Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Sports & Recreation > International Soccer > The Pompey Chimes
Search this Thread:
Pages (7): « First « 23 [4] 56 » Last »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

Local time: 03:42 AM

post #91  quote:

I saw Mandaric and Redknapp on Sky Sports News today and I thought Harry had come back or something but it was to clarify and issues raised by a newspaper about Harry being involved in dodgy transfer deals. I thought that was a nice thing that Mandaric did as most chairman would say "he is not our manger anymore he is on his own" but Mandaric took the time to clear Harrys name not that anyone who knows Redknapp would believe these ridiculos allegations anyway.

Did you see the Diouf spitting incident wasn't that disgusting, thats the second time I have seen him do that the first time was at a Celtic fan.

Walter Smith has got the Scotland and most people seem to be behind him but as Graeme Souness sadi whoever takes the Scotland job is putting their reputation on the line.

Old Post 11-30-2004 09:36 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #92  quote:

I saw the Milan/Harry thing as well and the reaction to it from the fans when they texted Skysports. They seem to think Harry was being presured into the conferance or something. As I said people need to learn to take things at face value.

I did see the Diouf spitting thing and I thought Arjan DeZeeuw did brilliantly not to turn around and thump him, mind you I think he was about to just after Diouf turned away but decided not to.

The thing Walter Smith has to do is to get the Scottish internationals proud to play for their country again. from the last few matches that I saw the only players that seem proud to be their and putting up a fight were Nigel Quashie and Richard Hughes, both Pompey players. That will be the hardest thing to do.

Souness has become like Charlie Nicholson, pessimistic and whining critics who ee the bad side of everthing. Just ignore him.

Old Post 12-01-2004 02:53 PM
Click here to Send White Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by White Tiger Add White Tiger to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #93  quote:

Walter Smith will get the right attitude out of the players like I said he has dealt with difficult players ate Everton, Rangers and ewhen he was assistant at Man U, apparently Smith goes nuts at those who dont give him 100% apparently he had Gazza running out of Ibrox in tears because he wasnt trying hard enough.

I am shocked that Diouf only got a 3 match ban this is the 3rd team he has done this and it is just disgusting he should have got a 5 match band and been financially hammerd it is the only way he might learnto keep his mouth shut and respect to the Pomepy player for not decking him Diuof deserved it.

Old Post 12-01-2004 03:52 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #94  quote:

Harry Redknapp has joined Southampton.

It's a total betrayal of trust to the Portsmouth fans. Harry lied when he said he wanted a rest from football and he lied when he said he wouldn't even think of joining Southampton.

I think it's more of the lying that angers portsmouth fans rather than the fact that he's joined the Scummers. If he had said that if southampton offered him a job he would have to concider it when he left the Pompey we wouldn't be half as mad. However when he left he said he would never join them and by becoming their manager he has betrayed Pompey fans trust and lost their respect in the process.

He will get a very bad reception at Fratton Park when the Scummers come down here and it will be deserved. He will be remembered as Pompeys second best manager in history but it will take a long time for most Pompey fans to forgiving him for this.

Just to add that there is no point in saying get over it because it would have the exact same reaction at any club. If Sir Alex erguson left Man Utd to join Man City, if Webger left Arsenal to join Chelsea, if David Moyes left Everton to join Liverpool, if Steve McClearan left Middlesbourgh to join Newcastle, if Martin O'Niel left Celtic to join rangers it would still be the same effect on the fans.

It's betrayal pure and simple.

Sure Alan Ball join Southampton after Pompey but he left it longer than two weeks.

It seems that there was a conspiracy going on at Pompey but it wasn't the board teying to get rid of Redknapp but rather Redknapp and Rupert Lowe trying to get Harry to go to Southampton.

Old Post 12-08-2004 03:49 PM
Click here to Send White Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by White Tiger Add White Tiger to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #95  quote:

He must know that this is a bad idea surely. I don't want to pass judgement and please don't think that I am badmouthing Portsmouth but maybe he saw graeter opportunities with the Saints but it is just one way I am lokking at it and it is a big maybe I just am trying to thibnk why leave one club for a rival so quick.
Or maybe he just missed football more than he thought and took the first job offered to him.
Get your own back at Southampton and hire Gordon Strachan

Old Post 12-08-2004 04:25 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #96  quote:

strachon said he wouldnt join us because of the rivalry between us and the scummers. they are a better club in terms of facilities but we have a better team and fans.

Old Post 12-08-2004 08:29 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #97  quote:

Kevin Bond has now gone to Southampton and Harry Redknapp says he want some players from Pompey that he left behind.

Milan Mandaric has told him that we will only sell players we don't want. Which means there is no danger of loosing Yakubu, Lua Lua, Kamara, Fuller, Berger, Stone, Quashie, O'Niel, Taylor, Unsworth, De Zeeuw, Primue, Stefanovic, Duffy, Hughes, Griffin, Ashdown, Hislop, Guatelli, and a few more.

The audacity of Harry Redknapp to say that you can't believe everything that Milan Mandaric says after he lied to the Pompey fans and Chairman.

I believe what Jon Portsmouth Football Club Westward said on sky, That Harry likes to manipulate the media to his own ends. That's why I like Zajec, he hasn't said anything through the media, everything surrounding Zajec has been said by Harry and Milan.

Old Post 12-09-2004 12:15 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #98  quote:

So who do you think will get the job? some people are saying it will be the director of football.

I cannot believe that Harry was telling the Portsmouth fans to be grateful for all he did, I am sure that most are but you lose that gratitude when you sign for rival club surely.

Old Post 12-09-2004 04:31 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #99  quote:

Zajec, the so called director of football despite he is in the technical director postiton, will not get the job. Milan wants him as a technical director not a manager.

We could get Strachon if you believe national media. So far not even the short list has been drawn up.

Yes, Harry Redknapp is being very self praising through the whole thing. We as fans apprieciate what he and his TEAM, which he tends to forget about, have done for Portsmouth. We also apprieciate what Milan Mandaric has done for us and he has done more. Harry Forgets that he had a lot of help from Kevin Bond and the much more experianced Jim Smith. He also said that he didn't make and transfer fee negotiations or wgaes negotiations but that the board did that.

So however much Harry has done the coaching staff and the board have done a lot to help. Milan Mandaric is determined to prove that there is life after Redknapp and with the survival record of Pompey for the last 16 years it probably will happen.

I know Pompey haven't been in the premiership for 16 years but they have been surviving in tough leagues for that long.

Old Post 12-11-2004 10:06 AM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #100  quote:

Pompey lost to Arsenal 1-0 last night but by no means did Arsenal out play Pompey and they were the second best team. They scored a goal against the run of play and if Yakubu had played from the begining and gotten the chances Fuller did Pompey would have been two goals up by the time Sol Campbell scored. The only difference between the two was that Arsenal scored and Portsmouth didn't.

Pires got a very hot reception from the Fratton Faithful and was jeered everytime he had the ball, deservedly so.

Gordon Strachon has turn down the Portsmouth job because he doesn't believe that it would be best and would only add to the Pompey-Scumhampton rivalry, I hope you were watching Harry Redknapp!

He did however say that it is a great job, a great club, great set up and great fans. It would be a good job for anyone who wasn't a former Scummer.

Old Post 12-20-2004 03:34 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #101  quote:

The most recent news that I have heard surroundng Pompey is that when Velimir Zajec's successor comes in the new manager will have controle over team selection, team training, and players bought.

Velimir will go to the role he was supposed to be doing untill Redknapp left us without warning. He will be working on the youth system, help Peter Storrie with the new stadium plans and improve the scouting system.

Milan Mandaric has said that he will not gamble with an inexperianced manager such as Tony Adams and he is unlikely to go for a foriegn coach. The latest name to be linked to the Pompey job is Niel Warnock.

Old Post 03-23-2005 09:28 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #102  quote:

The Bookies have made Alain Perrin the favorite to loose his job First.

If you want to save some money dont bet on this. Milan Mandaric has said that Perrin is going to be there for a long while and has the clubs support.

It is quite stupid saying that Perrin who only signed a few matches ago is going to be the first to get sacked, He hasn't even had the time sort out the team to his liking yet.

Old Post 06-14-2005 01:21 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #103  quote:

Well he certainly has got the track record to prove he could do the job with Portsmouth.
Actually I think that unless Man U win thier first 10 games Glazer might fire Ferguson and go for somebody that he wants.

Old Post 06-14-2005 08:45 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #104  quote:

Middlesbourgh have signed Yakubu now that his work permit has been given.

I am predicting Yakubu to be a flop at Bourgh because he is a confidence player and for a long time during a match he does nothing. And Middlesbourgh fans are less supportive than Pompey fans, they'll be on his back after the first few games.

Thought he is highly rated, Yakubu is far from being Portsmouths greatest striker. the list of our top ten strikers goes like this:

Name - Goals

1.Peter Harris - 194
2.Johnny Weddle - 173
3.Ron Saunders - 139
4.Duggie Ried - 129
5.Billy Haines - 119
6.Ray Hiron - 110
7.Johnny Gordon - 107
8.Jimmy Easson - 103
9.Guy Whittingham - 99
10.Albert McCann - 83

Just to give you an example of the difference between Yakubu and our striker list:
in two and a half seasons Yakubu has scored 43 goals.
in one season Guy Whitingham scored 42 goals.

Old Post 07-04-2005 09:16 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #105  quote:

Inter Milan had to resort to cheating to defeat Portsmouth in their friendly.

After Lua Lua had a goal ruled ofside and he and Mornar went off injured the referee awarded almost every desision to the diving itilaians. A penaltie was give when Adriano mad a show of falling over Sander Wertervelds hands after Sander had crabbed the ball, resulting in the penaltie that gave Inter the lead.

After that the Italians did everthing in there power to cheat Pompey out of goal scoring chances until they scored a perfectly fine goal to pull clear.

In the end the match came dwn to Pompeys squandered chances and the officials being fooled by well experianced divers in Inter Milan.

Old Post 07-31-2005 11:40 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #106  quote:

Mark Clattenburg was terrible today when we played Bolton. I wasn't expecting us to do anything against Bolton anyway but Clattenburg was extremely whistle-happy.

It seemed that whenever we began to get a rythem going Clattenburg blew his whistle for some unexistant infringement. The linesman on the near side of the screen was useless as well.

He saw offsides where there weren't any, didn't flag the two Bolton players offside before they scored (which they were if you look at the replay) and he saw Brian Priske do something wrong where no one else did.

I back Alain Perrin all the way in whatever critism he makes of the officials in that match because they were the worste I have seen all season.

However we didn't play ll that well either. Robert was useless today and didn't get into the game at all. Because of this Dario Silva was isolated for the vast majority of the game.

Perrin chose the wrong subs for the game but we still deserved at least a point. We were just unlucky, but then again Bolton are one of the hardest teams to beat in England.

All in all it has been a frustraiting night.

Old Post 09-24-2005 09:53 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #107  quote:

I don't know what Perrin sia dbaout the standard of officating or if he said anything at all but the thing is that you will get hammered if you openly criticise the refs nowadays. I think that Refs forget that thier descions can at times cost clubs money, managers jobs and club repuatations, it is time that refs were allowed give interviews after games and explain thier actions. Certainly managers should be able to express thier opinjon of the ref as long as it does not get out of hand i.e. personal insults or swearing.

It looks like Rangers will be looking for a new manager sooner rather than later. We went down 1 - 0 to league leaders Hearts today in what was another poor performance when you consider that we have lost 3 - 0 to Hibs at home, lost 2 - 0 to Aberdeen away and could only draw 1 - 1 away to Falkirk and needed extra time to beat a 1st division side something is serioulsy wrong. There are 4 clubs that are in with a shot of winning the league this season and Rangers are not one of them we are currently 7th in the league.

Sorry I am just raving mad at the defeat today.

Old Post 09-24-2005 10:24 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #108  quote:

I found out why Brian Priske was flagged for and infringement by the official, and yellow carded.

He took a throw-in from slightly further away than it should have been. Now this is no problem what so ever for me or Portsmouth and I don't imagine that Bolton would complain but the linesman wouldn't let it go and cost Pompey a final chace at a goal.

The English media have been on Perrins back all season. As far as I know he isn't under pressure from the Fans or the board but the media have been obsesing with him. I think it all comes down to the fact that the Bookies predicted Perrin to be the first manager sacked and the media want to make sure of that.

Perhaps some in the media outlet have a bet on it.

I was under the impression that Alex Mcleish (is it still him and is that spelt right?) was doing a good job on the whole. Its only early in the season and I doubt whether Hearts will continue do as well as they have been doing for the whole season. But then I don't know much about Scottish Football.

Old Post 09-25-2005 10:56 AM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #109  quote:

I believe that during the pre season FIFA told offcials to stick to the obey the rule of the game to the letter ( funnily enough they are encouraged to use commone sense and thier own judgement ) so maybe that is why the linesman was so up tight but you are right what diffrence will a few yards make either way.

As for Perrin I am living proof about the way the medis react to this guy. I honestly believed that his job was on the line which I must admit was weird when you look at high highly thought of he is in Europe but I was under the impression he was on his way out. I guess he will be at Pompey as long as he matches expectations. I don't exactly know what the fans expectations are for this season I assume it is still just survival in the top flight is that right?

As for McLeish he was doing well and he won the league last season but that was more to do with Celitc screwinh up in the last 10 mins of the game as opposed to Rangers dominance. McLeish is constantly making mistakes and has never played the same tactics more than once and has only played the same team twice. Yesterday he had an attacking midfielder in the right back role he also has had a defender and a winger in the right back role BTW we have 3 right midfielders 1 is a former Dutch internatioanl and 1 is a Scortland u21 international. McLeish also tries to be a tactical genius unfortuantly when you play real tactcians like Geoge Burley you get outplayed. I believe that wins against Porto and Celtic have saved him but many fans worry about the direction he is taking the club in November Rangers play Celtic twice both away and Bratislava and Porto also both away if Mcleish plays his tactical games in these matches we will get destroyed.

Old Post 09-25-2005 06:52 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #110  quote:

Welcome to a new series of The Pompey Chimes

The long running drama series has come into a new section now with the possible return of Harry Redknapp. From the fall out at the end of our first season to Harrys leaving, going to Scumhampton, lying to us saying degrading comments to Pompey and their chairman and no his possible return.

The soap opera goes on.

The Pompey Chimes ring again!

Old Post 12-01-2005 02:22 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #111  quote:

You could not make it up really. Serioulsy though would you want Harry back? it sounds like he might come back and it also sounds like the Saints could not get rid of him fast enough.

Old Post 12-01-2005 03:17 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #112  quote:

I dont personally want him back but he would probably do a good job for us.

However Rupert Lowe has denied us the right to talk to him so Harry may just walk out of Southampton. He doens't like to be told what to do.

Old Post 12-01-2005 10:17 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #113  quote:

Well if Harry does not walk Portsmouth have narrowed it down to three potential managers either Lawrie Snachez, Brian Kerr or back to Alex McLeish.

Old Post 12-01-2005 10:33 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #114  quote:

Well the drama has taken yet another twist, as White Tiger predcited Harry Redkanpp is off and may be on his way to Portsmouth, now whil some fans may be happy at this strictly from an neutral point of view I would be far from happy for the following reasons.
1. His results have hardly been fantastic at the Saints although granted he has better quality at Portsmouth. 2. the old football saying " you should never go back" 3. There has to be now be a question of the mans loyalty think about it he left Portsmouth at the drop of a hat to to go to your bigest rivals and now less than a season in with his new club he has left them to go back. If he had any loyalty to Portsmouth he would have stayed there ditto the Southhampton job.

Old Post 12-03-2005 07:19 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #115  quote:

Rupert Lowe has turned down Portsmouths compensation offer for Harry Redknapp and so we cannot talk to him about the job at all.

Milan is now said to be talkinf with Lawrie Sanchez, the northern Irish manager who masterminded their win over England earlier this year.

And so the drama goes on

Old Post 12-05-2005 08:26 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #116  quote:

I don't know about Sanchez for Portsmouth. I think the position may be a little to big for him I mean look at his past jobs Wimbledon reserve team manager, wycombe boss ( fired drom that job) and Northern Ireland I mean can you honeslty see a Premier League team as the next logical step in this mans life? Also will the IFA let him go because the positon Portsmouth are in and the rebuilding work that is going on for N.Ireland well he can't do both and that could be a problem.

Old Post 12-06-2005 01:33 AM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #117  quote:

This is not me just being bitter about loosing to Spurs, this is about the poor referieing quality in the premiership again.

Its either one extreme or the other with the premiership refs. They either interfer too much alowing one side to keep the momentum or they ignore almost every foul and give a poor decision that changes the game completely.

Today it was Uriah Rene giving a penalty to Tottenham for the ball hitting Gary O'Niels arm as he jumped to block it. It was a very harsh decision that, on another day would not have been given, however Rene (who has a history of bad decisions agaisnt Pompey) changed the whole outcome of the match by his interferance.

Due to that penalty we lost some belief and that allowed Tottenham to attack and get a third goal

Decisions like Renes today can not only cost teams matches but also their postitons in the leagues.

Despite the poor way to finish there were some positives to take out of the game.

Jamie Ashdown had a solid performance, and Linvoy Primus coming into the team installed a level of confidence in the defence that we have lacked.

I'm sure that in tomorrows papers it will say that Tottenham dominated us and we were only mediocre with LuaLua as the only threat, and in truth that was probably te case, however we have not played bad football all season and we didn't tonight, the only problem is that we do not score enough goals and also quite a few referieing decisions have gone against us.

Finally, Tottenhams fans were pathetic. When Pompey were one nil down against Chelsea, Man Utd and when we have been loosing any game this season we still cheered. It took one goal from king and a bad penalty decision to get the Tottenham cheering their team.

Do no suporters of the so called big team have any pride in their team?

Old Post 12-12-2005 09:49 PM

Mr. F
U.S. soccer fan

Local time: 07:42 PM

post #118  quote:

As a neutral, I was very disappointed with the penalty call. Spurs had more of the possession, but the outcome at that point was very much in the air. After the bad call it seemed to me Pompey were in a mild panic trying to get something from the game, and Spurs were confident , in control, and firing on all cylinders. Not only did it have a profound affect on the outcome of the game, it turned a game worth watching into a one-sided affair

hey, I got to use my mod powers!

Old Post 12-12-2005 11:45 PM
Click here to Send Mr. F a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. F Add Mr. F to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Mr. F REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #119  quote:

Thats exactly it Mr F.

Poor refs decisions have change many a match this season. We had one a Bolton and I have seen many people complain about poor decisions on BBC.co.uk chat section, not only on Portsmouths section.

I understand the fear of using television replays during matches but in England we have some of the best refs ever doing nothing. David O'Leary and Paul Durkin sit at home every week in forced retirement.

Why cant they be called in to train these newer refs?

The main problems of the new refs is that either they are star-struck by the big names in the big teams or they want to be the center of attention like Uriah Rennie.

Its no wonder then that Chelsea seem unbeatable with every ref they have favoring them in every match just because of the media hype.

The worst refs in my oppinion are Uriah Rennie because he likes to be the center of attention, Andy D'urso because he doesn't know the rules properly (and who I like to call D'urshole), Mark Clattenburg because he dosent know the rules properly either and Phil Dowd because he is a control freak.

In each match that we have had them in they have made a poor decision that cost us points. Uriah Rennie gave that poor penalty decision last night but also, a few seasons ago, he didn't send off Rooney for a blatent display of violance against Steve Stone when we played Everton at Fratton Park.

Andy A'urshole doesn't like Portsmouth. in every game he refs for us he does his best to favor our opponants and hinder us.

Mark Clattenburg made a few very poor decisons at Bolton and I understand that he hasn't only made the bad decisions aganst Pompey.

Phil Dowd blatently ignored a sending off offence when Chelsea played at Fratton Park a few weeks back and gave Chelsea 23 free kick that the majority were ligitimate tackles. He did basically the same with his next game as well.

Unfortunatly we can only have one of what I think are the best premiership refs at Portmouth because Rob Styles was born and raised in Portsmouth so he isn't allowed to ref one of our matches.

Dermott Galagher is the other one who I think is one of the best but he's close to forced retirement anyway.

Old Post 12-13-2005 01:21 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #120  quote:

quote:
David O'Leary

I maent Ellerey not O'Leary. my mind wanders, it does that from time to time.

Old Post 12-13-2005 08:02 PM
Time: 03:42 AM Post New Thread   
Pages (7): « First « 23 [4] 56 » Last »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Sports & Recreation > International Soccer > The Pompey Chimes
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: