Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Medicine, Science & Technology > Earth & Life Sciences > Mother Nature > Recent St. Louis Storms
Search this Thread:
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

Local time: 12:00 AM

Recent St. Louis Storms post #1  quote:

Storm damage leaves much of St. Louis in dark

July 23, 2006

BY JEFF DOUGLAS

ST. LOUIS -- Barbara Gill was one of the lucky ones.

While most of her neighbors in north St. Louis -- and people across the city -- had gone without electricity since Wednesday night, she had some to spare.

''This stranger came to my door with a bowl of ramen noodles and said, 'I'm hungry. Can you heat this up for me?' I didn't think twice,'' said Gill, 64. ''This storm got everybody.''

As 570,000 area homes and businesses braced for a weekend without electricity, residents could at least be thankful the week's pattern of oppressive heat followed by destructive storms appeared to be ending.

Friday, two days after severe storms knocked out power to about 500,000 customers, more high winds and rain set power workers further behind, erasing more than a day's worth of restoration progress.

''It definitely represents some more challenges for us. The storm that blew through here left a lot of damage. It essentially has affected power for another 200,000 customers,'' AmerenUE spokesman Tim Fox said. ''But a couple of things are in our favor.''

Temperatures near triple digits Thursday cooled down Friday and were expected to be in the 80s throughout the weekend. That lessened the threat of deadly heat for thousands of people without power for air conditioners.

Old Post 07-23-2006 05:09 PM
Click here to Send mystic a Private Message Find more posts by mystic Add mystic to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore mystic REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

post #2  quote:

Severe Storms Keep St. Louis Dark
An Estimated 440,000 Homes, Businesses Without Electricity

Another day of severe storms knocked out electricity for tens of thousands of additional residents, but brought along a cold front that was welcome relief for those waiting for power to be restored.

A strong thunderstorm rolled through the region Friday, two days after one of the worst storms in recent memory caused more than 500,000 Ameren Corp. customers to lose power.

Utility crews had trimmed that number significantly by Saturday morning, but the total rose again after the storms, adding another twist to a week that has seen at least 29 heat-related deaths across the United States.

About 130,000 had been restored over the previous 24 hours 440,000 homes and businesses in the St. Louis area were still without electricity Saturday morning,. Ameren spokeswoman Susan Gallagher said it still could be early next week before all outages are resolved.

"We live in a place that don't have any lights, electricity, anything, and we're trying to keep cool," St. Louis resident Yvonne Smith told CBS News correspondent Kelly Cobiella as she loaded bags of ice into the trunk of her car.

"Everybody is miserable," said St. Louis resident Kim Cox. "We've got a couple of fans but hopefully it'll be over soon."

President George W. Bush on Friday approved Missouri's request for an expedited disaster declaration, which mobilizes the Federal Emergency Management Agency and provides federal funding for debris removal and other emergency needs.

A third American Red Cross shelter opened Friday, a day after more than 500 people spent the night in the others. Fifty-two cooling centers were set up in the area to take in those who could not stay in their hot homes.

Missouri National Guard troops spent their second day here Friday after Gov. Matt Blunt declared the city a state of emergency. Guardsmen assisted in seeking out those needing help in hot homes without power, especially the elderly, and with debris removal.

As the weather improved, there was hope the outages were becoming more of an inconvenience than a health threat.

Friday's high fell short of 90 degrees, and forecasts called for highs into the 80s through Monday.

The problems, however, were far from over. Tree limbs, road signs and downed power lines could be seen throughout the region.

Many businesses were feeling the impact of the outages. Boeing Co.'s St. Louis defense business had to shut down after the power went out Friday, sending 4,000 workers home early.

Four St. Louis-area deaths were blamed on the weather. On Friday, Jefferson County authorities blamed Thursday's heat for the death of a 93-year-old man whose home had no power. A 42-year-old dump truck driver died when winds blew a steel box onto him, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

In southwest Missouri, a 76-year-old woman who went looking for her dog apparently succumbed to 103-degree heat and was found dead on a porch about a mile from her home, police said Friday.

Tens of thousands of people also were without power in parts of southern Illinois that were pounded by storms for the second time in three days. Gov. Rod Blagojevich declared Madison and St. Clair counties state disaster areas.

In Oklahoma, the death toll rose to seven as the state medical examiner's office said heat caused the deaths of four elderly people on Thursday.

Heat-related deaths also have been reported this week in Illinois, Kansas, Pennsylvania, Arkansas, Indiana, South Dakota and Tennessee.

Old Post 07-23-2006 05:10 PM
Click here to Send mystic a Private Message Find more posts by mystic Add mystic to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore mystic REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

post #3  quote:

Luckily, my power came back on late Wed and early Thrusday (approx 2 am)..

My mom had hers back on that night as well, but half of her neighborhood still doesnt have any electricity. She still doesnt have cable yet.

My brother still doesnt have any at his house. His phones arent working yet either. (thank goodness for cell phones).

That was a scary storm. I looked up in the sky and thought for sure we were gonna have a tornado. The winds were so extreme. The lightning then came and it just continually streaked throughout the sky and came down to the ground.

When it finally calmed down, all of our neghbors were on the street talking....no one had any power...it was getting really dark out, but that damn lightning still was streaking up in the sky...

Scary stuff.

Old Post 07-23-2006 05:17 PM

nikiTa
Definitively Illumined

Local time: 02:30 AM

post #4  quote:

Thought of you when I saw this on the news.

Good to know you are ok.

Old Post 07-23-2006 09:55 PM
Find more posts by nikiTa Add nikiTa to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore nikiTa REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

Local time: 10:00 PM

post #5  quote:

Mystic... glad to know that you're doing well. Don't like hearing that a friend is going through a storm, or something. It's scary. I remember when I lived in Kansas, and went through my first tornado. If I could have, I would of packed, and returned to S. Cali the following day, and left my ex-husband in the dust.

Be careful... ok?

Old Post 07-23-2006 10:58 PM
Click here to Send Lawless a Private Message View Lawless's Journal Visit Lawless's homepage! Find more posts by Lawless Add Lawless to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Lawless REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

post #6  quote:

Everything is pretty normal now....well for us it is.

I saw a lot of trees on top of cars and some on a few houses.

We had hurricane-like winds. It was so wierd. The worst thing was that the day after the storm, we had high temps here and people who didnt have electricity, didnt have air conditioning.

Its still hard to get into a restaurant because they are packed.

We were like in this wierd blackout on Wed. I got on the deck of my house and all I saw was black...everywhere...and it was only like 8:30-9 pm.

It went from like 100 and something to like 70 degrees in a matter of an hour or so. The next day was really hot and then another storm came through in the afternoon and some of the power they had restored, went back out again.

My brother hasnt had power since Wed. He wont stay with us or my mom. I have no idea how they have gotten through the days. All this week it supposed to be in the nineties, and with the added humidity...well, that would suck.

You cant even get a hotel room in this town. They are all booked up.

Cant wait till its all fixed.

Thanks.

Old Post 07-23-2006 11:23 PM

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

Local time: 10:00 PM

Over 230,000 customers blacked out in St. Louis post #7  quote:

Monday, July 24, 2006; Posted: 2:12 p.m. EDT (18:12 GMT)

ST. LOUIS, Missouri (AP) -- Nearly a quarter-million homes and businesses still had no electricity Monday as the city struggled to recover from last week's devastating thunderstorms.

The blackout has kept air conditioners from cooling homes since Wednesday, while temperatures outside soared into triple digits.

As of Monday morning, about 231,000 customers were still without power, according to Ameren Corp. That was down from the more than a half-million customers that lost power when the storms struck.

With about 4,000 utility workers from as far away as Arizona working around the clock to restore service, Ameren Vice President Richard Mark said 90 percent could have power again by Tuesday, with the rest expected to have electricity Wednesday.

The blackout has left emergency rooms across the region inundated with patients who rely on electricity for oxygen and other medical needs.

The Missouri Health Department called on the help of all registered nurses and nursing assistants in the area and a team of nurses arrived Saturday from Kansas City to work in St. Louis hospitals. National Guard troops went door-to-door to check on the elderly. At least four deaths in the region were blamed on the storms or the heat.

Blackouts also affected parts of California on Monday, where utilities worked to restore electricity to thousands of customers Monday as a severe heat wave taxed power plants and threatened to push the state into a power emergency with the potential for more blackouts.

In New York City, 3,000 to 4,000 customers, including homes, businesses and in some cases entire apartment buildings, entered their second week without electricity Monday in part of the borough of Queens. That blackout started in the middle of last week's heat wave on a day the temperature was near 100 degrees.

In St. Louis, some 100 dump trucks rolled through city streets Sunday collecting branches and entire trees smashed by the storms. The Missouri Army National Guard was helping with the cleanup.

"It's hard to believe your eyes when you are looking at something this massive," said St. Louis Parks Director Gary Bess. What isn't turned chopped into mulch for landscaping will be cut into free firewood or hauled away, he said.

President Bush on Friday approved Missouri's request for an expedited disaster declaration, which mobilizes the Federal Emergency Management Agency and provides federal funding for debris removal and other emergency needs.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Old Post 07-24-2006 08:42 PM
Click here to Send Lawless a Private Message View Lawless's Journal Visit Lawless's homepage! Find more posts by Lawless Add Lawless to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Lawless REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote
Time: 06:00 AM Post New Thread   
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Medicine, Science & Technology > Earth & Life Sciences > Mother Nature > Recent St. Louis Storms
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: