Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Arts & Entertainment > Books > Good books to read
Search this Thread:
Pages (4): « 12 [3] 4 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Old Scout
Veteran

Local time: 12:08 AM

Anne Rice Books post #61  quote:

Mystic said:
quote:
Ann Rice: The Witching Hour and all the sequels to it, such as Taltos, and others .....great witch stories....this might be one that you might enjoy if you havent already read it! Definitely start with The Witching Hour...its over 1000 pages long but it is really good. It starts out in a time long ago and moves up to the present day...its about the history of a family of witches....really good!!!

Mystic ..........

Did you catch my posts (first one is #29) over in Fuscia's [Anne Rice Books] thread?

I've read some reviews of a couple of her latest books that suggest to me that she is merging the vampire storyline with the Mayfair witches storyline. Have you read any of her latest books (since 2000)?

Old Scout

Old Post 02-26-2004 09:06 PM
Click here to Send Old Scout a Private Message Find more posts by Old Scout Add Old Scout to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Old Scout REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

doyoulikepie75
Veteran

Local time: 05:08 PM

post #62  quote:

Man, that is a classic book, I love the idea of the Babble fish

Might I suggest an Author (Australian), named "Matthew Reilly"? He writes some pretty action packed books, 'Scarecrow' being his latest.
They're all gold, if you ask me.

Pardon me if he's already been mentioned.

Old Post 02-28-2004 11:10 AM
Click here to Send doyoulikepie75 a Private Message Visit doyoulikepie75's homepage! Find more posts by doyoulikepie75 Add doyoulikepie75 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore doyoulikepie75 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

twisted_wizard
Mastermind

Local time: 01:08 AM

post #63  quote:

.... you all forgot "Gone with the Wind" .... a classical not to be forgotten. I can't believe that I forgot it.

Old Post 03-01-2004 11:52 PM
Click here to Send twisted_wizard a Private Message Find more posts by twisted_wizard Add twisted_wizard to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore twisted_wizard REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Optics
Veteran

Local time: 02:08 AM

post #64  quote:

Wow no one said anything about

The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman

Volume 1 = Dragon Wing
Volume 2 = Elven Star
Volume 3 = Fire Sea
Volume 4 = Serpent Mage
Volume 5 = The Hand of Chaos
Volume 6 = Into the Labyrinth
Volume 7 = The Seventh Gate

I have only started the 4th volume today but these are great books so far. Give them a chance and I think you will like them. (I have read the first 3 books in about 3 weeks, very good books )

The Darksword Trilogy is also by these authors and I have only read one of these books but I enjoyed it very much.

Old Post 03-20-2004 03:10 AM
Click here to Send Optics a Private Message Find more posts by Optics Add Optics to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Optics REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Anomaly77
Mastermind

post #65  quote:

quote:
Anything by Dean Koontz

Agreed. My personal recommendation: False Memory

quote:
I loved Sidney Sheldon's books!!!!

Also agreed. I've read so many that I can't really remember one that just stands out better than the others.

quote:
George Owell's 1984

-I would consider this a must read

Old Post 03-20-2004 03:55 AM
Click here to Send Anomaly77 a Private Message Find more posts by Anomaly77 Add Anomaly77 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Anomaly77 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

twisted_wizard
Mastermind

post #66  quote:

Alexandra Riply's Scarlett

the continuence of Margret Mitchell's gone with the wind

I recomend all her books.... well, except "New Orleans Legacy" it's abit depressing and dull.... and completely devoid of all human feelings..... well, lacking in..... not completely devoid but you take my meaning.

Old Post 03-20-2004 11:03 PM
Click here to Send twisted_wizard a Private Message Find more posts by twisted_wizard Add twisted_wizard to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore twisted_wizard REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Spaliznad
yup

post #67  quote:

Here are some books that I have read and thouroughly enjoyed.
- The Stand by Steven King
- Swan Song by Robert McCammon (another apocolypse story)
- Band of Brothers by Steven Ambrose
- The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brian
- War and Remembrance by Herman Woulk
- The Divinci Code by Dan Brown
- 'Salem's Lot (classic Steven King horror)

And now for the series that I am reading now. It is written by Steven King (yes I am a fan) and is called The Dark Tower. I recommend this series to any fantasy reader. Don't be discouraged by the first book though. Yes it is strange and hard to push yourself through (he started it when he was 19, so the writing style is different) but the last 30 or so pages make up for it. It's hard to understand because the first book starts in the MIDDLE of the story, not at the beginning. The fourth book contains a 500 page flashback that fills in a very large gap.

It's an interesting mishmash of many things, with a very interesting quest for something that is very mysterious and all-powerful. Long series, but so far it's been great.

Old Post 04-03-2004 07:25 PM
Click here to Send Spaliznad a Private Message View Spaliznad's Journal Find more posts by Spaliznad Add Spaliznad to your buddy list Send an AIM message to Spaliznad Send a Yahoo message to Spaliznad Click Here to Ignore Spaliznad REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Optics
Veteran

post #68  quote:

Ohhh another author is Patrica Cornwall. Very good writer.

Old Post 04-12-2004 03:36 AM
Click here to Send Optics a Private Message Find more posts by Optics Add Optics to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Optics REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

matrix_fan_07
Veteran

post #69  quote:

THE AMONG THE HIDDEN BOOKS!!!!!!! very good....there are lots
among the hidden
among the betrayed
among the imposters
among the brave-just came out 2 days ago!

GREAT BOOKS

Old Post 04-17-2004 08:51 PM
Click here to Send matrix_fan_07 a Private Message Find more posts by matrix_fan_07 Add matrix_fan_07 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore matrix_fan_07 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

MistyRainWater6
Definitively Illumined

post #70  quote:

What's the series about matrix fan?

Old Post 04-18-2004 01:00 AM
Click here to Send MistyRainWater6 a Private Message Find more posts by MistyRainWater6 Add MistyRainWater6 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore MistyRainWater6 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

matrix_fan_07
Veteran

post #71  quote:

its about a place where people can only have 2 kids...
The story is about the third kid of a family, and how he has to hide from the government and stuff...(thats the among the hidden)
the rest are about his life as he grows up....they are really really really good books...

Old Post 04-19-2004 12:26 AM
Click here to Send matrix_fan_07 a Private Message Find more posts by matrix_fan_07 Add matrix_fan_07 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore matrix_fan_07 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

MistyRainWater6
Definitively Illumined

post #72  quote:

I'll have to check them out, sounds pretty good to me Who's the author?

Old Post 04-19-2004 01:52 AM
Click here to Send MistyRainWater6 a Private Message Find more posts by MistyRainWater6 Add MistyRainWater6 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore MistyRainWater6 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

matrix_fan_07
Veteran

post #73  quote:

you know, i really dont remember who the author is....my books are at my moms house...(parents are divorced) I'll have to check and get back to you on that...

Old Post 04-19-2004 02:16 AM

Gold Member
peregr!n
Mutsumi Otohime

Local time: 07:08 AM

post #74  quote:

Margaret Haddix

Old Post 04-21-2004 09:49 PM
Click here to Send peregr!n a Private Message Find more posts by peregr!n Add peregr!n to your buddy list Send an AIM message to peregr!n peregr!n's MSN ID is warrior_hobbit Click Here to Ignore peregr!n REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

MistyRainWater6
Definitively Illumined

post #75  quote:

I just loved the book "Though None Go With Me" By Jerry Jenkins

Old Post 04-23-2004 09:20 PM

Sandy_Murray
In the Now Guru

post #76  quote:

Touching the Void

I literally spent 3 hours in the bath reading it one night, very good book

Old Post 04-24-2004 04:40 PM
Click here to Send Sandy_Murray a Private Message Find more posts by Sandy_Murray Add Sandy_Murray to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Sandy_Murray REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

JPLalltheway29
Mastermind

Local time: 11:08 PM

post #77  quote:

Anything by Nicholas Sparks! That is, if you're into romance... They're amazing books, and each one of them that he's written so far have made me cry! Definately my favorite author.

Old Post 05-10-2004 07:01 AM
Click here to Send JPLalltheway29 a Private Message Find more posts by JPLalltheway29 Add JPLalltheway29 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore JPLalltheway29 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

RockChick
Rookie

Exclamation post #78  quote:

DEAD SOULS by GOGOL , 4 those who wanna be diferent (none of the people i know read it till it's end) also anything by BULGAKOV ( when they tried 2 make a movie on one of his books, in Russia, every thing went upside down... their films were lots of times ruined.... it's like someone outthere didn't want this movie 2 exist.....)

Old Post 05-30-2004 02:16 PM
Click here to Send RockChick a Private Message Find more posts by RockChick Add RockChick to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore RockChick REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

hatchjaw
Veteran

Local time: 09:08 AM

post #79  quote:

I'll second that Bulgakov recommendation, The Master and Margarita is just wonderful. Is that the one they were trying to make into a movie?

Old Post 06-04-2004 02:06 PM
Click here to Send hatchjaw a Private Message Find more posts by hatchjaw Add hatchjaw to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore hatchjaw REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

RedNoodles
Rookie

Local time: 07:08 PM

post #80  quote:

Bloodline by Sidney Sheldon...Believe me its just excellent

Old Post 06-11-2004 01:49 PM
Click here to Send RedNoodles a Private Message Find more posts by RedNoodles Add RedNoodles to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore RedNoodles REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

RockChick
Rookie

post #81  quote:

quote:
hatchjaw said this in post #77 :
I'll second that Bulgakov recommendation, The Master and Margarita is just wonderful. Is that the one they were trying to make into a movie?

Yes, that's the one.... Here's another interesting story about this movie: when they've almost finished it, it's director was driving his car in Moscow and sudenly a terrifing accident happened 'n he almost got killed. When he got out off his damaged car 'n looked up, right in front of him was the house where Bulgakov lived 'n he saw it's portret right in front of his face..... After Bulgacov's death this director was a good friend (almost the only 1) of the writer's wife, so who knows, maybe he was gelous or smth 'n that's why he tried 2 kill him.....

Old Post 06-20-2004 10:12 AM
Click here to Send RockChick a Private Message Find more posts by RockChick Add RockChick to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore RockChick REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

KerryO
Crackerjack

post #82  quote:

Hey Mystic,

I loved all the Leon Uris books you recommended but was surprised that you skipped "Exodus" about the Jews (modern day) making their way out from under English rule to sail to Israel and establish their homeland. It's fiction, but the history is accurate. Very, very compelling.

KerryO

Old Post 07-01-2004 09:47 PM
Click here to Send KerryO a Private Message Find more posts by KerryO Add KerryO to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore KerryO REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Flutterbywingz
Taking Flight

post #83  quote:

I'm so glad I found this website!

I have to recommend a book I read nearly ten years ago. It's one of those unforgettable books. I think it may be responsible for my obsession with Anthropology and the reason I study the discipline.

It's called Neanderthal, and I can't for the life of me remember the author's name. But it's a really good read. Despite its name, it is a work of fiction.

Some of my other favorite books are

- Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
- The Doors of Perception, by Aldous Huxley (Essay)
- The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath
- A Child's night Dream, by Oliver Stone (his first novel)
- Alias Grace, by Margaret Atwood
- Beautiful Losers, by Leonard Cohen A+

There was also a book in the mid '90's called the Celestine Prophecy. It's very simplistic, but it's an excellent introduction to philosophical thinking.

there are so many other great books I've read, but my mind isn't working very well at this hour. I'll post again when I think of them.

Old Post 07-06-2004 06:14 AM
Click here to Send Flutterbywingz a Private Message Find more posts by Flutterbywingz Add Flutterbywingz to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Flutterbywingz REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

MistyRainWater6
Definitively Illumined

post #84  quote:

Thanks for the recommendations...I'll be sure to look some of those up. And welcome to InReview!

Old Post 07-06-2004 06:00 PM

KerryO
Crackerjack

post #85  quote:

One of my favorites "Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCort. It's actually an autobiography. Following that was "Tis" . It's a sequel. Growing up poor in Ireland was a truly hard life. Babies die for lack of warmth and nourishing food while the parents always have their cigarettes and the father has his alcohol whenever a few pennies finds its way into their "home." A really interesting (sometimes depressing) read.

Old Post 10-06-2004 09:38 PM
Click here to Send KerryO a Private Message Find more posts by KerryO Add KerryO to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore KerryO REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

schmiggens
Outrageous

Local time: 03:08 PM

post #86  quote:

quote:
One of my favorites "Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCort.

They are making a movie of Angela's Ashes at the moment.

Old Post 10-07-2004 03:41 AM
Click here to Send schmiggens a Private Message Visit schmiggens's homepage! Find more posts by schmiggens Add schmiggens to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore schmiggens REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

KerryO
Crackerjack

post #87  quote:

Thanks for that information about Angela's Ashes, Schmiggins.
It's one I really want to see. Do you know who's in the movie?

Old Post 10-07-2004 11:06 PM

Gold Member
Pippin
INReview Maven

post #88  quote:

Hmmmm....there are so many good books that I'll not even try to say all the ones I like.

LOTR series
Harry Potter series
Hitchhiker's Guide series
My Teacher Fried My Brains series (Is it a trilogy?)
The Music of the Dolphins
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Treasure Island
Kidnapped
Princess Bride
Eragon (And I'm sure Eldest, too, but I've not started it yet)
A few select books from the Royal Diaries series: Victoria, Anastasia, Elizabeth (not to be confused with Elisabeth), Kazunomiya, Lady of Ch'iao Kuo, Eleanor, Cleapatra, and Jahanara.

The short story All Summer in a Day. It'll make you cry every time you read it, but it's so wonderfully written.

The one act play Triffles. It's superb.
The one act play The Lady Killer

Old Post 10-09-2005 06:27 PM
Click here to Send Pippin a Private Message Find more posts by Pippin Add Pippin to your buddy list Pippin's MSN ID is persephone@ados.com Click Here to Ignore Pippin REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
illuminate
Amazon Princess

post #89  quote:

Shopgirl seems pretty good thus far. Let's hope the movie doesn't screw it up.

Old Post 10-28-2005 06:45 PM
Click here to Send illuminate a Private Message Find more posts by illuminate Add illuminate to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore illuminate REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
illuminate
Amazon Princess

post #90  quote:

Okay, just finished Shopgirl. It's too quick of a read, but i liked it. now i really REALLY wanna see the movie.

Old Post 11-03-2005 12:19 AM
Click here to Send illuminate a Private Message Find more posts by illuminate Add illuminate to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore illuminate REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote
Time: 07:08 AM Post New Thread   
Pages (4): « 12 [3] 4 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Arts & Entertainment > Books > Good books to read
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: