Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Politics & Government > 2004 U.S. Presidential Election > Bush is a manipulative liar
Search this Thread:
Pages (4): « 12 [3] 4 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

Local time: 01:58 PM

post #61  quote:

quote:
Jim Nasium said this in post #54 :
to be credible they should survey 275 million people.

No Jim.....thats your assumption. Overall I dont believe in polls...I find them to be pretty biased...especially computer polls because there are so many people left out.

But if you are gonna come on here and tell me that a credible poll consists of 733 people or 1311 people and that they are the ones that speak for 290 million people.....you had better wake up to reality.

You arent even considering...(in the first poll)

Who did they call? They say Nationwide...but then...

Why only 1311 people? How many were called that refused to participate?

Households that agree to participate in the panel were provided with free Web access and an Internet appliance, which uses a telephone line to connect to the Internet and uses the television as a monitor. In return, panel members participate in surveys three to four times a month.

So they use the same people over and over in their polls....

So its not really random anymore is it?

Why is it that they have to give to get??? Polls should be just done.....things shouldnt have to be given in order to get a response. Id say whatever they wanted if they gave me free access to the web.

Old Post 12-05-2004 09:33 PM
Click here to Send mystic a Private Message Find more posts by mystic Add mystic to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore mystic REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Edward Teach
Blackbeard

Local time: 02:58 PM

post #62  quote:

In the Ukraine they had over a million more votes then they had voters. They were bussing people from town to town. the same people many times all over the country.

Old Post 12-05-2004 09:43 PM
Click here to Send Edward Teach a Private Message View Edward Teach's Journal Visit Edward Teach's homepage! Find more posts by Edward Teach Add Edward Teach to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Edward Teach REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

nikiTa
Definitively Illumined

Local time: 04:28 PM

post #63  quote:

Ahhhh so there is the discrepancy in the exit polls...gotcha.

Old Post 12-05-2004 09:49 PM
Find more posts by nikiTa Add nikiTa to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore nikiTa REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

nikiTa
Definitively Illumined

post #64  quote:

In my state they found 100's of duplicate voter registrations.

long lomg ago in a galaxy far far away there were uncorrupt elections.

Old Post 12-05-2004 09:51 PM
Find more posts by nikiTa Add nikiTa to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore nikiTa REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Sierradaddy
Days of Future Past...

post #65  quote:

I'm so sick of politics...

Old Post 12-05-2004 09:59 PM
Click here to Send Sierradaddy a Private Message Find more posts by Sierradaddy Add Sierradaddy to your buddy list Sierradaddy's MSN ID is smoothline98@hotmail.com Reply w/Quote

becker
Definitively Illumined

post #66  quote:

In my opinion, polls are useless.

I have been called for my opinions and I told them whatever would make them get off the phone.

Most of us would not respond truthfully to any disembodied telephone voice.

Old Post 12-06-2004 12:13 AM
Click here to Send becker a Private Message Find more posts by becker Add becker to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore becker REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Jim Nasium
Mastermind

Local time: 11:58 AM

post #67  quote:

quote:
mystic said this in post #61 :

Its quite amusing people are so hard up to believe in something that they would actually buy into this.

what's really amusing is that polling results of major polling organizations are reported by and relied on by the media; i.e., abc, nbc, cbs, cnn, fox, espn, reuters, etc., etc., etc., as well as political campaigns, yet you and ron think it's a joke. the real reason you think it's a joke is obviously because, too often, you don't want to believe what they tell you. therefore, you disavow all polls, including the ones you'd like to believe, in an effort to maintain your integrity.

someone ought to let the media and the polling organizations know that ron and mystic don't accept their work, so they might as well go out of business. poor george gallup will be out of a job.

back to serious talk now, the reality of all this is that statistical sampling is a SCIENCE, not a gimmick! talk to any university statistics professor, professional statistician or mathematics expert. subject only to the margin of error and the degree of reliability, the results of a statistical sample are accurate. if you then, somehow, are logistically able to count the opinions of the entire population, they would match, or come extremely close to matching, the results of the statistical sample, after giving effect to the margin of error. in plain words, the result of talking to 290 million people would be virtually in the same proportion as the small sample used. i would urge the two of you to take a college course in statistical sampling to understand it better.

seeing is believing. once again, i post the link to the 'gallup poll accuracy report' to illustrate this principle. don't want to believe it? don't believe it! you're only burying your heads in the sand!

Gallup Poll Accuracy Report

Old Post 12-06-2004 12:18 AM
Find more posts by Jim Nasium Add Jim Nasium to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Jim Nasium REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

nikiTa
Definitively Illumined

post #68  quote:

Becker,

No one has EVER called for my opinion in a poll.
All my friends got a dozen calls per night during the election...me nada.

They're too afraid to ask me I think.

Old Post 12-06-2004 12:23 AM

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

post #69  quote:

quote:
Jim Nasium said this in post #67 :

what's really amusing is that polling results of major polling organizations are reported by and relied on by the media; i.e., abc, nbc, cbs, cnn, fox, espn, reuters, etc., etc., etc., as well as political campaigns, yet you and ron think it's a joke. the real reason you think it's a joke is obviously because, too often, you don't want to believe what they tell you. therefore, you disavow all polls, including the ones you'd like to believe, in an effort to maintain your integrity.

someone ought to let the media and the polling organizations know that ron and mystic don't accept their work, so they might as well go out of business. poor george gallup will be out of a job.

back to serious talk now, the reality of all this is that statistical sampling is a SCIENCE, not a gimmick! talk to any university statistics professor, professional statistician or mathematics expert. subject only to the margin of error and the degree of reliability, the results of a statistical sample are accurate. if you then, somehow, are logistically able to count the opinions of the entire population, they would match, or come extremely close to matching, the results of the statistical sample, after giving effect to the margin of error. in plain words, the result of talking to 290 million people would be virtually in the same proportion as the small sample used. i would urge the two of you to take a college course in statistical sampling to understand it better.

seeing is believing. once again, i post the link to the 'gallup poll accuracy report' to illustrate this principle. don't want to believe it? don't believe it! you're only burying your heads in the sand!

[/URL]

Jim....

wake up to reality bud....

This poll Eve put up (that you so readily agreed with)...ISNT a gallop poll..and it only consisted of 1311 people in one and 733 people in another...

They offered them an incentive to be involved and they allow them to be part of other polls....and with that in mind...

What part of biased do you not understand??

Wah wah wah....cry all you want...but no intelligent person would buy into this so easily given the methodology and people polled.

Old Post 12-06-2004 02:07 AM
Click here to Send mystic a Private Message Find more posts by mystic Add mystic to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore mystic REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

post #70  quote:

quote:
becker said this in post #66 :
In my opinion, polls are useless.

I have been called for my opinions and I told them whatever would make them get off the phone.

Most of us would not respond truthfully to any disembodied telephone voice.

Thats exactly right Becker!

But these people want to believe so very badly that they dont even take into consideration the things involved in the actual poll. They read the stats and believe!

Tell them what they want to hear and they believe!

Cult leaders thrive on these type of individuals.

Old Post 12-06-2004 02:11 AM

becker
Definitively Illumined

post #71  quote:

I have been trying my utmost to explain the real facts to them, but alas,, they turn a deaf ear.

I feel sorry for them. They will forever be dissatisfied and unhappy about things.

Old Post 12-06-2004 02:24 AM
Click here to Send becker a Private Message Find more posts by becker Add becker to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore becker REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

nikiTa
Definitively Illumined

post #72  quote:

IMHO, polls are merely marketing ploys....they should have stuck to polls when trying to discern what the favorite toothpaste is, or what's your favorite beer.

But no, they are being used to sway opinion.

People need to stand up on their own two feet and base their opinions on facts and data....intuition....and moral values (or lack thereof in some cases).

You are right Mystic...cult leaders thrive on this....because using opinion polls to base your own opinion on shows you really can't think for yourself anyway.

Old Post 12-06-2004 02:26 AM

becker
Definitively Illumined

post #73  quote:

Poll believers probably wallow in all the "Reality" Shows.

Somebody needs to watch them.

I am watching re-runs of Seinfeld.

Old Post 12-06-2004 02:40 AM

Gold Member
Edward Teach
Blackbeard

post #74  quote:

So our solution is the Electorial College. I used to think that we should do away with the Electorial College and just go with the popular vote. Well I've changed my mind on that. We still need the EC.

Old Post 12-06-2004 03:20 AM
Click here to Send Edward Teach a Private Message View Edward Teach's Journal Visit Edward Teach's homepage! Find more posts by Edward Teach Add Edward Teach to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Edward Teach REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Jim Nasium
Mastermind

post #75  quote:

quote:
mystic said this in post #69 :

Jim....

wake up to reality bud....

This poll Eve put up (that you so readily agreed with)...ISNT a gallop poll..and it only consisted of 1311 people in one and 733 people in another...

They offered them an incentive to be involved and they allow them to be part of other polls....and with that in mind...

What part of biased do you not understand??

Wah wah wah....cry all you want...but no intelligent person would buy into this so easily given the methodology and people polled.

what you don't understand, mystic, and evidently never will, is that you or i could also do a poll and get the correct results IF WE FOLLOWED THE PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS OF STATISTICAL SAMPLING. the degree of accuracy and the percentage of tolerance of error dictates the size of the sample. yes, the opinion of a population of 290 million people (or whatever it actually is right now) could be determined by polling a sample of, possibly, only a few hundred people, assuming the pollster is willing to accept a certainty of say, 95% reliability with a 3% margin of error. if you had a course in statistical sampling, you would understand this concept. if i recall, you live in missouri. guess what? you could conduct a poll with a sample size of, perhaps, 100 people and derive the results of the entire state. (i'm just guessing to illustrate my point - the actual required sample size might be 50 or it might be 300. it depends on a number of factors). that is, if you religiously followed the proper standards and procedures for statistical sampling. then, assuming you had done all that, you could have all those people go to the polls and vote on those same issues and be shocked at how close you came.

you refer to 'bias'. you hit the nail on the head. 'bias' is the key word here. a sample may not be biased. it must be based on a random selection with no bias, or it is not a valid sample. that means that the questions should not be slanted or misleading. the professional polling organizations are in the business of polling. they know EXACTLY how to phrase their questions, without bias, and with a randomly selected, actuarially determined sample size, so as to achieve true results. if they didn't, they would have been out of business long ago. this is how polling has been done since time immemorial. again, i strongly urge you to learn something about statistical sampling, so you won't be such a 'doubting thomas'.

whether a gallop poll or not, if the organization (in this case, PIPA, on behalf of the university of maryland) conducted their poll in accordance with the standards of statistical sampling, it is a valid poll. as for the sample size, a formula dictates the required size. as i pointed out in another post on this topic, sometimes a sample of 100 is too large. other times, a sample size of 1000 may be too small. the key is that THE SAMPLE SIZE IS SCIENTIFICALLY ESTABLISHED!

who are you to arbitrarily say that PIPA was not qualified to do this poll, merely because they are not gallup? could that statement be prompted by the fact that you didn't care for the results of the survey?

get real, mystic. the survey results at the time were published all over the place, by various news media. i read it, i heard it on the radio and i saw it on the internet. with limited research only today, i found at least ten web sites that still report the results of that poll. then i stopped looking. more likely than not, at the time the poll results were released, there were dozens of news organizations and web sites that did the same.

if this poll had been conducted by the "baltimore neighbors for better government", it would not have been worthy to report in such a widespread fashion. but it wasn't. it was done under the auspices of the university of maryland, and you can bet your bippy that it was done scientifically, if it was trusted enough to be published by the media. this was not a telephone survey like you and i and ron and everyone else gets (all too often) asking which product we like better, wheaties or puffed rice, or how many football games we plan to attend next fall. furthermore, i will grant you that 'computer polling' is not always trustworthy. for example, republicans might go to vote on the fox site and democrats on the msnbc site, thus failimg the 'bias' test, not to mention the fact that they are not done on a statistical sampling basis. we are not talking about that type of poll, please understand that.

'wah, wah, wah'? YOU are the one who is crying. you cannot stand to ever be shown to be wrong. well, you are wrong on this one, mystic. there are many things said on this board that are debatable issues, with two diametrically opposing points of view. you and i, and others, have been involved with many of them. that is one thing. this is another. polling is a science. it is an institution in this country. it is very, very, very seldom wrong, but you seem to distrust every one you hear about in this forum if it comes from a non-bush supporter. on this you (and ron) are absoutely, unequivocally, DEAD wrong!

we may go on arguing political views forever and a day and convince one another of nothing, but for you (and all your fellow right wing apologists here) to demean the credibility of polling by reputable organizations, ALL reputable organizations, that abide by professional standards, is appalling.

Old Post 12-06-2004 04:32 AM
Find more posts by Jim Nasium Add Jim Nasium to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Jim Nasium REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

becker
Definitively Illumined

post #76  quote:

The ones who have time and patience to provide "Poll" results are ones who have no clue to what goes on in the Real World.

Ergo: The Poll Results will always be wrong.

When the majority learn to think for themselves in lieu of accepting media opinions..the Polls have a possibility of being correct.

If one does not see below the surface.......,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old Post 12-06-2004 07:57 PM

Staff
Sierradaddy
Days of Future Past...

post #77  quote:

Is the Electoral Vote supposed to be a way of taking away the decision made by the popular vote? I can't stand the idea of that.

The whole point of democracy is allowing the PEOPLE to choose their leader. Not allowing the Electoral College to do it for them. I think it's bad practice for a democracy to consider the votes of a few elected officials over the votes of the millions of people who put those officials in office.

The electoral collge votes seem to me to show the true nature of what a democracy is in this day and age: a government TYPE that deceives it's citizens into believing that they are in control of who SERVES them. When in reality, the government CONTROLS the people and continues to hold it's POWER through cleverly devised clauses in how the votes of different types are considered.

I was in high school in what I was told would be an easy U.S. History class (it WAS, since I knew more about U.S. history than I did about Canadian history, and still do...), in 11th grade, when I was told about the Electoral college. Immediately I didn't like it. Perhaps I don't quite understand it, or perhaps I see it for what it really is. In anycase, that's my opinion.

Old Post 12-06-2004 08:18 PM
Click here to Send Sierradaddy a Private Message Find more posts by Sierradaddy Add Sierradaddy to your buddy list Sierradaddy's MSN ID is smoothline98@hotmail.com Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

post #78  quote:

quote:
Jim Nasium said this in post #75 :

what you don't understand, mystic, and evidently never will, is that you or i could also do a poll and get the correct results IF WE FOLLOWED THE PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS OF STATISTICAL SAMPLING. the degree of accuracy and the percentage of tolerance of error dictates the size of the sample. yes, the opinion of a population of 290 million people (or whatever it actually is right now) could be determined by polling a sample of, possibly, only a few hundred people, assuming the pollster is willing to accept a certainty of say, 95% reliability with a 3% margin of error. if you had a course in statistical sampling, you would understand this concept.

Actually I did have a course in this...It was the Practice of Social Research. NOW.if you would have taken a class in this you would know that you have to have a size representative of the actual size of the population studied...1311 or 733 people doesnt represent that size. DUH!

if i recall, you live in missouri. guess what? you could conduct a poll with a sample size of, perhaps, 100 people and derive the results of the entire state. (i'm just guessing to illustrate my point - the actual required sample size might be 50 or it might be 300. it depends on a number of factors). that is, if you religiously followed the proper standards and procedures for statistical sampling. then, assuming you had done all that, you could have all those people go to the polls and vote on those same issues and be shocked at how close you came.

Sure whatever you say Jim! What you dont understand is that the people in the first poll were given an incentive to participate...if you understood what bias is in polling you would know that it has now entered the poll. AND Now that these people are all chosen to participate in 3-4 polls per month, you have lost EPSEM in future polls!

you refer to 'bias'. you hit the nail on the head. 'bias' is the key word here. a sample may not be biased. it must be based on a random selection with no bias, or it is not a valid sample. that means that the questions should not be slanted or misleading. the professional polling organizations are in the business of polling. they know EXACTLY how to phrase their questions, without bias, and with a randomly selected, actuarially determined sample size, so as to achieve true results. if they didn't, they would have been out of business long ago. this is how polling has been done since time immemorial. again, i strongly urge you to learn something about statistical sampling, so you won't be such a 'doubting thomas'.

So you are saying that bias is never happening in poll situations???? Like I said..wake up to reality Jim...there is concious and non-concious bias involved in polls all the time...if you dont believe that then you really are living in a fantasy world!

whether a gallop poll or not, if the organization (in this case, PIPA, on behalf of the university of maryland) conducted their poll in accordance with the standards of statistical sampling, it is a valid poll. as for the sample size, a formula dictates the required size. as i pointed out in another post on this topic, sometimes a sample of 100 is too large. other times, a sample size of 1000 may be too small. the key is that THE SAMPLE SIZE IS SCIENTIFICALLY ESTABLISHED!

Not if it isnt proportionate to the population studied...

who are you to arbitrarily say that PIPA was not qualified to do this poll, merely because they are not gallup? could that statement be prompted by the fact that you didn't care for the results of the survey?

Since they hired another company to di it, then they didnt really so the poll themselves Jim...and since there was incentive involved and eince the size doesnt even equal 1 percent of the population studied...then it isnt truth...

Believe what you want Jim....its your mind...if you cant think for yourself...thats certainly not my problem.

get real, mystic. the survey results at the time were published all over the place, by various news media. i read it, i heard it on the radio and i saw it on the internet. with limited research only today, i found at least ten web sites that still report the results of that poll. then i stopped looking. more likely than not, at the time the poll results were released, there were dozens of news organizations and web sites that did the same.

Jim...get your own thought system will ya and stop relying on others to help you think!

'wah, wah, wah'? YOU are the one who is crying. you cannot stand to ever be shown to be wrong. well, you are wrong on this one, mystic. there are many things said on this board that are debatable issues, with two diametrically opposing points of view. you and i, and others, have been involved with many of them. that is one thing. this is another. polling is a science. it is an institution in this country. it is very, very, very seldom wrong, but you seem to distrust every one you hear about in this forum if it comes from a non-bush supporter. on this you (and ron) are absoutely, unequivocally, DEAD wrong!

Im not crying...It doesnt bother me one bit that I can think for myself...I think its quite humerous that you cant think unless 60 percent of 1300 people say something and you buy it!

Old Post 12-06-2004 08:47 PM

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

post #79  quote:

quote:
becker said this in post #76 :
The ones who have time and patience to provide "Poll" results are ones who have no clue to what goes on in the Real World.

Ergo: The Poll Results will always be wrong.

When the majority learn to think for themselves in lieu of accepting media opinions..the Polls have a possibility of being correct.

If one does not see below the surface.......,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

EXACTLY Becker!

Old Post 12-06-2004 08:48 PM

becker
Definitively Illumined

post #80  quote:

Mystic.....

Very well stated!!!

At least there is someone here that thinks clearly.

thanks.......

Old Post 12-06-2004 08:52 PM

Jim Nasium
Mastermind

post #81  quote:

quote:
mystic said this in post #61 :
Of course thats just my opinion....I could be wrong.

you're wrong, all right.

i stand by everything i said 100% and disagree with everything you said 1,000%!

i'm through arguing with you only because i'm worn out trying to make you see straight. according to everything i gleaned from your arguments, no polls can be trusted (except maybe a gallup poll, here and there). the polling organizations have been pulling the wool over everybody's eyes for decades now.

yeah, right!

Old Post 12-06-2004 10:09 PM

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

post #82  quote:

Hey Jim...

One question for you...

If there are three polls and one shows that Kerry was leading, one shows that Bush was leading and the other one shows that they are in a tie...which one do you believe?

Oh..the one that shows that Kerry was leading? Yeah...thats what I thought.

Old Post 12-06-2004 10:37 PM

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

post #83  quote:

quote:
Jim Nasium said this in post #81 :

you're wrong, all right.

i stand by everything i said 100% and disagree with everything you said 1,000%!

i'm through arguing with you only because i'm worn out trying to make you see straight. according to everything i gleaned from your arguments, no polls can be trusted (except maybe a gallup poll, here and there). the polling organizations have been pulling the wool over everybody's eyes for decades now.

yeah, right!

Thats funny Jim....you disagree with everything I say 1000 percent...but you believe everything poll you read 1000 percent...

Wow...you sure are a man of mystery!

Old Post 12-06-2004 10:40 PM

Eve Long
Enthusiast

post #84  quote:

Ahh, yes! It must be wonderful to be perfect and never wrong about anything!

Old Post 12-06-2004 11:20 PM
Find more posts by Eve Long Add Eve Long to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Eve Long REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

becker
Definitively Illumined

post #85  quote:

It must be terrible to be so totally misinformed.....

Old Post 12-07-2004 01:18 AM

Eve Long
Enthusiast

Extra! Extra! Read All About it! post #86  quote:

MYSTIC AND BECKER EXPOSE DUPLICITOUS POLL FINDINGS.

Nation stunned as political surveys found to be irrelevant due to use of inadequate, biased sample sizes. Administration to advocate criminal charges against polling organizations for perpetrating scams. Duped media to file suit to recover fees paid for surveys.

"Findings from most polls, but particularly all polls that support Democratic positions, are unreliable and phoney," said Mystic in an interview this morning. After decades of service, the nation's pollsters are about to fold up their tents, following disclosure of these shocking revelations. It is anticipated that George W. Bush will demand that lie detector tests be administered to the executives of these polling organizations.

Old Post 12-07-2004 03:40 AM
Find more posts by Eve Long Add Eve Long to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Eve Long REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

post #87  quote:

quote:
becker said this in post #85 :
It must be terrible to be so totally misinformed.....

Isnt it though.

Whats even more funny is that Eve, who has NO time on her hands whatsoever, had the time to put together such a post with our names on it! Isnt that alone just amazing that she would put aside her busy day for us...

You sure too are too busy Eve? Seems to me that you have TOO much time on your hands.

Last edited by mystic on 12-07-2004 at 04:27 AM |
Old Post 12-07-2004 04:11 AM

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

post #88  quote:

Why Polls Shouldn't Be Used to Make Decisions

By: Joe Messerli

You've seen the daily headlines and news stories: 71 percent support the Iraq war, up from 69.7 percent last week...78 percent support a ban on partial birth abortion...40 percent support a dividend tax cut according to one poll, but 55 percent according to another poll....95 percent of American people polled are sick of hearing poll results...blah blah blah. It seems every day in every newspaper and every news show we get a new poll. Americans are fascinated with polls, and they often base their opinions and views of the world on their results. Politicians do the same, but to a much larger extent, and they will usually base their decisions largely on these poll numbers.

Is this a good thing? To a certain extent, yes, it is. After all, a politician is specifically elected to represent a collection of people. Who would want an official in government who never listens to the people? Polls are a way to make the voice of the individual citizen heard. Unfortunately, things aren't all that simple. Polls are inherently bad vehicles for making a decision. Although they should always be taken into consideration, polls are a very poor way to determine the correct course of action. Let's examine the reasons polls have limited usefulness.
Poll Results Aren't Always Reliable

Polls can be inaccurate for a number of reasons:

Samples can be too small in size or unrepresentative of the population

It's normally too expensive or time-consuming to survey everyone in population; thus, we must rely on samples to gauge the opinions of everyone. A reliable, scientific poll questions a large enough sample of people to ensure statistical accuracy and includes a representative selection of respondents. Thus, a poll designed to represent American public opinion wouldn't be very reliable if it only included 10 people or included only white males. It's rare that news reports will mention details of the information sample or how the survey was conducted. Viewers and readers usually just take the poll results as fact. For example, what if I reported a poll that said 96 percent of Americans are pro-choice? This obviously doesn't reflect American public opinion, but if the source was a survey of the feminist magazine lady readers, the results would be understandable. A clever or sloppy journalist can obscure the source and portray public opinion in an inaccurate way. Think about all the polls that are done today and how easy results can become unrepresentative. Web polls exclude people without web access and those who don't visit that particular site. Polls also exclude those that don't have the time or interest to respond. Think about TV polls. Fox generally has more conservative viewers; CNN generally has more liberal viewers. Thus, their polls results may be skewed to the conservative or liberal side regardless of the issue. The chances for error or bias are endless.

Polls can ask leading questions

Questions can be worded in a way that leads a respondent to answer that may or may not reflect his true feelings. For example, I could ask the question "Do you want to stop the war in Iraq so the lives of innocent civilians can be spared?" Virtually every American wants to prevent innocent loss of life, so many respondents may answer yes to this question, even if they think the war is morally just. But reporters summarizing the results may say "...95 percent of respondents answered yes when asked if they wanted to stop the war". The questioner can also surround the question with information that biases the answer. For example, "Seventy percent of homeless shelter residents are single mothers and their children. Should the next fiscal budget include an increase in funds to local shelters?" Respondents may believe the money is better spent on other areas, but the extra information points people in the direction of one answer.

Polls can omit some of the possible answers, leading to either-or answers that don't reflect reality

Answers to poll questions are often more complicated that yes-no or among a small list of choices. For example, a poll may ask "Do you support a war with Syria?" The only choices may be yes or no. But many people may say "Yes, but only if they are making nuclear weapons" or "Yes, but only if it is sanctioned by the U.N." Another example is a consumer confidence question that asks, "Do you consider yourself rich or poor?" Many people will want to answer something in between, but that isn't a choice.

People recording survey results may be dishonest or sloppy in recording results

Whether the poll is done in person, by phone, by mail, or by web, a human being has to eventually tally & report the results. That causes problems for two reasons. One, the person is prone to mistakes. If you're tallying thousands of responses, you're bound to make mistakes. Even if a computer handles the tally, computers are still programmed by humans. Second, the person may be dishonest and wants to achieve a certain result. For example, assume I'm a passionate advocate for banning the death penalty and am taking a phone survey. A strong poll result showing the public in favor of a death-penalty ban may convince some politicians to take action. When taking a poll, it's easy for me to put some extra chalk marks in the anti-death penalty column even when people are answering pro-death penalty in the phone calls. Eventually, I may just achieve the poll result that I want.

Poll results can be presented in a misleading way

Most news stories don't present the raw data behind a poll and let you draw your own conclusion. Instead, the results will be presented in summary format as part of an analysis article . For example, a poll question may ask "Do you support military action to unseat the Islamic fundamentalist regime of Iran (Yes | No | Unsure)?" The raw data result may be: 29 percent support, 28 percent oppose, 43 percent unsure. The correct conclusion to draw from this poll is that the public generally hasn't made up its mind or needs more information. However, a biased reporter may selectively draw from the results and give the wrong impression. For example, "The idea of military action against Iran is increasingly unpopular. A recent poll concluded that only 29 percent support action, handcuffing the hawks of the Bush administration."

Even if polls are scientifically accurate and are done by unbiased, profession polling organizations, there are still other problems that make polls unreliable.

Results Change Daily Depending on the Latest News, Speeches, Moods, Etc.Public opinion follows a cyclical flow depending on the latest current events and mood of the public. If you took a poll on 9/12/2001 asking what the President's primary concern should be, over 90 percent of the public would answer the War on Terror. If you asked the same question now, the War on Terror would finish well behind the economy and Iraq stability phase. This is just one example of how public opinion changes constantly. The presidential approval rating almost always will spike up in the aftermath of war or after a State of the Union address. After a particularly bad weekend in the Iraq War in which several servicemen were captured, a helicopter crash occurred, and a few dirty Iraqi tactics resulted in American deaths, polls showed that almost 60 percent of the public thought the war would last over three months. It's pretty clear that you can't depend on public opinion polls to make decisions when opinions are so wide and fleeting.

Old Post 12-07-2004 04:46 AM

Eve Long
Enthusiast

post #89  quote:

quote:
mystic said this in post #87 :

You sure too are too busy Eve? Seems to me that you have TOO much time on your hands.

Wrong once again. I have no more time for the likes of you, Queen of Everything. Have a great life.

[ADMIN]You may think you're clever and cute, but if you do anything like this again, you will not be welcome back.[/ADMIN]

Old Post 12-07-2004 04:49 AM

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

post #90  quote:

How long did that take you to do? Guess you just skipped right over the article about polls I put up for you...I thought you might learn the way they work...guess you arent interested in that though...

You just go on and live in your own little poll fantasy world.

Old Post 12-07-2004 04:57 AM
Time: 07:58 PM Post New Thread   
Pages (4): « 12 [3] 4 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Politics & Government > 2004 U.S. Presidential Election > Bush is a manipulative liar
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: