Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Arts & Entertainment > Books > Dean Koontz Books
Search this Thread:
Pages (2): « 1 [2]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

Local time: 03:39 PM

post #31  quote:

Well, like I said, I haven't read his past 2 books (I'm reading Odd Thomas now though). The Taking came after that, and Life Expectancy is his newest. I don't know what I'll think of The Taking, but I haven't heard good things.

Old Post 01-13-2005 06:16 AM
Click here to Send gaboman a Private Message Find more posts by gaboman Add gaboman to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Spudmaster
Enthusiast

Local time: 02:39 AM

post #32  quote:

Dark Rivers of the Heart

Old Post 02-27-2005 04:40 AM
Click here to Send Spudmaster a Private Message Find more posts by Spudmaster Add Spudmaster to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Spudmaster REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

Local time: 11:39 PM

post #33  quote:

I am just starting into his books. I just finished his book "Frankenstein", and I can't wait for the next Frankenstein book to come out.

Old Post 03-04-2005 09:30 PM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

post #34  quote:

I still haven't grabbed Frankenstein yet... hopefully soon. I finished "The Taking" recently, and didn't like it that much. It did get moving at the end, but that didn't make up for the rest of the story being so tedious

I didn't comment on Odd Thomas yet... that wasn't terrible. The story itself was good, but it also leads you to suspect a big surprise by the end, and that part of it was really a let-down.

Old Post 03-15-2005 02:12 AM
Click here to Send gaboman a Private Message Find more posts by gaboman Add gaboman to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

post #35  quote:

Didn't comment on Frankenstein when I finished reading it....

Well, I really enjoyed it. At least it was a lot more interesting than the books he's written over the past year or so. The Taking and Odd Thomas were both sort of a let-down (I couldn't stand "The Taking")... Frankenstein, though, pretty interesting twist on the story, and great character development. Not to mention a basically, all-round interesting plot. So, well, is the second book out in the States yet?

Old Post 07-06-2005 07:58 AM

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

post #36  quote:

Fuscia, did you read the second Frankenstein book? I just got it and finished it earlier this week; it was pretty good. Makes you really want to grab the next book though, but I hear its still a year off.

I'm just starting Life Expectancy now. Hope its good. After this I may try and grab velocity, but we'll see.

Old Post 08-26-2005 03:57 AM

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #37  quote:

I did get it and read it. I can't wait for the next one. He made a pretty good series out of the old story didn't he?

Old Post 08-26-2005 05:01 AM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

post #38  quote:

Yup yup yup. It's great.

I don't know how these human-spider mutations are going to be stopped though. They seem pretty intense and almost unstoppable. And there probably going to be hundreds of them... and with no way of shutting them down (so it seems)

And what's that weird albino dwarf?

The last book is the last right? I think I read it was going to be a trilogy...

Old Post 08-26-2005 06:03 AM

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #39  quote:

Forgot about this thread. Sorry bro.

The mutants freak me out, but hey, maybe there is a super Raid spider killer out there.

I have not a clue what to think about the albino dwarf. It is so bizarre.

The last book in the series comes out next summer I believe.

Old Post 09-03-2005 02:15 AM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

Local time: 01:39 AM

post #40  quote:

What would you say is the absolute best Koontz book?

I see him at Walmart all the time, but I don't really like horror novels, though I read KING, but he is more a supernatural thriller novelist, with horror thrown in for spice.

But so many like Koontz, I'm ready to give one a try here soon.

Old Post 09-03-2005 03:06 AM
Click here to Send Whidden a Private Message View Whidden's Journal Find more posts by Whidden Add Whidden to your buddy list Send an AIM message to Whidden Whidden's MSN ID is whidden1@cox.net Click Here to Ignore Whidden REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

post #41  quote:

Koontz is a bit topsy-turby. Sometimes he's thriller, sometimes he's horror sometimes he's full-on sci-fi.

My favorite book of his is still the first one I read, The Bad Place. Good characters, intriguing plot, and some story points that just make your eyes bulge and yell out "good-grief!" It's not as humorous as some of his more recent stuff, but for a good trippy sci-fi/horror mix. It starts off with a guy waking in an ally (or in a motel, I forget) and not knowing who he is or what's going on, but knowing he's in danger (of a blue light that seems to be following him). So he high-tails it, and finds this private-eye husband and wife team to help him out. Telling any more than that gives away the whole coolness of the story though (though I'd guess the plot twists were discussed earlier in this thread).

There's also a pretty good one called "By The Light Of The Moon". Not too heavy, but very amusing and heartwarming. I can't remember the story too well, but it was interesting. There was a guy and girl who get injected with some sort of stuff by this whacko scientist, who tells them to run because they're in danger. Then somebody's chasing them, they try to escape and... there was teleporting in there somewhere. All I can remember is it was good.

Even if you're not that interested by his stories, he makes characters you can either relate to, or just enjoy for their exceptional senses of humour even in times of peril. They're worth reading just for that. Except in The Taking. I wouldn't suggest anyone read that bored me to tears.

Actually, the one I'm reading now, Life Expectancy, is pretty good. The characters are more than likable, though certain aspects of the story are a little predictable. It's about a guy named Jimmy Tock who, when he was born, his dying grandfather made 10 predictions, 5 of which were days in Jimmy's life that would be... terrible. So the first 5 predictions come true, and the Tock family decide to take the premunitions serious... though of course that doesn't stop them from coming true, regardless. I haven't finished yet, but I already recommend it.

Sherry, I caught the movie/TV pilot that the first Frankenstein book is based on (or is based on the first book, either way). The story's basically the same, but some of the characters really look off. Both Carson and Michael look just weird (Carson is that chick from Scream 3, and Michael's the dude who played the crazy roommate in Friends for a while). And Deucalion just looks... basically normal, with a bit of scarring. Doesn't look mysterious, as much as he looks dirty And the whole jumping back and forth through the quantum space physicamajig is missing.

You know, it would've been good as a TV series, as they?d planned, since the end of the movie basically ends at the first book's finale (and that?s all there is to it), but I?m happy enough with the books.

Old Post 09-05-2005 11:03 AM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

Local time: 01:39 AM

post #42  quote:

Well, I might switch over to Koontz, if I like the BAD PLACE.

I have read just about every King book and he is semi-retired now. course he has so many, that I re-read them and it don't get stale.

But I need to branch out. I did some Tom Clancy years back, and got into it, but he got super boring after awhile and I read them just to read something.

Yeah, I will check out the Bad Place and let you know what I thinks.

Old Post 09-05-2005 06:19 PM
Click here to Send Whidden a Private Message View Whidden's Journal Find more posts by Whidden Add Whidden to your buddy list Send an AIM message to Whidden Whidden's MSN ID is whidden1@cox.net Click Here to Ignore Whidden REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

post #43  quote:

Good, good

If you haven't grabbed the book yet, you gotta check out second hand shops. Most of the ones I went to had a lot of Koontz. They were charging by the tonne

Old Post 09-06-2005 03:19 AM

adamwalkner
Enthusiast

Local time: 07:39 AM

Dean Koontz Books post #44  quote:

So if you really want to know my thinking about Dean Koontz Books, then i will tell you that Dean Koontz is really a great Book Writer in this World. He has written a lot of Books in his Carrier. I tell you about his some of these Books, which are my favorite. I mention under here :

1. Innocence
2. Dead And Alive
3. Phantoms
4. Fear Nothing
5. From The Corner Of His Eye

That's it..............

For All The Fans of Paul : Here goes the source to watch Furious 7 Full Movie

Old Post 02-20-2015 06:17 AM
Click here to Send adamwalkner a Private Message Find more posts by adamwalkner Add adamwalkner to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore adamwalkner REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote
Time: 07:39 AM Post New Thread   
Pages (2): « 1 [2]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Arts & Entertainment > Books > Dean Koontz Books
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: