Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Politics & Government > Law > South Dakota abortion ban signed into law
Search this Thread:
Pages (2):  [1] 2 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

Local time: 07:28 AM

South Dakota abortion ban signed into law post #1  quote:

quote:
Governor Mike Rounds on Monday signed legislation banning almost all abortions in South Dakota. The law will make it a crime for doctors to perform an abortion unless the procedure was necessary to save the woman's life -- but there are no exceptions for cases of rape or incest. Planned Parenthood, which operates the state's only abortion clinic, has pledged to challenge the legislation. Rounds issued a written statement saying he expects the law will be tied up in court for years and will not take effect unless the Supreme Court upholds it.

link to rest of story

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03...n.ap/index.html

Old Post 03-06-2006 08:07 PM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

USA1
INReview Maven

Local time: 09:28 AM

Re: South Dakota abortion ban signed into law post #2  quote:

quote:
fuscia said this in post #1 :
link to rest of story

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03...n.ap/index.html

He also said there would be no exceptions for rape or incest cases.

That really disturbs me.

Old Post 03-06-2006 08:37 PM
Click here to Send USA1 a Private Message Find more posts by USA1 Add USA1 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore USA1 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #3  quote:

I agree. But, the people of South Dakota elected this person, reap the benefits.

-HECK!

Old Post 03-06-2006 08:54 PM
Click here to Send HECK! a Private Message View HECK!'s Journal Find more posts by HECK! Add HECK! to your buddy list Send an AIM message to HECK! Reply w/Quote

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #4  quote:

Fuscia- you put North instead of South Dakota in the headline...

-HECK!

Old Post 03-06-2006 09:03 PM
Click here to Send HECK! a Private Message View HECK!'s Journal Find more posts by HECK! Add HECK! to your buddy list Send an AIM message to HECK! Reply w/Quote

USA1
INReview Maven

post #5  quote:

I suppose you can just go across the state line like everyone else.

Old Post 03-06-2006 09:07 PM
Click here to Send USA1 a Private Message Find more posts by USA1 Add USA1 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore USA1 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #6  quote:

quote:
HECK said this in post #4 :
Fuscia- you put North instead of South Dakota in the headline...

-HECK!

DOH! I was reading up on Little House on the Prairie. North Dakota just got stuck in my head.

It does concern me that there is no provision for rape or incest. No morning after pill for such instances.

Old Post 03-06-2006 09:13 PM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #7  quote:

True, but I see a domino effect happening. An effort to usurp the Constitution.

-HECK!

Old Post 03-06-2006 09:14 PM

Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

Local time: 10:28 AM

post #8  quote:

'bout time infanticide was outlawed.

Old Post 03-06-2006 11:42 PM
Click here to Send Dekka00 a Private Message View Dekka00's Journal Visit Dekka00's homepage! Find more posts by Dekka00 Add Dekka00 to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

nikiTa
Definitively Illumined

Local time: 11:58 AM

Re: Re: South Dakota abortion ban signed into law post #9  quote:

quote:
USA1 said this in post #2 :

He also said there would be no exceptions for rape or incest cases.

That really disturbs me.

Well, perhaps rape and incest should be punishable crimes in the United States.

The fact that they really aren't disturbs me even more.

Old Post 03-06-2006 11:48 PM
Find more posts by nikiTa Add nikiTa to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore nikiTa REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #10  quote:

Um, what do you mean by not punishable crimes?

-HECK!

Old Post 03-07-2006 12:10 AM

nikiTa
Definitively Illumined

post #11  quote:

It means I would like to see some punishment in this country for all the rapes, all the cases of incest, going back retroactively without statute of limitations in all 50 states!

Not just a few convictions here and there with 60 day sentences to make it look like some action is being done.

Old Post 03-07-2006 12:14 AM
Find more posts by nikiTa Add nikiTa to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore nikiTa REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

USA1
INReview Maven

post #12  quote:

quote:
nikiTa said this in post #11 :
It means I would like to see some punishment in this country for all the rapes, all the cases of incest, going back retroactively without statute of limitations in all 50 states!

Not just a few convictions here and there with 60 day sentences to make it look like some action is being done.

Agreed. Death to the rapists!
Let's bundle child molesters in this Bill too. Death to molesters!

Old Post 03-08-2006 06:49 PM

Diamond Member
Inner City Blues
What's Going On

post #13  quote:

Rape and incest are punishable crimes. But now is definitely not a good time to get pregnant in South Dakota. Heaven forbid you have issues with your Rh factors.

Old Post 03-08-2006 11:31 PM
Click here to Send Inner City Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Inner City Blues Add Inner City Blues to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Inner City Blues REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

The Writer
Crackerjack

post #14  quote:

quote:
USA1 said this in post #12 :

Agreed. Death to the rapists!
Let's bundle child molesters in this Bill too. Death to molesters!

Abortion is the ultimate child molesting. I hope the bill is retroactive and abortionists are called to task for their past killings. Would it matter if 90% of that states population supported the abortion ban? Should it?

Old Post 03-12-2006 10:09 PM
Click here to Send The Writer a Private Message Visit The Writer's homepage! Find more posts by The Writer Add The Writer to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore The Writer REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

USA1
INReview Maven

post #15  quote:

quote:
The Writer said this in post #14 :

Abortion is the ultimate child molesting. I hope the bill is retroactive and abortionists are called to task for their past killings. Would it matter if 90% of that states population supported the abortion ban? Should it?

They can't hold them responcible if it was legal at the time.
There is no statute of limitations on child molestation, just ask a priest.
We have some real bad Judges out there that need to go away.

You will never get 90% support. There are still the incest and rape issues that many feel are still a huge issue.

I for one would not want my daughter to be denied the choice if she was raped and impregnated by an alchoholic, drug using, aids carrying psychopath. She should have the choice on whether to birth this child, not me or YOU.

Old Post 03-14-2006 05:57 PM

The Writer
Crackerjack

post #16  quote:

quote:
USA1 said this in post #15 :

They can't hold them responcible if it was legal at the time.

*That can be changed in a democracy.

There is no statute of limitations on child molestation, just ask a priest.

*There currently is a statute of limitations regarding CRIMINAL charges

You will never get 90% support. There are still the incest and rape issues that many feel are still a huge issue.

* I said what if

I for one would not want my daughter to be denied the choice if she was raped and impregnated by an alchoholic, drug using, aids carrying psychopath. She should have the choice on whether to birth this child, not me or YOU.

You would be talking about YOUR grandchild. As much a part of you as any other you will have. Should the child die for the sins of the father?

Old Post 03-18-2006 06:05 PM
Click here to Send The Writer a Private Message Visit The Writer's homepage! Find more posts by The Writer Add The Writer to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore The Writer REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

nikiTa
Definitively Illumined

post #17  quote:

writer
I am going to say it one more time...and if you continue on ...I will repeat it over and over if and when it sinks in...

Adopt these children and support these women financially or shut thy piehole!!!

Old Post 03-18-2006 06:24 PM

The Writer
Crackerjack

post #18  quote:

quote:
nikiTa said this in post #17 :
writer
I am going to say it one more time...and if you continue on ...I will repeat it over and over if and when it sinks in...

Adopt these children and support these women financially or shut thy piehole!!!

Please... just put me on your ignore list. I have the right to express an opinion contray to yours. I would gladly take any of these children if it would save their lives... In a heartbeat! You propose nonsense. Unwed mothers have a host of social services designed to assist them. The childs father will have his salary attached for child support, the WIC program provides FREE food, formula, etc... Most have families who will help.

Do you think it's just money that drives the abortion mills? That babies are killed because of lack of finances? I've never heard of a woman using the term "piehole". Put your demands where the sun don't shine and quit playing games.

Old Post 03-20-2006 03:47 AM

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

Local time: 11:28 PM

post #19  quote:

"Should the child die for the sins of the father?" - that is such a horrible thing to wish upon a rape victim. Being a man, I'm ashamed that another man would be so insensitive... but that's neither here nor there, you are indeed allowed your opinion.

But the only way I can see your view is like this: a woman, raped, a traumatic ordeal indeed (hardly think you can argue that point). Then she's suddenly pregnant; an abortion is a hard thing to go through with, and it will most likely scar them for life. But that scar won't be anywhere near as deep as it would be if they had to see the product of their rape each and every day for the rest of their life. I mean, they may love the child completely; but at the back of their mind that child would still be a subtle reminder of how they were humiliated - reduced to a mass of fleshy desire and conquored by some twisted individual.

It makes me sick just thinking about it.

Old Post 03-20-2006 07:00 AM
Click here to Send gaboman a Private Message Find more posts by gaboman Add gaboman to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

USA1
INReview Maven

post #20  quote:

quote:
The Writer said this in post #16 :

You would be talking about YOUR grandchild. As much a part of you as any other you will have. Should the child die for the sins of the father?

Are you drunk or what? It's difficult to get the kist of what you are saying.

Old Post 03-20-2006 03:38 PM

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #21  quote:

The Writer & nikiTa, let's keep it civil or to the Flamer's Ward this thread shall go.

That was Yoda talk, I know.

-HECK!

Old Post 03-20-2006 04:33 PM

The Writer
Crackerjack

post #22  quote:

quote:
gaboman said this in post #19 :
"Should the child die for the sins of the father?" - that is such a horrible thing to wish upon a rape victim.

*** The rape victim is already raped... killing the baby doesn't undo that.

Being a man, I'm ashamed that another man would be so insensitive...

*** Supporting the murder of unborn children is "being sensitive" ???

but that's neither here nor there, you are indeed allowed your opinion.

*** It may be allowed but it sure ain't encouraged.

But the only way I can see your view is like this: a woman, raped, a traumatic ordeal indeed (hardly think you can argue that point).

*** I've never been raped (it can happen to a man) I suppose the trauma is greater than getting beat up in a fight (which HAS happened to me) but possibly less than having your arms amputated. (There was a woman who was raped AND had her arms amputated perhaps someone could ask her which was worse)

Then she's suddenly pregnant; an abortion is a hard thing to go through with, and it will most likely scar them for life. But that scar won't be anywhere near as deep as it would be if they had to see the product of their rape each and every day for the rest of their life. I mean, they may love the child completely; but at the back of their mind that child would still be a subtle reminder of how they were humiliated - reduced to a mass of fleshy desire and conquered by some twisted individual.

***Well... in such a case the child might be put up for adoption. Not only myself, but the state will take unwanted babies. Two wrongs do not make a right. Rape is wrong.. abortion is wrong.

It makes me sick just thinking about it.

*** At last... an area of agreement.

Old Post 03-20-2006 04:44 PM

Diamond Member
Inner City Blues
What's Going On

post #23  quote:

quote:
The Writer said this in post #18 :

Do you think it's just money that drives the abortion mills? That babies are killed because of lack of finances?

Yes this is the case, women have abortions for financial reasons, it's one fo the reasons why we probably saw a decline in abortions as the country prospered and now we see a stagnation as the economy has worsened since 2001.

I'm sure you say you would adopt these children, but we all know you haven't done this. It's easy to say you'll adopt, it sounds good, but you're not going to do it. A baby is more than buying food for the child.

Old Post 03-20-2006 05:07 PM
Click here to Send Inner City Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Inner City Blues Add Inner City Blues to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Inner City Blues REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #24  quote:

I think people need to keep in mind that there are thousands of infertile couples. There are not enough babies to adopt. Many go to infertility clinics to have thier own because they can not find a baby to adopt. Many couples can not afford the treatments, so they try to adopt and do not get babies. There are homes out there.

Old Post 03-20-2006 05:12 PM

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #25  quote:

quote:
Inner City Blues said this in post #23 :

Yes this is the case, women have abortions for financial reasons, it's one fo the reasons why we probably saw a decline in abortions as the country prospered and now we see a stagnation as the economy has worsened since 2001.

I'm sure you say you would adopt these children, but we all know you haven't done this. It's easy to say you'll adopt, it sounds good, but you're not going to do it. A baby is more than buying food for the child.

Not to mention it's always easier for the man to offer up his stance knowing that he will never, ever be the one to make the ultimate decision.

-HECK!

Old Post 03-20-2006 05:14 PM

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

post #26  quote:

quote:
fuscia said this in post #24 :
I think people need to keep in mind that there are thousands of infertile couples. There are not enough babies to adopt. Many go to infertility clinics to have thier own because they can not find a baby to adopt. Many couples can not afford the treatments, so they try to adopt and do not get babies. There are homes out there.

True, but adpoting a child isn't easy at all. Besides the money factor, there is so much red tape that couples wait for years and years. I wish there was a stork that could drop off all the unwanted children.

-HECK!

Old Post 03-20-2006 05:15 PM

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #27  quote:

quote:
HECK said this in post #26 :

True, but adpoting a child isn't easy at all. Besides the money factor, there is so much red tape that couples wait for years and years. I wish there was a stork that could drop off all the unwanted children.

-HECK!

IVF costs about ten grand a cycle. Hell, I had to take fertility drugs, and my drugs alone six years ago were about $1700 for one month. That was not counting the blood thinners. Luckily, I only needed one month.

I also wish there was a stork that could drop off all the unwanted children. there are really great people out there who would give everything to be parents.

Old Post 03-20-2006 05:17 PM

The Writer
Crackerjack

post #28  quote:

quote:
USA1 said this in post #20 :

Are you drunk or what? It's difficult to get the gist of what you are saying.

***Okay... Every baby has a mother and a father. Usually the mother and the father love one another and they both love the baby.

But sometimes they don't love each other. Sometimes the father is a rapist and is hated by the mother. The father is a criminal and if caught will be sent to prison. That doesn't help the pain and humiliation the mother endures. But may give some satisfaction at least.

Now if the mother is pregnant she may consider abortion (if it's legal) She may think she is having revenge by killing the baby. But the truth is the rapist has no feelings about the child or anyone else.

In my view, (you are allowed to disagree) The child is completely innocent. It has no responsibility for the crimes it's father has committed and should not be killed because of them.

I hope that gives you the gist of my argument on this subject. I would not come in here drunk and spewing nonsense. You might not agree with my position, or understand it... but I ask you to respect it.

Old Post 03-20-2006 05:18 PM

The Writer
Crackerjack

post #29  quote:

quote:
fuscia said this in post #24 :

*** You're right fuscia... but what I don't understand is how some in here doubt my sincerity when I say I would take the babies...The fact that they can't imagine someone who finds babies delightfull (Dispite poop and spit up), reveils more about themselves than their arguments do.

Old Post 03-20-2006 05:29 PM

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

post #30  quote:

I think that most people wrongly assume that you are giving lip service when you make a statement like that. I have a relative who can not have children because of having cancer earlier in her life. She honestly would take a baby if they would let her. There are people out there who are kind and loving. It is a sad commentary on our society that we are so quick to assume that people are insincere.

Old Post 03-20-2006 05:33 PM
Time: 03:28 PM Post New Thread   
Pages (2):  [1] 2 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Politics & Government > Law > South Dakota abortion ban signed into law
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: