Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Computers & Internet > CTEA is Evil
Search this Thread:
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
esskay
Rookie

Local time: 01:13 PM

CTEA is Evil post #1  quote:

A journalist that I used to work with, Dan Gillmor writes that the Copyright Term Extension Act (CTEA, aka the "Sonny Bono Act") of 1998, which was recently upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court when challenged, is no better than legalized "copyright theft". He states that, "Endlessly greedy media barons will now collect billions from works that should have long since entered the public domain."

And while I must say that I disagree with the act itself and, as I've already pointed out, long-term copyrights on creative works in general, I think that going so far as to call it theft and criminal and point the finger at the copyright holders just isn't right. The fact is that the law makes it okay - thus nobody who takes advantage of the law to its fullest is in the wrong. What's wrong is the law itself.

I say fight the law, make a case against that, not against those who operate within it. The law applies to everyone in the country, not just those select few who you choose to highlight as examples of purveyors of the law.

Old Post 01-16-2003 05:48 PM
Find more posts by esskay Add esskay to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore esskay REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Buddy Short
Qualified Rookie

Local time: 09:13 PM

post #2  quote:

quote:
Sometimes I worry that people are oblivious to anything but immediate gratification, but I also sense that the public is beginning to grasp the scale of corruption that has led to incessant copyright extensions -- and will see the risks in even more theft from what should belong to all of us.

He speaks of immediate gratification as though it were a bad thing, when the theme of his post is to provide immediate gratification to those who wish to use copyrighted material NOW for free.

What's another 20 years in the grand scheme of America's heritage? Mozart's work is public domain now - would 20 years have made any bit of difference? I'm certain we (those seeking immediate gratification FROM copyright protected arts) wouldn't be complaining now.

Far as I'm concerned, it's owned by someone else and they should have say when it becomes public domain.

Old Post 01-17-2003 06:22 PM
Click here to Send Buddy Short a Private Message Visit Buddy Short's homepage! Find more posts by Buddy Short Add Buddy Short to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Buddy Short REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote
Time: 09:13 PM Post New Thread   
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Computers & Internet > CTEA is Evil
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: