Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Sports & Recreation > International Soccer > Bend "what" like Beckham?
Search this Thread:
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
Staff
Sierradaddy
Days of Future Past...

Local time: 12:36 AM

Talking Bend "what" like Beckham? post #1  quote:

Ok, I don't watch a lot of soccer, or football, depending on what continent you hail from. I have NEVER seen this Beckham character play the sport, but I have seen some games recently and I've found that I'm gaining a subtle interest in the sport.

What makes Beckham worth ten men's weight in gold? Why is he so popular? Is he really that good?

I'm also a bit interested in the economics of the sport, as well as the apparently volatile fan interest... How much $ does the average team generate? And why is this such a passionate sport for so many people?

Old Post 11-08-2003 04:12 AM
Click here to Send Sierradaddy a Private Message Find more posts by Sierradaddy Add Sierradaddy to your buddy list Sierradaddy's MSN ID is smoothline98@hotmail.com Reply w/Quote

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

Local time: 10:36 PM

post #2  quote:

MR F HERE
Im not sure I can answer all of your questions since you asked so many , but let me give a couple of them a shot. David Beckham is one of the best soccer players on the planet, his passing , shooting ,and ball handling skills are all top notch, but its his role on the team that makes him so valuable. When he plays for his country (England) , he very much controlls the game,much like a quarterback in US football ,not so much for his club team (Real Madrid) though. He is well known for his freekick taking ability, most people rating him the best in the world.
As for his popularity, thats easy.
1- He is a great player
2-He is a very good looking man
3-He married one of the spice girls , making he and his wife more talked about in England than the royal family.
Men admire his soccer skills, boys want to be like him, and girls put his posters on the wall. We dont have any sports figures like him over here in the states.
Last year I saw an article about the richest sports orginazitions in the world and it listed-
1Manchester United
2New York Yankees
3Real Madrid
A bid was offered for Man U a couple of years ago for $1billion US, im sure it would be worth more than that now.
Its hard to explian why soccer is so important over there so try to imagine this, there is no football ,no basketball, no hockey,no baseball, just soccer. All the sports fanatics you know are all into soccer, your parents supported the local soccer team, as thier parents did, as you do. Thats what its like for most of the rest of the world.

Old Post 11-08-2003 08:06 AM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

moses
Rookie

Local time: 12:36 AM

post #3  quote:

Beckham is indeed a great player, but his incredible popularity is more of a result of his looks and the way he is marketed. On the pitch (field) he is one of the best ball strikers in the world. He is particularly dangerous in set plays (direct/indirect, corner and penalty kicks). However, he is not known for speed, and his position does not put him in a position to score often. In fact, Cristiano Ronaldo, the young Portuguese star who replaced him for Man U has shown to be every bit, if not more, effective because he can take players on one v. one (Beckham doesn't do that).

Old Post 11-11-2003 06:09 PM
Click here to Send moses a Private Message Find more posts by moses Add moses to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore moses REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

Local time: 06:36 AM

post #4  quote:

I am mad on soccer I have watched it and played it for as long as I can remember so I will try and answer some of the questions you asked
First Beckham is without a shadow of a doubt the most overrated player on the face of the planet his only real strength is his crossing and free kicks everything else is pretty normal whn you see him in a team of real talented players he is overshadowed by Real Madrid players like Zidane and Ronaldo and Raul. In short Beckham got a really good agent.

You ask about voaltile fans well I live in a country with the most voaltile fans in the world Galsgow Rangers fans and Celtic fans this is the biggest rivalry in football it is like warfare with a ball if you ever get a chance to see an old firm game take that chance it is something you wont believe.

I do agree with yopu about Christian Ronaldo but Beckahms replacement is a kid called Darren Fletcher he is classed as one of the best young palyers in the world and he is Scottish .
Anyway sorry is I rabbited on but that is a football fan for ya

Old Post 11-11-2003 09:08 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Maja88
Veteran

Local time: 07:36 AM

post #5  quote:

Yeah but Cristiano Ronaldo is cute. It's not only the hole in their game that Man Utd had to fill...

Old Post 11-29-2003 12:23 AM
Click here to Send Maja88 a Private Message Find more posts by Maja88 Add Maja88 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore Maja88 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

congo2
Rookie

post #6  quote:

you gotta admit, beckham is doing much better than everyone thought with Real. He is also playing in the middle which Sir Alex never let him play. Many, if not most, believed it might be a bit of a challenge to get on the field for him.

He has been one of the best players so far for Real. The guy is not flashy on the pitch, except for his set pieces and crosses. Maybe that is another reason he is not given credit from people that know the sport. he has been marketed well obviously, but time & time again he has proved he is worth it.

Old Post 12-09-2003 07:27 AM
Click here to Send congo2 a Private Message Find more posts by congo2 Add congo2 to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore congo2 REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
lodgebo
INReview Maven

post #7  quote:

I am not saying Beckham is a bad player I just think he is overrated, look at Man U everyone though they would struggle without him and they have not if anything they have improved, also at Madrid yeah he is doing well but imagine this who do you think the Madrid boss would be more worried about losing Beckham or Zidane.

I admit he is a wonderful set piece taker and after watching Madrid v Barca he is also one of the hardest workers it is just that I honestly think there are better players in the Madrid team and in general for example a fir Ronaldinho at Barca is probably a lot more effective.

Old Post 12-09-2003 12:19 PM
Click here to Send lodgebo a Private Message Find more posts by lodgebo Add lodgebo to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore lodgebo REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

Local time: 10:36 PM

post #8  quote:

MR F HERE

You have to admire the guy for even taking on the job. He went from being the big star at Man U to a position where he couldnt possibly be the star. His role is goal provider not scorer, and he has done well at this. Unless he is a complete idiot he had to know this type of criticism was comming, but he went on to a new challenge, to better his skills, or perhaps to sate his wife. In which case he is again a complete idiot.

Old Post 12-10-2003 01:01 AM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Staff
White Tiger
Trust Me

post #9  quote:

I could personally go on for about a day on how much I don't like Beckham. The only thing he is good at is crosses and free kicks, of course this is my personal opinion, I have hated him since the 90s.

I think its because of the amount of media coverage he get that he is so popular, but that is also the reason I hate him. It got to the stage where you couldn't pick up a paper or turn on the T.V. with seeing David Beckham. I mean do I really have to know what he is going to call his kids, do I really have to know what his next hairstyle is going to be and does anyone really care?!

He left Man Utd because of clashes of egos, his and Sir Alex Ferguson's. Now I don't care if your the highest paid Footballer/soccer player in the world, if your employed by Man Utd you don't challenge the authority of Sir Alex. That was a battle that was doom from the start, and does it really surprise anyone that they haven't talked to each other since Beckham moved to Real Madrid?

You know it isn't only Beckham that I don't like, I don't like his wife Victoria. I mean, come on, what spice girl can actually sing? Victoria released another song a little while ago and it got no where. I think that if Beckham hadn't married Victoria he would still be looking like he did back in the early 90s.

Anyway I digress. Who knows how the phenominon of David Beckham came to be? I don't and personally I don't really care.

Old Post 03-12-2004 10:15 AM
Click here to Send White Tiger a Private Message Find more posts by White Tiger Add White Tiger to your buddy list Reply w/Quote
Time: 06:36 AM Post New Thread   
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Sports & Recreation > International Soccer > Bend "what" like Beckham?
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: