Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > General Discussion > Lounge Lizards > Q & A about living in Scotland
Search this Thread:
Pages (2): « 1 [2]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

Local time: 04:26 AM

post #31  quote:

and the peat!

oh, the peat!

Old Post 10-15-2006 06:17 PM
Click here to Send Dekka00 a Private Message View Dekka00's Journal Visit Dekka00's homepage! Find more posts by Dekka00 Add Dekka00 to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

Local time: 09:26 AM

post #32  quote:

Nah I can safely say I have never eaten Peat.

Old Post 10-15-2006 11:59 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #33  quote:

Which Battle is more famous Bannockburn or Stirling-Bridge?

What is the biggest town/city of the highlands?

Have you ever seen Nessie?

Are you proud of the Scottish contribution to the expansion of the Brittish Empire? ((that is to say all the battles the Brittish forces fought to gain land around the world))

Do you like any English heroes? ((ie: Wellington or Nelson))

Old Post 02-22-2007 10:49 PM
Click here to Send White Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by White Tiger Add White Tiger to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #34  quote:

quote:
White Tiger said this in post #33 :
Which Battle is more famous Bannockburn or Stirling-Bridge?

Depends who you ask but I would say Bannockburn

What is the biggest town/city of the highlands?

Inverness, very beautifull part of the country

Have you ever seen Nessie?

Yep but I had been drinking all day that may have played a part

Are you proud of the Scottish contribution to the expansion of the Brittish Empire? ((that is to say all the battles the Brittish forces fought to gain land around the world))

Yeah I am extremly proud of what Scotland has acheived as part of Britain.

Do you like any English heroes? ((ie: Wellington or Nelson))

Yeah I like the two you mentioned and a few other I prefer Nelson to Wellington don't know why just do.
Intrestingly there is a statue to Wellington in Edinburgh

Old Post 02-22-2007 11:00 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #35  quote:

I think the statue because the Iron Duke held the Scots brigades in very high regards and actually used them in India to defeat the 40,000 to 50,000 man stong Indian war lords force, that is to say he used two Scot Brigades on either end of his forces that consisted of 4,500 men and 2,000 cavalry, at the battle of Assaye.

Question, who is the Scots greatest ever Seaman? ((The only one I know of is Lord Thomas Cochrane, who was brilliant.))

Old Post 02-22-2007 11:05 PM
Click here to Send White Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by White Tiger Add White Tiger to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #36  quote:

Well I can only think of two Cochrane and John Paul Jones who is most famous for founding the US navy, apart from that nobody else comes to mind

Old Post 02-22-2007 11:11 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #37  quote:

Who is Scotlands oldest recorded King?

What is the most famous or infamous moment of the Clan wars?

Which song do you prefer, "Flower of Scotland", "Loch Lomond" or "Scotland the Brave"?

and unusually for me ((in this thread at least)) a political one, Do you want to break Scotland away from the United Kingdom and into independance?

Old Post 02-22-2007 11:18 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #38  quote:

quote:
White Tiger said this in post #37 :
Who is Scotlands oldest recorded King?

I could be wrong but I am 90% sure it is King Duncan

What is the most famous or infamous moment of the Clan wars?

Can't really think of the most famous clan fights broke regulary I will think about and get back to you

Which song do you prefer, "Flower of Scotland", "Loch Lomond" or "Scotland the Brave"?

Scotland the brave for me it's a lot more rousing. And of course in Flower of Scotland the line "and sent him homeward tae think again" well he did and he came back and kicked the sh*t out of us

and unusually for me ((in this thread at least)) a political one, Do you want to break Scotland away from the United Kingdom and into independance?

Thats a rather difficult one because my heart says yes but my head says I should look again at the math and the facts and arguemnts for and against. got some thinking to do before March but at the moment I would say I am 60% for a split as long as we have friendlt ties much like the UK has with countries like the US

Old Post 02-22-2007 11:32 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #39  quote:

I think somebody said to me once the the first king of Scots was Kenneth MacAlpine but I could be wrong, I was just looking to confirm that.

My last question tonight is this, do you have a Clan Tartan and is so what is its colors?

Old Post 02-22-2007 11:39 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #40  quote:

It may be it's either Mcalpine or Duncan. It's a little difficult because there were so many kings when Scotland was not a unified country. It actaully could be Doanald 1st you kind of have to work out who ruled what but as Mcalpine was the first recorded king I go with him.

Yep Clan Anderson tartan see the link: http://www.scotclans.com/clans/Anderson/tartan.html

Old Post 02-22-2007 11:47 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #41  quote:

I'm a Russell of Scottish decent. What part of me is Scottish I couldn't tell you, I would guess my leg as it rebels sometimes, I think my great-grandfather or great-great-grandfather was Scottish.

I dont know the Russell Tartan but I do know that the Russell Clan came from Aberdeenshire, that the extent of my knowledge of my family history. Its one of the reasons I am jelous of the Scot, there is such a wealth of family history in Scotland.

Old Post 02-22-2007 11:52 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #42  quote:

Found some info on your clan. Good news currently no chief maybe you should make a move your part Scottish your in with a chance.

http://www.clanshop.co.uk/clannames/russell.htm

Old Post 02-23-2007 12:13 AM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #43  quote:

Thanks for the info. Always nice to know new thing about your family history, if I am related that clan that is. I know another Russell family motto is Che Sera Sera, what ever will be will be, so there must be some split somewhere in the two families. So according to that link I could also be a part of the Cumming Clan......who knows?

Old Post 02-23-2007 12:25 AM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #44  quote:

Why are Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic called the 'Old Firm'?

What is Scotlands most important Naval port?

Who is the most sucessful Scottish actor/actress?

Old Post 04-03-2007 10:09 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #45  quote:

quote:
White Tiger said this in post #44 :
Why are Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic called the 'Old Firm'?

There have been a few stories about how the name came about but the most accepted one goes back to the first derby, aprently even back then the press wanted fireworks but they were left dissapointed so much so that on reporter said " the players acted like they were firm old friends" and the name came about because of that.

What is Scotlands most important Naval port?

Rosyth probably .

Who is the most sucessful Scottish actor/actress?

There are not to many I would probably say that Sean Connery ( every Edinburgh grannies Milkman) is the most famous but as for actresses probably Deborah Kerr can't really think of anyone else.

Old Post 04-03-2007 10:28 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #46  quote:

Is any of Shakespears play true? ((That is the Scottish play.....Mabeth))

What is Scotlands relationship with France?

Waht parts of Scotland should I aviod if I ever get round to visiting?

And what parts of Scotland would you recomend me visiting?

Old Post 06-03-2007 10:49 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #47  quote:

quote:
White Tiger said this in post #46 :
Is any of Shakespears play true? ((That is the Scottish play.....Mabeth))

AS far as I know there definitley was a King Macbeth he ruled from 1040 to 1057 and is buried with the other kings and queens of Scotland on the Island of Iona. As for the other aspects well I have not seen the play fro many years so I am struggling to rememeber but I do know that Shakespear drew the historical refrences from a book ( chronicles of England, Scotland and Wales) and I know that the book has been questioned over bias to certain Family lines especially MacBeths family line.

What is Scotlands relationship with France?

Scotland has a great relationship with the French there is the Auld Alliance with France ( which the French will tell you never exsisted) but we traded with France and got on well with France you tend to find in Scotland a lot of towns are twinned with French towns and some Scottish slang words are derived from French words. Ask a Scottish person what they think of France and they talk about as if it's an old friend, I klnow that when we went to France in 98 the locals seemed to like being with and aropund us more than other nations ( or maybe I am being sentimentel) but most of us like France.

Waht parts of Scotland should I aviod if I ever get round to visiting?

Well I would avoid Castlemilk in Glasgow it probably the toughest estate in Europe but you don't get many tourist going by. Genereally though it's not a dangerous place as for boring places well Dundee basically go see Discovery and leave cos there is nothing else there.

And what parts of Scotland would you recomend me visiting?

Well I would recomend Edinburgh definitley IO know I live here and I am bias but it's one of the most unique cities in the world there is the castle, the old town, the newtown, the parliemnt, the palace, the undergound city, Greyfriars Bobby ( well the monument and the grave the dog is long dead obviously) the haunted Childrens mueseum V sad place. and thst not even half of it.
Striling is good and very historical there is the castle and the Wallace monument they view from which is breathtaking,
Loch Lomond national park is nice
and loch Ness might see a famous resident
Also Inverness is beatuiful and if you have a few days Island hopping is always fun esp Iona and the Standing stones.

Old Post 06-04-2007 12:08 AM
Time: 09:26 AM Post New Thread   
Pages (2): « 1 [2]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > General Discussion > Lounge Lizards > Q & A about living in Scotland
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: