Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Arts & Entertainment > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter polls > The Snape Poll-don't look unless you have read HBP
Search this Thread:
The Snape Poll-don't look unless you have read the book
He is on Voldemort's side
He was loyal to Dumbledore and followed his orders
He was on Dumbledore's side, but went back to Voldemort
he is on his own side
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]
Pages (11): « 12 [3] 45 » Last »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

Local time: 05:47 AM

post #31  quote:

Yes but a portrait doesnt have a mind of hisown, its been said about this sort of thing when Sirus died, and harry talked to nick, and he was told about the portraits

Old Post 07-20-2005 09:32 PM
Click here to Send flying panda a Private Message View flying panda's Journal Find more posts by flying panda Add flying panda to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore flying panda REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

Local time: 10:47 PM

post #32  quote:

A portrait is an image of the wizard and it definitely has a mind of it's own. Dumbledore talked regularly to the portraits in his office. And Nick never talked about portraits, he only talked about ghosts. What are you talking about?

M.

Old Post 07-20-2005 11:25 PM
Click here to Send adityamahesh a Private Message Find more posts by adityamahesh Add adityamahesh to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore adityamahesh REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #33  quote:

i believe that it has been saids that portraits only say what the person would have said ... ok, i guess your right, i cant think what i was talkign about, but i dont think its the accual person talking

Old Post 07-20-2005 11:27 PM
Click here to Send flying panda a Private Message View flying panda's Journal Find more posts by flying panda Add flying panda to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore flying panda REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

Local time: 09:47 PM

post #34  quote:

The portrait would have the personality of the person though. I think it would have some of their memories as well. Kind of like an echo.

Old Post 07-21-2005 03:37 AM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

moses
Rookie

Local time: 11:47 PM

post #35  quote:

So any knowledge D might have had could possibly be passed on through the portrait - just no new ideas?

Old Post 07-21-2005 03:40 AM
Click here to Send moses a Private Message Find more posts by moses Add moses to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore moses REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #36  quote:

We don't really know yet. Phineus Nigellus seems to know all about his time at Hogwarts. He knows about the family line and such, but we don't know the full limits of the portraits. They did talk with Dumbledore and were sworn to serve the headmaster. I for one think that the portrait Dumbledore will be able to pass on valueable tips to Harry. One wonders where else there will be portraits of such a famous wizard.

AND welcome to the forum Moses.

Old Post 07-21-2005 03:42 AM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

Local time: 01:47 PM

post #37  quote:

I've got a feeling the portrait will have the memory of the wizard up until the point the portrait was made... or the last time the portraitee enfused themselves onto the portrait.

It's just a theory, and is probably hogswash, but we'll see

Old Post 07-21-2005 03:44 AM
Click here to Send gaboman a Private Message Find more posts by gaboman Add gaboman to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #38  quote:

I like the theory. I do wonder if a portrait will show up of him in Grimmauld Place. The Order could use some direction.

Old Post 07-21-2005 03:46 AM

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

post #39  quote:

I'm sure Harry himself, when he moves into Grimmauld Place, will be sure to put a portrait up.

I hope he can get rid of Mrs Black though *chills*

Old Post 07-21-2005 03:49 AM
Click here to Send gaboman a Private Message Find more posts by gaboman Add gaboman to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #40  quote:

I think they are stuck with her. I wonder if we will see Grimmauld place in the next book.

Old Post 07-21-2005 03:52 AM

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

post #41  quote:

I say remove the wall her portrait is on... I'm sure Harry could make that place home when this is all over

I'm thinking Grimmauld Place will be the first place Harry goes when he turns 17. He'll be of age, the place is safe, and he can plan his "quest" from there.

Old Post 07-21-2005 03:57 AM

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #42  quote:

but he couldn't bear to think of the place. That is the place where Sirius was so unhappy. I think it has to be the place to go. Like it or not, he will need the order to help him. They can gather information and run interference with the death eaters.

Old Post 07-21-2005 03:58 AM

daemon17
Elizabeth Formositas
Montclaire House

Local time: 11:47 PM

post #43  quote:

Agreed, also even if there isn't a portait of Dumbledore at the order, we do know for a fact that there is one of Phineus Nigellus. We also know that portraits can communicate with each other, and seeing as Dumbledore and Phineus are in the same office, it shouldn't be too hard to convey information. We have yet to see how much help Phineus will bring, JKR seemed to specifically bring him into conversations when Harry was in Dumbledore's office. He stood out a lot more than the other portraits, so I think he will have some role to play in the 7th book.

Old Post 07-21-2005 05:16 AM
Click here to Send daemon17 a Private Message Visit daemon17's homepage! Find more posts by daemon17 Add daemon17 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore daemon17 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

V. S. Black
Enthusiast

Local time: 12:47 AM

post #44  quote:

quote:
daemon17 said this in post #43 :
We have yet to see how much help Phineus will bring, JKR seemed to specifically bring him into conversations when Harry was in Dumbledore's office. He stood out a lot more than the other portraits, so I think he will have some role to play in the 7th book.

I completely agree! What a great observation. But then with a second painting at number 12, Dumbledore would be able to attend Order meetings still, so who knows.

This makes me very curious about what other roles Phineus might play in the final book.

Old Post 07-21-2005 05:13 PM
Click here to Send V. S. Black a Private Message Find more posts by V. S. Black Add V. S. Black to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore V. S. Black REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #45  quote:

Im sure you will all agree that more than one painting of Dumbledore was made during his life ... like in the ministry maybe

Or the chocolate frogs playing cards ... he can go through all thouse ... maybe one of the deatheaters have them

Old Post 07-21-2005 05:35 PM
Time: 05:47 AM Post New Thread   
Pages (11): « 12 [3] 45 » Last »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Arts & Entertainment > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter polls > The Snape Poll-don't look unless you have read HBP
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: