Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Computers & Internet > whats better intel or Athlon
Search this Thread:
Pages (2):  [1] 2 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

Local time: 11:24 PM

whats better intel or Athlon post #1  quote:

i have recently got a new computer, all my old computers have an intel processor, but my new one in AMD 64 Athlon.

the question i have is, which is the better company / processor, Athlon or Intel

Old Post 01-20-2005 05:25 AM
Click here to Send flying panda a Private Message View flying panda's Journal Find more posts by flying panda Add flying panda to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore flying panda REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

esskay
Rookie

Local time: 03:24 PM

post #2  quote:

Well try this out: which processor ihas a native 64bit architecture and which does not? I've not purchased an Athlon yet myself as I don't upgrade my personal PC hardware very often (too busy USING my machine to upgrade it!), but I use them Athlon's on a regular basis for business and dollar for dollar, they can't be beat (yet).

Old Post 01-20-2005 06:02 AM
Find more posts by esskay Add esskay to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore esskay REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

Local time: 04:24 PM

post #3  quote:

I agree with Sean. I bought a Celeron, but only because the overall deal was really good. The centrino technology gives an edge to Intel, but only for laptops.

M.

Old Post 01-20-2005 06:04 AM
Click here to Send adityamahesh a Private Message Find more posts by adityamahesh Add adityamahesh to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore adityamahesh REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #4  quote:

i know, it was dead cheap, a 200 GB hard drive cost around ?600. they had ?100 of the normal price, and i got 10% off cos my bro works in the place, but still cheap for the specs. and they gave me a 17" screen instead of a 14", so im happy

the reason i broght a new comp is the back light of my laptop broke, and apparently its really expensive to repair, the warnety had just ran out as well. (its been an ongoing problem.)

i got a desktop because;
1- its easier to upgrade,
2- any probelems are cheaper to fix, you just get a new mouse if id brakes, instead of sending in the whole machene. conveniance

(sorry about spelling)

Old Post 01-20-2005 06:10 AM
Click here to Send flying panda a Private Message View flying panda's Journal Find more posts by flying panda Add flying panda to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore flying panda REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

esskay
Rookie

post #5  quote:

200GB for ?600!? It had better be SCSI for that price. If it's ATA then I'm going to change my business model to start shipping ATA drives to U.K.

Old Post 01-20-2005 06:28 AM
Find more posts by esskay Add esskay to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore esskay REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

post #6  quote:

Better start asking for contracts Sean.

M.

Old Post 01-20-2005 06:31 AM
Click here to Send adityamahesh a Private Message Find more posts by adityamahesh Add adityamahesh to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore adityamahesh REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #7  quote:

ok explain ... im computer freindly, but when it comes to exact computer types i have trouble

what does SCSI mean?
what does ATA mean?

do you think i spent too much if its ATA? it was the cheapest in store.

Old Post 01-20-2005 06:37 AM

adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

post #8  quote:

SCSI and ATA.

M.

Old Post 01-20-2005 06:41 AM

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #9  quote:

ok and how am i ment to find out which one it is without taking the frome of the upright. (from just looking at the spec and outside of the case ) all this inards of the computer stuff is giving me a head ach

Old Post 01-20-2005 06:48 AM

esskay
Rookie

post #10  quote:

Let's put it this way: here you can get ATA drives for between 50 and 75 cents per gigabyte. You paid roughly several dollars per gigabyte. Unless you got severely ripped off, or bought it 4 years ago, the price alone puts it in the ball park of SCSI which are more expensive because they're architecturally superior to ATA drives and in most cases operate faster. There's no painless way of identifying the drive type though unless you know what you're looking at.

Old Post 01-20-2005 07:36 AM

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #11  quote:

OK i supose it would be SCSI, its pritty quick. it also has DVD burning (dont know if that makes a difference :lol i supose its a SCSI, most the prices of the computers were about, or just over ?1000 and they were only 40 GB to 80 GB.

i thought that was the general price for computers, i mean technology is getting better. and remember its not jsut for the hard drive, its for the 14" (which i got a 17") screen as well as other stuff. i think my friend can build a basic computer for about ?200.

Old Post 01-20-2005 07:46 AM

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #12  quote:

i bought it last week

Old Post 01-20-2005 07:47 AM

esskay
Rookie

post #13  quote:

Wait - 600 was the cost of the whole computer, or just the hard drive? From your first comment I got the impression that's what you paid for just the drive. If 600 for the whole machine then it's probably an ATA drive. ATA drives are fast too and unless you're a system administrator or multimedia producer/video editor, most people don't know the difference. I happen to wear both those hats AND I'm an engineer with development experience in mass storage data systems such as hard drives

Old Post 01-20-2005 07:51 AM

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #14  quote:

well i know who to come to then.

maybe i was abit vague, but when i say "computer" i usually mean the whole lot. but a screen is between ?200 and ?400 for 14" to 19" so thats only ?200 - ?400 for the hard drive, with Wndows XP home, DVD burning soiftware (nero and cyberlink powerDVD) and Works 8, so i think its a good deal

Old Post 01-20-2005 07:58 AM

Staff
Sierradaddy
Days of Future Past...

Local time: 05:24 PM

post #15  quote:

Well, if panda got the whole shebang for 600, then that's a fine deal indeed. I initially thought panda was referring to just the 200 GB hard drive also, but I think we were mistaken.

I agree with both Sean and M. AMD is cheaper and generally performs right up there with Intel in regards to PCs. But for laptops, Intel has AMD by the cajones, because Intel Centrino mobile technology is THE BEST laptop processor by far.

I understand that AMD runs a bit hotter than Intel, but nothing unmanageable. And I've found that the AMD Athlon XP 2500+ that I built (then gave to my girlfriend because I'm on to another project...) performs flawlessly and quite fast. I'd say that for people who want to get into building their own PC, AMD is the way to go. You save a few bucks and get performance that is practically equal to a comparable Intel CPU, plus you get the satisfaction of building your own machine.

Old Post 01-20-2005 05:50 PM
Click here to Send Sierradaddy a Private Message Find more posts by Sierradaddy Add Sierradaddy to your buddy list Sierradaddy's MSN ID is smoothline98@hotmail.com Reply w/Quote

esskay
Rookie

post #16  quote:

quote:
flying panda said this in post #14 :
..when i say "computer" i usually mean the whole lot [...] thats only ?200 - ?400 for the hard drive...

Holy cow, get your terminology straight! Is it a "computer" or is it a "hard drive"? I would suggest just sticking to "computer." The computer has quite a number of distinct parts inside, one of them is a "hard drive." But your "hard drive" is NOT your "computer." Thus when you say "I picked up a hard drive for 600?" it sounds like you got severely ripped off because that is just one small part of the complete "computer."

Old Post 01-20-2005 06:57 PM

esskay
Rookie

post #17  quote:

quote:
Sierradaddy said this in post #15 :
Well, if panda got the whole shebang for 600, then that's a fine deal indeed.

Not $600US - ?600 which is more than $1KUS. Seems like a high-ish price to me, but I build my own systems for rock-bottom pricing and top performance.

Old Post 01-20-2005 06:59 PM

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #18  quote:

ok, so we've established the anwser to my question ... Athlon matches Intels in terms of Desk tops, but Intel wins hands down in the laptop market ??? right

Old Post 01-20-2005 07:42 PM

adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

post #19  quote:

quote:
flying panda said this in post #18 :
Intel wins hands down in the laptop market ??? right

Not exactly. The Centrino chips are more expensive because they contain more L2 cache. A Centrino processor is only useful when you need 4 or 5 hours of battery life. Otherwise, most other Intel and AMD mobile processors provide a decent battery life of 2-2.5 hours, which in my opinion is quite enough. Plus if you use the different power options according to the work you are doing, you can make the battery last even longer.

M.

Old Post 01-20-2005 07:46 PM

Staff
Sierradaddy
Days of Future Past...

Local time: 05:24 PM

post #20  quote:

I understand that Centrino also is the only chip that offers built-in Wi-Fi. Is this correct?

Old Post 01-20-2005 09:29 PM
Click here to Send Sierradaddy a Private Message Find more posts by Sierradaddy Add Sierradaddy to your buddy list Sierradaddy's MSN ID is smoothline98@hotmail.com Reply w/Quote

adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

post #21  quote:

No, the chip does not have a built in Wireless adapter (not as far as I know -- and I bought my laptop only a few months ago). The computers with Centrino technology come with an option of having an Intel wireless adapter. The basic idea behind the Centrino chip is to use more cache memory and less processing speed to produce less heat and thus consume less energy, thereby extending the battery life a lot while maintaining comparable processing power, and therefore improving mobility.

M.

Old Post 01-20-2005 09:39 PM

Gold Member
Delta
Stormy Weather

Local time: 06:24 PM

post #22  quote:

Stuff Lap tops,my nails are too long too feel comfortable with a LT.

My computer was built for me by my nephew who is in the business. The Modem is a Sam sung, Has two disk drives can play DVD and download info.

Like in my business quotes and my printer is attached to the whole system.

Can print so easy.

I HAVE an H drive and A G drive,
I can watch DVDS right here, AM NOT AS COMPUTER LITERATE AS MOST OF YOU,However it fits my needs both Business wise and personal
I know I need to study more to be able to converse with you guys, but we all start somewhere, ya know.
The cost was $400 for the Modem and then I had to buy the Monitor aBOUT $350. MICROTEK 17 inches (diagonal)
D

Old Post 01-20-2005 10:14 PM
Click here to Send Delta a Private Message Find more posts by Delta Add Delta to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Delta REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

post #23  quote:

For starters, I would like to mention that drive letters don't mean s***.

M.

Old Post 01-20-2005 10:16 PM

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #24  quote:

yea the drive names can be anything

Old Post 01-20-2005 10:21 PM

Gold Member
Delta
Stormy Weather

post #25  quote:

Ok so what do I know? Never said I was as smart ae you Adi, but i m polite.

So talk to your friends I am outta here, Obiviously I don't belong as Adi has so pointed out.

D

Old Post 01-20-2005 10:23 PM
Click here to Send Delta a Private Message Find more posts by Delta Add Delta to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Delta REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

esskay
Rookie

post #26  quote:

Sheesh you guys...

Anyway regarding Wi-Fi, I too had heard that some processor (coming soon?) is to have integrated Wi-Fi. It's mysterious to me why they would want to do that as such capabilities should be a property of the system board, not of the core CPU. I find it a stupid idea to embed some protocol-specific communication technology into the CPU. I don't recall which Mfr/product line it was slated to be a part of though.

Old Post 01-20-2005 10:42 PM

Gold Member
Delta
Stormy Weather

post #27  quote:

I had no business coming in here so Sheese its impossible to learn anything when one is being put down. SO THERE

Next time I come back I will be on an even basis.( HO HO)

D

Old Post 01-20-2005 10:47 PM

adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

post #28  quote:

quote:
Delta said this in post #25 :
Ok so what do I know? Never said I was as smart ae you Adi, but i m polite.

So talk to your friends I am outta here, Obiviously I don't belong as Adi has so pointed out.

D

Hey, I wasn't being a show off. I was just being a bit annoying. Sorry Delta.

M.

Old Post 01-20-2005 10:49 PM

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #29  quote:

i didnt mean to be mean, i was posting as your second post Delta.

i must admit the some of this stuff goes over my head.

Old Post 01-20-2005 10:51 PM

Gold Member
Delta
Stormy Weather

post #30  quote:

Adi does it to be annoying. Annoying is his right. Well I don;t want to go thru life as being annoyiing, Guess he does

I am not talking to youFP Enjoy your CP

D

Old Post 01-20-2005 11:00 PM
Time: 11:24 PM Post New Thread   
Pages (2):  [1] 2 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Computers & Internet > whats better intel or Athlon
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: