Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Computers & Internet > Technical Support > Audio input
Search this Thread:
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

Local time: 05:51 PM

Audio input post #1  quote:

I had a problem with my soundcard, i had to F-disc my PC, but i dont have my utilites CD, so i didnt have drivers for either my sound card or my Graphics card. In the end i decided to get a new sound card, which now works fine, apart from the face that the Audio in (mic) doesnt work but the sound does.

I think i know what is wrong ... but its all strange.

The new sound card is a "SoundWave 7.1 PCI". ive got it installed, hence the sound working, but theres one part i dont understand.

"connect one end of the audio cable from your CD-ROM or DVD-player to the CD In or Aux In on the soundcard"

Now i can see the CD In and Aux In slots, but cant see which caple to remove from the CD-ROM (because there are no cables from it that would fit)

Also on a PS - What do the jumpers do? apart from keep it warm that is

Old Post 09-19-2006 03:41 AM
Click here to Send flying panda a Private Message View flying panda's Journal Find more posts by flying panda Add flying panda to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore flying panda REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Viper1
Veteran

Local time: 11:51 AM

post #2  quote:

If you're talking external connections, you probably need to run the cable from the earphone jack on the CD-ROM drive to the CD In or Aux In on the soundcard.

If you're talking internal connections, there should be a 2-pin or 4-pin cable that runs from the connector side of the CD-ROM drive to the soundcard's CD In or Aux In connector. That cable usually comes with the CD-ROM drive, but may, on occasion, come with the soundcard. Check with your local computer shop to see which one you'll need.

Old Post 09-19-2006 04:12 AM
Click here to Send Viper1 a Private Message Find more posts by Viper1 Add Viper1 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Viper1 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #3  quote:

well the two slots on the sound card are 4-pin, and what looks like the same type of 4-pin on the CD-ROM. so i asume thats what it is. But would the connector have 2 4-pin connectors, for going from the CD-ROM to the soundcard directly?

The old Soundcard was built in to the motherboard ... the new one is in a PCI slot ...

Old Post 09-19-2006 04:25 AM
Click here to Send flying panda a Private Message View flying panda's Journal Find more posts by flying panda Add flying panda to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore flying panda REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Viper1
Veteran

post #4  quote:

No, a single 4-pin connector cable going from the CD-ROM drive to the sound card, usually gray in color. In the photo (see link), the 2-pin SPDIF connector (on the CD-ROM drive) on the left is for a digital signal; the 4-pin connector on the right is the analog connector used to connect to the CD In or AUX In connector on the sound card. You'll probably need to go to the store where you bought the sound card and purchase an audio cable.

Old Post 09-19-2006 04:57 AM
Click here to Send Viper1 a Private Message Find more posts by Viper1 Add Viper1 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Viper1 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #5  quote:

quote:
Viper1 said this in post #4 :
No, a single 4-pin connector cable going from the CD-ROM drive to the sound card, usually gray in color. In the photo (see link), the 2-pin SPDIF connector (on the CD-ROM drive) on the left is for a digital signal; the 4-pin connector on the right is the analog connector used to connect to the CD In or AUX In connector on the sound card. You'll probably need to go to the store where you bought the sound card and purchase an audio cable.

Which links that then? EDIT ... realised you edited

If i take in the guide that came with it they MAY know what i mean ... but some of the people who work there ... "contact the manufacturer" ... well my brother works there, so cant be that hard

Ill pop in some time and see what i can find

Old Post 09-19-2006 05:00 AM

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #6  quote:

Oh now i see, they are exactly the types of slots that i see on my computer ... very helpful, thank you Viper

Old Post 09-19-2006 05:02 AM

Viper1
Veteran

post #7  quote:

You're welcome.

Old Post 09-19-2006 05:17 AM
Time: 05:51 PM Post New Thread   
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Computers & Internet > Technical Support > Audio input
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: