Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Sports & Recreation > International Soccer > The Pompey Chimes
Search this Thread:
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 34 » Last »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

Local time: 03:32 AM

post #31  quote:

Yay Pompey have more televised home games before Christmas than any other Premiership team 6. And do you know why? because of the tremendous atmosphere at Fratton Park. Sky Sports said that Fratton Park has the best atmosphere in the whole of England.

And Hurray for Milan Mandaric, Harry Redknapp and Peter Storrie. Each have blasted Yakubu Aiyegbenis Agent for trying to get a move for the player. All have said that the agent is only thinking of himself not the clubs and the player. He would probably steal most of the money anyway.

Old Post 07-07-2004 06:44 PM
Click here to Send White Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by White Tiger Add White Tiger to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #32  quote:

Former Man Utd, Southampton and Scotland striker, Joe Jordan is set to join Pompey in a coaching role.

Old Post 07-08-2004 05:46 PM
Click here to Send White Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by White Tiger Add White Tiger to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #33  quote:

Harry Redknapp is one of the favorites for the Manager Sack Race for the next season. The most sucessful Portsmouth Manager since Alan Ball in the late 80's and then all the way back to the fifties is placed in the top three places after his end of season tiff with Mandaric.

Can someon explain to me why Pompey, one of the most in-form teams at the end of last season, are placed at 2/1 to be relegated while teams that finished below them, such as Tottenham, have way better odds. Portsmouth have only go better odd than the three promoted teams.

We on the south coast are survivers. Southampton were struggling for their whole premiership carear untill Strachon came and they survived, Pompey had been only just surviving from the drop to devision two for 14 years and we finished 13th on our first premiership season.

We will survive again!

Old Post 07-18-2004 11:17 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #34  quote:

Pompeys pre-season starts today away against Tony Adams Wycombe.

Old Post 07-20-2004 01:08 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #35  quote:

Portsmouth have beaten Wycombe 2-0

Yakubu scored in the first half and Harper in the second.

Pompey new boys, David Unsworth, Andy Griffin and Jamie Ashdown all played.

Papa Diop was watching as he is not yet cleared to play for portsmouth.

Old Post 07-20-2004 10:13 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #36  quote:

Rangers have beaten Roma 4 - 1 which is not a bad result at all.

Old Post 07-21-2004 12:36 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #37  quote:

especially against Roma. Didn't they win the last Italian league

Old Post 07-21-2004 05:56 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #38  quote:

I don't know who won the last Italian league, and it was apparently a strong Roma side that played. The other good aspect of the game is that Novo and Prso hooked up very well together up front and both scored in the game.

Old Post 07-21-2004 11:03 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #39  quote:

It should be more inteesting in Scotland this year. I mean with Larson gone Celtic have lost one of the most prolific goal-scorers Scotland has ever had, in my opinion I don't know about statistics.

Ranger have a pretty good team this year round.

Old Post 07-21-2004 11:06 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #40  quote:

Yeah it should be a lot better Rangers have got Stronger but Celtic have made no signings ( partly due to the family problems that O'Neil is encountering) also Hearts have got a few new players and a state of the art training complex they won't do nay better than third but they will hopefully they might take a few points of the old firm and make it really interesting.

Old Post 07-21-2004 11:35 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #41  quote:

Anyway Pompey should have an interesting season. Harry Redknapp recons we'll be fighting relegation and Yakubu recons we can push for Europe.

Portsmouth have been given some of the worst odds to survive. Only Norwich, Crystal Palace and West Brom have worse odds. Bolton are only just above Pompry and I think the other one near that was either Man City or Southampton.

Old Post 07-21-2004 11:41 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #42  quote:

Pompey will stay up I think you will probaly be two places above the relegation spots. I do think it is to ealry to be thinking about Europe though, in fact for a club like Portsmouth Europe might be more of a curse than a blessing.

Old Post 07-21-2004 11:47 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #43  quote:

I agree, for the size of squad Pompey have we wouldn't be able to survive in both the Premiership and Europe.

But I understand why Pompey have bad odds but how many teams finish 13th in their first Premiership season. Ok so Sunderland finished in the top half of the table on their first try but it is still rare.

what I don't understand is why Tottenham and Man City, who wer, lets face it, crap last season, have better odds than Bolton to survive.

Old Post 07-21-2004 11:50 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #44  quote:

I think with Tottenham it is all about the new bossbut I don't know about Man City did they not survive by the skin of there teeth last season, I do remeber watching them in a game towards the end of the season and they just looked lost.

Old Post 07-21-2004 11:54 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #45  quote:

Yes Man City finished one place above the relegation zone last season. They did however take part in some of the most entertaining matches last year. One against Tottenham and one against Pompey.

The local radio station normally chats about nothing during the matches because nothings happening but Sam Matterface who coments on the match was completely out of breath after Man City came to Fratton. He didn't get a moment to talk to the others in the comentary team until Half Time.

However Sky and I.T.V. in their infinate wizdom thought it was better to show a boring match with Man Utd or Chelsea or Arsenal rather that Pompey vs Man City. We go 50 seconds at the end of the Premiership.

Old Post 07-22-2004 12:44 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #46  quote:

Linvoy Primus is in comtract negotiations with Portsmouth before making a decision about a move to Norwich or staying with the south-coast club.

nobody really wants him to go but he wants to get paid the same amount as De Zeeuw, Stefanovic and the other defenders, a fare request.

Old Post 07-25-2004 10:46 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #47  quote:

Pompey have continued a good Pre-season run by winning 5-1 at Plymouth despite going a goal down.

Yakubu got a hat-trick and I'm told his last goal was brilliant.

Lua Lua and O'Niel scored as well.

Old Post 07-28-2004 09:43 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #48  quote:

That is a good result, Plymouth are a good team.

Rangers beat Tottenahm 2 - 0 last night Prso got one and Novo got one as well.

Old Post 07-29-2004 12:43 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #49  quote:

Well done Rangers, I wan't Tottenham to do crap this season and go down.

Linvoy Primus is set to sign a new contract with Portsmouth after talks with Milan Mandaric. He simply asked for the same wages as De Zeeuw and Stefanovic and that was agreed. He didn't demand a pay rise, he asked.

Primus, Redknapp and Mandaric are all happy with this because none of them wanted the 30 year old english defender to leave in the first place.

Old Post 07-29-2004 03:53 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #50  quote:

When national papers come into the equasion with Portsmouth news I urge you not to believe the Daily Express.

The express hates portsmouth, the bet story they have posted about the south-coast team since they came to the premiership was when Arsenal came to Fratton in the later stages of the Premiership season and were lucky to leave with a point.

Other than that it has all been bad stories. When Man Utd lost Pompey at Fratton it was, according to the express, because Man Utd played poorly. When Liverpool lost to Pompey it was because they played poorly. When Portsmouth topped the table in the early stages of the season it was because they headn't played any top class teams and had an easy start to the premiership.

Portsmouth is never given credit where credit is due when it comes to the Express. So I urge you to ignor any story that they come up with concerning Portsmouth FC.

And contray to popular belief, Portsmouth are not interested in Aruna Dindane. Peter Storrie never spoke to the player or Anderlecht. He never sent anyone to speak with the player or his team and Harry and Milan don't want the player. It's all speculation.

Old Post 08-02-2004 11:32 AM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #51  quote:

Portsmouth have beaten Rushden and Diamonds 2-1 with goals from Ivica Mornar and Gary O'Niel. Harry Redknapp played the weaker side because our next match is agianst Panathanicos on saturday

Old Post 08-04-2004 10:52 AM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #52  quote:

Panathanikos will be a good test for Pompey it should be a pretty good game, are you going?

Rangers were outplayed by Newcastle on Saturday I still think we need a quality defensive midfielder. But I have lost a lot of respect for Alan Shearer and Bobby Robson afetr thier commenst and actions during and after the game.

Old Post 08-04-2004 11:54 AM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #53  quote:

I cannot go to the Panathanikos game unfortunatly. They are playing at Fratton but I only have ten pound and tickets for that game cost 20-25 pound.

I didn't see the Rangers/Newcastle game, I was watching England win the cricket at the time. What did Alan Shearer and Sir Bobby say?

Old Post 08-04-2004 06:44 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #54  quote:

What happened was that Alan Shearer pushed Rangers defender Boumsong (off the ball), Ricksen went over to get involved Shearer swung a punch at Ricksen ( not a good move on Ricksen of all people) and all hell broke loose. The referee eventually calmed things down but Shearer was claiming that Boumsong and Ricksen were the aggressors which annoyed the fans.

But it is Bobby Robson that really annoyed me. After the incident the Rangers fans started singing "Alan Shearer your w**ker" now despite Shearer getting stick like this every week Robson claimed that Rangers fans were " animals and thugs" also that " Shearer does not deserve that kind of treatment" He also said that he had to sub Shearer for his own safety what did he think was going to happen?

Now I am not condoning the fans that sung the song about Shearer but had he done what he had done in a real match he would have got worse than that and I want to know why Robson believes that Shearer does not deserve to booed etc when he acts like that, also I have been to a few European games with Rangers fans and to be honest we get Rowdy but we do not act like thugs or animals so if Robson does not know that he should not say it.

Old Post 08-05-2004 04:15 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #55  quote:

Well the thing about Shearer is that he is the greatest striker in Premiership history, He has scored over 100 goals for every club he has ever played for, he is the highest scoring player in Premiership history and is perhaps the best forward England has ever produced, but he is a dirty player.

Most people dont care and you probably didn't care until after Newcastle played Rangers. At least you didn't have a Robert Pires vs Portsmouth incident. That is worse than Shearer starting a brawl.

As for Sir Bobby, he's old and is allowed to what he wants about football, within reason. I mean I think that the Ron Atkinson racial abuse thing was taken out of proportion. Everyone said that Ron says those kind of things off of screen yet he was still shunned. Racial abuse is nothing like it used to be, I mean the people who were abused make fun of the words that were used to abuse them so why is it sch a big deal. Plus Ron Atkinson is from a different age where is was an everyday occurance to say things like he did.

Anyway back to Sir Bobby, it gets to a point in someones life where they can say almost anything and get away with it. Bobby is at this stage, the twilight of his carear and things like that are allowed to slip by unnoticed.

Dont hold it against them, it was after all their tornament that they wanted to win.

Old Post 08-05-2004 04:27 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #56  quote:

I dont get why players dont want to come to Portsmouth. We have an abitious Chairman, and ambitious board and an ambitious management team. We have good players, great team spirit and our fans were vote the best in the premiership last season.

Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsen Wenger, Thirrery Henry and most of the footballing world likes Portsmouth.

Teddy Sheringham, Patrick Berger, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Lomana Lua Lua, Andy Griffin and David Unsworth all joined us because they thought we are going places. Matt Taylor and Yakubu abviously believe were going places because they turned down moves to other premiership teams this summer.

So why, apart from the fact that we cant offer very high wages, dont people want to play for Portsmouth?

Old Post 08-06-2004 01:45 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #57  quote:

Portsmouth have held Panathanikos to a 0-0 draw. Quashie and Lua Lua were the most impressive players on the pitch.

Old Post 08-07-2004 07:51 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #58  quote:

Cambridge Professor, Chris Hope, has names Harry Redknapp as having the safest job in the Premiership.

In a study Professor Hope found Redknapp then Wenger then Ferguson as having the safest jobs in the Premiership.

He recons that Harry can go 20 games with out a win before Milan Mandaric considers firing him.

Harry recon that this is crap.

Old Post 08-21-2004 11:41 AM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #59  quote:

Portsmouth Midfielder Nigel Quashie has been linked with Scottish Giants Ranger.

His consistancy in both international and league games have caught the eye of the Glasgow club.

Nigel Quashie has admitted he is happy on the south coast and has hit the form of his life making him Skysports pick for Portsmouth's best player despite Bergers three brilliant goals.

Old Post 10-12-2004 09:53 AM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #60  quote:

That would be an intresting acqusitin for the Gers though it appears he would not leave Portsmouth Rangers could certainly afford him as a fan has just given the club over ?10 million to spend on players.

Also I saw Hughes playing for Scotland on Saturday and I was rather impressed quite but effective if you know what I mean.

Old Post 10-12-2004 10:32 AM
Time: 03:32 AM Post New Thread   
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 34 » Last »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Sports & Recreation > International Soccer > The Pompey Chimes
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: