Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Computers & Internet > Technical Support > Question about JumpDrives
Search this Thread:
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Anomaly77
Mastermind

Local time: 08:53 PM

Question about JumpDrives post #1  quote:

I just got a JumpDrive by Lexar. It is a handy little way to carry around important data and I am so enthused. Then it occurred to me...I have my resume on there and hypothetically, if I lost my keys, my address is therefore available to whoever found them! So, I would like to know if there is a way to put a password on the files/folders on the JumpDrive, or the drive itself. I went to Lexar's site but didn't find anything. Can anyone help me out with this? THANK YOU!

Old Post 02-03-2005 10:23 PM
Click here to Send Anomaly77 a Private Message Find more posts by Anomaly77 Add Anomaly77 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Anomaly77 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Sierradaddy
Days of Future Past...

Local time: 07:53 PM

post #2  quote:

Unless you got the JumpDrive Secure, you're probably out of luck. The JumpDrive Secure comes with pre-loaded security software, and you can add a password to it so that your stored information remains safe.

I'm not sure why they didn't add that to ALL their USB flash drives.... Logic dictates, but nobody listens..........

Old Post 02-03-2005 11:16 PM
Click here to Send Sierradaddy a Private Message Find more posts by Sierradaddy Add Sierradaddy to your buddy list Sierradaddy's MSN ID is smoothline98@hotmail.com Reply w/Quote

Anomaly77
Mastermind

post #3  quote:

quote:
Sierradaddy said this in post #2 :
Unless you got the JumpDrive Secure, you're probably out of luck. The JumpDrive Secure comes with pre-loaded security software, and you can add a password to it so that your stored information remains safe.

I'm not sure why they didn't add that to ALL their USB flash drives.... Logic dictates, but nobody listens..........

Thanks! Logic would dictate that this should be on all the jumpdrives...I wonder if there is any security software that can be added to it.

Old Post 02-04-2005 12:29 AM
Click here to Send Anomaly77 a Private Message Find more posts by Anomaly77 Add Anomaly77 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Anomaly77 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

Local time: 06:53 PM

post #4  quote:

You can encrypt the data with an RSA encryption program. Of course, then everytime you want to use it you will have to decrypt it, but since RSA is foolproof, you can be assured that noone who doesn't have the public or private encryption keys will be able to access your files.

M.

Old Post 02-04-2005 12:31 AM
Click here to Send adityamahesh a Private Message Find more posts by adityamahesh Add adityamahesh to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore adityamahesh REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Anomaly77
Mastermind

post #5  quote:

quote:
adityamahesh said this in post #4 :
You can encrypt the data with an RSA encryption program. Of course, then everytime you want to use it you will have to decrypt it, but since RSA is foolproof, you can be assured that noone who doesn't have the public or private encryption keys will be able to access your files.

M.

Thanks! I assume though, that if I wanted to open the file on someone else's computer, they would need to have this encryption program to decrypt it, right? I'm not familiar with RSA encryption.

Old Post 02-04-2005 06:05 PM

adityamahesh
Definitively Illumined

Local time: 06:53 PM

post #6  quote:

Although I never had the need to use RSA encryption, the programs are quite small, and you carry the setup files around with you.

Ofcourse, it is a pain in the butt, especially if you are using it everyday.

M.

Old Post 02-04-2005 08:49 PM
Click here to Send adityamahesh a Private Message Find more posts by adityamahesh Add adityamahesh to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore adityamahesh REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Anomaly77
Mastermind

post #7  quote:

Thanks for the advice. I will look into this.

Old Post 02-04-2005 09:37 PM
Time: 01:53 AM Post New Thread   
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Computers & Internet > Technical Support > Question about JumpDrives
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: