the true extent of Benjamin Bannecker's contribution, rather than your very rushed, vague explanation is just pointless. From it I get the feeling that you hate black people. But that's just me.

Old Post 11-14-2006 09:29 AM
Click here to Send gaboman a Private Message Find more posts by gaboman Add gaboman to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #17  quote:

quote:
gaboman said this in post #16 :
I'm decended from an African slave too, but I'm not American, nor am I at all black. I'm not sure what to do about this problem...

malcolm, those weird angry smiley faces you gave viper for pointing out the true extent of Benjamin Bannecker's contribution, rather than your very rushed, vague explanation is just pointless. From it I get the feeling that you hate black people. But that's just me.

whats your promblem?

Old Post 11-15-2006 03:44 AM

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

Local time: 04:33 PM

post #18  quote:

quote:
malcolm xx said this in post #17 :

whats your promblem?

That's what we've ALL been trying to figure out where you're concerned.

Old Post 11-15-2006 03:52 AM
Click here to Send Lawless a Private Message View Lawless's Journal Visit Lawless's homepage! Find more posts by Lawless Add Lawless to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Lawless REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #19  quote:

quote:
Lawless said this in post #18 :

That's what we've ALL been trying to figure out where you're concerned.

Why do I have a promblem because I post information your not aware of? Because your not interested in the subject, doesn't mean something is wrong with me. Criticizing me throws post off of of subject and I end up being criticized.

Old Post 11-15-2006 04:14 AM

Viper1
Veteran

post #20  quote:

quote:
malcolm xx said this in post #19 :

Why do I have a promblem because I post information your not aware of? ...

If you are implying that the misinformation you post is something we are not aware of, then I would agree. When you get your facts straight and your information correct in your posts, then maybe we'll begin to understand you better.

Old Post 11-15-2006 04:22 AM

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #21  quote:

quote:
Viper1 said this in post #20 :

If you are implying that the misinformation you post is something we are not aware of, then I would agree. When you get your facts straight and your information correct in your posts, then maybe we'll begin to understand you better.

Exactly... get the facts straight, malcolm, and maybe the problem wouldn't exist. You contradict yourself, left in right... you seem to have an agenda... and you post incorrect things.

Old Post 11-15-2006 04:25 AM
Click here to Send Lawless a Private Message View Lawless's Journal Visit Lawless's homepage! Find more posts by Lawless Add Lawless to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Lawless REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Nymphadora
I see you.

post #22  quote:

It's not because you post information that we aren't aware of. It's because the information you post is only half true the large majority of the time. You take your own personal opinion and twist it around and try to make an issue out of something and then post it as fact.

your opinion is your opinion, everone is entitled to them. But dont sate it as fact, that is what people have a problem with.

Old Post 11-15-2006 04:25 AM

Staff
Nymphadora
I see you.

post #23  quote:

ok srry i posted pretty much the same thing but you guys posted while i was still typing.

Old Post 11-15-2006 04:26 AM

Viper1
Veteran

post #24  quote:

I'll let it slide this time; just don't let it happen again!

Old Post 11-15-2006 04:50 AM

Gold Member
lickety_split
Lickety

post #25  quote:

Old Post 11-15-2006 05:00 AM

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #26  quote:

quote:
Viper1 said this in post #20 :

I'm being "swift boated" for not agreeing with my posts.

I post only facts. Again just because you don't agree doesn't mean info is false. Not understanding me is because of my wrting but the info presented is true or maybe its because you don't know everthing.

Old Post 11-18-2006 08:02 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #27  quote:

[QUOTE]malcolm xx said this in post #26 :

I post only facts.

[B] good one Malcolm. You are incapable of posting facts, you posted facts hers and Viper came and blwew your facts away, there was the whole Lance Armstrong escapade whcih seemed to be based on your prejudice as opposed to facts, then there was my all time favourite Scotland is harbouring a nuke theory and the whole the World cup has no black coaches incident, the ehwol black jesus film being banned across America was also not fact. Thats just off the top of my head there are I am sure a whole lot more of your facts out there.

Anyway if i had to pick a couplke of famouls African American's that changed the US i would pick Saran Breedlove Walker - she invented the hair straightner and other beuaty products not a big del but the fact that she was the first black female millionaire was a big deal she also left half her fortune to good causes.
Garret Morgan who invented the gas mask and the 3 way traffic signal.

Old Post 11-18-2006 09:32 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #28  quote:

quote:
lodgebo said this in post #27 :
[QUOTE]malcolm xx said this in post #26 :

I post only facts.

[B] good one Malcolm. You are incapable of posting facts, you posted facts hers and Viper came and blwew your facts away, there was the whole Lance Armstrong escapade whcih seemed to be based on your prejudice as opposed to facts, then there was my all time favourite Scotland is harbouring a nuke theory and the whole the World cup has no black coaches incident, the ehwol black jesus film being banned across America was also not fact. Thats just off the top of my head there are I am sure a whole lot more of your facts out there.

Anyway if i had to pick a couplke of famouls African American's that changed the US i would pick Saran Breedlove Walker - she invented the hair straightner and other beuaty products not a big del but the fact that she was the first black female millionaire was a big deal she also left half her fortune to good causes.
Garret Morgan who invented the gas mask and the 3 way traffic signal.

1. Scotland having nukes - I post info from FOI Act. If info is wrong blame your gov.

2. Lance Armstong using steroids - posted info from NY Times and his auto where he admits to using steroids. If you don't beleive read book.

3 World Cup racism - I'm not fan of soccer but I notice African teams, with mostly Black players all having White coaches. And no European teams with a Black coach.

4 Black Jesus Movie - If somthing is not accepted, that means it is banned. No one makes a movie to be shown only in limted amount of theatres of one race. Jaws wasn't made for jewish communities. Passion of Christ wasn't limited to white neighborhoods.

My posts are not the promblem, its your inability to admit when you are wrong or accept being wrong.

Old Post 11-21-2006 02:53 AM

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #29  quote:

quote:
malcolm xx said this in post #28 :
4 Black Jesus Movie - If somthing is not accepted, that means it is banned. No one makes a movie to be shown only in limted amount of theatres of one race. Jaws wasn't made for jewish communities. Passion of Christ wasn't limited to white neighborhoods.

My posts are not the promblem, its your inability to admit when you are wrong or accept being wrong.

If something isn't accepted, 100%, then it's banned? Malcolm, my life style isn't accepted by many people, and I'm FAR FROM BANNED!!!!

To be banned, it is to be, in a sense, an outlaw. The movie that you CLAIMED is banned, just isn't playing everywhere. They already said that they wanted to show it where they knew it would receive the best "results" and make money. That isn't banned.

Old Post 11-21-2006 05:04 AM

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #30  quote:

I heard there are a lot of black people in Africa.

-HECK!

Old Post 11-21-2006 06:14 AM
Click here to Send HECK! a Private Message View HECK!'s Journal Find more posts by HECK! Add HECK! to your buddy list Send an AIM message to HECK! Reply w/Quote
Time: 12:33 AM Post New Thread   
Pages (2):  [1] 2 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Culture & Society > People > Africans who contributed to America
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: