Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Politics & Government > Law > Make My Day
Search this Thread:
Pages (2): « 1 [2]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

Local time: 10:59 AM

post #31  quote:

Oh yeah very probably

Old Post 01-16-2004 09:45 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

TearUUp
Definitively Illumined

Local time: 03:59 AM

post #32  quote:

And that would be MY luck!!!
Burglar: Help police...I was just minding my own business while climbing in through TearUUp's window...when out of nowhere his dog just attacked me for no reason! Then, TearUUp grabbed me and beat the living $hit out of me and put a gun to my head! All for nothing!

Old Post 01-16-2004 09:49 PM
Click here to Send TearUUp a Private Message Find more posts by TearUUp Add TearUUp to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore TearUUp REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #33  quote:

Yeah I totally agree I mean if you are going to walk into the lair of a monster then you got to accept that the monster will kill you.

I'm not saying your a monster tearUup

But you get criminals saying "it is my right not to be attacked" but what about our rights of not being robbed

Old Post 01-16-2004 10:24 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

TearUUp
Definitively Illumined

post #34  quote:

I AM IF SOMEONE COMES IN MY HOUSE WITHOUT MY CONSENT!!! Damn skippy I am!!!

Old Post 01-16-2004 10:28 PM
Click here to Send TearUUp a Private Message Find more posts by TearUUp Add TearUUp to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore TearUUp REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

oldbutafan
The Advocate

Local time: 04:59 AM

post #35  quote:

quote:
TearUUp said this in post #34 :
I AM IF SOMEONE COMES IN MY HOUSE WITHOUT MY CONSENT!!! Damn skippy I am!!!

So, Mr. UP ... is there EVER any doubt as to how you got your nickname ?

It sounds like the area where you live is a safe place ... just because you live there. You, with or without the help of your dog(s) will tear -- as in rip -- up any intruders and one way or another you will make 'em tear-up ... as in cry a lot.

Back to the Wilmette situation, this is a very affluent suburb and now the criminals don't have to be afraid they'll be shot if they break and enter. They can just pick and choose and Wilmette will be a regular burglar buffet.

Old Post 01-17-2004 12:52 AM
Click here to Send oldbutafan a Private Message Find more posts by oldbutafan Add oldbutafan to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore oldbutafan REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

TearUUp
Definitively Illumined

post #36  quote:

Well, I had my car vandalized once by a guy I had gotten into a fight with... but my neighbors keep a pretty good eye on my house during my absences...(They are worried that I won't be there for them if they need my help) so, I tracked the guy down and vandalized his vehicle while he was in it!!! Other than that, I have never been a victim of any type of crime involving my residency! The thing about burglars, (in relation to this Wilmette story) is that the unlocked houses scare em off because they think it's a set up!! The tougher the house to
get into...the richer the spoils in their eyes!!!

Old Post 01-20-2004 08:22 PM

oldbutafan
The Advocate

post #37  quote:

quote:
TearUUp said this in post #36 :
Well, I had my car vandalized once by a guy I had gotten into a fight with... but my neighbors keep a pretty good eye on my house during my absences...(They are worried that I won't be there for them if they need my help) so, I tracked the guy down and vandalized his vehicle while he was in it!!!

Oh my ! Well I guess that's in keeping with his right to face his accusers. Bet the seats of his vehicle were rather damp.

Other than that, I have never been a victim of any type of crime involving my residency!
I was burglarized once, broad daylight, locked house, in the back out the front, on foot, took what they could carry in OUR gym bags bags. Didn't hurt the dog thank goodness. The police said they were probably in, out and away in 10 minutes.

My sick and disabled father also was a victim of what they call "gypsy cons" here. One gets in and keeps you busy or gets you outside with a story ... sick baby, roof problems, or something while a partner comes in the other door and cleans out little things cash, jewelry whatever. These are monsters who prey on the elderly, disabled, and vulnerable innocents.

The thing about burglars, (in relation to this Wilmette story) is that the unlocked houses scare em off because they think it's a set up!! The tougher the house to
get into...the richer the spoils in their eyes!!!

Put up a sign that says "Beware of ARMED Owner ?"

Old Post 01-21-2004 01:00 AM
Click here to Send oldbutafan a Private Message Find more posts by oldbutafan Add oldbutafan to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore oldbutafan REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

TearUUp
Definitively Illumined

post #38  quote:

THAT doesn't even really scare em' off! In criminal psychology we learn that most criminals believe that it is a bluff when someone puts up a sign, never really thinking that someone will actually shoot at them or even catch em'! It is also commonly an adrenaline rush! Some people don't burglarize because they are hurting for cash, but because it gives em' an adrenaline high seeing what they can get away with and how often! If someone was to almost catch em' or almost hurt them...all the more of a challenge!

Old Post 01-21-2004 03:31 PM

Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

Local time: 05:59 AM

post #39  quote:

"criminal psychology?"

Old Post 01-21-2004 09:14 PM
Click here to Send Dekka00 a Private Message View Dekka00's Journal Visit Dekka00's homepage! Find more posts by Dekka00 Add Dekka00 to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

TearUUp
Definitively Illumined

post #40  quote:

What?

Old Post 01-21-2004 09:20 PM

Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

post #41  quote:

i find it funny how there's a seperate branch of psychology for people who break the law. as if they think different than other people, as if it's some kind of mental disease or something.

Old Post 01-21-2004 09:34 PM
Click here to Send Dekka00 a Private Message View Dekka00's Journal Visit Dekka00's homepage! Find more posts by Dekka00 Add Dekka00 to your buddy list Reply w/Quote

TearUUp
Definitively Illumined

post #42  quote:

Well, Criminal psychology is what people study for Law and such, then there's abnormal which is sort of hand in hand with criminal...there is a whole lot to psychology!!!

Old Post 01-21-2004 09:38 PM

Staff
Dekka00
Administrator

post #43  quote:

i think i'm going to try to take a criminal psychology class to see if it's as ridiculous as i think it might be.

i read 1984 for the first time a couple weeks ago and I'm looking at things like "that book wasn't that far out there... yikes!" As if the things legislators come up with on paper dictates how the humans should behave and people who do not behave that way are a psycological anomoly or something and need to be specially and carefully studied.

Old Post 01-21-2004 09:43 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #44  quote:

TearUup is criminal psychology like profiling?

Old Post 01-22-2004 12:39 AM

oldbutafan
The Advocate

Update post #45  quote:

The Wilmette homeowner who shot the burglar, wrote a letter to the local newspapers. Take a minute to read it if you can. Powerful stuff.

Gun owner: I, not cops, got bad guy

January 22, 2004

Three days after Christmas, someone broke into the DeMar family home in Wilmette through a dog door, stealing a television, an SUV and the keys to the home.

The next night, Hale DeMar was prepared for a return visit. With his children upstairs, DeMar, 54, shot burglar Morio Billings, 31, in the shoulder and calf, police said.

Billings was caught at a nearby hospital and charged with felony residential burglary and possession of a stolen car, authorities said.
And, in a move that has drawn criticism, DeMar was cited with breaking Wilmette's ban on handguns and with failing to update his firearm owner's identification card.

The misdemeanors are unlikely to bring jail time. Wilmette Police Chief George Carpenter did not criticize DeMar for protecting his family but said homes are safer without handguns.

DeMar, in a letter sent to the Chicago Sun-Times, is now speaking out:

Village Trustees ... Stick to Parade Schedules & Planting our Parks

Many of us have experienced a sense of violation upon returning to our homes, only to find that someone else has been there. Someone else has trespassed in our bedrooms, looting and stealing that which is readily replaced.
Many of us, still haunted by that violation, will never again have a sense of security in our own homes.

Few, however, have awakened to realize that they had been violated as they slept in their beds, doors locked, as family dogs patrolled their homes. For me, the seconds until I found my children still safely tucked in their beds were horrifying. The thought that a young child may have been hurt or abducted was incomprehensible.

The police were called and in routine fashion they came, took the report and with little concern left, promising to increase surveillance. Little comfort, since the invader now had keys to our home and our automobiles. The police informed me that this was not an uncommon event in east Wilmette and offered their condolences.

What is one to do when a criminal proceeds, undeterred by a 90-pound German shepherd, an alarm system and a property ... lit up like an outdoor stadium? And now, he had my house keys and an inventory of things he'd like to call his own.

Would the police patrol my dead-end street as effectively the second time as they had the first? Would my small children be unharmed the next time? Would the career criminal be satisfied with another automobile, another television or would he feel the need, once again, to climb the staircase up to the bedrooms, perhaps for a watch or a ring or a wallet, again risking little?

Would my children wake to find a masked figure, clad in black, in their bedroom doorway, a vision that might haunt them for years? Would the police come again and fill out yet another report, and at what point should I feel comfortable that the 'bad guy' got everything he wanted and wouldn't return again, a third time?

I went to the safe where my licensed and registered gun was kept, loaded it for the very first time and tucked it under the mattress of my bed. I assured my frightened children ''that daddy would deal with the bad guy ... if he ever returned.'' Little did I imagine that this brazen animal was waiting in the backyard bushes as I tucked my children into bed.

Fifteen minutes after bedtime, the alarm went off. Three minutes after the alarm was triggered, the alarm company alerted the police to the situation and 10 minutes later the first police car pulled up to my home, but only after another call was made to 911, by a trembling, half-naked father.

I suppose some would have grabbed their children and cowered in their bedroom for 13 minutes, praying that the police would get there in time to stop the criminal from climbing the stairs and confronting the family in their bedroom, dreading the sound of a bedroom door being kicked in. That's not the fear I wanted my children to experience, nor is it the cowardly act that I want my children to remember me by.

Until you are shocked by a piercing alarm in the middle of the night and met in your kitchen by a masked invader as your children shudder in their beds, until you confront that very real nightmare, please don't suggest that some village trustee knows better and he/she can effectively task the police to protect your family from the miscreants that this society has produced.

This career criminal had been arrested thirty times. He was wanted in Georgia and for parole violations in Minnesota. How many family homes had he violated, how many innocent lives were affected, how many police reports went into some back office file cabinet, only to become some abstract statistic? How is it that rabid animals like this are free to roam the streets, violating our homes and threatening the safety of our children?

If my actions have spared only one family from the distress and trauma that this habitual criminal has caused hundreds of others, then I have served my civic duty and taken one evil creature off of our streets, something that our impotent criminal justice system had failed to do, despite some thirty odd arrests, plea bargains and suspended sentences.

Hale DeMar, Wilmette

Source: Chicago Sun Times

Old Post 01-22-2004 03:09 PM

TearUUp
Definitively Illumined

post #46  quote:

Good story OBAF!!! I remember once when I was a kid hearing about this guy that ran a locksmithing operation and made duplicate keys of everyone that walked into his business! He wound up going on a massive burglary spree on all the houses that he had helped his customers get back into and cars were stolen, etc. The funny thing...the guy was like 75 years old!!!

Old Post 01-22-2004 03:15 PM

oldbutafan
The Advocate

Charges post #47  quote:

Word here is that not only did the police charge Mr. De Mar, but they charged the intruder with a "lesser charge" than they could have.

Apparently with the charges as they stand Mr. De Mar cannot claim "neccescity", thus it hurts his defense and it also opens the door for a lawsuit by the criminal.

I don't know about level of charges ... maybe tear does ? ... but I am just trying to figure out why these folks are exacerbating the situation for Mr. De Mar.

Old Post 01-22-2004 03:29 PM

TearUUp
Definitively Illumined

post #48  quote:

Does this help?

Prosecutors declined to charge DeMar in the shooting because they concluded he acted in self-defense. They did charge him with violating the North Shore suburb's handgun ban and with breaking a state law by failing to renew his Illinois Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card after it expired in 1988. The first charge carries a $750 fine; the second up to a year in jail, a $2,500 fine or court supervision or probation.

That DeMar would face any charges in a case of self-defense irked some in Wilmette and elsewhere. But officials had little choice since DeMar violated the handgun ban.

That fact won't mollify many gun-rights advocates, some of whom packed a village board meeting Tuesday to complain that DeMar should not be punished for defending his family. "My Plan A is to call 911 and keep the family upstairs," said one Wilmette resident. "But my Plan B is to have a loaded firearm and put a bullet in the intruder."

Despite the emotional meeting, there's no reason to repeal Wilmette's ban, which was enacted in 1989. Certainly the value of a handgun ban in a low-crime community like Wilmette is mainly symbolic. This is a town, after all, that has had no homicides since 2000, and averages only a handful of other serious crimes every year.

If I go further, it dips into Gun Bans and Firearm laws which is a whole other topic!

Old Post 01-22-2004 03:51 PM

oldbutafan
The Advocate

post #49  quote:

Tear ... I guess I wasn't clear ...

The Wilmette Police apparently charged the INTRUDER with a lesser charge than they could have, making it harder for DeMar to argue HIS case as well as leaving him open to being sued by the guy he shot ... because with the level at which the INTRUDER is charged, DeMar can't claim "neccesity".

From the previous letter/article:

Billings [the intruder] was caught at a nearby hospital and charged with felony residential burglary and possession of a stolen car, authorities said

Old Post 01-22-2004 04:54 PM

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #50  quote:

quote:
TearUUp said this in post #46 :
Good story OBAF!!! I remember once when I was a kid hearing about this guy that ran a locksmithing operation and made duplicate keys of everyone that walked into his business! He wound up going on a massive burglary spree on all the houses that he had helped his customers get back into and cars were stolen, etc. The funny thing...the guy was like 75 years old!!!

That sounds like the Deacon Brodie story (famous in this part of the world) the inspiration for Dr Jekkly and Mr Hyde.
And that is my useless bit of information for today

Old Post 01-22-2004 04:59 PM

TearUUp
Definitively Illumined

post #51  quote:

Aha...my bad! They probably charged the criminal with "Unlawful entry" or something similar! Who knows? They have taken the focus off the criminal and focused the crime on the INNOCENT guy!

Old Post 01-22-2004 05:09 PM

oldbutafan
The Advocate

post #52  quote:

quote:
TearUUp said this in post #51 :
Aha...my bad! They probably charged the criminal with "Unlawful entry" or something similar! Who knows? They have taken the focus off the criminal and focused the crime on the INNOCENT guy!

This is absolutely criminalizing the victim.

People are now saying DeMar should sue the Police and those arrogant Trustees for failing to protect him.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I have a lot of respect for Law Enforcement ... but why DIDN'T they increase surveilance ? And why did they take so long ... 13 minutes ! ... to respond ? The Police were aware of the situation and it's not like the police are overwhelmed by a heavy crime load in that area ! 13 minutes must have felt like a lifetime to Mr. De Mar.

I find it all very suspicious.

Old Post 01-22-2004 05:32 PM

TearUUp
Definitively Illumined

post #53  quote:

I agree with that! I am not one to call the cops...I myself DO NOT LIKE them, but I will not bad mouth em'...but for them to downplay the criminal and to criticize DeMar...hmmmm???

Old Post 01-22-2004 05:41 PM
Time: 10:59 AM Post New Thread   
Pages (2): « 1 [2]    Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Politics & Government > Law > Make My Day
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: