Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Sports & Recreation > Automotive > Modifications and customization
Search this Thread:
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Gold Member
Edward Teach
Blackbeard

Local time: 11:54 AM

Modifications and customization post #1  quote:

As long as there have been cars people have modified them. Body, interior, engine, exhaust, tires and more. I can remember going to car shows as a kid. One of the best car customizers I remember as a kid was a man called the Egyption. He would chop and weld and had the best paint jobs and won all the awards. Don't know whatever happened to that guy. Today I see the young guys are still customizing their cars. Wings, lights, tinting and of course Tires and Wheels.

My car growing up was a 1966 Olds F-85, it had a slip slide turbo glide trany, 330 cubes, 2 barrel automatic. My mods were Chrome wheels wide RWL (raised white letter) polyglass tires, dual exhaust with Cherry Bomb mufflers. Fastest I got it in a street race was 119 mph in a race against a 1965 Chevelle, he had a 327 cubic inch, 4 brl carb, 3 speed on the tree. We were even until we came up on a car in my lane. At 119 mph I had no choice but to slow down and let him go.

Old Post 05-15-2003 08:07 PM
Click here to Send Edward Teach a Private Message View Edward Teach's Journal Visit Edward Teach's homepage! Find more posts by Edward Teach Add Edward Teach to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Edward Teach REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Edward Teach
Blackbeard

post #2  quote:

Here's a mod that I once read about and thought about doing years ago. Only works as far as I know on the older type carburetors.

Ever wonder why your car seems to run better on damp rainy days? It's because there is more moisture in the air and that equates to more oxygen in the air which equates to more horsepower. (I think that's the reason they gave)

Water Injection
Some of these can be picked up at a junk yard.
Basically it requires a small 12 volt liquid pump (possibly a windshield washer pump), a switch, a surplus vacuum advance, something to hold some water, some copper tubing, some vacuum tubing and a T. connect the vacuum advance into your vacuum system with the T connection so that it causes the switch to activate the pump. The pump will pump water thru the copper tubing which is blocked off but has a pin hole over the carburator. Basically squirting a fine mist of water into the carburator. Why use the vacuum advance, because it will only actuate the plump when you give it the gas. You don't need to be squirting the water in all the time. What is the result? A little boost to your horsepower.

Old Post 05-15-2003 10:04 PM
Click here to Send Edward Teach a Private Message View Edward Teach's Journal Visit Edward Teach's homepage! Find more posts by Edward Teach Add Edward Teach to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Edward Teach REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Delta
Stormy Weather

post #3  quote:

Look, I know I don't belong on this thread but I had to comment on the statement you made about the car running better on a rainy day. EEEK!!! My Lincoln Towncar doesn't like to get wet! It cuts dead, dead wherever it wants to.

Now we use the gas guzzling SUV Chev Tahoe. This Car/Truck gos in rain heat . sleet ( we don't get much snow down here in the South.) Don't care about the gas, do care about getting where we are going without incident.
I don't understand one thing else that you are talking about.
figures, I am an artist not a mechanic. Oh well takes all to make the world.
Good luck.
Lata

Old Post 05-16-2003 07:54 PM
Click here to Send Delta a Private Message Find more posts by Delta Add Delta to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Delta REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
Edward Teach
Blackbeard

post #4  quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Delta
Look, I know I don't belong on this thread but I had to comment on the statement you made about the car running better on a rainy day. EEEK!!! My Lincoln Towncar doesn't like to get wet! It cuts dead, dead wherever it wants to.

Now we use the gas guzzling SUV Chev Tahoe. This Car/Truck gos in rain heat . sleet ( we don't get much snow down here in the South.) Don't care about the gas, do care about getting where we are going without incident.
I don't understand one thing else that you are talking about.
figures, I am an artist not a mechanic. Oh well takes all to make the world.
Good luck.
Lata
Concerning your Towncar. That is a problem where most likely moisture is getting into the distributor. I would suspect also since that has happened that now your contacts in there have arced. A good mechanic should be able to fix that. Now if the car won't even turn over then it could be a computer problem.

Old Post 05-16-2003 08:14 PM

Gold Member
Delta
Stormy Weather

post #5  quote:

Thanks Ron, but I should have said Towncar used to cut dead. NOw it is somone elses problem. Do appreciate your answer, and wil ruck it awsy for future reference.
Lata

Old Post 05-16-2003 08:56 PM
Click here to Send Delta a Private Message Find more posts by Delta Add Delta to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Delta REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote
Time: 04:54 PM Post New Thread   
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Sports & Recreation > Automotive > Modifications and customization
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: