Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Politics & Government > Law > Child's killer sentenced to die
Search this Thread:
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

Local time: 10:36 PM

Child's killer sentenced to die post #1  quote:

Wednesday, March 15, 2006; Posted: 4:32 p.m. EST (21:32 GMT)

SARASOTA, Florida (CNN) -- A Florida judge formally sentenced Joseph P. Smith to death Wednesday for the 2004 murder of Carlie Brucia, whose abduction was captured by a security camera and shown around the world.

"Joseph Smith, based upon your actions, you have forfeited your right to live freely among us in society and pursuant to the laws of Florida you have forfeited your right to live," said Sarasota County Circuit Judge Andrew Owens.

Owens also sentenced Smith to life in prison without the possibility of parole on kidnapping and sexual battery charges.
Brucia was abducted and killed in February 2004, while she was walking home from a friend's house.

The car wash camera showed her being led away by a man in a blue shirt.

A jury convicted Smith, 39, in November and recommended 10-2 that he be put to death.

Owens cited a number of aggravating factors in the crime, including the kidnapping and sexual assault of Brucia, the fact that Smith killed her in hopes of avoiding arrest, and the premeditated and cruel nature of the crime.

He said that forensic evidence showed that it would have taken several minutes for Carlie to die by strangulation.

"The defendant had adequate time to reflect on whether to spare Carlie's life. He had other options available to him, but for reasons we may never know, he simply chose to ignore them," Owens said. "In fact, he not only chose to ignore those options, but the forensic evidence reveals that he held the ligature so tight around Carlie's neck that it dug into her flesh. He did not let go and ultimately carried out his senseless plan to end her life."

Begging for mercy
At a hearing last month, Smith tearfully apologized for the pain he caused and asked the judge to spare his life for the sake of his children.

He said he started using heroin at age 19 and abused drugs until the day he abducted and killed Brucia.

Smith said his memory of the crime is hazy. "I don't understand how it all happened. ... I remember thinking it was wrong, but I couldn't stop."

"I want to tell you, and Carlie's family, and my family, and this community, how very sorry I am for these terrible crimes. Every day I think about what I did, and I beg God for forgiveness," Smith said.

Owens said it was unclear whether Smith was under the influence of drugs when he killed Brucia and that his efforts to conceal the crime show that he knew his actions were wrong.

Stolen future
At last month's hearing, Prosecutor Debra Riva asked the judge to remember what Carlie went through before her death.

"Consider her inability to fight back and what she knew was looming over her," Riva said.

Carlie's relatives and friends also testified that their lives have been forever shattered by the crime.

One by one, the girl's aunts, a teacher and her best friend's mother described the impact her rape and murder had on their lives.

Two of her aunts mourned the bright and bubbly child they will never see grow up, the smiles and hugs that don't come anymore, the shopping trips and beach outings that won't be taken.

"Carlie's future and life were stolen from her -- and us, her family," said her aunt, Laurie Jane Brucia.

'Overwhelming sadness'
"Our hearts will never heal," she added. "Our family has been left with an overwhelming sadness, a void that pictures will never fill. Carlie, our hope for the future, is gone forever."

Another aunt said the crime "completely tore apart three very close families" and "destroyed marriages, friendships and family relationships."

At Carlie's middle school, classmates had trouble concentrating, met often with counselors and fell behind in school. A garden was dedicated to her memory, said Noel Gilliland, a special education teacher who said Carlie assisted in her class and "was always ready to help the underdog."

She recalled Carlie as "the girl we all wished we had a classroom full of."

The slain girl's best friend became withdrawn, gained 60 pounds and began failing in school, her mother said. She described Carlie as "a little blond-haired, blue-eyed angel."

"Mandy does not make friends; the phone doesn't ring for her anymore," said Sherry Langworth. "Mandy is broken, and I don't know how to fix her."

In a written statement, Carlie's mother, Susan Schorpen, told the judge that "I want desperately for a normal life again, but I feel so broken."

Her family, she wrote, has been destroyed. Her mother died of cancer, her father is "lost," wandering in Europe, her brother died suddenly earlier this month, her son was robbed of his childhood and she is battling a drug problem.

"I have lost so much through this tragedy, and so has my family," she said.

Attachment:
storyvert.joepsmith.jpg (10.8457 kb, 1770 views)

Old Post 03-15-2006 11:26 PM
Click here to Send Whidden a Private Message View Whidden's Journal Find more posts by Whidden Add Whidden to your buddy list Send an AIM message to Whidden Whidden's MSN ID is whidden1@cox.net Click Here to Ignore Whidden REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

Local time: 08:36 PM

post #2  quote:

They should let the family flip the switch to kill this piece of crap.

-HECK!

Old Post 03-15-2006 11:30 PM
Click here to Send HECK! a Private Message View HECK!'s Journal Find more posts by HECK! Add HECK! to your buddy list Send an AIM message to HECK! Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #3  quote:

I hope he gets it soon, and it doesn't drag out for years and years.

Old Post 03-15-2006 11:44 PM
Click here to Send Whidden a Private Message View Whidden's Journal Find more posts by Whidden Add Whidden to your buddy list Send an AIM message to Whidden Whidden's MSN ID is whidden1@cox.net Click Here to Ignore Whidden REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #4  quote:

Did they go to the needle? When I moved over 14 years ago, it was still the electric chair.

I'm glad they moved to a needle if they did, less barbaric. I want these creeps killed, but I see no reason for torture in electric current. They dont' really deserve a clean death, but still.

Old Post 03-16-2006 12:22 AM

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

Local time: 08:36 PM

post #5  quote:

He should be strapped to the space shuttle and carried into space.

-HECK!

Old Post 03-16-2006 12:31 AM
Click here to Send HECK! a Private Message View HECK!'s Journal Find more posts by HECK! Add HECK! to your buddy list Send an AIM message to HECK! Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #6  quote:

quote:
HECK said this in post #6 :
He should be strapped to the space shuttle and carried into space.

-HECK!

I wouldn't shed a single tear if this was done to him. But still, generally speaking, I don't see any reason to torture these scumbags, just stick a needle in them and have it over with.

Old Post 03-16-2006 12:53 AM

Diamond Member
Inner City Blues
What's Going On

Local time: 11:36 PM

post #7  quote:

I am against the death penalty in all cases, and if it were up to me, I'd have him placed on a deserted island left to fend for himself. It would be his exile and when he dies, no one would know. Nonetheless, I still understand people's support for the death penalty.

I wish we had some teleportation devices, I would send so many people to exile on some far out asteroid in space, that's a far more fitting punishment.

Old Post 03-16-2006 02:27 AM
Click here to Send Inner City Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Inner City Blues Add Inner City Blues to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Inner City Blues REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

USA1
INReview Maven

post #8  quote:

quote:
Inner City Blues said this in post #8 :
I am against the death penalty in all cases, and if it were up to me, I'd have him placed on a deserted island left to fend for himself. It would be his exile and when he dies, no one would know. Nonetheless, I still understand people's support for the death penalty.

I wish we had some teleportation devices, I would send so many people to exile on some far out asteroid in space, that's a far more fitting punishment.

My theory is to use these guys for jobs that nobody will do. Like clean out the old nuclear reactor or something. That way you finally get something useful from them and they die doing their crappy job. I know, this is what Russia does or did.

Frankly, hanging is the best thing for these guys. France used to have the Guillotine, now that was a deterant.

Old Post 03-16-2006 07:09 PM
Click here to Send USA1 a Private Message Find more posts by USA1 Add USA1 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore USA1 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Diamond Member
Inner City Blues
What's Going On

post #9  quote:

quote:
USA1 said this in post #9 :

My theory is to use these guys for jobs that nobody will do. Like clean out the old nuclear reactor or something. That way you finally get something useful from them and they die doing their crappy job. I know, this is what Russia does or did.

I could never support such a punishment, what makes you different from the person that has murdered? You're just making a very calculated decision about how you're going to kill them. What's worse is the use of radiation to kill them. At least on the desert island they have a chance, and perhaps living on survival skills alone will teach them, "Hey maybe Ishouldn't have done what I did back in society."

I still like asteroid exile, there are an endless number in space and you really can't do anything about your situation once there (of course, I'd have some environment for them to survive on those rocks). What would really be interesting is that if your asteroid just happens to be on a collision course with another object...ouch.

quote:
USA1 said this in post #9 :

Frankly, hanging is the best thing for these guys. France used to have the Guillotine, now that was a deterant.

There are some that argue that argue that hanging may be better than lethal injection, but you're still alive for a second or two after execution via guillotine. Nonetheless, how will this be a deterrant? Do you actually believe the death penalty to be a deterrant? Even in societies with public executions people are routinely captured for the same crimes.

Old Post 03-16-2006 07:45 PM
Click here to Send Inner City Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Inner City Blues Add Inner City Blues to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Inner City Blues REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

USA1
INReview Maven

post #10  quote:

quote:
Inner City Blues said this in post #10 :

I could never support such a punishment, what makes you different from the person that has murdered? You're just making a very calculated decision about how you're going to kill them. What's worse is the use of radiation to kill them. At least on the desert island they have a chance, and perhaps living on survival skills alone will teach them, "Hey maybe Ishouldn't have done what I did back in society."

I still like asteroid exile, there are an endless number in space and you really can't do anything about your situation once there (of course, I'd have some environment for them to survive on those rocks). What would really be interesting is that if your asteroid just happens to be on a collision course with another object...ouch.

There are some that argue that argue that hanging may be better than lethal injection, but you're still alive for a second or two after execution via guillotine. Nonetheless, how will this be a deterrant? Do you actually believe the death penalty to be a deterrant? Even in societies with public executions people are routinely captured for the same crimes.

Who still does public executions and look at their ideals. iran, Saudi?

I believe that if our punishements suite the crime, you would have less crime, not more.

Old Post 03-16-2006 07:52 PM
Click here to Send USA1 a Private Message Find more posts by USA1 Add USA1 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore USA1 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Diamond Member
Inner City Blues
What's Going On

post #11  quote:

quote:
USA1 said this in post #11 :

Who still does public executions and look at their ideals. iran, Saudi?

I believe that if our punishements suit the crime, you would have less crime, not more.

I'm of the belief that if you don't want someone coming back to prison, at last try to give them tools so they can do better when they get out. Many career criminals are already troubled from a young age. They've been punished and abused all their life, so punishing them some more won't do anything, punishment can only go so far and death only affects the person you're executing (and their families).

I look at my sister who works in a home for children that have been abused by they're parents. They're taken out of the environment, but some of them just do bad things for no reason. With some of the children, you can tell they'll be in trouble with the law when they get older, no amount of order or punishment will set them straight; will harsher punishments do anything? Probably not as they've been abused all they're life so jail won't be that bad.

'm for harsh punishments, but I think there seems to be an extreme devotion to punishment without regard for the fact that you're releasing these people back into the population.

Note: I'm only talking about prison in general, I think pedophiles should be locked up much longer than they are, many should be put in psychiatric prisons almost indefinitely because I think they're sick. But when they murder, that's just them doing wrong like any killer.

Old Post 03-16-2006 08:10 PM

Gold Member
Whidden
KANSAS LAW DOG

post #12  quote:

I don't really care about the deterrent aspect. Someone who does stuff like this just doesn't deserve being around anymore.

Old Post 03-16-2006 11:03 PM

USA1
INReview Maven

post #13  quote:

quote:
Whidden said this in post #13 :
I don't really care about the deterrent aspect. Someone who does stuff like this just doesn't deserve being around anymore.

Pedophilia is an incurrable problem and the people who do it are the first to admit it. Very few are able to be cured. In knowing that, they need to be put away for ever.... or put them in a room with me for about 20 minutes.

Old Post 03-17-2006 12:58 PM

Diamond Member
Inner City Blues
What's Going On

post #14  quote:

quote:
USA1 said this in post #14 :

Pedophilia is an incurrable problem and the people who do it are the first to admit it. Very few are able to be cured. In knowing that, they need to be put away for ever.... or put them in a room with me for about 20 minutes.

What would you do? It's obvious they're sick, the ones that are the real problem are the ones that kill, they need to be put in jail. I'm not saying ones that don't kill shouldn't be punished, but they need to be put in mental institutions for study so we can better understand how and why it occurs. For some, they develop pedophilia because they were abused as children, so why not try to figure out what triggers these people to attack because that will help us better pick out the latent ones in our society in addition possibly giving better therapy to abused children so they don't become pedophiles when they're older.

Old Post 03-17-2006 05:50 PM

USA1
INReview Maven

post #15  quote:

quote:
Inner City Blues said this in post #15 :

What would you do? It's obvious they're sick, the ones that are the real problem are the ones that kill, they need to be put in jail. I'm not saying ones that don't kill shouldn't be punished, but they need to be put in mental institutions for study so we can better understand how and why it occurs. For some, they develop pedophilia because they were abused as children, so why not try to figure out what triggers these people to attack because that will help us better pick out the latent ones in our society in addition possibly giving better therapy to abused children so they don't become pedophiles when they're older.

I would beat the crap out of them. Just because they deserve no better.
I agree, they should be tested and analysed for future cures.
Those that murder, get death. (my opinion)

Old Post 03-17-2006 06:33 PM

Diamond Member
Inner City Blues
What's Going On

post #16  quote:

quote:
USA1 said this in post #16 :

I would beat the crap out of them. Just because they deserve no better.
I agree, they should be tested and analysed for future cures.
Those that murder, get death. (my opinion)

Understandable. Besides killing them off, I think we agree on this issue.

Old Post 03-17-2006 08:10 PM

USA1
INReview Maven

post #17  quote:

How about, to the brink of death? That works for me too.

Old Post 03-17-2006 11:06 PM
Time: 04:36 AM Post New Thread   
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Politics & Government > Law > Child's killer sentenced to die
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: