Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Culture & Society > HaZiNg SuiT
Search this Thread:
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
babyk089
Crackerjack

Local time: 12:50 AM

HaZiNg SuiT post #1  quote:

Do you think that it's fair for the girls that made the decision to get hazed to sue the people hazing them? Hazing goes on at my high school between sophmores and freshman...and it is a decision you make wether to get hazed or not. I think it is a way to become accepted, but not a good way. I think the Hazing suit going on right now isn't right, but the hazing was taken too far. At my school, gross stuff is poured all over the freshman by the sophmores and the freshman have to yell "I love the sophmores" I think it's degrating. Yet after all this, the freshman take a shower and go to a party with the sophmores. What do you think?

Old Post 05-08-2003 08:37 PM
Click here to Send babyk089 a Private Message Find more posts by babyk089 Add babyk089 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore babyk089 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

chelktty
In the Now Guru

Local time: 01:50 AM

post #2  quote:

Which hazing suit are you referring to?
I agree that while some students condone themselves to be hazed by fellow students as a right of passage and form of acceptance, that there are stipulations that might barr such lawsuits to take place. However when hazing goes too far, rather than a simple humilitation it turns into criminal assualt; (see culteral thread "Powder Puff Hazing turns ugly") where students are physically, emotionally and mentally abused to the point of needing medical assistance, I believe it is no longer a matter of fun and games, nor a right of passage and acceptance. At that point it becomes a criminal act, which would constitute criminal charges and yes, liability for lawsuits.

Old Post 05-09-2003 06:39 PM
Click here to Send chelktty a Private Message Find more posts by chelktty Add chelktty to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore chelktty REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

babyk089
Crackerjack

post #3  quote:

yeah umm this one was somewhere in texas. im not sure i didnt see the whole news story.

Old Post 05-09-2003 10:42 PM
Click here to Send babyk089 a Private Message Find more posts by babyk089 Add babyk089 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore babyk089 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Marc Flemming
Renovator

Local time: 10:50 PM

Post Parent Hires Attorney Over Alleged H.S. Hazing post #4  quote:

NORTHBROOK, Ill. -- NBC5's Anna Davlantes obtained exclusive video of an event that led to a criminal investigation into students at Glenbrook North High School. Five students were injured in an annual initiation ritual that reportedly started off as a "powder puff" football game between seniors and juniors at the north suburban school.

Anna Davlantes reported live with exclusive video of the hazing.

"This alleged hazing was so bad that authorities are considering possible criminal charges," Davlantes said.

At least one parent hired an attorney because of medical expenses for her daughter's injuries from the event.

The video obtained by NBC5 showed how quickly a homecoming tradition between senior and junior girls became rough and ugly when, witnesses said, the seniors forced the junior girls to eat dirt, fish guts and pet food. Then the video showed that the juniors were kicked around and had human excrement poured on top of them.

Five girls were sent to the hospital, one with a broken ankle.

Some of the girls who were present at the alleged hazing told Vatis on Tuesday morning that they thought this year's event got out of hand but was "not that different from previous years."

"It had absolutely nothing to do with Glenbrook North High School," said Dr. Michael Riggle, principal of the school. "It is not sanctioned by the school."

Riggle said that in the past, when school officials were able to find out about the planned event, they stepped in to stop it.

Exclusive Video: http://cf.nbc5.com/chi/sh/videoplay...82945&owner=chi

Source: NBC5 News

Old Post 05-12-2003 11:47 PM
Click here to Send Marc Flemming a Private Message View Marc Flemming's Journal Visit Marc Flemming's homepage! Find more posts by Marc Flemming Add Marc Flemming to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

Amanda111
Rookie

Local time: 03:50 PM

post #5  quote:

I think this is a really pathetic thing to have happened. From a football game to being force fed pet food and fish guts. What the hell is this world coming to?!

Old Post 08-01-2003 04:15 PM
Click here to Send Amanda111 a Private Message Find more posts by Amanda111 Add Amanda111 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Amanda111 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Diamond Member
Lawless
All About Brad!

Local time: 10:50 PM

post #6  quote:

Kids are idiots, and if this is where you get your kicks, than there is really something wrong with the way that you're being raised. I would have NEVER allowed anyone to make me go through those sort of things. I've always "marched to the beat of my own drums" and no one else is going to do things to me that are hurtful and degrading. Do you really want to be popular that bad? What a sad world we live in.

Old Post 08-01-2003 05:27 PM
Click here to Send Lawless a Private Message View Lawless's Journal Visit Lawless's homepage! Find more posts by Lawless Add Lawless to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Lawless REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
Mike James
The One... and the Two

post #7  quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KJPotter
Kids are idiots

Whoa, there. That's a really broad generalization. I'm 16. I am certainly not an idiot. In fact, I'm smarter and more mature than many adults I know. I run a successful PR, Advertising, and Multimedia consulting practice. Rare? Maybe. But not all kids are idiots.

quote:
Originally posted by KJPotter
if this is where you get your kicks, than there is really something wrong with the way that you're being raised.

That's more like it! It really is a product of how you are raised and, furthermore, pressures from peers.

Our school celebrates Fish Day. The Seniors spend a day with us, getting us wet and then flouring us, mud-wrestling for Twinkies, and dunking us in the pool. After that, we all have lunch, put on a talent show, and play capture the flag. It really is more of the Seniors getting to know us and (playfully) establishing their Seniority and dominance. But then we have a party and all is well.

When you are kicking people around and pouring human waste on them, things have gone too far. Plain and simple. People like that are freaks...

...but here is the point I'm trying to make: this situation, and those like it, are not the norm. There are thousands of high schools across the nation that have successful events like Fish Day without any hazing. But you never hear about those... you always hear the horrible stories of being soaked in pee.

KJ, I am in no way offended by anything you said. (just FYI) It bothers me, though, that idiots like those kids are the ones that set the image for the adults of the world... and they are most certainly NOT the epitome...

I feel sorry for the kids who got kicked around at that high school. I hope criminal charges are filed, and I hope the hazers get a deserving punishment. I feel sorry for the High School, whose name and image has been tarnished by the actions of its worst students. But mostly, I feel sorry for the people that will read that news story and think "Dang. Kids are idiots."

Old Post 08-06-2003 07:11 AM
Click here to Send Mike James a Private Message View Mike James's Journal Visit Mike James's homepage! Find more posts by Mike James Add Mike James to your buddy list Reply w/Quote
Time: 06:50 AM Post New Thread   
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Culture & Society > HaZiNg SuiT
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: