Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Computers & Internet > Technical Support > networking cables
Search this Thread:
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

Local time: 02:25 PM

networking cables post #1  quote:

if anyone knows how to put the heads on a network cable.

ok, i know i have to have them in the same order each end ... sometimes you need to put it backwards, and some other times u need to do somthing called cross-connect, where some of the wires arnt the same as the other side ... i was woindering how i might have to set it up to connect it to a hub and comuter... any help would be great

Old Post 03-02-2005 08:22 PM
Click here to Send flying panda a Private Message View flying panda's Journal Find more posts by flying panda Add flying panda to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore flying panda REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

esskay
Rookie

Local time: 06:25 AM

post #2  quote:

The terminations are the same on a cable connecting a PC to a hub/switch.

Old Post 03-03-2005 02:58 AM
Find more posts by esskay Add esskay to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore esskay REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #3  quote:

thank you (is that your website bob?

Old Post 03-03-2005 06:07 AM
Click here to Send flying panda a Private Message View flying panda's Journal Find more posts by flying panda Add flying panda to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore flying panda REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

chodder
INRH4xx0r^

Local time: 09:25 AM

post #4  quote:

Doubt it. But hopefully it worked cus' I have no clue what your talking about with these cables and such ....

Old Post 03-03-2005 06:28 AM
Click here to Send chodder a Private Message Visit chodder's homepage! Find more posts by chodder Add chodder to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore chodder REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #5  quote:

i understand it, there are 8 wires within the larger wire. the 8 have to be connect the same way on either end (i heard somewhere the wires need to be the opposite way round on the other end eg. if on the left on one side there was blue, and on the right there was grrn say. the green would be on theleft and the blue on the right?)

Old Post 03-03-2005 06:36 AM

Larke2000
INReview Maven

post #6  quote:

quote:
chodder said this in post #5 :
Doubt it. But hopefully it worked cus' I have no clue what your talking about with these cables and such ....

chodder: the wires that are "crossed over" are the TX (transmit) and RX (receive) so that when you connect two computers together the transmit from comp 1 goes to the receive on comp2 and vice versa. otherwise they would each be transmitting on the same line and trying to receive on the same line. a hub/router/switch would handle this for you and when building the cables yourself you don't need to make a "crossover" cable unless you are directly connecting two computers together.

Old Post 03-17-2005 07:47 PM
Click here to Send Larke2000 a Private Message Find more posts by Larke2000 Add Larke2000 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Larke2000 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #7  quote:

thanks, ... i think i have it sorted now, thanks for the advice everyone (im the only one still on dia-up Im getting a wire though, which turns out to be twice as fast wire-less ... so the wait will hopfully be worth it

Old Post 03-17-2005 08:26 PM

Larke2000
INReview Maven

post #8  quote:

panda: don't forget that although wireless is 1/2 the speed (unless you get the dual channel 54Mbs which effectively operates at 108Mbs) you really won't notice a difference online because you're still limited to your dsl or cable download speed. the only time you'll see a difference is if you transfer a lot of files on your home network. then the difference between 54Mbs and 100Mbs can save you some time moving big files. so if you don't transfer many files then you can get an 11Mbs wireless setup relatively cheap.

Old Post 03-17-2005 09:24 PM
Click here to Send Larke2000 a Private Message Find more posts by Larke2000 Add Larke2000 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Larke2000 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
flying panda
HPFanaticINR

post #9  quote:

the two computers that are wireless, use this belkin wireless usb thing, its really neat, you just plug it in, and it basically does the rest, all you have to do it set up the account for the person ... not intirely sure how that bit works, im not accually putting it in.

Old Post 03-17-2005 09:42 PM
Time: 02:25 PM Post New Thread   
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Computers & Internet > Technical Support > networking cables
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: