Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Culture & Society > This is scary...
Search this Thread:
Pages (2):  [1] 2 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
chelktty
In the Now Guru

Local time: 04:29 AM

This is scary... post #1  quote:

Wrom:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004...ain602415.shtml

(CBS) Anne Frank died at the hands of the brutal Nazis and left behind a world-famous diary in which she wrote of love and peace.

Today, she would be devastated to know that her book is being corrupted by another brutal regime, North Korea, to incite its youth to hatred and war with America.

Correspondent Mike Wallace's report on the teaching of ?The Diary of Anne Frank? in North Korea's schools will be broadcast on 60 Minutes, Sunday, Feb. 29, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

It's shocking to Dutch television reporter Miriam Bartelsman, who went to Pyongyang, North Korea, and interviewed students there studying the book.

"Anne Frank's diary is a big plea...for freedom and for peace, but I think in North Korea, the diary is being used to promote war," she tells Wallace.

In the North Korean junior high schools' teaching of the book, the Nazis, who killed Frank and made war on the world, have a modern mirror image -- the United States -- and Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler has a successor -- George W. Bush.

"As long as the warmonger Bush and the Nazi Americans live, who are worse than Hitler's fascists, world peace will be impossible to achieve," a North Korean schoolgirl says to Bartelsman.

"The Americans enjoy war...it's part of their nature," says a boy.

The concentration camps where Frank died have American descendants, too. "As long as there are American Nazis, there will be secret places where innocent people are murdered. Places like that exist in America," says another.

The children are also being taught that war with America is inevitable and that they don't want to end up like Frank because she was weak.

"She didn't win. She was not a hero," Bartelsman says the students believe. "They are learning, the children, 'We all want to be a hero and we don't want to be killed.'"

Americans or "imperialists" will kill them, they believe, but not if they can be stronger than Frank was. "Our students will fight with a pen in one hand and a weapon in the other until the last American is dead," says a female student.

The children, sons and daughters of the country's elite, didn't seem to know that upwards of a million of their fellow citizens are in slave labor camps or that much of the populace living outside their city is undernourished.

After several days in North Korea, Bartelsman came to this conclusion: "I think all of those people are kind of prisoners in their own country.?

If they are prisoners, their warden is dictator Kim Jong-Il, in whose honor and at whose request the students read the book. "Our beloved general sent Anne Frank's book to every student," a girl says.

"According to our respected leader, Kim Jong-Il, "The Diary of Anne Frank" is one of the great classics of the world,? says another student. ?That is why we read the diary, out of great respect for our leader Kim Jong-Il."

The whole business is an outrage to Buddy Elias, Frank's cousin and her last remaining direct relative. He gave permission to North Korea to publish the book.

"We were not told that [the book] will be misused in schools. We had no idea," says Elias. "If Anne Frank knew what North Korea was doing with her diary, she would weep."

The country, he says, reminds him of Nazi Germany. "I lived through the Hitler time and [North Korea] is just exactly the same," says Elias.

"There were so many slogans [in Nazi Germany: 'One leader.' 'Our leader. Heil Hitler'...[It's the] same thing [in North Korea].?

? MMIII, CBS Worldwide Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Old Post 02-27-2004 06:01 PM
Click here to Send chelktty a Private Message Find more posts by chelktty Add chelktty to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore chelktty REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

post #2  quote:

while I'm not condoning what North Korea is doing with that book, I do expect them to stand up for themselves.

I guess the question is, is what they're doing any worse than what we're doing?

Old Post 02-27-2004 07:19 PM
Click here to Send Dekka00 a Private Message View Dekka00's Journal Visit Dekka00's homepage! Find more posts by Dekka00 Add Dekka00 to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

chelktty
In the Now Guru

post #3  quote:

Interesting question Dekka. But I don't think that the schools in the U.S. are teaching kids that all North Koreans are Nazis who will inevitably try to kills us.
But then again, it has been quite a while since I was in school so you never know.

Old Post 02-27-2004 07:25 PM
Click here to Send chelktty a Private Message Find more posts by chelktty Add chelktty to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore chelktty REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

post #4  quote:

yeah, I guess it is worse. But it's only a baby step from what we're doing.

Old Post 02-28-2004 08:59 AM
Click here to Send Dekka00 a Private Message View Dekka00's Journal Visit Dekka00's homepage! Find more posts by Dekka00 Add Dekka00 to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

j.p.s.
Veteran

american schools post #5  quote:

Ok so they took a book and there using it to curropt there youth into a false belief. Who cares? Are you honestly surprised by this? If they saw a use to us the bible to make the americans out to be evil they would.

American schools suck when it comes to teaching there pupils about the world, i mean it's all America is good the world is evil. I mean the education there public education atleast is so awful they did random testing and found that only 35% of highschool students could name all 50 states. I mean shoot we had tests on that in jr. high in american history. The education system there needs a seious boost with better monitoring of who is teaching these kids with real programs.

When asked this simple question 97% answered wrong, "who's were the first peoples to inhabit the america's"

78% said christopher columbus

right answer, native american crossed the bearing straight and lived here for centuries before europeans.

columbus is a bad answer anyways cause the vikings were here 600-800 years before he made his epic journey.

What scares me was when my cousins came here to live from the states and it took them a year to catch up cause the math they were working on in grade 9 my sister was working on in grade 6 .

sorry if this offends you, but really the school systems there need serious work.

Old Post 03-16-2004 08:38 PM
Click here to Send j.p.s. a Private Message Find more posts by j.p.s. Add j.p.s. to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore j.p.s. REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

post #6  quote:

you're definitely right. I don't know if it works the same in other states or not, but in Virginia the Board of Education issues state-wide curriculum, leaving like 3 weeks of material up to the teachers. And then they measure how good the students are doing by making up stupid standardized tests and crunching numbers to make meaningless statistics.

I got to college and had a hippy English teacher who pointed out the bad things we've done in our history. Said something about Bush, a valid criticism, not just name-calling. And one girl spoke up and said "You can't say that about him! He's the PRESIDENT!" ????? That's the exact reason freedom of speech exists! So people can criticize the government without fear!

Old Post 03-16-2004 08:51 PM

j.p.s.
Veteran

exactly my point post #7  quote:

I mean your four fathers created a government where you don't have a single leader with all the power you have congress which is like the president is the kid wanting to do this that and the other and congress is there to make sure it nevergets outta hand.

I mean most people don't even kow why there is an amendment that gives the people to bare arms..... For those who don't after the war of independance there was mass fear that England would attack again so they wanted to be sure that every american had arms up the ying yang in that event, guess what guys England hasn't come yet and isn't going to!!!

I mean the wake up call Americans get when they start to travel the world freely is scary suddenly it's not so one sided.

Old Post 03-16-2004 09:07 PM
Click here to Send j.p.s. a Private Message Find more posts by j.p.s. Add j.p.s. to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore j.p.s. REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

j.p.s.
Veteran

example post #8  quote:

Students in at a highschool in utah were asked to point out five places in the world.

2 us citys, oregon and telehasse (capital of florida)
1 state, ohio
then were asked to point out two other countries
1.Afghanistan
2.Iraq

60% could name one of the two citys 20% got both 20% had no idea

35% found ohio (i was surprised that many could)

85% knew exactly where afghanistan is

93% knew where iraq is

one final questions was added at the end...

what is the capital of iraq 81% knew baghdad.

tell me this where are the priorities of these teachers? they know all about countries the states is at war with but they couldn't find a state in your own country. Honestly art that point i felt sad for them, it's pathetic. Now i might have to move to Virginia, all i know is if i'm living there and i get married and have kids only private schools for my kids and i'm going to be 100% involved with em' . Cause that is just scary to me.

Old Post 03-16-2004 09:20 PM

Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

post #9  quote:

umm... I think private schools may be even worse in that department... (I don't know, maybe)

the problem is that people learn more from watching TV, not from school.

Old Post 03-16-2004 09:27 PM

j.p.s.
Veteran

the problem post #10  quote:

School aren't teaching enough, yep that is sad. Cnn is teaching more than schools. what i wanna know is what's going on 8 hours a day in these classes and i hate these teachers sending every other kid out to get tested for A.D.D. i mean i would be on meds too if i had to sit there day after day unchallenged. Let's over medicated the kids while we teach them nothing.....so sad

Old Post 03-16-2004 09:33 PM

schmiggens
Outrageous

Local time: 05:29 PM

post #11  quote:

quote:
The concentration camps where Frank died have American descendants, too. "As long as there are American Nazis, there will be secret places where innocent people are murdered. Places like that exist in America," says another.

You guys have that camp for terrorist, Guantanamo Bay, or something. That is supposed to be like a concentration camp.

There is heaps of stuff on the news here about that place, there is an Aussie being held there and the storys we hear about how he has been treated in the three years he has been held there without being charged and without evidence does remind me of a Nazi camp.

And I guess I can see some similarity between Bush and Hitler, except Hitler was smart and Bush is a bumbling idiot.

Still, that is a very narrowminded view for Korea to have, they should not be teaching that America is bad and then doing the same things that they say America should not do.

That is just hypocrsiy and I despise hypocrisy.

Old Post 03-17-2004 05:16 AM
Click here to Send schmiggens a Private Message Visit schmiggens's homepage! Find more posts by schmiggens Add schmiggens to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore schmiggens REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

j.p.s.
Veteran

lol post #12  quote:

you make a good point about the prisoners. that can be compared to a concetration camp since they have been given' no rights. Wonde what would happen if a country did that to 100 Americans

Old Post 03-17-2004 05:39 AM

Anomaly77
Mastermind

post #13  quote:

quote:
"As long as the warmonger Bush and the Nazi Americans live, who are worse than Hitler's fascists, world peace will be impossible to achieve," a North Korean schoolgirl says to Bartelsman. "The Americans enjoy war...it's part of their nature," says a boy.

This part bothers me the most. While it may be true for some, it is a terrible generalization. They should know that the majority of the voting population in the US, did not vote for president Bush. They should know about the peace protests in the 60s, conscientious objectors, and that not all Americans support or enjoy war. I am not saying that this war on terror was unnecessary. I am offering no official, personal opinion; just that to generalize all Americans as mentioned above is scary.

Old Post 03-27-2004 07:56 PM
Click here to Send Anomaly77 a Private Message Find more posts by Anomaly77 Add Anomaly77 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Anomaly77 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

j.p.s.
Veteran

war on terror? post #14  quote:

this war hasn't affected terrorism it's a joke and the biggest waste of money in human history, all we've done is proved that we have absolutely no idea what we're doing. All the invasion of afghanistan did was replavce a society of warlords with new warlords....and iraq is the laughing stock of the world, instead of taking down terrorists we sent americans over to be slaughtered not in mass amounts at a time but it's adding up And where is those wmd? yay! we got saddam....a nobody to begin with he had nothing left to fight with as was proven' but stratigicly no we've put soldiers in harms way and they don't have a chance fighting by the rules of engagement. there just bait for suicide bombers now.

In effect we've help the terrorists as much as anything.

As for the government of the united states, a commity was created for anti-terror vice president dick channy is the "leader" it's met twice since 9/11 and bush never showed up to either meeting nor has channy.

bush is a joke and so is his administration, i just want to know when powell will start to laugh or cry for he's surrounded by idiots.

Old Post 03-28-2004 05:49 AM

Staff
HECK!
Bluto

Local time: 01:29 AM

post #15  quote:

Yeah, let them bring their Commie B.S. below the parallel and we'll see what's up then.

-HECK!

Old Post 03-30-2004 06:19 PM
Click here to Send HECK! a Private Message View HECK!'s Journal Find more posts by HECK! Add HECK! to your buddy list Send an AIM message to HECK! Reply w/Quote

j.p.s.
Veteran

dude! post #16  quote:

if the korea's go to war it's not going to be with only tanks and guns nukes will fly and the fall out will be devestating that's what makes it a total stalemate.

Old Post 03-31-2004 03:15 AM

MrJukoVette
In the Now Guru

post #17  quote:

Such . Guys, grow up.

Old Post 04-16-2004 06:50 PM
Click here to Send MrJukoVette a Private Message Find more posts by MrJukoVette Add MrJukoVette to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore MrJukoVette REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

j.p.s.
Veteran

laugh post #18  quote:

quote:
Yeah, let them bring their Commie B.S. below the parallel and we'll see what's up then.

i couldn't be a commie, i like my families wealth far to much. I don't beleave the communist dream is possible. But i did learn it in school in society when we studied different forms of politics. funny where did i say i bleaved and was a communist? That's just another stupid thing to say when you have nothing to add to a debate.

In it's orginal form communism is an amazing dream....no poverty everyone living for the betterment of society everyones is equal...but **** that i want all the money....why should i work my ass off and have the same as someone who doe's nothing.

good dream but not for me.

Old Post 04-18-2004 06:07 PM

VersaStone
Banned

Local time: 03:29 AM

post #19  quote:

Can't help noticing the thread was started as a piece about Ms. Frank and what NK did with it.

How true it is that no matter what the topic, it always comes back to how "Bad" America is. But that's ok. Next time some group or other want's to make military inroads into France, Australia, SE Asia, Africa, or anywhere else, Who will cry loudest when the USA tells those folks they are on their own this time... no more American blood to stop terrorism, fascism, Communism, or any other group who wants to make the rest of you folks eat dirt. We can pick up our marbles and let you folks have it your way if you like. Then you can complain to your captors : "If only the Americans would come... they'd show ya."
But it's all good. At least America stands up and is counted with our friends, even when they like to try and slap us on the face.

Old Post 09-10-2004 08:40 PM
Click here to Send VersaStone a Private Message Find more posts by VersaStone Add VersaStone to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore VersaStone REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

becker
Definitively Illumined

Your mind works well post #20  quote:

quote:
VersaStone said this in post #19 :
Can't help noticing the thread was started as a piece about Ms. Frank and what NK did with it.

How true it is that no matter what the topic, it always comes back to how "Bad" America is. But that's ok. Next time some group or other want's to make military inroads into France, Australia, SE Asia, Africa, or anywhere else, Who will cry loudest when the USA tells those folks they are on their own this time... no more American blood to stop terrorism, fascism, Communism, or any other group who wants to make the rest of you folks eat dirt. We can pick up our marbles and let you folks have it your way if you like. Then you can complain to your captors : "If only the Americans would come... they'd show ya."
But it's all good. At least America stands up and is counted with our friends, even when they like to try and slap us on the face.

That's telling it like it is!!!

Old Post 09-10-2004 08:56 PM
Click here to Send becker a Private Message Find more posts by becker Add becker to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore becker REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

post #21  quote:

but who will come to the rescue when America becomes a police state?

that's what I'm afraid of

Old Post 09-10-2004 08:59 PM

VersaStone
Banned

Local time: 03:29 AM

post #22  quote:

Why are you afraid? If you truly believe that is where we are headed, and you don't want to be there,

--------------------------->
There's the border. Try Mexico for a while. (Then come back legally of course.)

Old Post 09-10-2004 10:24 PM
Click here to Send VersaStone a Private Message Find more posts by VersaStone Add VersaStone to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore VersaStone REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

post #23  quote:

I am not going to flee my country I am going to stay and fight.

Old Post 09-10-2004 10:52 PM

becker
Definitively Illumined

post #24  quote:

quote:
Dekka00 said this in post #23 :
I am not going to flee my country I am going to stay and fight.

Old Post 09-10-2004 10:59 PM
Click here to Send becker a Private Message Find more posts by becker Add becker to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore becker REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

raven200
Mastermind

Local time: 09:29 AM

post #25  quote:

See this is exactly what Bush and his cronies want, they want the whole American nation to beleive that they are at war and that America is hated and that they are only at war so that they can defend thier country.......

Well excuse me but it's a bit late to talk about defence when you yourself have become the agressors.....

After 911, ok America went in Afghanistan to capture alqaida and Mr Osama bin Laden, no one would argue with that.... That could be considered self defence...

But where is Osama bin Laden why has he not been caught and what in hell did Saddam Hussan have to do with 911????

Your nation is being raveged by lies being fed to you like the Koreans are being brainwashed, the same is going on in America....

A false sense of danger is being created so that the nation will go along with the crazy president and his loony parties campaign to devour world oil and at the same time show America's arrogance that it is the world's strongest military nation.......

The rest of the World does not hate America, what we don't like is Arrogance and boy is thier so much arrogance floating around at your end of the World......

All that Bush is doing is creating an unstable society not just in America but in the whole world, and it only takes one loony to trigger another looney to press the silly red button....

You guys have the power to make a difference this election, I hope and pray to God you doo.....

Other wise Bush will keep you trapped in America forever and you won't have Holidays abroad again because you'd be too terrified that every other person is a terrorist and is out to hurt you.......

Old Post 10-19-2004 12:24 PM
Click here to Send raven200 a Private Message Find more posts by raven200 Add raven200 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore raven200 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

becker
Definitively Illumined

post #26  quote:

You may be correct...but Kerry would be worse..............

Old Post 10-19-2004 02:57 PM

hazel_dragoneye
[Why Pink?] [Ignore User]

Local time: 09:29 AM

Re: the problem post #27  quote:

quote:
j.p.s. said this in post #10 :
School aren't teaching enough, yep that is sad.

I maybe am reiterating what one person on this forum has said but, schools are brainwashing children and the corporate world still thinks that the average worker is stupid and does not inform him at what they are doing. For my job assignment in Human services, I walked into a high school in Tulsa, Oklahoma about a year ago and was assigned to ask a couple of questions about history and science. I asked these questions:

1.) What does it mean when the enemy asks you to 'Strike your colors'?

2.) What is friction?

3.) What case gave the right of Mandamus?

4.) Who is Paris Hilton and what video did she make?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I asked 1,000 students and here is what i got:

1.) 10% knew what it meant to strike your colors.

2.) 40% knew what friction was.

3.) 10% knew what case gave the right to Mandamus.

4.) 95% knew who Paris Hilton was and what video she made.

Does that give you proof that these kids do not read or even care about their school work.

'Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo'- H.G Wells

Old Post 11-28-2004 02:06 AM
Click here to Send hazel_dragoneye a Private Message Find more posts by hazel_dragoneye Add hazel_dragoneye to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore hazel_dragoneye REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

becker
Definitively Illumined

post #28  quote:

Yep......It's not a pretty picture. they are in training for Hourly minimum wage jobs.

But I feel sure there will be some that rise above the uncaring multitude.

The few will be our future.

Old Post 11-28-2004 02:26 AM

gaoxiaen
Veteran

Local time: 05:29 PM

Re: american schools post #29  quote:

quote:
j.p.s. said this in post #5 :
Ok so they took a book and there using it to curropt there youth into a false belief. Who cares? Are you honestly surprised by this? If they saw a use to us the bible to make the americans out to be evil they would.

American schools suck when it comes to teaching there pupils about the world, i mean it's all America is good the world is evil. I mean the education there public education atleast is so awful they did random testing and found that only 35% of highschool students could name all 50 states. I mean shoot we had tests on that in jr. high in american history. The education system there needs a seious boost with better monitoring of who is teaching these kids with real programs.

When asked this simple question 97% answered wrong, "who's were the first peoples to inhabit the america's"

78% said christopher columbus

right answer, native american crossed the bearing straight and lived here for centuries before europeans.

columbus is a bad answer anyways cause the vikings were here 600-800 years before he made his epic journey.

What scares me was when my cousins came here to live from the states and it took them a year to catch up cause the math they were working on in grade 9 my sister was working on in grade 6 .

sorry if this offends you, but really the school systems there need serious work.

Seems they're not too good with English either.

Old Post 11-29-2004 12:51 AM
Click here to Send gaoxiaen a Private Message Find more posts by gaoxiaen Add gaoxiaen to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore gaoxiaen REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Anomaly77
Mastermind

post #30  quote:

From the US Immigration and Naturalization Website:

Below are a few sample questions from the US Citizenship Test:
How many stars are there in our flag?
What color are the stars on our flag?
What do the stars on the flag mean?
How many stripes are there in the flag?
What date is the Day of Independence?
Independence from whom?
What country did we fight during the revolutionary war?
Who was the first president of the United States?
What do we call a change of the constitution?

How did you do?

Old Post 01-04-2005 12:38 AM
Click here to Send Anomaly77 a Private Message Find more posts by Anomaly77 Add Anomaly77 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Anomaly77 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote
Time: 09:29 AM Post New Thread   
Pages (2):  [1] 2 »   Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Culture & Society > This is scary...
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: