Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Medicine, Science & Technology > Earth & Life Sciences > Animal Planet > The birds!!!
Search this Thread:
Pages (2):  [1] 2 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

Local time: 12:55 AM

The birds!!! post #1  quote:

These are NOT my pics, I tried and failed to take good pics, but I don't have a telephoto lens, these are pics off the net from various sources.

I live near Sapulpa, Oklahoma on about 3 acres. Two sides are industrial park, one side residental, and the southren side goes into a vast acerage of prarie like land, and/or wooded area.

BIRDS I HAVE SEEN IN MY BACKYARD, OR FROM MY BACKYARD.

Female Cardinal.

Male Carninal.

Downy Woodpecker

Bluejay .

Eastern Bluebird .

Tufted Titmouse .

Blackcap Chickadee .

Purple Finch

Starling.

Mourning Dove .

Kildeer .

Robin

Crow

Brown Creeper

Song Sparrow.

Scissor Tailed Flycatcher

Swainsons Hawk

Cedar Waxwing.

Rufous Humming Bird

Red Bellied Woodpecker

Female American Goldfinch.

Lincoln Sparrow

Brown Headed Cowbird

Mockingbird

Red Winged Blackbird.

White Crowned Sparrow.

Brown Thrasher

Ruby Throated Hummingbird

Baltimore Oriole

Northern Flicker

BIRDS I HAVE SEEN AT WORK, OR IN OTHER TOWNS WHILE IN OKLAHOMA.

Road Runner.

Canada Goose.

Pileated Woodpecker

Old Post 12-24-2005 02:53 AM
Click here to Send Whidden a Private Message View Whidden's Journal Find more posts by Whidden Add Whidden to your buddy list Send an AIM message to Whidden Whidden's MSN ID is whidden1@cox.net Click Here to Ignore Whidden REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

Local time: 01:55 AM

post #2  quote:

Cardinals are the Virginia state bird! Even though I hardly ever see them. I mostly see geese, ducks, robins and ravens.

Old Post 12-24-2005 06:51 AM
Click here to Send Dekka00 a Private Message View Dekka00's Journal Visit Dekka00's homepage! Find more posts by Dekka00 Add Dekka00 to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

Local time: 01:55 AM

post #3  quote:

I swear those canadian geese roll down here and sell dope to the squirrels.

I'm serious.

Old Post 12-24-2005 06:52 AM
Click here to Send Dekka00 a Private Message View Dekka00's Journal Visit Dekka00's homepage! Find more posts by Dekka00 Add Dekka00 to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #4  quote:

Squirrels always act dopey. Like they are on Crystal Meth.

I got an old wheelbarrow out there, that gets water in it when it rains, and this one squirrel will bounce off this limb, hit the ranch birdhouse I made, do swirls down the pole, bounce off the ground,

jump onto the rim and spaz out running around the rim of the wheelbarrow.

Look around in all directions, like it is being hunted by lions, then dive in the wheelbarrow for a drink, pop up it's head, look around, go back in for another drink, then spazes out again, runs up the birdhouse,

booms onto the tree limb and sits and looks.

He repeats this over and over.

Hyperactive little bugger.

I'm gonna get some pics today, I don't care if they turn out all fuzzy and cant' hardly see nothing, I'm gonna go sit outside and do what I can do.

Old Post 12-24-2005 03:28 PM
Click here to Send Whidden a Private Message View Whidden's Journal Find more posts by Whidden Add Whidden to your buddy list Send an AIM message to Whidden Whidden's MSN ID is whidden1@cox.net Click Here to Ignore Whidden REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #5  quote:

quote:
Dekka00 said this in post #2 :
Cardinals are the Virginia state bird! Even though I hardly ever see them. I mostly see geese, ducks, robins and ravens.

Our state bird is a scissor tail something thimmagigger. I saw one at work one day, It flys and it's tail does this scissor action. I asked what it was and this old timer told me.

I havn't seen one in the yard yet, so I can't post it. I see all kinds of birds on the way to work, or out in the country that I havn't seen in the yard.

Mostly Hawks and buzzards, stuff like that. I seen a road runner out west of here about an hour. Talk about a neato bird!

Old Post 12-24-2005 03:32 PM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #6  quote:

well, I got some pics, but they are fuzzy and grainy and messed up.

I will post them anyhow, if for nothing else, to prove that my camera is a piece of crap when it comes to bird watching.

Attachment:
action central.jpg (88.1328 kb, 2206 views)

Old Post 12-24-2005 04:20 PM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #7  quote:

the yellow feller

Attachment:
yellow bird one.jpg (5.1240 kb, 2221 views)

Old Post 12-24-2005 04:21 PM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #8  quote:

yellow guy again with a purple finch behind him.

Attachment:
yellow bird two.jpg (44.2686 kb, 2215 views)

Old Post 12-24-2005 04:22 PM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #9  quote:

a fuzzy shot of the purple finch.

Attachment:
purple finch.jpg (43.3379 kb, 2282 views)

Old Post 12-24-2005 04:23 PM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #10  quote:

Ha!

I'm glad I went back out, the squirrel was up on the birdhouse again, I got a couple of halfway decent shots of the little bugger.

This thread is for birds, but I think it can handle a squirrel appearance.

Attachment:
squir playin.jpg (70.2051 kb, 2190 views)

Old Post 12-24-2005 04:46 PM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #11  quote:

more squirrel.

Attachment:
squir two.jpg (25.6045 kb, 2287 views)

Old Post 12-24-2005 04:47 PM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #12  quote:

Attack of the mourning doves. I guess they do eat the bird food, but like Fuscia said, they eat it on the ground.

I had to shrink the pic way way down to get it to fit, the bigger pic I got, I counted around 50 of them in the pic. So thats like a Hitchcock thing going on.

Old Post 01-14-2006 10:25 PM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

Thumbs up post #13  quote:

We bought a birdbath about two weeks ago, but I did not fill it with water, as it was still freezing at night, and would crack the bowl.

I put water in it Friday. And it paid off today. I looked out and about 20 birds were all around it, attacking it. I thought they were some common bird, since there were so many. But then I seen they was different.

I got my binocs out and saw what they were at once. The all had masks on, and yellowish bellies, burnt brown yellow. Totally awesome.

They were Cedar Waxwings. I looked them up on the net, and it said they travels in huge groups, of 40 to 50, hit the food or water, then move on. That explains why I havn't seen any yet, till today. And they were gone as soon as they came.

Glad I went out there.

Old Post 03-05-2006 10:52 PM

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

Local time: 02:55 PM

post #14  quote:

Woo hoo! Good for you Whizzle!

Now that my new house has a yard, bird feeders and bird baths are definitely on the cards... but I noticed there aren't too many birds in my area... but I'll try, regardless

Old Post 03-06-2006 03:57 AM
Click here to Send gaboman a Private Message Find more posts by gaboman Add gaboman to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #15  quote:

I spent 4 hours, making a photo list of birds that live in Thailand, then I remembered you live in Taiwan.

It's not your fault you live in Taiwan. So I bear you no ill will. At least no ill will for not living in Thailand. Ill will on other things, yes.

But I digress:

The following is a list of species endemic to Taiwan:

Taiwan Partridge
Swinhoe's Pheasant
Mikado Pheasant
Styan's Bulbul
Taiwan Whistling-thrush
Collared Bush-robin
White-whiskered Laughingthrush
Steere's Liocichla
Taiwan Barwing
White-eared Sibia
Taiwan Yuhina
Taiwan Bush-warbler
Flamecrest
Yellow Tit
Taiwan Magpie
Also, Whistling Green Pigeon, although not endemic to Taiwan is a restricted-range species.

In addition the following ten subspecies may be better treated as full species, according to Collar (2004):

Chinese Bamboo Partridge Bambusicola thoracicus sonorivox
Black-browed Barbet Megalaima oorti nuchalis
Island Thrush Turdus poliocephalus niveiceps
White-browed Shortwing Brachypteryx montana goodfellowi
Brownish-flanked Bush Warbler Cettia fortipes robustipes
White-throated Laughingthrush Garrulax albogularis ruficeps
Rusty Laughingthrush Garrulax poecilorhynchus poecilorhynchus
Hwamei Garrulax canorus taewanus
Rusty-cheeked Scimitar Babbler Pomatorhinus erythrogenys erythrocnemis
Streakbreasted Scimitar Babbler Pomatorhinus ruficollis musicus

Old Post 03-06-2006 10:55 PM

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

post #16  quote:

The birds I see the most just look like pigeons...

Didn't know Taiwan had magpies.

I don't know if any of those birds are actually pretty. I haven't seen any pretty birds out here... but maybe I just have high standards, coming from Australia (aka the land of beautiful birds).

Old Post 03-07-2006 01:29 AM
Click here to Send gaboman a Private Message Find more posts by gaboman Add gaboman to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #17  quote:

That yellow tit you have looks good.

Attachment:
yellow tit.jpg (27.2158 kb, 81 views)

Old Post 03-07-2006 11:18 PM

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

post #18  quote:

Beautiful. Never come across one myself, though

Old Post 03-08-2006 02:41 AM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #19  quote:

quote:
Whidden said this in post #7 :
the yellow feller

Finally got this figured out. It's a female GoldFinch. Did some net research, and started typing in "female" and then the bird name. The females look a lot different in some of the bird species. Or sub phylum, whatever the **** they are.

Old Post 03-25-2006 09:13 PM

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

post #20  quote:

Awe, aren't they cuties! Like little feather-balls.

Old Post 03-27-2006 06:31 AM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #21  quote:

I bet they would be good eatin.

Uh, I mean, I bet they eat a lot.

Old Post 03-27-2006 11:21 PM

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

Local time: 10:55 PM

post #22  quote:

* mumbles gotta keep an eye on Whizzle now

Old Post 03-27-2006 11:29 PM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #23  quote:

aight, saw this fellow with a reddish stripe on his head yesterday. Sandy saw him too.

It was a Lincoln Sparrow.

Also, been seeing these brownish headed black birds, looked them up and they are Brown headed Cowbirds.

Lincoln Sparrow

Brown Headed Cowbird

Old Post 04-15-2006 03:21 AM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #24  quote:

I also have this mockingbird that will not shutup. Noisy bugger.

Old Post 04-15-2006 03:28 AM

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #25  quote:

We have mockingbirds that will not shut up either.

Speaking of birds. We are all out in the backyard. NO birds in the trees. Nikki says "I can talk to birds" so we go "yeah honey" Well she does this strange call, and I am not kidding, about two dozen birds come flying into the tree and start answering her!

Old Post 04-15-2006 03:30 AM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #26  quote:

Woah.

Old Post 04-15-2006 03:34 AM

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #27  quote:

She did it on two different days. We took her to the zoo, and she did a duck call that was dead on. Freaky stuff.

Old Post 04-15-2006 03:35 AM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #28  quote:

When you all visit Oklahoma someday, she needs to do some birdcalls in the yard, see what shows up.

Old Post 04-15-2006 03:37 AM

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #29  quote:

She is just really strange for a little kid. I love her to pieces, but I'd bet she would fill your place with birds. She is also the kid that picks up two big leaves at the school each day and tries to fly by using them as feathers.

Old Post 04-15-2006 03:39 AM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #30  quote:

You need to show her the front page of this thread when she gets old enough and let her see all the pics of the birds in Oklahoma.

Old Post 04-15-2006 03:40 AM
Time: 06:55 AM Post New Thread   
Pages (2):  [1] 2 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Medicine, Science & Technology > Earth & Life Sciences > Animal Planet > The birds!!!
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: