Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Philosophy & Religion > Elton John hates religion
Search this Thread:
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
CRAYComputer
another nikiTa acct

Local time: 10:11 AM

post #31  quote:

H@TS was right when he said Christianity has more people than Muslims

According to the book "understanding my muslim people," Christianity has more people overall, but Islam is growing at a faster rate than Christianity.

Old Post 11-15-2006 12:44 AM
Find more posts by CRAYComputer Add CRAYComputer to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore CRAYComputer REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
illuminate
Amazon Princess

Local time: 02:11 AM

post #32  quote:

Man, you guys are getting deep into it... nice.

I just meant... plain and simple... if organized religion (hoever you define that) doesn't work for Mr. Elton I'm too good for everything John, then he should just not practice it. For whatever reasons it doesn't work for him. Doesn't mean he should use his celebrity status to say it should be banned b/c it speaks negatively of homosexuals. I'm religious, my organized religion works for ME, and yet, i have no problem with homosexuals. So, I just proved EJ wrong.

Old Post 11-15-2006 12:48 AM
Click here to Send illuminate a Private Message Find more posts by illuminate Add illuminate to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore illuminate REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #33  quote:

I'm part of organized religion, and I have no problem with homosexuals. I think that Elton is entitled to his opinion, but I see no reason to call for a ban when not everyone is bad.

Old Post 11-15-2006 02:58 AM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

Local time: 04:11 AM

post #34  quote:

I appreciate the fact that there are a few people in here that can think for themselves and can think outside the box of their organized religion....

BUT...lets face it folks...you are far and few between! You are kidding yourselves if you think that you are the majority in that thought...you are not.

Religion has ruled so many people's minds and it is now entering even further into our politics.

Its time to stop. Believe what you want...but stop throwing the crap on others, because some of us personally couldnt give a rats a$$.

Im still waiting for someone to answer my question. Is it EJ that said it that pisses you off, or would you be pissed if a straight person said it first?? I mean its not like we didnt already know this info...but I find it funny that because he stated it out loud that people are having a cow about it.

Old Post 11-15-2006 03:47 AM
Click here to Send mystic a Private Message Find more posts by mystic Add mystic to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore mystic REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Dreamzwalker
Agent

Re: Elton John hates religion post #35  quote:

quote:
illuminate said this in post #1 :
Elton John: Religion Encourages Hatred
Nov 11, 7:00 PM EST

"I think religion has always tried to turn hatred toward gay people," John said in the Observer newspaper's Music Monthly Magazine. "Religion promotes the hatred and spite against gays."
;

you know what ms. John, your a moron.

Christian beliefs does not say to hate the person, but the action. The problem is, people always place the 2 as the same. Hating a person for what they do should not be the case for any person.
Sadly, people follow the leader of the church blindly - and sometimes the leader is more off then those that follow him. At times its like riding a bandwagon - which is why i just stick to myself with my beliefs

Old Post 11-15-2006 05:39 AM
Click here to Send Dreamzwalker a Private Message View Dreamzwalker's Journal Find more posts by Dreamzwalker Add Dreamzwalker to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Dreamzwalker REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Elton John hates religion post #36  quote:

[QUOTE]mystic said this in post #20 :
[B]

Anyhow if you dont know if they have it in their writing then how can you say they are accepting...

Unless you have read all the writings how can you say they are definitly against gays?

Obviously, you feel strong that it was wrong for him to say that organized religion sucks, and you do not agree with that.

Whoa now who is trying put words in peoples mouth I never said that I though he was right or wrong. If you must know I think he was spot on relgion is divisve, destructive and dangerous .

Old Post 11-15-2006 04:38 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
illuminate
Amazon Princess

post #37  quote:

quote:
mystic said this in post #34 :

Im still waiting for someone to answer my question. Is it EJ that said it that pisses you off, or would you be pissed if a straight person said it first?? I mean its not like we didnt already know this info...but I find it funny that because he stated it out loud that people are having a cow about it.

No it's not the fact that EJ said it that pissed ME off. Straight, gay, black, white, purple, red WHO CARES. If something doesn't work for ONE PERSON, there's no reason they should go around speaking for everyone else. I'm not annoyed that he said anything outloud. I'm annoyed that he bulked everyone together. He's free to have his own opinion and he's free to openly say that organized religion doesn't work for him. and stop at that. This whole "should be banned" thing is stupid and arrogant.

Old Post 11-15-2006 06:33 PM
Click here to Send illuminate a Private Message Find more posts by illuminate Add illuminate to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore illuminate REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #38  quote:

Yeah, if we did away with religion Christmas sure would suck.

-HECK!

Old Post 11-15-2006 06:51 PM
Click here to Send HECK! a Private Message View HECK!'s Journal Find more posts by HECK! Add HECK! to your buddy list Send an AIM message to HECK! Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
illuminate
Amazon Princess

post #39  quote:

oh please, like christmas has ANYTHING to do with religion anymore these days. it's all about the latest video game machine or computer product or who gets what or how expensive your gift is. it's lame.

I still liked how celebrated christmas at home back in the days...

Old Post 11-15-2006 06:53 PM

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #40  quote:

quote:
oneofpeace said this in post #30 :

Well then we need to get rid of politics as well because that is responsible for just as many wars as religion if not more.

You know the old adage, don?t talk politics or religion.

The politics are almost always motivated by religion. 99%.

quote:
As for those people who are gay, I don?t have anything against them and yes they are growing. What I don?t approve of is them telling me I?m homophobic because I don?t agree with their way of life.

I hope that's just a small segment of the gay community. Most gays I've encountered could care less if they get approval or not.

quote:
Let?s face it, people have strange appetites for strange things outside the normal and as long as it?s not illegal, all?s well that ends well. There are websites that are dedicated to men who want to sleep with under aged boys and believe whole heartedly that they are right. Also there are men who?d rather sleep with animals than with humans.

Damn dude, I hope you're not lumping in homosexual sex with child molestation and beastiality.

quote:
I?m just making a point here that because people want to do it doesn?t make it right, they just have a right to do it, or more so the privilege. The main purpose of sex is to procreate, however people will do almost anything to appease their desires and will justify it in the process.

The main purpose of sex is not simply procreation for everyone. Not once in my sexual history has the purpose been procreation. Not even close. I don't need justification. That's more heavy handed conservative dogma that plays in the bible belt but isn't gospel for most people. Sometimes, it's just expressing love for another person. Other times it's a drunken mistake. Either way, trying to liken a natural biological process to some divine act is like saying I should have a funeral for my turds...

quote:
So if they want to live that lifestyle let them be, more power to them. But if they want me to recognize it with litigation then I have to defer the matter to that of wisdom.

You don't have to like it, it might be wise for you, but I don't know if it's wisdom.

-HECK!

Old Post 11-15-2006 06:59 PM
Click here to Send HECK! a Private Message View HECK!'s Journal Find more posts by HECK! Add HECK! to your buddy list Send an AIM message to HECK! Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Elton John hates religion post #41  quote:

quote:
lodgebo said this in post #36 :

Unless you have read all the writings how can you say they are definitly against gays?

I have read enough to know that they are not fully accepting. (At least in some of the writings)

Whoa now who is trying put words in peoples mouth I never said that I though he was right or wrong. If you must know I think he was spot on relgion is divisve, destructive and dangerous .

I figured since you were knocking the guy pretty heavily that you didnt agree.

Old Post 11-15-2006 07:13 PM
Click here to Send mystic a Private Message Find more posts by mystic Add mystic to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore mystic REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Viper1
Veteran

post #42  quote:

quote:
HECK! said this in post #40 :
... trying to liken a natural biological process to some divine act is like saying I should have a funeral for my turds...

-HECK!

Gee, I thought most folks performed Gregorian grunts before sending their turds on to a watery grave.

Old Post 11-15-2006 07:17 PM
Click here to Send Viper1 a Private Message Find more posts by Viper1 Add Viper1 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Viper1 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

post #43  quote:

quote:
illuminate said this in post #37 :

No it's not the fact that EJ said it that pissed ME off. Straight, gay, black, white, purple, red WHO CARES. If something doesn't work for ONE PERSON, there's no reason they should go around speaking for everyone else. I'm not annoyed that he said anything outloud. I'm annoyed that he bulked everyone together. He's free to have his own opinion and he's free to openly say that organized religion doesn't work for him. and stop at that. This whole "should be banned" thing is stupid and arrogant.

People always speak for other people....if they didnt then gay people wouldnt have to worry about religious nut cases.

So, when religious people speak out against gays, do you find that just as horrible?

Its the same thing, is it not? Are they not speaking for others as well??

Old Post 11-15-2006 07:22 PM

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

post #44  quote:

quote:
HECK! said this in post #38 :
Yeah, if we did away with religion Christmas sure would suck.

-HECK!

The irony is that Christmas really isnt a true celebration of the birth of Jesus. Jesus was not born until May/June.

Christmas was made to compete with the Pagans and their festive holiday in December.

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas, but the reality is that the holiday was originally made to compete with another religion. Typical, I guess.

Old Post 11-15-2006 07:30 PM

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #45  quote:

quote:
illuminate said this in post #37 :

Well, why is it okay then for certain people to speak up and say that gays can't have certain rights? Yet, it's not okay for a gay person to make a bold statement as such?

I don't like organized religion... and it's not just because of the who "Gay thing." It's because they are controlling, manipulative, people. I don't like the whole... "This is THE truth, and if you don't believe it, you're wrong... and you're going to burn in hell."

To each their own though. As long as you (meaning anyone) don't tell me how to live my life... I won't tell you how to live yours.

Old Post 11-15-2006 07:50 PM
Click here to Send Lawless a Private Message View Lawless's Journal Visit Lawless's homepage! Find more posts by Lawless Add Lawless to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Lawless REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #46  quote:

quote:
HECK! said this in post #40 :

Damn dude, I hope you're not lumping in homosexual sex with child molestation and beastiality.

I'm with you, Heck! Really pisses me off when someone says something like that. Well, gay people are wrong. You know, next they will want to marry a duck. Or, maybe start loving a little child.

Old Post 11-15-2006 07:53 PM
Click here to Send Lawless a Private Message View Lawless's Journal Visit Lawless's homepage! Find more posts by Lawless Add Lawless to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Lawless REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
illuminate
Amazon Princess

post #47  quote:

quote:
mystic said this in post #43 :

People always speak for other people....if they didnt then gay people wouldnt have to worry about religious nut cases.

So, when religious people speak out against gays, do you find that just as horrible?

Its the same thing, is it not? Are they not speaking for others as well??

Yes, I DO think it's wrong when religious people speak out against gays. First of all, I don't agree with it. If that person, religious or not, disagrees with gay people it's their and ONLY their opinion. They're welcome to have it. But don't include me in that group. Just because I'm religious and they're religious doesn't mean OUR RELIGION is against gays. No, it's JUST that particular person. True, there's more than one but I'm not one of those. So don't put me in that same group. I don't want THEM speaking for ME either.

Hey, I'm catholic, my mom is catholic, my dad's catholic, my brother's catholic, we all have no problem with gay people - so ALL CATHOLICS HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH GAY PEOPLE, I'M SPEAKING FOR EVERYONE.... and come to think of it, we're all ecuadorian, SO ALL ECUADORIANS HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH GAY PEOPLE!!

...it doesn't work that way. You can't bulk people into groups just to try and make your point stronger. Not everyone in that group may agree so everyone should just speak for themselves and no one else. That's all I'm saying.

Old Post 11-15-2006 07:53 PM

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #48  quote:

I would never say that ALL religions are against something. Different churches have different beliefs. Different people have different feelings.

Hell, the church that I grew up going to, and am third generation there, is now an open and affirming church. There are many who think that the church is wrong for opening their arms, and hearts, to gays/lesbians/bisexuals/transgendered. But, there are many who think that it's a wonderful message.

Old Post 11-15-2006 07:56 PM

Gold Member
illuminate
Amazon Princess

post #49  quote:

quote:
mystic said this in post #44 :

The irony is that Christmas really isnt a true celebration of the birth of Jesus. Jesus was not born until May/June.

Christmas was made to compete with the Pagans and their festive holiday in December.

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas, but the reality is that the holiday was originally made to compete with another religion. Typical, I guess.

Actually, we celebrate the Immaculate Conception on Dec 7th or 8th... 8th? Anyway, so wouldn't that make Jesus born sometime in September? I remember always being really confused about that in catechism.

Besides, we celebrate the big red and white fat guy during christmas anyway. He had a beard and curly hair too Someone once tried to tell me he didn't exist... but I just said, have faith. He comes to me from the chimney every year....

Old Post 11-15-2006 08:01 PM

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #50  quote:

quote:
illuminate said this in post #49 :

Actually, we celebrate the Immaculate Conception on Dec 7th or 8th... 8th? Anyway, so wouldn't that make Jesus born sometime in September? I remember always being really confused about that in catechism.

Besides, we celebrate the big red and white fat guy during christmas anyway. He had a beard and curly hair too Someone once tried to tell me he didn't exist... but I just said, have faith. He comes to me from the chimney every year....

That's true... a little faith is good to have, because that fat man shows up, each year, without a doubt, no matter where I'm living.

Old Post 11-15-2006 08:02 PM

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #51  quote:

quote:
Viper1 said this in post #42 :

Gee, I thought most folks performed Gregorian grunts before sending their turds on to a watery grave.

Do you have a hidden microphone at my house?

-HECK!

Old Post 11-15-2006 08:18 PM

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #52  quote:

quote:
illuminate said this in post #49 :

Yeah, and remember the modern image of Santa Claus was courtesy of the Coca Cola corperation.

And isn't Easter when Jesus came back or something? Why hide painted eggs? I think it's a conspiracy from Paas.

-HECK!

Old Post 11-15-2006 08:21 PM

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #53  quote:

quote:
Lawless said this in post #46 :

You know, next they will want to marry a duck.

Yeah, people that say that are a bunch of quacks.

I had some good ones earlier, I think I am running out...

-HECK!

Old Post 11-15-2006 08:23 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #54  quote:

[QUOTE]HECK! said this in post #52 :

And isn't Easter when Jesus came back or something? Why hide painted eggs? I think it's a conspiracy from Paas.

Well I think you are meant to roll the eggs down a hill or soemthing it's meant to repsrsent the stone rolling back from the tomb where Chrits body was put after he was crucified.

Old Post 11-15-2006 08:34 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #55  quote:

Didn't know that. Of course I wouldn't pretend to, I am not what one would call a scholar of the bible. I mean you could call me that, but you'd be wrong.

-HECK!

Old Post 11-15-2006 08:36 PM

oneofpeace
INReview Maven

Local time: 05:11 AM

post #56  quote:

quote:
Heck wrote

There was a time people felt the same way about homosexuality. I was just making a point here that people do have strange appetites for sex. It doesn?t mean that it?s ok because they decide to satisfy it. It just means they did.

quote:

The main purpose of sex is not simply procreation for everyone. Not once in my sexual history has the purpose been procreation. Not even close. I don't need justification.

I think this somewhat illustrates my point Heck. The main purpose of sex is to procreate. Without sex, neither you nor I would be here today. It is the very nature of our bodies just as eating, sleeping and breathing are.

Now I agree that sex is used as a way to express love however you can express love without sex. You cannot procreate without it. Healthy love is a benefit of sex not the other way around and it?s not always used to express a healthy love.

Sex isn?t the first thing that has lost its real significance. What people like most is its sensation and some people will seek to gratify it in any way they can, even if it is to use it in a way it?s not designed and when that happens, abuse is evitable.

Quite simply put. If you want to know the purpose of a thing, look at its natural function. Lungs are for air, the heart is to pump blood and the reproductive organs are for reproduction and if I can be a bit blunt, this is expressly why men ejaculate while doing it because the body is seeking to reproduce.

Now your choice to use it for something other than procreate, though may be gratifying doesn?t negate this law. Hell, I?ve been just as guilty of using it for self gratification (heterosexually speaking) but I was wrong and when you do, it comes with consequences. Society is reflective of this with teen pregnancies, emotional instabilities & disease.

Now one can lay blame at the church for supporting this and yes they have many faults, but on this one, I believe they got it right. I would rather my daughter wait until someone is worthy of her body than to simply gratify it because her flesh is hot because much anguish could be avoided if people simply chose not to indulge both prematurely and at their every whim.

Now if that?s not wisdom Heck, then I don?t know the meaning of the word.

Old Post 11-15-2006 09:34 PM
Click here to Send oneofpeace a Private Message Find more posts by oneofpeace Add oneofpeace to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore oneofpeace REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

oneofpeace
INReview Maven

post #57  quote:

quote:
Lawless said this in post #46 :

I'm with you, Heck! Really pisses me off when someone says something like that. Well, gay people are wrong. You know, next they will want to marry a duck. Or, maybe start loving a little child.

Well I guess another man lying down with another man like he was a woman is what normal?

Look, you can sell just about anything because somewhere someone will want it. My point was simply pointing out sexual behavior that isn?t normal. People will justify it because they love to indulge in it.

Now I?m not trying to peddle religion here, it?s the title of this thread but I find it hard pressed that some of us here can paint religion as something bad and this behavior as something acceptable. And pardon me for saying so, but I believe that is a bit mixed up.

Old Post 11-15-2006 09:41 PM
Click here to Send oneofpeace a Private Message Find more posts by oneofpeace Add oneofpeace to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore oneofpeace REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

CRAYComputer
another nikiTa acct

post #58  quote:

If I may say something here.

Sodomy is just plain gross. I don't care if it is hetero or homo.

But that is just my opinion.

Old Post 11-15-2006 09:53 PM
Find more posts by CRAYComputer Add CRAYComputer to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore CRAYComputer REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

oneofpeace
INReview Maven

post #59  quote:

I happen to agree with you Cray but people will defend it, both homosexual and heterosexual because they enjoy it. In reality, that particular part of the body was made for exiting not entrance.

I know this is a touchy subject but make no mistake about it. People will defend their indulges until they die however it?s their life.

Old Post 11-15-2006 10:05 PM

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

post #60  quote:

quote:
oneofpeace said this in post #57 :

Well I guess another man lying down with another man like he was a woman is what normal?

Look, you can sell just about anything because somewhere someone will want it. My point was simply pointing out sexual behavior that isn?t normal. People will justify it because they love to indulge in it.

Now I?m not trying to peddle religion here, it?s the title of this thread but I find it hard pressed that some of us here can paint religion as something bad and this behavior as something acceptable. And pardon me for saying so, but I believe that is a bit mixed up.

Normal? What's normal? Each persons definition is going to be different. So, maybe to YOU, two men together, or two women together, is wrong, and abnormal. To someone else, it isn't.

No one has the right to tell a person that they aren't normal.

But, I'm tired of this same old argument. I'm to the point in life that I just really don't much care what others think. I live my life, and live it to the best of my ability. That is my normal. Yours is obviously different. Who each person chooses to love, as long as it's legal, and consensual, who is anyone else to judge? If you think that it's wrong... and you believe in the bible, and god... well, let your god have his say when that day comes. Until then, live and let live.

Old Post 11-15-2006 10:34 PM
Time: 10:11 AM Post New Thread   
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Philosophy & Religion > Elton John hates religion
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: