Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Sports & Recreation > International Soccer > The Pompey Chimes
Search this Thread:
Pages (7): « 12 [3] 45 » Last »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

Local time: 11:41 AM

post #61  quote:

Hughes is one of the hard working midfielders that a team like Scotland needs, no offence.

I think the reason Scotland lost over the weekend was because you were missing some of your best players, Quasie to name one.

Old Post 10-12-2004 11:07 AM
Click here to Send White Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by White Tiger Add White Tiger to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #62  quote:

That maybe one of the reasons we lost but before the game Vogts said that he was happy with the squad and there could be no excuses for defeat. Also if you look at the last two games that Scotland played where Vogts had a near full squad 6 of them were playing on Saturday Dickov, Ferguson, McFadden, Gordon, Fletcher and Webster.

You are right about Scotland needing more hard working players like Huges as I feel we only have 2 in Hughes and Dickov ( who always puts in a good shift for Scotland)

Old Post 10-12-2004 09:42 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #63  quote:

In the past Scotland had hard-working defenders like Colin Hendry but now I can't name any, you might be able to but I can't.

Old Post 10-12-2004 11:05 PM
Click here to Send White Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by White Tiger Add White Tiger to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #64  quote:

The only one I can think of is Steven Pressley but he is on the wrong side of 30. However every premier league club in Scotland has at least 1 good young defender playing regulary and all of them are hard workers but it will take a long time for these guys to come through and that is the problem. I wish we had a defender like Ferdinand he has all the qualities a defender needs.

Old Post 10-12-2004 11:21 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #65  quote:

Whatever happened to the young English defender at Rangers? Micheal Ball I think his name was

Old Post 10-13-2004 09:02 AM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #66  quote:

Ball used to play for Everton and I think he was capped a couple of times for England. In my opinion he is a quality player.
The problem that Ball had is a financial one. When Rangers bought Ball they paid Everton ?6.5 million with another ?500,000 when he played a set number of games anyway if Ball plays one more game for Rangers they will have to stump up the
?500,000 problem is that Rangers cannot afford that kind of money and it looked like Rangers were destined to seeing Gregory Vignal ( Ex - France, Ex - Liverpool and by the looks of it Ex - footballer) in the left back role, however recntly a fan has donated ?10 million to imporve the playing staff so they could use that money or Everton have struck a deal with Ball that he pays them a cash settlement out of his own weekly wage. I do not think that Ball should have to pay for mistakes Rangers made but I think that it show a lot of commitment to the club when he could have said he wanted transfer listed.

Old Post 10-13-2004 03:24 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #67  quote:

I think he was rated quite highly as a defender by the English management set up

Old Post 10-13-2004 05:49 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #68  quote:

let me tell you why I think Scotland are underperforming. It is not because of the manager or the players but because of so called scottish legends. Instead of being supportive they have been over critical and caused the players to loose confidence.

Old Post 10-13-2004 11:59 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #69  quote:

The thing is that the legends are not all against Vogts for example Graeme Souness fmr Scotland captain was pretty much in support of Vogts until last night, there have been a few that have been overly critical like Craig Burley, Charlie Nicholas and Andy Gray, then you have other guys like John Collins who normally keeps out of things like this has lost confidence in Vogts because of the last 2 games

It does in IMO come down to Vogts and if you look at what has been done in the last few months it is a damning record here are a few things that have come out in the last few months:

1 He did not know that Paul Ritchie and Gary Holt were Scottish.

2 He picked Celtics Pearson who has not played all season instead of Rangers Burke who has played every game.

3. He admitted he did nor know what to do when Scotland went 2 - 0 down to Wales

4. That was out first loss to wales in over 30 years.

5. Barry Ferguson admits that he does not undertsand what Vogts is saying half the time

6. We took a 1 - 0 lead to Holland and Voggts practically played all out attack which mad the inevitable loss a lot worse than it should have been.

7. We draw with (and were outplayed) by Moldova and the Fareo Isles and struggle to beat Iceland.

8. We lose to Norway at home a team we have not lost to in almost 50 years

9. the players lack the passion that every scottish teasm on the past has had

10. He tries to make us play attractive football weh we are a more in your face kind of team.

Truth is Vigst has not taken us furtheer and he thought he could, his future is in the balance as the SFA have called an emergency meeting for nextr week, even thos who have supported him want him out, the fans booed him put of the stadium last night in short nobody has confidenmce in him and he should do the honorable thing and resign. Time to get somebody like Strachan or Smith or Levein to do the job.

Old Post 10-14-2004 11:04 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #70  quote:

I suppose the problem with Scotland is that the quality of players that they have has dropped. It doesn't help when Liverpool, who have always had Scottish players since the days of Shankley, bring in foreign managers who bring in French or Spanish players as they have done. I mean some of Scotland's most recognizable players played for liverpool.

Anyway not everything Voghts has done has been bad, he brought Quashie up to the squad, Scotland recorded a few good victories, beating Holland wasn't it. but then I'm not an expert on the subject.

The thing with most Scottish legends criticizing Scotland is that it put negative thoughts in the players heads and they don't play to there full ability. Pompey Manager Harry Redknapp said, not about Scotland but about management, that someone he knew at West Ham during his playing days was one of the best footballers he had ever seen but he got no words of encouragement from the manager. Harry has found that over the years you get the best out of players by supporting them not criticizing them, even after a bad few performances.

And Harry is quite rare as managers go, he been successful at the three clubs hes been at, Bournemouth (which is why he sends plays out on loan there), West Ham and Portsmouth. He spent at east five years at Bournemouth and over ten at West Ham (I think), and hes spent almost three year here and got us up to the premiership, won us the first division title and helped us beat Liverpool twice, Man Utd once draw against Newcastle and out play both Chelsea and the cheating Arsenal (Who wouldn't even have their unbeaten streak if Pires hadn't dived at Highbury).

So I think Harry knows what he's talking about.

Old Post 10-16-2004 08:06 AM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #71  quote:

It is true that we dont have players at the big English clubs like we used to We have got maybe three in Fletcher at Man U, McFadden at Everton and Ferguson at Blackburn and only Ferguson is a regular starter as far as I know.

The "Legends" are not criticising the players only the tactical knowledge of Vogts and it is desrved Scotland recently got beat 3 - 0 by Hungary at Hampden it wass only a friendly but a reasult like that should NEVER happen.

Bottom line is that Vogts was brought in to to takes us foreard and to get us to Germany in 2006 and that is not going to happen so he must go.

Old Post 10-16-2004 12:22 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #72  quote:

My 'favorite' pundit for Scotland Charlie Nicholas recons Gary MacAllister should be Scotland manager instead of Voghts.

He would be good for a while but as soon as Strachon wanted to get involved he would be gone.

Here are a few Scottish managers that I can think of that could do the Scotland job:

1.Obviously Gordon Strachon

2. Gary MacAllister

3. Walter Smith

2. the almost forgotten Kenny Dalglish.

Old Post 10-18-2004 11:40 AM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #73  quote:

I think McAllister does not really have as much experience in the big match atmosphere as the other managers. It has been said that Walter Smith would be the SFA's choice as he would not be looking for the same kind of money that Strachan would want, he would be a good chouice because he is a smart tactician, has good man management skill and could easily handle the pressure of Scotland mangement.

Old Post 10-18-2004 02:02 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #74  quote:

What about Dalglish?

Old Post 10-18-2004 02:03 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #75  quote:

Oh yeah Dalglish is a good manager no doubt but I think the SFA believe he would not take the job because he ruled himself out the last time, but I would not mind him as manager. The thing is a popular and as loved as Dalglish is up here he is rembered more as a great player than a great manager plus public support is pretty much a 50/50 split between Smith and Strachan. I dont care who tales charge as long as they can turn things around.

Old Post 10-18-2004 02:09 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #76  quote:

there aren't many other managers I could think of,that are scottish anyway. Living in Portsmouth does have its dissadvantages.

Lets see there is Paul Sturrock, Craig Brown(but he was the one befor eVoghts wasn't he), Sir Alex Ferguson (done it before hasn't he?), Greame Souness, and I can't think of any more, except Alex McCleish or however you spell the Rangers managers name.

Old Post 10-18-2004 02:13 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #77  quote:

Portsmouth dedicated their 1-0 win over Tottenham to Tom Prince who passed away a few hours before the match.

Tom Prince had a rare fore of Bone cancer and had fought it for over a year. He would have been sixteen today. He was a football mad, Pompey mad teenager and the whole team had grown attached to him. Harry Redknapp baught him a puppy Bulldog because he believed it best signified the fighting spirit of the teenager.

The Portsmouth players all wore black arm band as a sign of respect to the brave teen. Harry Redknapp didn't celebrate after the match but went to Tom Princes home and spent time with his parents.

Everyone at the club are saddened by Tom Princes death.

Old Post 10-19-2004 11:57 AM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #78  quote:

I wondred what the black armbands were for. He sounds like a brave kid and that was a nice thing for Harry Redknapp to do after the game.

AS for Scottish managers there is Bobby Williamson at Plymouth Argyle and Davie Moyes at Everton, Walter Smith who was No2 to Alex Ferguson at Man U last season. There are probably more that I have forgotten about.

Old Post 10-19-2004 08:53 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #79  quote:

Rio Ferdinand and Alex Ferguson have both said that if Man Utd loose to Portsmouth in the weekend then the win over Arsenal is meaningless.

I have to agree. Pompey are arguaby the best team in the country when it comes to home records and a very capable of scoring goals and causing troubles for the opposing team at Fratton.

If Man Utd loose to Portsmouth then they will fall further behind in the title race but if Portsmouth win then they are lifted towards a european place.

All in all it should be an enjoyable game and I am looking forward to it.

Old Post 10-28-2004 03:59 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #80  quote:

It should be a good game and Alex Ferguson and Rio Ferdinand are right I think that every game for Man U is now a must win they have to keep the pressure up on Arsenal who in mny opinion did not take the defeat on Sunday with good grace. Are you going to the game at the weekend?

Old Post 10-29-2004 02:39 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #81  quote:

You never know with Portsmouth. We could have a brilliant game and beat Utd again or we could have an average game and loose. I think It will be a draw. I put up my predictions in another thread I have around here somewhere.

Old Post 10-29-2004 10:40 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #82  quote:

Te biggest win for any premiership club this season took place over the weekend.

Portsmouth 2, Man Utd 0.

There are some negatives to come out of that match. Dioumansy Kamara, more commonly known on the south as Joey Kamara, could be out for 2 months after his injury but other than that all positives cam out of the match.

(By the was I have a question for...any one really. I know the answer but I'm seeing if you do.

Which famous author was one of the founding players/members of Portsmouth football club?)

Old Post 11-01-2004 12:01 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #83  quote:

The Man U game was good and Pompey definitly deserved it and that is the end of Man U in the title race I guess.

I think the author is one AC Smith better known as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ( actually I beleive he was Potrsmouths first ever goalkeeper to)

Also I know it is not Pompey connected but Berti Vogts reign of terror is over he resigned claiming that we were being to critical for getting a draw with teams like Moldova and Estonia

Old Post 11-01-2004 07:36 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #84  quote:

It's the End of an Era at Portsmouth Football club. Everyone who is a portsmouth fan are shocked and saddened with the departure of Harry Redknapp and Jim Smith.

Portsmouth second most sucessfull manager in its entire history left because he was tired and needed a break.

The national news would have you believe that Velamir Zajec was brought in against Harrys wishes and will now replace him. (Zajec is the bookies favorites). They have also tried to lead you on to believe that Zajec is a director of football. None of this is true.

Zajec was brought in after Harry agreed that he was to come in, Milan made it clear that Harry would have the final word. Zajec is NOT a director of Football but a technical director. He has nothing to do with training or team selection when there is a manager in place.

Zajec job is to begin creation of a youth development system, to help with the new stadium arangements, to improve the scouting system and coaching equipment and to show players to the manager but Zajec would not have a say in wether they were bought or not.

Zajec has only been at the club for just over a week, you cannot say that Harry left because of him because Zajec didn't have any time to be even the least bit influencial over Harrys job.

Milan Mandaric himself has said that despite Zajec being the bookies favorites for the managers job, Zajec will not be the next manager but it will be his job to find the next one.

Milan Mandaric didn't force Harry and Jim out, in fact he spent a long time trying to convince Harry and Jim to stay. Mandaric is very unhappy with how he has been blamed and the manner of how he has been treated and has admited that he has thought of quitting at times.

People have to learn to take things at face value. Harry says he want to get away from football for a while and that is probably the truth.

Harry has been made the favorite to take control of Wolves but he is also 8/1 to take control of Scotland.

He has also admitted wanting to buy Bournemouth. Whatever he chooses we all wish him luck and Harry and Jim will always be remembered fondly in Portsmouth.

Old Post 11-25-2004 11:13 AM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #85  quote:

He has already been offered a job somewhere but he refused to say at what club and if he would take the job.
I don't think he would be offered the Scotland job not because he is not a good manager but because the SFA are looking for a Scot after the Vogts disaster.
Who would like to get the Portsmouth job? personally I think that Gordon Strachan would be a good pick for them

Old Post 11-25-2004 06:08 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #86  quote:

I would love to have Strachon as Pompey boss. He is passionate and enthusiastic about any jobs and he gets the best out of players. He would do a great job at Pompey.

The National papers say that Portsmouth fan would be unhappy with Strachon or Hoddle because they used to manage Southampton. I would just be unhappy with Hoddle because I think he is a crap premiership manager. But Alan Ball has managed both Portsmouth and Southampton and nobody at Portsmouth hate him.

I have a question for you, even thought Harry isn't likely to be Scotlands next boss would you like him to be?

Old Post 11-26-2004 11:39 AM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #87  quote:

I do rate Redkanpp very highly and if we were talking about employing somebody on a pure tactical knowledge & man mangement basis then I would have no problem with him being the next national boss.
did you know that Scotland most passionate player in the last game was Quashie? I am sure you know that he comes from famous part of Scotland called Peckham, and this is the problem some players have lost the passon and pride of playing for thier country we need a Scotland boss who is Scottish and who can install that national pride back into the whole team and with all due respect to Harry I beleive that only a Scotsman can do that.
I don't know if that makes any sense sorry if it doen't.
Do you think Harry would want a job in the premiership and playing against Pompey or do you think he will end up in the Championship or even managing on the continent

Old Post 11-27-2004 12:06 AM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #88  quote:

I think Redknappwill stay in southern teams. He has only ever managed teams from the south, Bournemouth, west Ham and Pompey. Whatever he chooses is his discision and everbody at Portsmouth will wish him the best. My Dad think he is going to be the next England Manager.

I do know what your talking about with passionate players. When I think of Scotland (and this is only because I live on the south coast and have only watched football since the 1990 due to my age) I automatcally think Colin Hendry. Passionate and fearless defender who just throws himself in front of any shot.

It is in that type of mold that you want your players. Nigel Quashie is defininately becoming on of the better premiership midfielders. He isn't skillful but he is a hard working and strong midfielder.

I still think Strachon would be perfect for the Scotland Job but it seems that the SFA have their hearts set on Walter Smith.

Old Post 11-27-2004 09:19 AM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #89  quote:

I think Redknapp would be a good manager for England tohugh it seem as though Svens job is sfae for now. Maybe he might buy Bournemouth ( I think he said he wanted to do that) I think that if he owned the club he would be able to attract some good players but I thnk he would still want to be managing a club rather that sitting in a boardroom

personaly I would mind if it was Smith or Strachan the got the job but below are the reasons why I think SFA want Walter Smith

1. 9 in a row
2. European experience
3. Highly rated by Alex Ferguson
4. Has got experienec of dealing with akward players (Paul Gascoigne and Andy Goram spring to mind)

The fans I think see Strachan as a more passionate manager because he is always on the edge of the touchline pushing his players on whereas Smith is seen as a little more laid back in his approach. The one good thing about this battle for the Scotland job are that the SFA will not be getting a yes man.

Old Post 11-27-2004 11:44 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #90  quote:

Harry said he woud buy Bournemouth one day. He has played for them and managed them. I suppose he could do a Barry Fry buy the club and them appoint himself manager.

I got some god news however Milan Mandaric has completely ruled out Glen Hoddle and Robert Prosenki as the next manager. They will be looking into the manager situation after tuesdays game with Watford.

Old Post 11-29-2004 01:24 PM
Time: 11:41 AM Post New Thread   
Pages (7): « 12 [3] 45 » Last »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Sports & Recreation > International Soccer > The Pompey Chimes
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: