Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > The World > Scotland Involved In Slave Trade (Black Holocaust)
Search this Thread:
Pages (3): « 12 [3]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

Local time: 11:11 AM

post #61  quote:

[QUOTE]lodgebo01 said this in post #60 :
Malcolm remebere ghow I keep suggesting you do reserach welkl it's for times like this - What does "Skotos" mean?

It's a Greek word that means "the darkness before the dawn." It's been used by poets to represent the darkness of the womb before birth, or the last darkness seen before leaving hell.

The term used in behavioral science is borrowed from the science of optics and ophthalmology. ?Scotoma? is from the Greek word skotos (to darken) and means a spot on the visual field in which vision is absent or deficient.

Now there is a link apparently with the Doric language with Scotland and Greece.
[/QUOT

My research says Scotland comes from the greek word "skotos", which means dark or black. Because you cannot answer ( or accept) facts I expose , dosen't mean the info is wrong.

You haven't answered the question.

Why does Scotland come from a root word that means dark or Black ( in some way)?

Old Post 02-09-2008 02:21 AM
Click here to Send malcolm xx a Private Message Find more posts by malcolm xx Add malcolm xx to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore malcolm xx REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
lodgebo01
Senior Moderator

post #62  quote:

Well firstly I explained what skotos means but you ignored that it seems. Anyway I don't know why the Greeks call Scotland dark or black but let me ask you can you find any other language in the world that calls Scotland black or dark? the French call it Eccose, the Dutch call it Schotland as dor the Germans,
Scozia in Italian, Escocia in Spanish are you seeing a trend here Malcolm?

Look like I said earlier one word can mean many different things have you even considered that for a second?

Also to show how week your arguement is answer me this question if I call a car a Televison is it a car or a television?

Old Post 02-09-2008 03:12 AM
Click here to Send lodgebo01 a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo01 Add lodgebo01 to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

Local time: 06:11 AM

post #63  quote:

quote:
Scotland has been given many names,

Caledonia - Romans
Alba/Alban - Gaelic (still used) also supposedly called this (or Albion) by greek sailors.
Pretanikai nesoi - Contributed to the Greek sailor Pytheas as early as 300 BCE.
Pryten - Pictish form of the Irish, became Briton in the Teutonic.
North Britain - Official name used in the Highland clearances
Scotland - comes from the Scotii clan from Ireland who settled in Dalriada

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_was_...ame_of_Scotland

quote:
According to the "Scotichronicon" - one of the earliest histories of Scotland written in the 1440s, there was a legend that a Greek prince called Gaythelos was banished, with his wife Scota, the daughter of an Egyptian Pharoah. He sailed westwards and landed in Spain. From there, he and his followers explored further and one of his sons, named Hiber, found an island (later called Ireland) which he named Scotia, after his mother. So Gaythelos' name gave rise to "Gaelic", Hiber gave rise to Hibernia and Scota gave rise to Scotia and then Scotland. The Scotichronicon does not explain, however, why Ireland is no longer called Scotia and why the Scoti came to Argyll.

http://www.rampantscotland.com/know/blknow_scotname.htm

Old Post 02-09-2008 02:40 PM
Click here to Send Dekka00 a Private Message View Dekka00's Journal Visit Dekka00's homepage! Find more posts by Dekka00 Add Dekka00 to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Staff
lodgebo01
Senior Moderator

post #64  quote:

Crazy Irish people I can just iamgine them all getting on the boat " come with me I know somewhere thats even colder"

Old Post 02-09-2008 03:35 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo01 a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo01 Add lodgebo01 to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #65  quote:

quote:
lodgebo01 said this in post #62 :
Well firstly I explained what skotos means but you ignored that it seems. Anyway I don't know why the Greeks call Scotland dark or black but let me ask you can you find any other language in the world that calls Scotland black or dark? the French call it Eccose, the Dutch call it Schotland as dor the Germans,
Scozia in Italian, Escocia in Spanish are you seeing a trend here Malcolm?

Look like I said earlier one word can mean many different things have you even considered that for a second?

Also to show how week your arguement is answer me this question if I call a car a Televison is it a car or a television?

Old Post 02-13-2008 04:31 AM
Click here to Send malcolm xx a Private Message Find more posts by malcolm xx Add malcolm xx to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore malcolm xx REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
lodgebo01
Senior Moderator

post #66  quote:

So is there a subtle point to reposting my earlier comments or have you just run out of things to say?

Old Post 02-13-2008 06:13 PM

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #67  quote:

quote:
Dekka00 said this in post #63 :

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_was_...ame_of_Scotland

You know different countries have diffent languages, which means Scotland will not have the same spelling.

http://www.rampantscotland.com/know/blknow_scotname.htm

Are you nserious?We are talking about facts not a Hercules-like legend in the 1440s called "Scotlichroicon."

This legend looks like a story made for Hollywood.

Old Post 02-16-2008 08:01 PM

Staff
lodgebo01
Senior Moderator

post #68  quote:

Malcolm you do know that not all the Greek legends are true

Old Post 02-16-2008 08:22 PM

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #69  quote:

quote:
lodgebo01 said this in post #68 :

Do you know which Greek legends are true? How can you prove this "Scotlichroicon" story is true? You don't care what Greeks think of Scotland so why do you believe this Greek mythology but

Old Post 02-17-2008 10:14 PM

Staff
lodgebo01
Senior Moderator

post #70  quote:

Well the Greeks can think what they want of Scotland it's no skin off my nose but in saying that there are a few current arguements in Britain where the Scots and Greeks show solidarity ( we both want our stuff back).

Anyway can you rprove the story is true no and no more than I can prove it is a lie but it still stands that most Greek legends are obviouly stories and not much else.

Howevere we are kinf of going off topic heree ( and we know how much you hate that) I go back to the original point the first Scots were not black

Old Post 02-17-2008 10:21 PM

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #71  quote:

quote:
lodgebo01 said this in post #70 :
Well the Greeks can think what they want of Scotland it's no skin off my nose but in saying that there are a few current arguements in Britain where the Scots and Greeks show solidarity ( we both want our stuff back).

Anyway can you rprove the story is true no and no more than I can prove it is a lie but it still stands that most Greek legends are obviouly stories and not much else.

Howevere we are kinf of going off topic heree ( and we know how much you hate that) I go back to the original point the first Scots were not black

You continue to stay of topic .

No one said the Native Scots were black. We are giving history of the word for Scotland and are curious to the meaning of the word.

Because you disagree with root word you are trtying to twist the subject.

Old Post 02-17-2008 10:42 PM

Staff
lodgebo01
Senior Moderator

post #72  quote:

Really there was never any question about native Scots being black hmm well who said this - Were the original citizens of Scotland Black? Was Scotland originally a Black country?

Now as to names well myself and Dekka gave you not only a list of other names for Scotland but also the meaniong of this word Skotos and yyou still won't let it lie. Like most of your posts Malcolm we have got to that point where you have nothing relevent to add or you have lost the arguemnt and you just start to clutch at straws.

Old Post 02-17-2008 10:49 PM

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #73  quote:

quote:
lodgebo01 said this in post #68 :

Continues to believe in myths and fairy tales. Now we understand why you have hard time comprehending facts (reality). This could be a result of being in the military.

Soldiers returning from war are checked by a doctor for post pardum(?). I can't remember the name but soldiers returning from war usually have it. A common symton is soldiers have a hard time with reality.

Do you know the person on Scotland's ten pound note?

Old Post 02-23-2008 01:15 AM

Staff
lodgebo01
Senior Moderator

post #74  quote:

quote:
malcolm xx said this in post #73 :

Continues to believe in myths and fairy tales. Now we understand why you have hard time comprehending facts (reality). This could be a result of being in the military.

I don't believe in myths and fairytales where did you get that idea from did I not say that not all the greek legends are true, your just maing things up now, it's hypocritical when you used a Greek myth as evidence for you Black Scotland idea.

Soldiers returning from war are checked by a doctor for post pardum(?). I can't remember the name but soldiers returning from war usually have it. A common symton is soldiers have a hard time with reality.

I think you mean post traumatic stress disorder. Don't worry about me Malcolm despirte missing an eye I left the forces with a clean bill of helth physically and mentally

Do you know the person on Scotland's ten pound note?

Well there are two banks that print Scottish notes the bank of Scotland and the Clydesdale bank, I assume you mean the bank of Scotland and luckily enough I have a ?10 in my wallet and yep there is Sir Walter Scott looking back at me. So whats Sir Walter Scott done to the black population?

Old Post 02-23-2008 08:13 PM

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #75  quote:

quote:
lodgebo01 said this in post #74 :

Well there are two banks that print Scottish notes the bank of Scotland and the Clydesdale bank, I assume you mean the bank of Scotland and luckily enough I have a ?10 in my wallet and yep there is Sir Walter Scott looking back at me. So whats Sir Walter Scott done to the black population?

We not aware of Walter Scott. But it is read that missionary MARY SLESSOR's photograph appears on Scotland's 10 pound note.

Mary Slessor's biography " White Queen of the Cannibals:

She was a 27- year old missionary who emigrated from Scotland in 1876 to devote her life in Nigeria to expel what she described as " savagism" and from THEIR culture and teaching them as Africans THEY were inherently " bad people".

Scotland, Scotland, Scotland

Old Post 02-29-2008 12:27 AM

Staff
lodgebo01
Senior Moderator

post #76  quote:

Well firstly I don't think any rational person could get annoyed at Sir Walter Scott who was one of the greatest poets and novelists of his or any other time.

Old mary well like I said there are two Scottish banks that print notes and apparently she is on the Clydesdale bank ?10 note, I never knew that until you told me but I don't see a lot of Clydesdale bank notes hey I got a wife and kid it's a miracle I see any cash at all . Anyway I don't know if thats what she said or not but I did find out the following about her and it's quite interesting.

She went to Nigeria and when she arrived it was still in financial turmoil due to the abolishment of slavery. When she arrived in Lagos rape, infantancide of twins and even human sacrifice where all common ( pretty savage if you ask me). Now unlike the other missionaries she decided to live among the locals, she spoke Efik fluently and learned the local customes while teaching them about womens rights she was so popular in Nigeria that she was given a position in Ltu court (maybe itu court) she even went on to adopt 4 "cursed"children. In 1913 she recived the Order of sdt John of Jerusalem and two years later she died of fever she is buried in Nigeria and was given a full state funeral.

Now like I said I don't know if she said or even in what context but you can judge her by those words or judge her by the above actions you really should read up on her Malcolm, I admit I had never heard of her but she was an amazing women by all accounts. Must say for all the good she did I can think of at least 10 other Scots that would be better suited on the bank note.

Old Post 02-29-2008 02:19 AM

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #77  quote:

You imply she is the wrong person to have face on bank note; you ( and family) choose to use bank notes that use image of Walter Scott ( silly) and you not knowing an iconic figure of Scotland gives more proof of opinion your trying to hide.

Do not believe us. Read the introduction to Mary Slessor's biography " White Queen of the Cannibals" to see what she says:

" On the west coast of Africa is the country of Nigeria. The chief city is Calabar, " said Mother Slessor. It is a dark country because the lights of Goospel is not shining brightly there. Black people live their."

"They're bad people, aren't they Mother? asked little Susan.

Yes, they are bad, because no one has told them about Jesus, the Savior from sin, or showed them what is right and what is wrong."

Her opening words (to bio) clearly show Mary Slessor came to Africa to indoctrinate her version of Christian theology.

She told (brainwash) Nigerians they worshipped an inferior god and that THEY belong to an inferior race. She use "savagism" to describe THERE culture and " encouraged" THEM (brainwash) THEM to accept European civilization as the " cure".

Her legacy was establishing mission schools to " enlighten " THEM . Her mission schools destroyed Nigerian children self-esteem by teaching THEM that as Africans THEY were inherently "bad people."

"Skotos", Duke, involvement in slave trade..... a pattern is developing.

Old Post 02-29-2008 11:48 PM

Staff
lodgebo01
Senior Moderator

post #78  quote:

Maloclm did she do good when she was there yes or no?

And rape, human sacrifice, killing twin children because they were seen as a curse and the murder of women who were recently widowed thats what happend in Nigeria before she arrived and if that is not svage then I don't know what is.

All I will say is this ACTIONS SPEAK LODUER THAN WORDS

And all this brainwashing that you claim happend see that happned with all missionaries and the way she spoke that was they way a lot of missionaries spoke about thoise that did not folloow the Christian teachings. The thing is you acvoid all that and pick out the only Scot you can find that makes you Malcolm the only racist on this board and enforces the view on just how pathetic you are

Old Post 03-01-2008 12:01 AM

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #79  quote:

quote:
lodgebo01 said this in post #78 :
Maloclm did she do good when she was there yes or no?

And rape, human sacrifice, killing twin children because they were seen as a curse and the murder of women who were recently widowed thats what happend in Nigeria before she arrived and if that is not svage then I don't know what is.

All I will say is this ACTIONS SPEAK LODUER THAN WORDS

And all this brainwashing that you claim happend see that happned with all missionaries and the way she spoke that was they way a lot of missionaries spoke about thoise that did not folloow the Christian teachings. The thing is you acvoid all that and pick out the only Scot you can find that makes you Malcolm the only racist on this board and enforces the view on just how pathetic you are

If she was "popular " in nigeria as you say , then anyone would have to say YES she achieved her agenda.

I am only repeating her ( racists?) lines. You know I'm right but (again) your patrotism keeps you from accepting facts. You know Scotland has racists people ( your on the edge) in the country.

Old Post 03-01-2008 01:33 AM

Staff
lodgebo01
Senior Moderator

post #80  quote:

quote:
malcolm xx said this in post #79 :

If she was "popular " in nigeria as you say , then anyone would have to say YES she achieved her agenda.

Well she was popoular in Nigeria if you knew anythinjg about her work you would have known that before you stated this rubbish.

I am only repeating her ( racists?) lines. You know I'm right but (again) your patrotism keeps you from accepting facts.

I could say that your agenda and the fact that your a black man makes you blinded to the facts. I can only ask you whats more important her words or her actions?

You know Scotland has racists people ( your on the edge) in the country.

Yeah Scotland does have racists people both black and white as does practically every other country in the world are you to blinkerd to notice that.

Old Post 03-01-2008 12:24 PM

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #81  quote:

I've forgotten...was this thread ever about the involvement of Scotland in the African Slave Trade?

Old Post 03-01-2008 06:59 PM
Click here to Send White Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by White Tiger Add White Tiger to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Staff
lodgebo01
Senior Moderator

post #82  quote:

I really can't remember we have covered a lot of rubbish beacuse Malcolm keeps going off topic something he complains about others doing.

Old Post 03-01-2008 08:50 PM

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #83  quote:

quote:
White Tiger said this in post #81 :
I've forgotten...was this thread ever about the involvement of Scotland in the African Slave Trade?

There are some historical FACTS about Scotland's treatment of Blacks that needed to be exposed but (trust me) we will return to topic of thread.

There is too much info about "Scotland" not to return.

Old Post 03-02-2008 09:40 PM

Staff
lodgebo01
Senior Moderator

post #84  quote:

Well lets see the historical facts Malcolm. Look at what you have got so far. Glasgow like other ports in the UK was inviolved in the slave trade but I can and have countred that arguement by stating that Scotland was the main driver in the abolishment of slavery, both of these are hitorical facts. Then you have Mary Slessor who as you stated made some questionable comments but I can and have countred that by pointing out the good work that she did again both historical facts.

But if you want to give us more examples of Scotlands racist culture go ahead, BTW I know you think Scotlands is raciost so what are your views on our current realtionship with Malawi Africa's poorest country?

Old Post 03-02-2008 10:51 PM

malcolm xx
In the Now Guru

post #85  quote:

quote:
lodgebo01 said this in post #84 :
Well lets see the historical facts Malcolm. Look at what you have got so far. Glasgow like other ports in the UK was inviolved in the slave trade but I can and have countred that arguement by stating that Scotland was the main driver in the abolishment of slavery, both of these are hitorical facts. Then you have Mary Slessor who as you stated made some questionable comments but I can and have countred that by pointing out the good work that she did again both historical facts.

But if you want to give us more examples of Scotlands racist culture go ahead, BTW I know you think Scotlands is raciost so what are your views on our current realtionship with Malawi Africa's poorest country?

Have you read Mary Slessor's biography " White Queen of the Cannibals" ( she is the author?)

That is the source of the "questionable comments" you imply are not accurate. I suggest you get in touch with Slessor's family and express your opinion.

I'm not aware of Scotland's "relationship" with Malawi but Scotland's history with African tells me its similar to Zimbabwe. Explotation of another African country's natural resources.

Old Post 03-07-2008 11:47 PM

Staff
lodgebo01
Senior Moderator

post #86  quote:

Again you always dodge my question what is more important what she did or what she said?

PS what else does the biography say about Slessor?

You manged to sum up yourself right you are not aware maybe you should readupo about what Scorland has done for Malawi recently what we did when nobody else would do anything?

You thinkn we are going to explouit Malwis natural resources thats a good one you know nothing about Scotland do you? what could we exploit well oil no we have our own oil lots of oil,
gas nope same as oil,
land nah we don't want land in Malawi,
Limestone nah we have ebnough of that and we also have granite too,
hydropower nah we can do that ourselves here with the North sea,
We get our coal from Eastern Europe
and we don't want uranium right now

http://www.scotland-malawipartnership.org/

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/News-Extras/malawi

http://www.scotland.org/about/innov...ion/malawi.html

http://www.tradeconnections.org/

Old Post 03-08-2008 02:46 AM
Time: 11:11 AM Post New Thread   
Pages (3): « 12 [3]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > The World > Scotland Involved In Slave Trade (Black Holocaust)
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: