Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Sports & Recreation > International Soccer > US makes offer to Klinsmann
Search this Thread:
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

Local time: 01:15 AM

US makes offer to Klinsmann post #1  quote:

USSoccerPlayers (October 9, 2006) -- Jurgen Klinsmann, former manager of the German National Team, has received "serious" offers to coach from officials in Mexico and the United States, according to a Klinsmann adviser.

Roland Eitel, Klinsmann's longtime friend and media consultant, told German newspaper Bild am Sonntag it was still uncertain as to what Klinsmann would do.

"Juergen has enough work to do right now," said Eitel.

Eitel said Klinsmann had received coaching offers from Mexico and the United States. Klinsmann, who lives with his family in Southern California, stated after the World Cup that he planned to take six months off before deciding on his professional future.

U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati said last week that he would be looking to name a replacement for former U.S. manager Bruce Arena in the next "30 to 60 days. Klinsmann has been considered a top choice for the job since the position came open in July.

Information from Reuters was used in this report

Old Post 10-14-2006 02:53 AM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

Local time: 09:15 AM

post #2  quote:

Klinsmann could be a good choice for the USA job, he would get you team playing like an efficient German side.

What USA needs in a soccer term is a high profile manager who can build up the sports profile in America and make the American youth interested in playing Football/Soccer over American Football, Baseball and Basketball.

I would suggest someone like Sir Alex Ferguson. A well know football personality, sucessfull manager and one of the best at building youth talent.

The only manager like that available at this moment in time that I can think of is Alan Curbishley.

Old Post 10-14-2006 10:01 PM
Click here to Send White Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by White Tiger Add White Tiger to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #3  quote:

Klinsamnn would be a good appointment and the fact that he wants to live in the US is helpful I just think the big question mark is cost Jurgen does not come cheap apparently.

As for ALex in the US I don't quite think American soccer players of any age are ready for an Alex Ferguson hairdrier moment just yet. Is there not a story about him making Roy Keane and Peter Schiemichal cry.

Old Post 10-15-2006 01:28 AM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #4  quote:

Fergie probably did make someone cry some time in his managerial career at Man Utd.

My favorite story about a manager diciplining a player comes from the great Brian Clough. His goalkeeper was having a lousy game and when they were in the locker room Cloughie lifted this keeper up onto a coat hook and scolded him while he was hanging about two inches above the floor.

Perhaps, if USA aren't ready for Ferguson, they could have Dalglish or Mowbray (in tandem with WBA) or as I said before Alan Curbishley.

Old Post 10-15-2006 11:30 AM
Click here to Send White Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by White Tiger Add White Tiger to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Mr. F
U.S. soccer fan

post #5  quote:

From the conversations ive heard with Suniil Golati , the president of US soccer (im sure i spelt his name wrong), Klinsman is undergoing informal talks and no money bid has yet been offered. He is however at this point at the top of a very short list.

I am all for the appointment of Klinnsman. US soccer has evolved to the point where it can afford him , and with coaching you get what you pay for. Whats more, soccer needs a high profile coach over here to compete with other sports and keep the US moving forward. If the team dosent continue to improve the us fans wont support it

Old Post 10-31-2006 11:47 PM
Click here to Send Mr. F a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. F Add Mr. F to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Mr. F REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #6  quote:

Hey Mr F where you been at? I agree that Klinsmann would be a good coach for the US and would indeed raise your games profile all I would asy is to be carefull myself and White tiger both come from countries that went with big name foreign coaches and it did not work out. If I was an US soccer rep I would be telling Klinsmann to include ate least 2 US coaches in his backroom staff.

Old Post 11-01-2006 12:42 AM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Mr. F
U.S. soccer fan

post #7  quote:

Here in the US there is a core of fans that will never leave (me), and there is the rest of the country that is used to dominating the world at everything and will settle for no less.

If the US is at least appearing to be making positive steps people will get behind the cause so they can say they were supporters all along. I thing Klinsmann will accomplish that just by showing up. The fact that his coaching skills could also help the team aside.

Old Post 11-01-2006 02:03 AM
Click here to Send Mr. F a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. F Add Mr. F to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Mr. F REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Mr. F
U.S. soccer fan

post #8  quote:

J?rgen Klinsmann will be named head coach of the U.S. men's national team within two weeks according to a number of well-placed sources with knowledge of the deal.

Photo Gallery...
J?rgen Klinsmann's journey

His appointment as coach was perhaps the worst-kept secret in American soccer: Klinsmann publicly acknowledged that he was interested in the job and there has been persistent buzz since the World Cup ended in July that the interview process for the national team job was essentially a matter of going through the motions.

Warren Mersereau, who is both Klinsmann's business partner and representative, said "no comment" when contacted for this story.

Old Post 12-05-2006 04:43 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #9  quote:

I have been hearing rumours all week that Klinsmann will rule himself out of the US job.

Old Post 12-09-2006 08:15 PM

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #10  quote:

quote:
U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati spent more than an hour on a media teleconference yesterday that introduced Bob Bradley as interim coach of the men's national team until at least May as well as head coach of the under-23 team trying to qualify for the 2008 Olympics.

The end result: He raised more questions than he answered.

We still don't know why Germany's Juergen Klinsmann, the prohibitive favorite to replace Bruce Arena, turned down the job at the last moment.

Or how long Bradley, who severed ties with Major League Soccer's Chivas USA, will remain a caretaker coach. Or how realistic his chances are of removing the interim tag. Or who the other candidates are.

Or what happens to Bradley's position as Olympic coach if someone ? say, a foreigner ? is hired as national coach and doesn't share the same philosophy as him.
?It's a wide-open landscape at this point, I guess, is the way we have to look at it,? Gulati said. ?We're not going to limit ourselves in any way.?

About all Gulati admitted yesterday is that Klinsmann was his No. 1 choice ? ?I don't want to shy away from that? ? and that they came oh-so-close to reaching an agreement. Klinsmann withdrew from consideration Thursday, e-mailing a brief statement to media outlets that did not provide specifics.

Gulati ruled out basically every reason the media had proffered ? that Klinsmann wanted too much money, or his association with adidas was a problem for a federation aligned with Nike, or that Gulati was not prepared to give him supreme authority over the program.

?Nonsense,? Gulati called it.

Yet, despite repeated questions, he refused to pinpoint what ultimately killed the deal that one news organization reported was actually signed.

?We agreed on many, many things,? Gulati said. ?He and I agreed on just about everything, is the best way of putting it. But in the end, you've got to agree on everything and we ran out of time trying to agree on everything.?

So now that Bradley is U.S. Soccer's interim coach until at least May, why not spend the next six months hammering out a contract with Klinsmann?

?We might work together in the future,? Gulati said. ?What that means, I couldn't tell you. (But) I don't want anyone to expect he'll take the team in 2008 or in May. That's not what I'm saying at all.?

Gulati indicated the other four finalists remain in contention, plus another who previously withdrew, plus anyone else who might show interest. At least two candidates, Gulati said, are with European clubs that won't end their seasons until May.

One potential candidate is Gerard Houllier of French club Lyon. Another is Manchester United assistant Carlos Queiroz, who nearly got the U.S. job twice before.

In the meantime, Bradley will run both the national team and the all-important Olympic team, which, as an under-23 event, could be a proving ground for a large chunk of the 2010 World Cup roster. Training camp opens Jan. 2, and there are games scheduled Jan. 20 and Feb. 7 ? the latter against Mexico.

Gulati said he had ?a frank conversation? with Bradley, an assistant under Arena on three different occasions, about his chances of staying on, but like most everything else on yesterday's conference call, he wouldn't elaborate.

?I'm confident in my work,? said Bradley, who led Chivas USA to the playoffs in his first and only season there. ?It comes across a little bit as a foregone conclusion that someone new will be coming in. Honestly, I don't feel that way.?

Old Post 12-09-2006 11:17 PM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote
Time: 09:15 AM Post New Thread   
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Sports & Recreation > International Soccer > US makes offer to Klinsmann
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: