Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Unexplained Phenomena & Conspiracy > Real
Search this Thread:
Pages (2): « 1 [2]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Charash
Enthusiast

Local time: 06:28 PM

post #31  quote:

And what is your answer to that question, Rebel?

How about any others? What is the meaning and purpose of life?

I also like to answer this question (along with my primary answer stated above) with another axiomatic reply: "To prepare for the next one," but I am not advocating re-incarnation; rather, I am expressing my deep belief that death is not the
end--but the beginning, wherein we enter into what I term "hyperreality." That reality is communion with God, which is what all of us want, whether we have the courage, prescience, or wisdom to admit to it.

Old Post 02-25-2004 01:53 AM
Click here to Send Charash a Private Message Find more posts by Charash Add Charash to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Charash REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

twisted_wizard
Mastermind

Local time: 05:28 PM

post #32  quote:

quote:
The_Rebel said this in post #30 :

Twisted, the fundamental questions posed in this thread regarding the nature of reality and our existence aren't exactly novel either. The ancient Egyptians and Greek philosophers (even those from the pre-Socratic era) pondered over the same questions, more than two thousand years ago.

".... science, who think our existence is fact..."

I was hoping you could elaborate on this statement. Religious doctrines are also based on 'facts', although such facts may be difficult to prove scientifically. Such 'facts' may simply be deeply-held religious beliefs, partly based on myth and partly based on actual events. Although some scientists would dispute those 'facts' as factual, to those who belief in them, they are indisputable. Just because things can't be seen or proven doesn't necessarily mean that they can't be real. Life is full of intangibles, such as love, joy, sadness, hope, beliefs, and so on. To invalidate beliefs is tantamount to invalidating the incomprehensible, of which science abounds.

What I mean by 'fact' is that there is evidence to this 'fact'. Eventhough it IS very vague at times, you cannot object to the fact that there are evidence in this from its' various experiments to the scientific doctrines (accepted or not.). Evidence?though some rather ambigous?that does back some truth to the theories of science.
As opposed to the Religious theories; though, where most of its' evidence have the doctrine backed, it's evidence was had years ago where we could only look back through the bible or texts. And cannot really be tested so that it could be proven definate, but just pondered. These religious doctrines' foundation comes from text, and if the case may be, objects?like those stone rocks... sculptures.....the standing stones.

Upon reading my entree, I found that my typing has it's defects.... I was in a hurry there. oops.

I may have my faults.... lots of faults in this debate.... but I am new to this. And do not know much about science (take my just starting high school as opposed to you, already a scientist!). But I would love it if you could point out some articles or books or something. this interests me alot. but unfortunately my resources and time?at the moment?are limited.

Old Post 02-25-2004 02:43 AM
Click here to Send twisted_wizard a Private Message Find more posts by twisted_wizard Add twisted_wizard to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore twisted_wizard REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

twisted_wizard
Mastermind

post #33  quote:

quote:
Even a scientist as great as Einstein refused to acknowledge the notion of the non-existence of God, which some scientists seem to accept without question.

Yes, Eintein did believe in God. most definately. here's a quote by him stating his religious grounds;

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God. " Albert Einstein.

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own - a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in Nature." Albert Einstein

Old Post 02-25-2004 02:47 AM
Click here to Send twisted_wizard a Private Message Find more posts by twisted_wizard Add twisted_wizard to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore twisted_wizard REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

The_Rebel
In the Now Guru

Local time: 11:28 PM

post #34  quote:

I share the same fundamental views with you, Charash, in regard to the meaning of life and that death in itself is not the end. I like to believe that traits such as decency and goodness are inherently present in every single human being, but unfortunately other destructive traits such as selfishness, arrogance, greed and malice are also deeply-rooted in our psyche. Ultimately, life is about cultivating and maximizing the positive traits and developing our God-given talents to the fullest, whilst minimizing and trying our utmost to eradicate the negative traits. We may never achieve the latter, but that shouldn't stop us from trying.

If at the end of my life, I could look back in retrospect and say to myself that I've made a positive difference in the lives of others, no matter how small the difference or how little the number, then I'd have achieved the purpose of my life. Even if there was no light at the end of the tunnel, or if there was no Saviour to greet me, I'd still be contented and satisfied to have lived a fruitful and productive life. Either way, the outcome is acceptable. That's the way I reconcile myself with the purpose of my existence.

The_Rebel

Old Post 02-25-2004 02:56 AM
Click here to Send The_Rebel a Private Message Find more posts by The_Rebel Add The_Rebel to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore The_Rebel REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

twisted_wizard
Mastermind

post #35  quote:

aye, live in truth.

Old Post 02-25-2004 02:59 AM

The_Rebel
In the Now Guru

post #36  quote:

Thank you Twisted, for the above quotes. Einstein was and still is a paradigm of the brilliant yet unbelievably humble scientist who understood the limitations of human intellect and knowledge. He knew that the universe is not only stranger than we think, but it is even stranger than we can ever imagine.

Please do not apologize for your age or your perceived inexperience. You have demonstrated the abilities of reasoning and contructive argument well beyond your years and you should be proud of yourself. By readily acknowledging one's shortcomings and limitations (of which everyone has), one is already a few steps ahead of some mature adults who are unable to see past their own supposed wisdom and magnificence. So, well done to you.

The_Rebel

Old Post 02-25-2004 03:13 AM
Click here to Send The_Rebel a Private Message Find more posts by The_Rebel Add The_Rebel to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore The_Rebel REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Sayzak
Chimerical Visionary

post #37  quote:

quote:
twisted_wizard said this in post #26 :
read the post "the world tickles me" ..... somewhere down. it says something about this.....

Hey, I started that thread! I can't believe it's still alive...

Old Post 02-25-2004 03:57 AM
Click here to Send Sayzak a Private Message View Sayzak's Journal Find more posts by Sayzak Add Sayzak to your buddy list Send an AIM message to Sayzak Sayzak's MSN ID is blue3eleven@msn.com Click Here to Ignore Sayzak REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

chodder
INRH4xx0r^

post #38  quote:

Now I feel stupid compared to you guys. Let me just insert a witty picture to ease the moment...

Old Post 02-25-2004 04:07 AM
Click here to Send chodder a Private Message Visit chodder's homepage! Find more posts by chodder Add chodder to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore chodder REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

twisted_wizard
Mastermind

post #39  quote:

shall I curtsey?

and though you have applauded me (I have the impression that you did.) I do not think that I am to be given praise! *raises eyebrows* though I am much greatful for it. This acknowledging one's limitations is really just us growing?meaning sermounting obstcles. For as Aristotle did state, "We cannot learn without pain." And pain is what we all go through; whether emotionally or physically. I have gone through pain, yes?we all have. But what he didn't mention is that it is the struggle to heal that pain that helps us learn, that and the acknowleging of the struggle we put forth then using it to help us learn. (...mmm.... I don't think I made much sense. *frowns*)
But applaud to life. : ) for that is where we aquire self-wisdom.

Ironic, isn't it?

Old Post 02-25-2004 04:15 AM

twisted_wizard
Mastermind

post #40  quote:

quote:
chodder said this in post #38 :
Now I feel stupid compared to you guys. Let me just insert a witty picture to ease the moment...

wow, Einstein's tougne...! Thank you chodder for that most... erm.... prestigious picture.....

Eintein undignified!

How can you feel stupid?!?! You're not. period.

Old Post 02-28-2004 06:29 PM

Advance
In the Now Guru

post #41  quote:

Hmm...back on topic: How cool would it be if other animals saw different Dimensions than we did?

Old Post 02-29-2004 10:32 PM
Click here to Send Advance a Private Message Visit Advance's homepage! Find more posts by Advance Add Advance to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Advance REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

twisted_wizard
Mastermind

post #42  quote:

That would be.... well, I have no say in this as my thoughts don't really know how to make out of this....

but isn't THIS proven fact?
define "dimensions", pls.

Old Post 03-09-2004 03:10 AM

Advance
In the Now Guru

post #43  quote:

di?men?sion
n.
A measure of spatial extent, especially width, height, or length.
Extent or magnitude; scope. Often used in the plural: a problem of alarming dimensions.
Aspect; element: ?He's a good newsman, and he has that extra dimension? (William S. Paley).
Mathematics.
The least number of independent coordinates required to specify uniquely the points in a space.
The range of such a coordinate.
Physics. A physical property, such as mass, length, time, or a combination thereof, regarded as a fundamental measure or as one of a set of fundamental measures of a physical quantity: Velocity has the dimensions of length divided by time.

Old Post 03-09-2004 10:56 AM
Click here to Send Advance a Private Message Visit Advance's homepage! Find more posts by Advance Add Advance to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Advance REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

The_Rebel
In the Now Guru

post #44  quote:

Good explanation, Advance. I think it's important to stress that 'dimensions' in the context of the present discussion does not imply 'a different plane of existence' (eg. a parallel universe), rather it implies measurements of space and time which define our presence in the physical universe. The 4 traditional dimensions ie. length, breadth, depth and time, can easily be visualized or conceptualized, but the presence of other dimensions as postulated by string theory is more difficult to grasp.

The_Rebel

Old Post 03-09-2004 11:05 AM

Advance
In the Now Guru

post #45  quote:

Correct. But do you think there is a asdfg dimension that out minds can't grasp, or out eyes can't see?

I used dictionary.com for the definition

Old Post 03-09-2004 11:15 AM

j.p.s.
Veteran

just a stupid idea... post #46  quote:

My friend and i were chilling one day and we thought about the saying.....anything that can happen will and has already happend and how this may be possible..........we thought a little to long and hard about this and came up with this idea.

Going by the big bang theory there wasn't even time before the universe exploded into reality, so what if multiple dimensions exist it's just that it exists in a 5th dimension outside of time and basically the big bang has happend trillions of times so that ever possible outcome has happend.....it's hard to get into here i really don't feel like writing the whole theory we did for our thesis but our prof. went thru it a few times and thought it might be possible. Wish i could explain it better or draw a diagram to explain. But it makes sense because the universe is always exploding then imploding meaning there has been multiple big bangs already..wat if the differences in the way the universe expanded is what creates multiple dimensions....

donno if this makes sense to you took us 6 months to write the original idea of how it would work. hard to summerise all that info into a few paragraphs.

Old Post 03-09-2004 11:23 AM
Click here to Send j.p.s. a Private Message Find more posts by j.p.s. Add j.p.s. to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore j.p.s. REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

The_Rebel
In the Now Guru

post #47  quote:

Thanks jps for your post. I believe that the 'infinitely expanding and imploding universe' theory has been around for a few decades now, but judging from recent evidence, most cosmologists have rejected the theory, for now at least. Previously, the standard view of cosmology was that although the universe has ballooned in volume since its birth in the Big Bang, the mutual gravitational tug of all the matter in the cosmos will gradually slow that expansion and eventually the universe will implode upon itself and end up in a Big Crunch. However, in 1998 based on observations from the Hubble Telescope, the red shift from distant supernovas have surprisingly shown the opposite - that the space between the stars and our planet had stretched out more than expected, implying that the rate of expansion of our universe has somehow sped up, not slowed down. Recent evidence has only firmed up that bizarre result (http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20010407/bob14.asp).

If gravity from matter (ie. the planets, stars, etc.) was all there was to it, then the universe would be expected to slow down eventually. As such, scientists have proposed an anti-gravity force - called dark energy - which repulses the effects of gravity. Einstein's general theory of relativity actually accommodates the existence for such a force. At present, the 'dark energy' theory is the only theory to explain the accelerating cosmos that is compatible with Einstein's general theory of relativity.

One of the biggest controversies at the moment is to determine exactly how dark energy behaves. If it is stable (hence adhering to Einstein's 'cosmological constant') then the universe will continue expanding and accelerating forever. If it is unstable, the universe could ultimately come unglued to the point where stars, planets and even atoms come apart, a doomsday scenario called the "big rip." It could also flip such that it becomes an attractive force and causes the universe to implode in a "big crunch." However, the latest Hubble observations show that dark energy is not changing its behavior over time, and so may be the "constant" Einstein predicted. Neverthelss, more observations are needed over the coming decade (http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/ne...es/2004/12/faq/).

Those two links will provide further insights into this fascinating discussion.

The_Rebel

Old Post 03-09-2004 12:15 PM

Advance
In the Now Guru

post #48  quote:

Thanks Rebel, you are the light of this topic

Old Post 03-09-2004 08:37 PM

j.p.s.
Veteran

yes i know post #49  quote:

Thebig bang has been around forever so has multiple dimensions and many other theories.....we tied them together in a unique way. i was and am still to lazy to type it all it would take atlest 3 pages to sorta explain our idea.

bottom line is we kow nothing really about the universe, i don't claim my idea was correct just different, i'll try find a copy and post it :-s .

i've done a little reading about anti-gravity and matter now i've reading or rather trying to understand a new theory on anti-time.

but it's confusing as hell.

Old Post 03-10-2004 01:55 AM
Click here to Send j.p.s. a Private Message Find more posts by j.p.s. Add j.p.s. to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore j.p.s. REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

nameless
Enthusiast

Local time: 03:28 PM

post #50  quote:

quote:
Kookaburra said this in post #2 :
Oh good, so reality is: I'm not really seeing this HUGE post you just put here, and therefore, completing the entire thing is not necessary. I stopped after the first few paragraphs. You sound like a Hollywood producer about to release a new show, and you're getting in your sales pitch to entice the audience.

Guess I'll finish reading it later.

LMAO thats exactly what I was thinking.....I don't have all day to read it :/ I have a life to live.....or a dream LOL

Old Post 03-11-2004 07:19 PM
Click here to Send nameless a Private Message Find more posts by nameless Add nameless to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore nameless REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

twisted_wizard
Mastermind

post #51  quote:

quote:
Advance said this in post #41 :
Hmm...back on topic: How cool would it be if other animals saw different Dimensions than we did?

quote:
twisted_wizard said this in post #42 :
That would be.... well, I have no say in this as my thoughts don't really know how to make out of this....

but isn't THIS proven fact?
define "dimensions", pls.

quote:
Advance said this in post #43 :
di?men?sion
n.
A measure of spatial extent, especially width, height, or length.
Extent or magnitude; scope. Often used in the plural: a problem of alarming dimensions.
Aspect; element: ?He's a good newsman, and he has that extra dimension? (William S. Paley).
Mathematics.
The least number of independent coordinates required to specify uniquely the points in a space.
The range of such a coordinate.
Physics. A physical property, such as mass, length, time, or a combination thereof, regarded as a fundamental measure or as one of a set of fundamental measures of a physical quantity: Velocity has the dimensions of length divided by time.

I meant YOUR definition of deminsions.

Old Post 03-15-2004 01:09 AM
Time: 11:28 PM Post New Thread   
Pages (2): « 1 [2]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Unexplained Phenomena & Conspiracy > Real
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: