Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Culture & Society > Doctor in trouble for calling woman obese
Search this Thread:
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

Local time: 11:37 AM

Doctor in trouble for calling woman obese post #1  quote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9063638/

What kind of idiocy is this? It is a doctor's job to keep his patients healthy. If he calls one of his patients obese and tells her to lose weight, there is a good reason for it. Idiot people. You shouldn't feel hurt, you should feel grateful that your doctor is honest to you.

M.

Old Post 08-25-2005 06:30 PM
Click here to Send adityamahesh a Private Message Find more posts by adityamahesh Add adityamahesh to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore adityamahesh REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

Local time: 02:37 AM

post #2  quote:

I have to agree. If a woman is obese, she's obese. It's a condition. It's not like saying "you're fat, fatty fat fat fat", it's like telling someone they have cancer... or a really, really, really, huge tumor that makes up like 85% of their body weight.

Old Post 08-26-2005 03:26 AM
Click here to Send gaboman a Private Message Find more posts by gaboman Add gaboman to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

post #3  quote:

Yeah, unless the doctor told her she was fat and then made fun of her, or sneered at her, I don't see why he should be in trouble.

M.

Old Post 08-26-2005 04:05 AM
Click here to Send adityamahesh a Private Message Find more posts by adityamahesh Add adityamahesh to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore adityamahesh REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

Local time: 10:37 AM

post #4  quote:

Obesity is a medical problem that can really hurt your lifespan. She should have not taken offense or the action she did. Let's face it. People know that they are overweight. He would have been remiss if he had not told her that she was in danger.

Old Post 08-26-2005 05:07 AM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

post #5  quote:

I am glad his other patients are coming to his defense. One of his previously obese patients said it quite well.

quote:
Other overweight patients have come to Bennett?s defense.

?What really makes me angry is he told the truth,? Mindy Haney told WMUR-TV on Tuesday. ?How can you punish somebody for that??

Haney said Bennett has helped her lose more than 150 pounds, but acknowledged that she initially didn?t want to listen.

?I have been in this lady?s shoes. I?ve been angry and left his practice. I mean, in-my-car-taking-off angry,? Haney said. ?But once you think about it, you?re angry at yourself, not Doctor Bennett. He?s the messenger. He?s telling you what you already know.?

Most of the doctors are quite uncaring as it is. What that woman wants is someone to tell her that everything is fine in Wonderland, until the truth hits her in the form of a heart attack that will require a bypass surgery.

M.

M.

Old Post 08-26-2005 05:12 AM

adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

post #6  quote:

A related article. Big surprise.

M.

Old Post 08-26-2005 05:25 AM

Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

Local time: 01:37 PM

post #7  quote:

what a fat b*tch.

Old Post 08-26-2005 06:20 AM
Click here to Send Dekka00 a Private Message View Dekka00's Journal Visit Dekka00's homepage! Find more posts by Dekka00 Add Dekka00 to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Staff
gaboman
What Would Jack Do?

Local time: 02:37 AM

post #8  quote:

You said it Dekka.

and it wasn't me

Old Post 08-26-2005 06:31 AM
Click here to Send gaboman a Private Message Find more posts by gaboman Add gaboman to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

hazel_dragoneye
[Why Pink?] [Ignore User]

Local time: 06:37 PM

post #9  quote:

I would never want to be a doctor in today's world. Doctors are now fearful of getting sued, possibly fired and are fustrated at paying high malpractice insurance.
This woman wanted more money as I could tell from the article. I feel sorry for this Doctor.

Old Post 08-26-2005 03:13 PM
Click here to Send hazel_dragoneye a Private Message Find more posts by hazel_dragoneye Add hazel_dragoneye to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore hazel_dragoneye REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Flutterbywingz
Taking Flight

post #10  quote:

Total idiocy. The doctor is being sued for being an honest doctor. Obviously, the obese woman was in denial over her obesity and wanted someone else to blame for her own lack of control. The guidelines don't lie. If she falls above a BMI of 30, then she is medically classified as obese. If the doctor would have told her that she was just overweight, he would have been lying and putting her health at risk for not informing her that she is at risk for greater health problems. Then what would have happened next if she would have had a heart attack or was diagnosed with other obesity related conditions: Suing him for medical malpractice?

Old Post 08-26-2005 04:47 PM
Click here to Send Flutterbywingz a Private Message Find more posts by Flutterbywingz Add Flutterbywingz to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Flutterbywingz REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

becker
Definitively Illumined

post #11  quote:

Obesity is truly an illness that most people do not realize they have.

I imagine she was shocked when her Doctor told her the truth for her own benefit.

I see lots of obese people while mall walking and I see how they struggle to not waddle.

I often wonder how they get along in their ordinary living nessecities. I won't go into them, but you get the idea.

I don't know whether to pity these people or not.

Old Post 08-26-2005 09:46 PM
Click here to Send becker a Private Message Find more posts by becker Add becker to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore becker REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

post #12  quote:

Just imagine typing your shoelaces.

M.

Old Post 08-27-2005 12:44 AM
Time: 06:37 PM Post New Thread   
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Culture & Society > Doctor in trouble for calling woman obese
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: