Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Arts & Entertainment > Books > Good books to read
Search this Thread:
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 34 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

Local time: 04:01 AM

post #31  quote:

My favorites are "If Tomorrow Comes" and "Rage of Angels"

The movies made of his books were terrible, but the books are wonderful!

Old Post 11-01-2003 11:50 PM
Click here to Send mystic a Private Message Find more posts by mystic Add mystic to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore mystic REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

Local time: 02:01 AM

post #32  quote:

Yes, I've seen the movies, and they really don't hold a candle to the books. Though, that's the way it usually is, as far as I'm concerned.

Old Post 11-02-2003 01:08 AM
Click here to Send Lawless a Private Message View Lawless's Journal Visit Lawless's homepage! Find more posts by Lawless Add Lawless to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Lawless REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Sayzak
Chimerical Visionary

post #33  quote:

quote:
Originally posted by gaboman
I'd just like to suggest a couple of books

Anything by Dean Koontz (though I'm sure everyone's read atleast one)

Also Richard Laymon (a fantastic and underrated author, though his books are often a little twisted)

I'd like to re-recommend Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice, as it's a great story which plays strongly on the concepts of heaven and hell.

And also The Devil's Teardrop by Jeffrey Deaver (or any of Deaver's books... he's the man who wrote the book that the Bone Collector starring Denzel Washington was based on).

None of these are fantasy either... but I enjoyed them.

Dude, I camei nto this forum just to suggest Dean Koontz. Looks like you beat me to it. Great minds think alike.

Old Post 11-04-2003 10:15 AM
Click here to Send Sayzak a Private Message View Sayzak's Journal Find more posts by Sayzak Add Sayzak to your buddy list Send an AIM message to Sayzak Sayzak's MSN ID is blue3eleven@msn.com Click Here to Ignore Sayzak REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

mygunredsun
Rookie

Local time: 10:01 AM

post #34  quote:

Just want to reiterate whats been said about Robert Jordans Wheel of Time, its awesome.

10 books and counting. Start at the beginning or you will be lost. I found the first one a bit slow but it picks up and is well worth it.

Old Post 11-12-2003 10:26 PM
Click here to Send mygunredsun a Private Message Find more posts by mygunredsun Add mygunredsun to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore mygunredsun REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

esskay
Rookie

post #35  quote:

KJ - I read all the Shannara books - was really into it as a teen. I loved the detail into which Brooks would go on scenery as I'm a very visual person. His writing always painted a vivid picture for me. Tried out the Magic Kingdom series and after 3 or 4 attempts on the first book I finally forced myself to finish it. Hated it, never went back to Brooks again. Though I was amused to find out that he wrote the novel version of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace for George Lucas.

If you're into sci/fi fantasy at all, you have to check out Piers Anthony if you haven't already. Very light hearted, much easier read, fantastic subtle humor. Pick up any one of them, they're all great, and generally unrelated to one another.

I also got into Allan Dean Foster a bit when I learned that he wrote the novel Alien on which the movie was based. I recalled the film being awfully gripping so tried the book and it was even scarier because you don't have that realtime fulfillment in under two hours. the suspense is crazy. Another book of his that I read was called "Sentenced to Prism" which was an amusing relation of a planet whose lifeforms are silicon-based (rather than carbon-based as here on Earth), and so things which appear to be inanimate crystalline structure may really be a moving, breathing animal - and these things FEED on carbon-based matter! So it's a pretty frightful place for a humanoid to be.

Another sci/fi book, REAL short (~ 200 pages?) that I want to try and find to read again was called The Veils of Azlaroc by Fred Saberhagen (out of print now). It's the story of a space traveller who visits a popular tourist pit planet called Azlaroc which is an amusing place because the planet is subject to the passage of "veils" which fall over the planet from some source in space. Once a veil falls over the planet, anything beneath the veil is "trapped" and essentially bonded with the planet, may never leave. An interesting side effect is that the more veils that separate any given object, the more difficult that object becomes to see & hear as if it is slowly fading from existence. The story begins to take shape when the traveller accidentally oversleeps, his tourist ship leaves without him and he is stuck on the planet as the next veil descends. So he spends his time determined to discover a method to escape the veil which is interesting because of course the greatest expertise on the planet are those who have been their the longest, but of course through so many veils over time, he can barely communicate with them as they're nearly phased out of his dimensional awareness completely. The thing ends up in some really wild Space Odyssey area that was well over my head as a teen, but I'd like to go back and give it another go now.

OH, ALSO: http://www.abebooks.com/ <- outstanding! (Hard to find and out of print books. Also services UK, Germany & France.

Old Post 11-13-2003 08:22 AM
Find more posts by esskay Add esskay to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore esskay REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #36  quote:

Wow, Sean... thank's for all the book recommendations!
I went to that link and found The Veils of Azlaroc for $1.00
That's a great price...

Wonder if I can find it in an old book store here?

I liked the Magic Kingdom for Sale series, but, I couldn't get through the 4th book. I think that I had just read them all, back to back, and it was too much for me.

All those books sound great, and I'm going to look in to getting those.
Great thing we have libraries, so that I can check them out. I could end up in the poor house (not that I'm not already there) if I bought every book that I wanted.

Old Post 11-13-2003 02:22 PM
Click here to Send Lawless a Private Message View Lawless's Journal Visit Lawless's homepage! Find more posts by Lawless Add Lawless to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Lawless REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

esskay
Rookie

post #37  quote:

hehe - yeah I just bought one of thoe $1.00 copies

Old Post 11-13-2003 06:52 PM
Find more posts by esskay Add esskay to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore esskay REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #38  quote:

What did you end up paying for shipping? What was your total for the book?

Old Post 11-13-2003 07:01 PM

esskay
Rookie

post #39  quote:

$3.50 shipping, $4.50 total - still less than the original cover price I believe..

Old Post 11-13-2003 07:43 PM

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #40  quote:

Wow... that's a great deal. I think that I need to find me some more $1.00 books on there and make an order.

Old Post 11-13-2003 07:48 PM

Heatherhobbit
INReview Maven

Local time: 05:01 AM

post #41  quote:

I loved Catcher in the Rye and Bridget Jones Diary. Confessions of a Shopaholic was good too.

Old Post 12-07-2003 06:18 PM
Click here to Send Heatherhobbit a Private Message Find more posts by Heatherhobbit Add Heatherhobbit to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Heatherhobbit REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Heatherhobbit
INReview Maven

post #42  quote:

Any thing from Oprah's book club is a good choice.

Old Post 12-07-2003 06:19 PM
Click here to Send Heatherhobbit a Private Message Find more posts by Heatherhobbit Add Heatherhobbit to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Heatherhobbit REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

schmiggens
Outrageous

Local time: 06:01 PM

post #43  quote:

I have a few books from Oprah's book club, only by coincidence, I have not sought them out or anything. I have found most of them to be good reads and entertaining books.

But I wonder - is it a coincidence that all my Oprah Book Club books are about slavery or persucution of blacks, etc? I don't watch Oprah, so I don't follow the Club, but I just noticed that all my OBC Books are about blacks in some way.

Is this what Oprah does, pushes "black" books on to people?

Old Post 12-08-2003 06:14 AM
Click here to Send schmiggens a Private Message Visit schmiggens's homepage! Find more posts by schmiggens Add schmiggens to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore schmiggens REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

post #44  quote:

Basically schmiggens, yes... to be honest, they have to be fantastic books if she pushes a white author... (Dave Peltzer comes to mind...)

I don't blame her though, a lot of black fiction is quite underrated. Some of the books are just stupid though... so it goes both ways...

Old Post 12-08-2003 06:58 AM
Click here to Send gaboman a Private Message Find more posts by gaboman Add gaboman to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

post #45  quote:

...erm.....not...that...I....ever....watch....Oprah........

Old Post 12-08-2003 06:59 AM
Click here to Send gaboman a Private Message Find more posts by gaboman Add gaboman to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Heatherhobbit
INReview Maven

post #46  quote:

Oprah recommends books that mean something to her personally. Since she is black, books about blacks appeal to her more. That is why there is a coincidence.

Old Post 12-09-2003 02:43 AM

Maja88
Veteran

Local time: 11:01 AM

post #47  quote:

Sorry if anyone else mentioned it before, but I'm just reading a book by Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", and it's absolutely brilliant! It's very funny and has a very interesting story - totally not just-another-science-fiction-book. Recommended!

Old Post 01-03-2004 10:35 PM
Click here to Send Maja88 a Private Message Find more posts by Maja88 Add Maja88 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Maja88 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Heatherhobbit
INReview Maven

post #48  quote:

I like the classics.

Old Post 01-04-2004 04:51 PM

schmiggens
Outrageous

post #49  quote:

quote:
Maja88 said this in post #47 :
Sorry if anyone else mentioned it before, but I'm just reading a book by Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", and it's absolutely brilliant! It's very funny and has a very interesting story - totally not just-another-science-fiction-book. Recommended!

OMG I have not read that since high school, I loved it, I remember it being very very good, but I don't remember much about it. Just that the meaning of life was "33" and that everyone used to go around saying it and before i read the book I had no idea what they meant so I read the book. It was great.

Old Post 01-05-2004 04:41 AM
Click here to Send schmiggens a Private Message Visit schmiggens's homepage! Find more posts by schmiggens Add schmiggens to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore schmiggens REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #50  quote:

I've mentioned Harlan Coben in another thread, but his novels 'Tell No One' and 'Gone For Good' kick way too much ass. Mystery/suspense all the way. I recommend.

-HECK!

Old Post 01-06-2004 07:34 PM
Click here to Send HECK! a Private Message View HECK!'s Journal Find more posts by HECK! Add HECK! to your buddy list Send an AIM message to HECK! Reply w/Quote

esskay
Rookie

post #51  quote:

I'm currently reading "Bridge of Birds" by Barry Hughart - very colorful story-teller. He seems to specialize his writings on the orient, especially China. I enjoy reading about eastern cultures, especially through folklore, and though I'm partly jaded that Hughart is just some American white-boy who is inspired having spent some time over-seas, I think his style is quite clever, he spins a great, well-thought tale, provides a perfect amount of detail when it comes to background information pertinent to the story, draws upon a fancy vocabulary (refreshing! ), and succeeds in transporting the reader to another time and place. Though written through the eyes of a westerner, his eastern tales are still most enjoyable, and I intend to pick up the other two books in this series to see where he goes next.

Old Post 01-07-2004 12:32 AM

chodder
INRH4xx0r^

post #52  quote:

i like reading about history and war, especially WWII. i read this one book called War of The Rats and its the story of Stalingrad and the fight against the German invasion. if anybody has seen the movie Enemy at The Gates and really enjoyed it, then they should read this book. it goes in depth farther and is more detailed than the movie. i also just finished Fallen Angels which is about Vietnam. right now im reading Band of Brothers.

if anybody would like to recommend anything to me im all ears and would check it out.

Old Post 01-10-2004 08:38 PM
Click here to Send chodder a Private Message Visit chodder's homepage! Find more posts by chodder Add chodder to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore chodder REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #53  quote:

I want to recommend Sara Douglass to you. She writes scifi/fantasy books.
Sara is from Australia, and wrote her books and they became popular, and then she hit the US. So, I got the advantage of reading the Axis Trilogy after it was already complete.

The Wayfarer Redemption or Battle Axe

One young woman, Faraday, betrothed of Duke Borneheld, learns that all she has been told about her people's history is untrue. Her land lies in the grip of a millennia-old prophecy pronounced by the Forbiden Ones. Gorgrael, the ice-lord, drives south with his demonic frozen army and the ancient Forbidden threaten to once more bring her people under their tyrannical rule.
Fleeing to safety from the dangerous land, Faraday rides with Axis, legendary leader of the Axe-Wielders--and hated half-brother of Borneheld. Faraday secretly loves Axis, although it would be death to admit it. She embarks on a journey, which will change her life forever, in search of the true nature of her people.

This grand and heroic story tells the tale of one woman's struggle to learn the truth and change the hearts and minds of her people forever. She fights against oppressive forces and will not desist until everyone knows the truth of the Star Gate.

Enchanter

The stunning sequel to The Wayfarer Redemption

Axis is a true hero, in every sense of the word. On his shoulders lies the double burden of prophecy and war. Having fulfilled the first part of the prophecy by becoming the StarMan, he now must reunite the three races inhabiting his world.

It is his destiny to lead an army against his evil half-brother, to regain control of Tencendor, once the greatest land in the world.

It is his destiny to be caught between the two women he loves, one the epitome of gentility, beauty, and intelligence, the other a fierce warrior with a cunning wit.

And it is his destiny to be thwarted at every turn by the vicious Goragel, an insane monster bent on destroying all that Axis works to preserve . . .

Enchanter is the riveting sequel to Sara Douglass's spell-binding first novel The Wayfarer Redemption, and winner of the 1996 Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Novel. Sara Douglass has taken America by storm with this powerful tale of love, prophecy, battles, and revenge.

StarMan

Axis is the Starman of Prophecy and legend, destined to lead the three races of his world to unite as one people. The people of his world all know the Prophecy of the Destroyer, despite the failed attempts of the Seneschal to suppress it in the name of the god Artor the Ploughman, and it predicts and dictates Axis's path through war and destruction to the creation of Tencendor.

The Prophecy foretold that Axis would defeat his half-brother and lay claim to the land that Tencendor will be created upon. The Prophecy told of the traitor in Axis's camp -- Faradays champion, Timozel.

And the Prophecy foretold many a choice that Axis must make in order to fulfill his destiny . . . but neglected to mention the choice between the beautiful and courageous Faraday, his late half-brother's wife, and the feisty and hauntingly enchanting Azhure.

To Faraday, he had pledged his love and a place by his side as ruler of Tencendor; to Azhure, he had given his children, his time, and his devotion.

His love for both women is what the last twist of the Prophecy relies on. While Azhure explores her newfound powers as an Icarii Enchantress, and Faraday replants the ancient forests of the Mother, the evil Gorgrael is plotting Axis's downfall, invading the sky with ice and terror and the flesh-hungry Gryphons. His most daring move is to follow prophecy, to taunt Axis with the pain of his beloved.

But which beloved woman will Gorgrael choose . . . and will she be the one whose death will distract Axis from saving the world?

Old Post 01-10-2004 08:49 PM

esskay
Rookie

post #54  quote:

I wish I could appreciate Fantasy novels again. Ever since I finished the Shanara series, I've tried picking up books from other authors only to find them lacking in substance, or covering the same old, same old with different names and faces.

And authors who make up hard-to-pronounce names drive me up the wall. "I am Throglwnn-ee, leader of the High Command and heir to the Stones of Elvish Power.." - whatever

Aside from Tolkein's works, what's out there containing Elves and Magic, but which contains true depth, thought, and clever writing style?

Old Post 01-14-2004 01:15 AM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #55  quote:

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan is set in a Tolkien like world, it is pretty deep. The books are very popular.

Does have some wierd names though, like Rand Al Thor, etc. You get used to after awhile....

Old Post 01-14-2004 01:20 AM
Click here to Send Whidden a Private Message View Whidden's Journal Find more posts by Whidden Add Whidden to your buddy list Send an AIM message to Whidden Whidden's MSN ID is whidden1@cox.net Click Here to Ignore Whidden REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

schmiggens
Outrageous

post #56  quote:

Try books by Raymond E Feist for good, easy to read, but still compelling interesting stories. He has heaps of good books, start with Magician.

Old Post 01-14-2004 03:12 AM

damion118
[Why Pink?] [Ignore User]

Local time: 06:01 AM

post #57  quote:

I'll recommend a couple novels that I've read that were really good: John Wyndham's The Chrysalids; and George Orwell's Nineteen-Eighty Four (best book I've read yet).

Old Post 02-04-2004 03:02 PM
Click here to Send damion118 a Private Message Find more posts by damion118 Add damion118 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore damion118 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

twisted_wizard
Mastermind

post #58  quote:

best book I've read yet...? well, LOTR series for one (including Similarian and The Hobbit)... and the Outlander series.

Old Post 02-10-2004 04:36 AM
Click here to Send twisted_wizard a Private Message Find more posts by twisted_wizard Add twisted_wizard to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore twisted_wizard REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #59  quote:

All works by J.R.R. Tolkien are wonderful as are the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.

The Witching Hour, Lasher, Taltos by Anne Rice. Wonderful and spooky story of the Mayfair witches. Wonderful. She also wrote Servant Of The Bones that is quite good.

The Stand by Stephen King. Still one of my favorites.

Old Post 02-14-2004 01:37 AM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Sandy_Murray
In the Now Guru

Local time: 10:01 AM

post #60  quote:

quote:
schmiggens said this in post #49 :

OMG I have not read that since high school, I loved it, I remember it being very very good, but I don't remember much about it. Just that the meaning of life was "33" and that everyone used to go around saying it and before i read the book I had no idea what they meant so I read the book. It was great.

The meaning of life in Hitchhikers Guide is '42'

My top three books of all time would probably be:

1. LOTR - Tolkein
2. Rainbow Six - Tom Clancy (absolutely amazing book - should be made into a film, would thoroughly reccommend it to anyone with a similar character to TearUUp )
3. The Beach - Alex Garland (also an incredible book, the film just doesn't do it justice at all!!)

Old Post 02-26-2004 12:14 AM
Click here to Send Sandy_Murray a Private Message Find more posts by Sandy_Murray Add Sandy_Murray to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Sandy_Murray REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote
Time: 10:01 AM Post New Thread   
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 34 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Arts & Entertainment > Books > Good books to read
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: