Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum Chat or Talk in the INReview Discussion Forum

register chat members links refer search home
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Culture & Society > What should I do? 2 year old turn for the worse
Search this Thread:
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   
1time
Qualified Rookie

Local time: 06:39 AM

What should I do? 2 year old turn for the worse post #1  quote:

I have a 2 1/2 year old girl who used to sleep all through the night with no problem. We put her down for nap time or night and she had no problem with it. We wouldn't hear from her until morning. That dramatically changed about 3 months ago.

We still have her in a crib so she can't get out and run around. We had planned on putting her in a bed by know but that's when things changed. Now, she screams and yells when we try to put her down, no matter how tired she is. We rock her and rub her back and read to her and everything but nothing seems to make a difference. If we let her cry, she will go on for over an hour. She screams at the top of her lungs. Once we finally get her to go to sleep, she wakes up every 1/2 hour or so. Usually she gets up at least 5-6 times a night, yelling for mom and dad. We go in to her room, comfort her, and plead with her to go back to sleep. We are going CRAZY!!

I don't know if she is having bad dreams or scared of something. When it gets really bad, or if there is a storm, we let her sleep in our bed but avoid it most of the time. We don't want to start a habit. Then she would never agree to sleep in her bed.

Has this happened to anyone else out there? What can I do and why is this happening? I can't figure out what changed.

Old Post 11-04-2003 04:00 PM
Click here to Send 1time a Private Message Find more posts by 1time Add 1time to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore 1time REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

Gold Member
mystic
Evil Queen

Re: What should I do? 2 year old turn for the worse post #2  quote:

quote:
Originally posted by 1time
I have a 2 1/2 year old girl who used to sleep all through the night with no problem. We put her down for nap time or night and she had no problem with it. We wouldn't hear from her until morning. That dramatically changed about 3 months ago.

We still have her in a crib so she can't get out and run around. We had planned on putting her in a bed by know but that's when things changed. Now, she screams and yells when we try to put her down, no matter how tired she is. We rock her and rub her back and read to her and everything but nothing seems to make a difference. If we let her cry, she will go on for over an hour. She screams at the top of her lungs. Once we finally get her to go to sleep, she wakes up every 1/2 hour or so. Usually she gets up at least 5-6 times a night, yelling for mom and dad. We go in to her room, comfort her, and plead with her to go back to sleep. We are going CRAZY!!

I don't know if she is having bad dreams or scared of something. When it gets really bad, or if there is a storm, we let her sleep in our bed but avoid it most of the time. We don't want to start a habit. Then she would never agree to sleep in her bed.

Has this happened to anyone else out there? What can I do and why is this happening? I can't figure out what changed.

My son did the same thing...but he started it close to 2 years....

I couldnt stand the thought of listening to him cry like that. We would do ALL the same things you did, but he would not calm down. My friend went through the same thing with her daughter...so you arent alone.

What we did (and what her and her husband did with their daughter) was bring him in our bed. I know some people dont agree with that, but he did eventually go back to his room....it took a little over a year, but eventually he did. My doctor said as they grow older and their minds start working more, they tend to get afraid. He didnt really want us bringing him in our room, but Im only human....I couldnt allow my child to be frightened at night....he's my child...I did what I felt was best for him; to make him comfortable. Even now there are times he crawls in our bed...he's five. If he does, that means something in the night scared him....I refuse to take him back to his room if he is afraid....if I did that, I would not feel that I am protecting him. I would be horrified to think that he was alone in his room afraid because some people didnt think it was right for him to sleep with us once in a while when he got scared.

Its a phase, it will pass....but it really depends on what you feel is best for her. If you dont agree with bringing her in your room, then maybe your doctor might have some suggestions...but if you feel you want to, let your own heart decide what you feel is best for her.

I wish you luck...its a hard phase out of many you will experience.....the best thing to do is what you feel is best. I know that may not help you...but thats how I handled it....and although it took awhile...he went back to his room.

Old Post 11-04-2003 06:26 PM
Click here to Send mystic a Private Message Find more posts by mystic Add mystic to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore mystic REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

Local time: 04:39 AM

post #3  quote:

Big beds can make little children feel insecure. They miss the safety of their crib. My daughter is almost two and 1/2 and she will not sleep in her bed without the same thing happening, unless it is daylight. My girl is going through separation problems, so, as bad as this sounds, I rock her to sleep. If that does'nt work, I let her sleep with us. Mystic, I am taking your word that this will end-please let her be right

1Time, you are not alone. I get so tired of the lack of sleep, that she ends up with me most of the time. Heck, she fights sleep most of the time.

Old Post 11-04-2003 07:31 PM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

1time
Qualified Rookie

post #4  quote:

Mystic, thanks for the advise and reassurance. I would like to take her to our bed but my wife is against it. She feels it will set a precedents and then it will become a nightly ritual. I agree with you though, it breaks my heart to listen to her cry and think that she is terrified all alone in her room.

Fuscia, we still have her in the crib because we worry that she was in a big bed, she would never stay in it nor her room. I don't like the idea either of her walking around the house at night while we sleep. I fear she could get into big trouble. She has one of those crib-4-life beds so I may drop it down and open the side just to give it a try. But like I said, I'm just a little nervous about the idea.

Ironically, I had to break from typing this because she just woke up in the middle of her nap crying! Now she sits with me and I type with only my right hand....!!

Old Post 11-04-2003 09:38 PM
Click here to Send 1time a Private Message Find more posts by 1time Add 1time to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore 1time REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote

fuscia is Away
Diamond Member
fuscia
no title

Local time: 04:39 AM

post #5  quote:

quote:
Originally posted by 1time
Ironically, I had to break from typing this because she just woke up in the middle of her nap crying! Now she sits with me and I type with only my right hand....!! [/B]

Hon, you are preaching to the choir! I can't tell you how many times I have had to get her out of bed and hold her while I finished typing. In a weird way, it is nice to know that I am not alone. I guess this will be the unofficial support for non-sleepers thread.

Seriously, let us know how it goes and PLEASE pass on any tips that work. I could use them too. My first born is 4, he had problems with night-terrors. Now, since we went through the fires, he is waking up terrified that something will happen. It is a strange thing to wake up to a kid checking to see that we are all alright.

As for wandering at night. I was worried about that with my oldest. He never did. He still comes straight into my room. Most kids are afraid of the dark, so they will go to mom or dad first. It helps to put locks on the top of the doors so you know your kid can not leave the house.

Old Post 11-04-2003 09:50 PM
View fuscia's Journal Find more posts by fuscia Add fuscia to your buddy list Click Here to Ignore fuscia REPORT this Post to a ModeratorNOMINATE this Post for Reward Points Reply w/Quote
Time: 12:39 PM Post New Thread   
  Print Version | Email Page | Bookmark | Subscribe to Thread
INReview INReview > The Scuttlebutt Lounge > Culture & Society > What should I do? 2 year old turn for the worse
Search this Thread:
Forum Rules: