Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Computers & Internet > Is Service Pack 2 really that bad?
Search this Thread:
Pages (2): « 1 [2]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
nikiTa
Definitively Illumined

Local time: 09:03 AM

post #31  quote:

Chodder you have a good point,
but alas I can only strike it as me being a dummasss.

I will be sure and triple my medication tonight.

And Sean, please be more specific when you insult someone.
I cannot be tripling my medication forever.
Lo siento mucho. Je regret.

Old Post 01-14-2005 09:55 PM
Find more posts by nikiTa Add nikiTa to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore nikiTa REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Delta
Stormy Weather

Local time: 07:33 AM

post #32  quote:

quote:
sowhatsthetruth said this in post #32 :
Chodder you have a good point,
but alas I can only strike it as me being a dummasss.

I will be sure and triple my medication tonight.

I cannot be tripling my medication forever.
Lo siento mucho. Je regret.

YOu either develop a thick skin sweetie or go visit a love boat thread. Hee Hee.

D

Old Post 01-14-2005 10:01 PM
Click here to Send Delta a Private Message Find more posts by Delta Add Delta to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Delta REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

nikiTa
Definitively Illumined

post #33  quote:

Yeah well I can dish it out and can't take it.
I work with these nasty computers all day and I take out my frustration with them in the computer forum.
I detest Microshaft as much as any one else here, or more!

And I don't need or want a fore skin thank you. hee hee

And where are the "love boat" threads on this forum anyhow?
I just don't feel the love here....except from Becker....he's fulllll of the love.
Maybe you can ask Whidden to come up with one.

Old Post 01-14-2005 10:06 PM
Find more posts by nikiTa Add nikiTa to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore nikiTa REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Delta
Stormy Weather

post #34  quote:

Whidden has been on a saucy nasty Shakespere mode of the last few days.

Saying naugthy things to ALL SPECIALLY us girls in flowery prose he copies from the internet. He called Fuscia a saucy tart. I felt left out.

I was playing about the Love boat, ain't no such thing here. Its guts and no glory.Play the cards ya got dealt. Chodders right its that nasty new avatar it scares all of us.
D

Old Post 01-14-2005 10:16 PM
Click here to Send Delta a Private Message Find more posts by Delta Add Delta to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Delta REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

becker
Definitively Illumined

post #35  quote:

quote:
sowhatsthetruth said this in post #34 :
Yeah well I can dish it out and can't take it.
I work with these nasty computers all day and I take out my frustration with them in the computer forum.
I detest Microshaft as much as any one else here, or more!

And I don't need or want a fore skin thank you. hee hee

And where are the "love boat" threads on this forum anyhow?
I just don't feel the love here....except from Becker....he's fulllll of the love.
Maybe you can ask Whidden to come up with one.

Becker just says exactly what he truly thinks. Some people cannot deal with it. Thanks...SWTT. You made my day.

Old Post 01-14-2005 11:15 PM
Click here to Send becker a Private Message Find more posts by becker Add becker to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore becker REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

esskay
Rookie

Local time: 04:33 AM

post #36  quote:

quote:
sowhatsthetruth said this in post #32 :

Sorry, I just thought that the "thread" part of the threaded discussion was enough to establish the necessary context...

Old Post 01-15-2005 01:02 AM
Find more posts by esskay Add esskay to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore esskay REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Delta
Stormy Weather

post #37  quote:

That means SEAN you are ASSUMING and you know what that means.Ha
D

Old Post 01-15-2005 01:13 AM

esskay
Rookie

post #38  quote:

No no no - I never assume. I simply presume to deduce.

Old Post 01-15-2005 01:15 AM
Find more posts by esskay Add esskay to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore esskay REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Delta
Stormy Weather

post #39  quote:

Ok fuss is over but please direct me:

Yeah, thanks. I have a real special place in my heart for you too, right at the top and to the left a little.

I been trying to figure out the human anatomy and this don;t make sense Buddy.

D

Old Post 01-15-2005 01:33 AM

nikiTa
Definitively Illumined

post #40  quote:

When I was all ticked off....I was going to reply to that in this manner:

"You might want to have that checked by a proctologist."

Please just take that as humor.

Old Post 01-15-2005 01:37 AM

esskay
Rookie

post #41  quote:

quote:
Delta said this in post #40 :
Ok fuss is over but please direct me:

Yeah, thanks. I have a real special place in my heart for you too, right at the top and to the left a little.

I been trying to figure out the human anatomy and this don;t make sense Buddy.

That was my obviously subtler sarcastic statement analogous to , "yeah I love you too", when SWTT revealed that she's come to expect insulting remarks from me (for whatever reason).

Old Post 01-15-2005 02:49 AM

nikiTa
Definitively Illumined

post #42  quote:

The problems with SP2 would not affect standalone home PC's.
It may affect computers running certain online games. (Listed at the bottom of the white paper).

SP2 may affect certain programs that they list, but only in reference to network connectivity.

So unless someone has a large home network, it would be safe to say that it would be ok to load it on a home PC....as you have already attested to, Heavens11.

I think that with all the vulnerabilities of 2K and XP, Microsoft may have overcompensated. And this has affected network connectivity in some ways with SP2. It's the fine line with network operability....you want to be able to share information.....but you also want to insure you only share it with designated targets.

Old Post 01-15-2005 03:52 AM

esskay
Rookie

post #43  quote:

SP2 works and people who are comfortable with their understanding of how software works and with their ability to modify its configuration shouldn't have much of a problem. But the bottom line is that Microsoft's desire to be present on every computer on the face of the world and an indiscriminating manner in which port-blocking is implemented would blow away network applications of those who are not so comfortable. My guess is 50% of AOL users will be quite disappointed when AIM ceases to function or they can no longer stream audio from music servers, etc.

Whether the move was necessary/justified is debatable. They are, after all, doing this in a desperate (good luck getting THEM to admit it) move to cover up the piles of security weaknesses that are introduced within their own software.

Old Post 01-15-2005 08:24 PM

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #44  quote:

I just want to say thank you to everyone for the information. I think I now can feel safe to download SP2. I do not use AOL, and the friend of my nephew is no Sean or M by any stretch and they know what they are talking about here.

Thanks to every person who answered. I value every anwser.

Old Post 01-15-2005 09:07 PM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

Local time: 05:33 AM

post #45  quote:

quote:
Sean Kelly said this in post #45 :
SP2 works and people who are comfortable with their understanding of how software works and with their ability to modify its configuration shouldn't have much of a problem. But the bottom line is that Microsoft's desire to be present on every computer on the face of the world and and indiscriminating manner in which port-blocking is implemented would blow away network applications of those who are not so comfortable. My guess is 50% of AOL users will be quite disappointed when AIM ceases to function or they can no longer stream audio from music servers, etc.

I installed SP2 as soon as I bought my computer, but it did not block any ports because I set the firewall to ask before blocking any applications. Fuscia, when you install SP2 the firewall will ask you (and say that it is desirable) to have the firewall block 'dangerous' applications for you. I suggest that you set the option to 'ask before blocking' or something similar. That way you will be saved the trouble of going in the firewall configuration and changing the settings later.

Note that I am speaking from memory, and the actual dialog presented by Windows might be slightly different.

M.

Old Post 01-15-2005 09:17 PM
Click here to Send adityamahesh a Private Message Find more posts by adityamahesh Add adityamahesh to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore adityamahesh REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #46  quote:

Thanks M. We are installing a new firewall very soon, the updated version. I have not downloaded the SP2 yet. So, now I feel much better about doing it.

Old Post 01-15-2005 11:09 PM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote
Time: 12:33 PM Post New Thread   
Pages (2): « 1 [2]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Computers & Internet > Is Service Pack 2 really that bad?
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: