Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Culture & Society > Food 101 > Recipes
Search this Thread:
Pages (2):  [1] 2 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
chelktty
In the Now Guru

Local time: 07:33 AM

Recipes post #1  quote:

Pork Chop Pot Roast

4 Pork Chops
3 Potatoes - chopped
1 Large Onion - chopped
3 Carrots - chopped
1 Bag & Season package for Pot Roast
1/4 cup of water

Place roasting bag into a large casserole dish, fill with vegetables. Brown chops lightly in a pan and then place on top of the vegetables in the bag. Combine season mix with 1/4 cup of water, stir and pour over the contents in the bag. Tie the bag closed & poke a few holes in the top for ventilation. Bake on 350 degrees for 50 - 70 minutes depending on desired tenderness. The longer you let it cook the more tender the meat will be. (Falling off the bone)
I usually add slices of turkey sausage in the bag for an extra kick of flavor. My sister and mother love this recipe of mine!

P.S. My sincerest apologies to any and all vegetarians who might be reading this! Please share some vegetarian recipes!

Old Post 09-25-2003 01:54 PM
Click here to Send chelktty a Private Message Find more posts by chelktty Add chelktty to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore chelktty REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

chelktty
In the Now Guru

post #2  quote:

Spinach Dip
I make a double batch of this for every party I throw or attend and it always disappears rapidly!

1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup chopped green onions
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 (1 pound) loaf round, crusty Italian bread

Directions
1 In a large mixing bowl, combine spinach, sour cream, mayonnaise, green onions, parsley, lemon juice, and salt. Mix until well blended, then refrigerate.
2 Cut a circle out of the top of the bread and scoop out the inside. Tear the inside into pieces for dipping. Spoon the dip into the center of the bread bowl and serve accompanied by the pieces of bread for dipping.

Old Post 09-25-2003 01:58 PM
Click here to Send chelktty a Private Message Find more posts by chelktty Add chelktty to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore chelktty REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Kookaburra
In the Now Guru

post #3  quote:

chelktty, can I use fresh spinach instead? Does the frozen kind make a difference to the recipe?

Also, what brand of seasoning salt do you use?

Old Post 09-28-2003 04:08 PM
Find more posts by Kookaburra Add Kookaburra to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Kookaburra REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

chelktty
In the Now Guru

post #4  quote:

Kooka - yes you can use fresh spinach, 10 oz., cut it or tear it up. I use a basic Season salt, I don't know the brand name for it, but it's called Season Salt. Hope that helps!

Old Post 09-29-2003 03:04 PM

chelktty
In the Now Guru

post #5  quote:

This website has recipes that duplicate dishes in restaurants. There's all kinds of goodies, check it out:

http://www.copykat.com/asp/recipes.asp

Old Post 09-29-2003 03:33 PM

chelktty
In the Now Guru

Olive Garden Toasted Ravioli post #6  quote:

I order this from Olive Garden EVERY time I go there:
Serving Size: 4-6
Notes:
You can make these easily at home by using a package of ravioli. You can use other types of ravioli for this dish.
Ingredients:
16 oz Package of Meat Filled Ravioli ( fresh or frozen -thaw if frozen )
2 Eggs Beaten
1/4 C Water
1 tsp. Garlic Salt
1 C. Flour
1 C. Bread Crumbs Plain
1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
Preparation:
Mix water with eggs and beat well, set aside. Mix Italian seasonings and garlic salt with the bread crumbs and set this aside.
Measure flour in bowl and set aside.
Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer or skillet to 350 degrees for deep frying.
Dip ravioli in flour then in the egg wash then in bread crumbs and carefully place in hot oil. Fry until golden, remove from oil and drain. Serve with you favorite marinara sauce.

Old Post 09-29-2003 03:36 PM

chelktty
In the Now Guru

Egg Nog Fans for the Holidays post #7  quote:

Holiday Egg Nog Pie
Ingredients:
1 - 4 3/4 ounce package vanilla pudding and pie filling mix
2 Cups dairy eggnog
1 1/4 Cups milk
1 Tbsp. light rum
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
Pastry for 1 crust, 9 inch pie, baked.
Whipped cream
Nutmeg
Preparation:
Cook mix as directed on package for pie filling, except using 2 cups eggnog and 1 1/4 cups milk. Stir in rum and nutmeg; pour into crust. Cover surface with plastic wrap; chill several hours. Garnish with whipped cream and nutmeg. Makes 8 servings.

Old Post 09-29-2003 03:45 PM

DirtyPurity
Qualified Rookie

Anna's Secret post #8  quote:

Anna's Secret

I make these for my boyfriend every anniversy. He named after the way i used to leave them for him anonmously .

Make a simple batch of sugar cookie dough
and add the follwing

Almonds
M&Ms
Reeses Pieces
and gummy bears

add red food coloring and uve got ur self some really good love cookies.

Old Post 10-06-2003 01:00 AM
Click here to Send DirtyPurity a Private Message Find more posts by DirtyPurity Add DirtyPurity to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore DirtyPurity REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Mike James
The One... and the Two

Local time: 06:33 AM

post #9  quote:

chelktty, I LOVE spinach dip. You recipe is pretty close to mine... yummy. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Mike James on 10-12-2003 at 06:53 AM |
Old Post 10-12-2003 06:42 AM
Click here to Send Mike James a Private Message View Mike James's Journal Visit Mike James's homepage! Find more posts by Mike James Add Mike James to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

KillerBeaver91
Enthusiast

Local time: 01:33 PM

post #10  quote:

I like the Toasted Ravioli recipie. I'll have to try that. Thanks for sharing.

Old Post 11-02-2003 04:08 PM
Click here to Send KillerBeaver91 a Private Message Find more posts by KillerBeaver91 Add KillerBeaver91 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore KillerBeaver91 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

chelktty
In the Now Guru

Super Simple Cavatini post #11  quote:

Rotini Noodles cooked
1 jar spagetti sauce
lean ground beef or sirloin browned & drained
shredded cheese

Combine noodles, spagetti sauce and ground beef and stir well. Pour a layer into a baking dish and top with cheese. Pour another layer and top with cheese. Repeat until all of the noodle mixture is in the baking dish and top with a generous amount of cheese. Bake in over at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes until the cheese is lightly brown.
Super easy, super simple and everyone loves it!

Old Post 11-06-2003 04:16 PM

chelktty
In the Now Guru

Stuffed Artichokes post #12  quote:

KJ, this one's for you!

Ingredients:
Whole Artichokes
Grated Parmesean Cheese
Olive Oil
Italian Bread Crumbs
Lemon Juice
Water

Cut off tops of Artichokes, about the top 1/3 of it. Place them in a large sauce pan in water about 1/2 way up the sides of the artichoke. sprinkle lemon juice into the leaves of the artichoke so that it seeps down to the "meat" of the leaves. Top leaves generously with bread crumbs and parmesean cheese. Coat the crumbs and cheese topping with olive oil. (over the entire topping). Place burner on medium-high, boiling the water for 30 - 40 minutes, or until artichokes are cooked thoroughly. (add water as needed, keep checking them to make sure they don't burn!)
Remove from pot and set on a plate to cool. Enjoy!

Old Post 11-17-2003 09:09 PM

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

Local time: 04:33 AM

post #13  quote:

OH BOY!!! Gotta love a friend who gives you a recipe for something that you love!! I'm going to make those. YUMMIE!

Old Post 11-17-2003 09:26 PM
Click here to Send Lawless a Private Message View Lawless's Journal Visit Lawless's homepage! Find more posts by Lawless Add Lawless to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Lawless REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

chelktty
In the Now Guru

Savory Stuffed Mushrooms post #14  quote:

Sorry Kris, I don't mean to gross you out!

2 packages white button mushrooms, washed and capped?save stems, chop
1 lb of bacon?chopped
1 small vidalia onion, chopped
1 pkg of fresh shredded parmesian
1 large tub of soft cream cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozarella
1/2 cup italian bread crumbs

In skillet brown bacon well, drain, add mushroom stems and onions, brown?let cool slightly, add remaining ingredients, mix well, stuff caps?cook in 350 degree oven for 20
minutes or until they are browned and bubbly!

Old Post 11-20-2003 03:50 PM

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #15  quote:

Hmmmm... I will let it slide... just this once though, okay?

Old Post 11-21-2003 01:04 AM
Click here to Send Lawless a Private Message View Lawless's Journal Visit Lawless's homepage! Find more posts by Lawless Add Lawless to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Lawless REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

schmiggens
Outrageous

Local time: 08:33 PM

post #16  quote:

Mmmmmm, I love mushrooms, that sound really good, I will try it out. Thank you.

Old Post 11-21-2003 02:40 AM
Click here to Send schmiggens a Private Message Visit schmiggens's homepage! Find more posts by schmiggens Add schmiggens to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore schmiggens REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #17  quote:

MICROWAVE PEANUT BRITTLE
1 cup sugar
1 cup nuts
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda

1) In a 1 1/2 quart sasserole dish, stir sugar and corn syrup. Heat for 5-6 minutes.
2) Stir in nuts. Heat for 4-5 minutes.
3) Add butter and vanilla and blend well. Heat for 2-3 minutes.
4) Add baking soda and stir gently until light and foamy.
5) Pour mix onto a lightly buttered cookie sheet. Let set 1 hour. Break into pieces and store in an air tight container.

My mom used to make peanut brittle the old fashioned way, and this recipe is just as good.

Old Post 11-24-2003 10:47 PM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

chelktty
In the Now Guru

Cranberry Bliss Bar post #18  quote:

Try one of these from Starbucks, OMG they're SO GOOD! I found a recipe online for it, 2 mock versions so here ya go!
Cranberry Bliss Bars

12-16 bars

50 minutes
(10 min prep, 40 min cooking)

1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups oats
2 tablespoons orange zest
2 cups white chocolate chips
1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
1 package cream cheese, softened (not the small one)
1 1/4 cups sweetened condensed milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
3. Beat butter and brown sugar until creamy.
4. Gradually beat in flour, oats, and orange peel until crumbly.
5. Stir in chocolate morsels and cranberries and stir well.
6. Set aside 2 cups of this mixture.
7. Press remaining mixture into the greased pan and bake in the
pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
9. Gradually add the sweetened condensed milk.
10. After 15 minutes remove the baking pan and pour cream cheese
mixture over the hot crust.
11. Sprinkle onto the cream cheese mixture the reserved crumb mixture.
12. Bake for another 25 minutes.
13. Remove and cool pan on a wire rack.

OR

Cranberry Bliss Bar (Starbucks)

Serves 6
16 oz Kraft Light Philly Cream Cheese Spread
12 oz Baker's Premium White Chocolate baking squares
Betty Crocker Gingerbread Cake and Cookie Mix
2T Gold Medal flour
1/4 cup hot water
Sunsweet Cranberry Fruitlings (sweetened/dried)

The taste is practically identical to Starbuck's, even if
the appearance isn't exactly the same.

1.. Note: follow the instructions for the cookie recipe
on the gingerbread mix. Mix the gingerbread mix with water.
This comes out like a dough. Spread thin in an 8" x 12"
shallow baking pan and bake at 375 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes.
2.. Chop the white chocolate baking squares, place them in a
bowl, place the bowl in hot water, and stir until melted. Fold
in the cream cheese.
3.. Chop the dried cranberry fruit into smaller pieces for
sprinkling (do not use a food processor! It turns into a
sticky lump of mush).
4.. When the gingerbread mix has cooled, spread the cheese and
chocolate mix, and sprinkle with the cranberry pieces.
Refrigerate and serve.

Old Post 11-25-2003 05:46 PM

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #19  quote:

I have GOT to have one of those! You've already e mailed me about that thing... so it's got my attention!!! Sounds really really, REALLY good!!

Old Post 11-25-2003 06:00 PM

chelktty
In the Now Guru

post #20  quote:

Oh yeah Kris, I just bought a whole package of the bars from Starbucks for Thanksgiving....I don't know if it will make it to Thursday. Or even through the ride home!

Old Post 11-25-2003 06:11 PM

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #21  quote:

That's just pure torture to tell me that!!!
I think that you should have to sacrifice them to me!
Don't eat 'em yet. Save 'em for Thursday, along with all the other goodies.

Old Post 11-25-2003 06:36 PM

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #22  quote:

Chel, that sounds like a recipe my sister makes, but she uses canned cherries, the pie ones, instead of cranberries. I will have to try yours soon.

Old Post 11-25-2003 07:32 PM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

tangybutsweet
Crackerjack

post #23  quote:

Heres a really simple and healthy recipe for you!

Just boil some Pasta, and some potatoes(peeled and diced) and throw in some brocolli in the end. Drain and add salt pepper seasonins and cheese. You can add tomato sauce too.

Kids eat em up really fast.

Old Post 12-20-2003 02:46 AM
Click here to Send tangybutsweet a Private Message Find more posts by tangybutsweet Add tangybutsweet to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore tangybutsweet REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

chelktty
In the Now Guru

Hot Spinach Dip post #24  quote:

I made this for New Year?s Eve and it was a big hit! Enjoy!
Hot Spinach Dip

2 (10oz.) packages of frozen chopped spinach
2 (8 oz.) packages of cream cheese softened
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 small onion chopped
1 (14 oz.) can artichoke hearts chopped
2 (10 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with chilies, drained
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Drain spinach and squeeze out excess moisture.

Combine spinach and all remaining ingredients, stirring well. Spoon mixture into a greased 2 ? quart baking dish. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with melba toast rounds or corn chips.

Old Post 01-15-2004 01:48 PM

adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

Local time: 05:33 AM

post #25  quote:

Seems like an all ladies thread, with just one post from Mike James.

Seriously, if and when I get the time and the energy, I am going to try some of these out. Most of them don't look like they are going to take much time. Mostly effort.

I wish I could post some Indian recipies, but I don't know much.

M.

Old Post 04-20-2004 05:55 AM
Click here to Send adityamahesh a Private Message Find more posts by adityamahesh Add adityamahesh to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore adityamahesh REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Anomaly77
Mastermind

post #26  quote:

Ok...I'm telling everyone about this...

The BEST fruit-salad ever

20oz can of chunk pineapple
Can of mandarin oranges
4 Kiwi, cut in pieces
2 Empire Apples, cut in pieces

Cut up the Kiwi and Apples. Drain the juice from the pineapple in a small cup or bowl. Drain the mandarin oranges.
Add the pineapple and oranges to the kiwi and apples.

Now...here's the secret twist...
Heat the pineapple juice and stir in one tsp of honey.
Pour this over the fruit salad, mix, and refrigerate.

The honey taste is subtle but, makes all the difference. It is awesome!

Old Post 04-21-2004 03:35 AM
Click here to Send Anomaly77 a Private Message Find more posts by Anomaly77 Add Anomaly77 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Anomaly77 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

MistyRainWater6
Definitively Illumined

post #27  quote:

I'll have to try that! Sounds delicious, thanks for the recipe Anomaly

Old Post 04-21-2004 04:55 AM
Click here to Send MistyRainWater6 a Private Message Find more posts by MistyRainWater6 Add MistyRainWater6 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore MistyRainWater6 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Anomaly77
Mastermind

post #28  quote:

quote:
MistyRainWater6 said this in post #27 :
I'll have to try that! Sounds delicious, thanks for the recipe Anomaly

You're welcome! If you try it, let me know what you think. My aunt made it for Easter. It was delicious...I have a bowl of it in my fridge right now...(that I made...not from Easter!)

Old Post 04-22-2004 04:19 AM
Click here to Send Anomaly77 a Private Message Find more posts by Anomaly77 Add Anomaly77 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Anomaly77 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

MistyRainWater6
Definitively Illumined

post #29  quote:

As a matter of fact I did try it...It WAS the best fruit salad ever I took it to a party, the bowl was licked clean by the time I went to get some more

Old Post 04-29-2004 04:36 AM
Click here to Send MistyRainWater6 a Private Message Find more posts by MistyRainWater6 Add MistyRainWater6 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore MistyRainWater6 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Flutterbywingz
Taking Flight

Tibetan Vegan Roast post #30  quote:

1 tsp Oil (virgin olive oil or vegetable)
4 oz Buckwheat
4 oz Onion, diced
8 oz Mushrooms, chopped
1/4 pt Red wine
1/4 pt vegetable Stock
4 oz Walnuts
8 oz Spinach
1 tsp Rosemary
1 tsp Sage
Salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 375F. Heat oil in a skillet & fry the buckwheat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add onions & mushrooms & cook for a few more minutes. Pour in the wine & vegetable stock & bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer for 20 minutes. Add more vegetable stock if necessary. Grind the walnuts finely. Wash & cook spinach without water for 6 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid & chop thoroughly. When buckwheat is cooked, remove pan from heat & let cool slightly. Stir in walnuts & spinach. Mix in the herbs & mix well. Season to taste. Grease a 1 LB loaf tin & press in the mixture. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes till the top is dark brown & feels firm to the touch. Let it stand for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a plate. Serve with vegetables & greens.

Old Post 01-28-2005 07:00 AM
Click here to Send Flutterbywingz a Private Message Find more posts by Flutterbywingz Add Flutterbywingz to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Flutterbywingz REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote
Time: 12:33 PM Post New Thread   
Pages (2):  [1] 2 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Culture & Society > Food 101 > Recipes
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: